Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Swords of Legends Online is a xianxia action mmorpg that just went live!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Looks like we're still waiting for someone to start a guild so I just went ahead and did it, "Crab RanGoon" in-game. Can message me at "Matchbox" for an invite, or any other member. Everyone has invite permissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak4Fx1UoWeQ

https://join.solo.gameforge.com/en_US/

It's a one-time preorder purchase to get into the closed beta now. It's pretty fun.

It has 6 classes with 2 roles each.

- Spellswords are typical wuxia sword people. They have a melee and ranged dps role.

- Reapers are edgelords with big scythes. They somehow have a support (healer) and melee dps role.

- Summoners have cute animal spirits. They have support and ranged dps roles.

- Bards are bards. They do bard things, but wuxia style, so they use those big sitting stringed instruments. Support and ranged dps roles.

- Berserkers are berserkers. They do berserker things, but wuxia style. Tank and melee dps roles.

- Spearmaster are super agile and can pull enemies in. Tank and melee dps roles.

Player Housing

- I have no idea how expansive this is, but you have your own private floating island that you can build a temple and garden on. There are some details in the stream here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psdIM9w78kk

I'll update as I can find videos about it that aren't 4 hours of streamers rambling and standing in place.

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I'm still just starting this but all the classes seem to have different starting zones for a little bit at least. I don't know if I'll go back after the 15-30 minutes I spent there though.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The healing classes are basically pure healing so you can't level as them. Luckily each class has two specs with at least one DPS.

The translations are really ... inconsistent and bad in places but I think they said they know that and are still fixing it up. It does make some quests difficult since you don't know what they're asking as nothing lines up

Jumping around is fun. One more day of hand washing until panda....

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the game is actually pretty sick, I wasn't expecting it. I'm purposely avoiding reading the quests though until release

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I did a reaper to 25 or something and then started a spear person and they get different mystical swords at the start which was interesting. Not sure how it will matter later.

Also there’s a built in dps meter you can activate from one of the buttons under the mini map. They’re labeled combat stats.

doomisland fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 23, 2021

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

The jumping is awesome.

If you double jump off high ground they have a specia combo so you can do an edge lord landing straight into a sprint run.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

doomisland posted:

The healing classes are basically pure healing so you can't level as them. Luckily each class has two specs with at least one DPS.

The translations are really ... inconsistent and bad in places but I think they said they know that and are still fixing it up. It does make some quests difficult since you don't know what they're asking as nothing lines up

Jumping around is fun. One more day of hand washing until panda....

Translations definitely still feel in progress. They did a neat thing early where they highlighted the important bits of convos in different colors but stopped doing that.

The chat keeps saying it will have English dubs at launch so maybe subtitle improvements will come with that.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
How long's the beta lasting?
Nvm

MMORPG.com posted:

But in case you missed that announcement, this first test will begin today and run through May 25. The second test period will start on June 1 and end on June 8.

Zam Wesell fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 23, 2021

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
There's also like 3 classes currently not available for us, some little fox girl thing, a samurai and... some other class I forget. Can't seem to find any details about how they work anywhere though. Performance seems pretty bad overall right now, my PC can handle stuff like FFXIV at max settings 1080p with no trouble and yet struggles to maintain even 60fps here in crowded areas on high settings. There is supposed to be a shift to UE4 at some point in the future which should help.

Yeah, tanks and healers are supposed to be "honest" tanks and healers here, it sounds like there definitely isn't FFXIV-style green or blue DPS going on here. Though apparently both tanks and healers are much more involved in those roles at least.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Reading these posts makes it sound like a newer Blade and Soul, does it feel like that to play?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I’ve been on a 1080 getting 150fps at 1440p at high settings so it isn’t optimized that badly.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

My 3090 will get 150 (when i have it capped to 140...) and then dive into the 50s outside a dungeon entrance ha. Overall seems to be all over but in the open world I have no issues so no real complaints. UE4 hopefully is as good as people are saying for performance.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Questions I have:

1. Is there a way to easily teleport places? The only place I can easily teleport to is my class area with the transfer rune. (Which I can use the map when I get there)
2. Where is a heartstring vendor?

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

eonwe posted:

Questions I have:

1. Is there a way to easily teleport places? The only place I can easily teleport to is my class area with the transfer rune. (Which I can use the map when I get there)
2. Where is a heartstring vendor?

I saw a heart string vendor in the first city I believe near the rest of the merchants.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Should also note that apparently characters will be reset after the 2nd beta test so don't worry too much about poopsocking all the way to cap, I certainly aren't. Still playing a swordmaster but might try out another class before beta ends, maybe the berserker dude.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ort posted:

Reading these posts makes it sound like a newer Blade and Soul, does it feel like that to play?

At first I thought it was going to be blade and soulish, but the combat isn't really similar.

One of the things that I liked the most about B&S combat is how reactive it was, all melee classes had poo poo to parry/dodge attacks that lead to counter attacks which lead to stuns or knockups/knockdowns that lead to other combos. SOLO classes do have combos, but they dont feel as meaty or reactive as B&S. On the other hand SOLOs class roles are much more defined, leading to more structured PvE encounters and they seem to be better made than B&S.

So the best way to approach the game is whether or not you want a more modern WoW in a fantasy wuxia setting. I think at the very least, if you are interested in Wuxia in general then its worth the $40 on just the production values. The world is beautiful, the music is great, the story is wuxia and slathered to the brim with inscrutable chinagame jank we all love.

Im going to give a brief description of the classes I've played:

Spearmaster- First class I played, relatively ok mobility having access to a gap closer with 3 charges and short cooldown. From what I saw its probably the class that relies most on combos from cooldowns. Your damage is pitiful unless you are using your enhanced abilities that you only have access after using other attacks with relative high cooldowns. It feels very restrictive early on but once you get enough abilities you can chain between them and the enhanced left click/right click attacks to always be doing good damage. Stay away if cooldown base gameplay is not for you, can be very punishing if you screw up buttons. School hall is a series of high flying clockpunk ships.

Berserker- Second melee class I played, sharp contrast to spearmaster. Very few cooldowns and your most powerful abilities are charged attacks that have no cooldown. Its all about setting up strong charge attacks to blow away your enemies. Your cooldowns provide burst and gap closing among other things. The two offense options seem to be either improving your charge attack gameplay or focusing more on your mirror images to do more damage. Can turn into a big fuckoff wolf and carry your sword in your mouth like Sif to move yourself, your buddies can also ride you. Tank stance is about getting drunk. School hall is a top of a bunch of trees.

Summoner- Second class I played, is a mix between cooldowns and basic attacks. You want to left click a few times to generate instant casts on your right click, that hits harder, both have good splash damage. Then on your specializations you are either going to be focusing on summoning a variety of minions and totems or focusing on the little spirit fox rabbit thing. The totem one has higher cooldown dependency from what I saw but does have proccs, I was turned off by it since the game doesnt have an aura system like WoW so it felt I had to keep an eye on the bars to see it show up. I rather play with the little bunny thing, shorter cooldowns and he hits pretty hard when using them. School hall is a very pretty floating rock, filled with flowers both natural and giant stone types and and a big tittied stone statue in the background.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

little spirit fox rabbit thing

Knockoff carbuncle :colbert:

But yeah, there's not animation locks for melee or context abilities. It's more similar to GW2's tab targeting with action-y bits rather than Tera or B&S.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
really enjoying bard so far, once you can swap over to fire spells and get the passives that proc insta-cast on your main nuke everything just melts. spellsword is also pretty fun but they're high APM in a way that could get irritating later on.

spent an embarrassing amount of time just loving around with the wardrobe feature and I'm pleasantly surprised that all the cash shop cosmetics seem account-wide. I can't say that anything is blowing me away atm, but the xianxia aesthetic is gorgeous and it feels solid enough to fill that backup-game niche GW2 used to occupy for me.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

which class is the most mobile? I like Moving Fast

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Spearmaster has agility as a class mechanic, so probably that.

HOTKEY TIPS:

G is autorun, and it automatically enables sprint

Ctrl + Z is the group finder

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Also make sure you wash your hands every day for the beta to get a cute panda shoulder pet.

Cosmetics in this game look really good. Between really elaborate outfits and silly stuff like this I'm onboard.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

eonwe posted:

Questions I have:

You get a port anywhere skill midway through that has a 90min cooldown, there are items to reduce the cooldown of this (ugh). Student 1 gains access to residence and that gets both a "save spot as memory to return from residence portal" and "go to residence portal".

All in all, it's very annoying, but at least the return to class area goes straight to cloudrise and the map (even tho i can never remember which areas border which, because they dont all get map access)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dackel posted:

You get a port anywhere skill midway through that has a 90min cooldown, there are items to reduce the cooldown of this (ugh). Student 1 gains access to residence and that gets both a "save spot as memory to return from residence portal" and "go to residence portal".

All in all, it's very annoying, but at least the return to class area goes straight to cloudrise and the map (even tho i can never remember which areas border which, because they dont all get map access)

tyvm!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does this game have instanced dungeons, and if so are they any good? How does the loot work?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Does this game have instanced dungeons, and if so are they any good? How does the loot work?

Dungeons are all instanced, 4 different difficulties. The first one, Drill/Practice, is pretty soloable with npcs and what you'll be doing while levelling, whereas higher difficulties you will probably want other players for. You can matchmake or manually group for them. The two I've done so far were pretty short and linear. Loot is both personal and, later on, rolled for, so it seems like nobody should go for too long without loot. As far as I can tell each dungeon has its own armour and weapon set to get. There is a lockout on loot for any difficulty above the first one, either daily or weekly depending on difficulty I think. Game's got inbuilt DPS meters, a dungeon guide and DBM that party leaders can customise as well so all the modern stuff you'd want in this kind of MMO. Loot can be upgraded with certain materials as well, and bought via money or tokens at endgame apparently (I'm not there yet). According to people playing the CHinese/Taiwan version the dungeons get pretty drat hard on the higher modes, which the playerbase that migrated over from WoW/FFXIV appreciates.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, that all sounds pretty cool! I'll see if I can find some Twitch streams to see how it plays and may buy this to play for the rest of this beta period.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I really like it but really wish it ran better. I've got an i7, 16gb, 1660ti which isn't super past the recommended specs but still.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

dreffen posted:

I really like it but really wish it ran better. I've got an i7, 16gb, 1660ti which isn't super past the recommended specs but still.

That's about my specs as well (though I'm on an i5) and I think I'm gonna have to turn it down to medium settings because the performance really is not good even on high. And that setup isn't exactly a slouch for 1080p either. Poor performance seems widespread, lot of people on Reddit and ingame complaining about it.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Theres some rumor of a UE4 upgrade this fall for China but I don't know what the means for this version. Not sure if that will make it better or worse for performance haha. I have a 3090 and getting swings of 40-150 on Ultra @1440p. It is amusing how little information there seems to be in western media compared to the usual affair for a mmo launch.

Loot is also "smart loot" or however you call it and you won't get a second item you have if there is an upgrade in the dungeon (apparently).

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I think the loot is smart, I farmed up the set from the first dungeon and I only started getting duplicates when I'd filled in every slot with that dungeon's gear. That set looking pretty cool actually:

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 24, 2021

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

BurningCourage posted:

That's about my specs as well (though I'm on an i5) and I think I'm gonna have to turn it down to medium settings because the performance really is not good even on high. And that setup isn't exactly a slouch for 1080p either. Poor performance seems widespread, lot of people on Reddit and ingame complaining about it.

I've honestly noticed no difference between ultra, medium, or even 'speed'. It's weird.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

It must be super CPU limited if people with 30x0s are getting bad performance. I've got a 9700k with a 1080 and it runs fine on High presets. Are you still running hair physics?

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I actually had a lot of fun playing it this weekend, made it to Beginner 20. I...wasn't expecting to enjoy it, and all of my friends almost immediately uninstalled it and said it was garbage, so I'm seriously worried there's something wrong with me now.

It's basically just a poorly-translated modern-day WoW-like, but there are a bunch of different systems, progression, and toys to play with. I very much appreciate how detailed the class tutorial instances are; I noticed there are even generic DPS tutorials for 'how to interrupt bosses' and stuff that I haven't checked out yet. They're really trying to bring everyone up to an expert level of play, which makes me slightly hopeful for a fairly skilled community at endgame.

Of course....there's no way this game becomes a massive hit in the West regardless, but I enjoyed it enough that I'll come back for the next beta weekend and see if I can't hit the beta cap (and check out housing).

Also I found a Goose that supposedly needs to be placed in my house so that absolutely must happen before the launch wipe.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Pryce posted:

I actually had a lot of fun playing it this weekend, made it to Beginner 20. I...wasn't expecting to enjoy it, and all of my friends almost immediately uninstalled it and said it was garbage, so I'm seriously worried there's something wrong with me now.

It's basically just a poorly-translated modern-day WoW-like, but there are a bunch of different systems, progression, and toys to play with. I very much appreciate how detailed the class tutorial instances are; I noticed there are even generic DPS tutorials for 'how to interrupt bosses' and stuff that I haven't checked out yet. They're really trying to bring everyone up to an expert level of play, which makes me slightly hopeful for a fairly skilled community at endgame.

Of course....there's no way this game becomes a massive hit in the West regardless, but I enjoyed it enough that I'll come back for the next beta weekend and see if I can't hit the beta cap (and check out housing).

Also I found a Goose that supposedly needs to be placed in my house so that absolutely must happen before the launch wipe.

lol I found the same goose nice.

I think your modern-day WoW comparison is spot on. The quests can be a little tedious but they've all been short and don't too take long. I also appreciate the "Biography" progression as it lets me pick and follow either pve or pvp story lines.

Fun to level up so far, need to party up and try more instances.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Reaper is interesting. I haven't played the big name MMOs recently so I don't know what mechanics are stolen from what, but it essentially has a "buffer" that collects a certain % of the damage you do to a mob, then you can detonate it to deal that damage. Their health bar even automatically gives you a visual estimate of how much that is. Initially I thought you would just fill it up until you have enough and burst it, but then it seemed like the "buffer" window is shorter than described and old damage was falling out, so best move is to do max dps and then pop it to maximize it.

I didn't really get a chance to figure out too much with it. The things that really modified how it works seemed to be especially badly translated, so I felt like I was kinda button mashing a bunch. It seems like they get a triple jump where others only double jump? (But maybe you just get the triple later and I didn't notice when it changed.)

In broader design, I guess it's kinda like the smuggler in SWTOR, which was a melee stealth/healing class. The "stealth" here is only a temp buff on a cool down, though. Obviously didn't play around with healing much at all.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Everyone gets some kind of triple jump, I'm playing spellsword and have it too.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

The jumping is the best part tbh

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Update: I repasted my laptop heatsink and cpu/gpu and everything's fine - runs on ultra at 80-90 fps.

Thermal paste was very crumbly and lovely.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 24, 2021

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

RisqueBarber posted:

The jumping is the best part tbh

Jumping can make or break a MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I also like when I start to zoom on my sword mount in the sky and immediately drive right into a pagoda or something