Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Which class is as fun and cool to play as reaper is bad and boring? Heh. Sorry to any reaper bros out there... just my take after getting to level 36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

vandalism posted:

Which class is as fun and cool to play as reaper is bad and boring? Heh. Sorry to any reaper bros out there... just my take after getting to level 36.

Berserker has a solid damage move that is "hit once to make all your phantoms cluster around the target. Hit again to make them explode." Bind to mouse wheel down, build up phantoms, spin your mouse wheel down, drop a bunch of synchronized ghost hammers on heads. I don't hate it.

You turn into a wolf that carries your big-rear end sword in your mouth. Running into dudes in this form causes damage. Other players can ride you if you right click them and hit "Invite to participate." I've started getting lots of demands for piggy back rides to start 3-on-3 pvp.

I haven't tried much tanking yet, but the spec is Drunken Master and you throw booze at dudes you make them mad and attack you.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How many EU goons do we have? Not sure if there's enough to start a goon guild or if it's better for me and my gf to find a random pubbie guild

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Xun posted:

How many EU goons do we have? Not sure if there's enough to start a goon guild or if it's better for me and my gf to find a random pubbie guild

There's at least a couple EU goons in the discord, if you wanted to pull them together that would work. The primary issue is that a guild has a hard minimum of 10 members, otherwise it gets deleted within 48 hrs. So if there aren't a lot of EU goons you would need to invite others as well.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's at least a couple EU goons in the discord, if you wanted to pull them together that would work. The primary issue is that a guild has a hard minimum of 10 members, otherwise it gets deleted within 48 hrs. So if there aren't a lot of EU goons you would need to invite others as well.

Yeah, I'm worried about how active an alliance needs to be too and I'm far to lazy to handle recruitment and managing of pubbies

Xun fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 15, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What level do you go from Beginner to Student?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

I said come in! posted:

Student 1 is effectively level 37.

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

I said come in! posted:

You hit Beginner 36, then you have to get 290,000xp to fill the bar. You’ll then unlock the means to hit Student 1.

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

Xun posted:

EU goon here.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I'm also EU but have, uh, yet to play it after installing the full game. I should change that.

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

I like to role play my class. Now I have a drinking problem.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Finally got to the point of doing instances and was encouraged by the experience. I didn't have any rubberbanding in the normal dungeons and healing was a decently entertaining scramble when damage was coming out (most notable in my last run, since neither of the other two (!) healers were doing much). Playing a summoner healer was almost exactly like playing WoW resto druid, except that you can't do damage even if you try. Like yeah, there are a couple of buttons that technically do damage, but they make WoW healers look like dps gods. It's not as good an experience as WoW healing but it does ultimately scratch the same itch.

And holy poo poo, I only saw two healers that weren't summoners (compared to ~6 other summoner healers encountered in instances). Maybe I should be leveling that reaper after all...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

From what I can tell reaper has a pretty high skill floor and I think that scares some players off.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I'm a Berserker and I'm not good at it. I finally feel like I've got a handle on my DPS rotations but I'm near the bottom even outgearing other folks by a few levels. Melee is rough for some of the fights for sure, but the other melees seem to have figured it out.

My tank spec isn't great either, especially trash pulls. Boss fights I'm figuring out but there have been some where my healers are doing way more than they should need to.

Played four of the Hard mode extra bosses this cycle, only one clear but the fights are pretty fun.

I should probably roll a new character but sunk cost and all that.

Game is good.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

PrinnySquad posted:

Unfortunately Bard takes until the late 20s before you have a decent supply of buttons. For whatever reason it takes a long rear end time to come online, but Bard is supposed to be overall be on the easier side of classes to play.

So yeah, I’m nearly 30 now and it is a few more buttons. Still a very simplistic class to play, but a bit more enjoyable. Spearmaster is super fun though, few like ok mashing poo poo constantly

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Trying to understand the means to using Reaper's Spectral Phantom is mind boggling for me.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Jebediah posted:

Trying to understand the means to using Reaper's Spectral Phantom is mind boggling for me.

It's basically a save state. Instead of a button to refresh your cooldowns, you have a button to press BEFORE, when you are in a state ready to burn all your big cooldowns and resources. So press it when you are ready to blow everything, use your skills, press it again to reload instantly and repeat...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Well since it looks like we dont have enough people for an EU guild, let me know if any of you guys find a decent alliance that's not letting nazis hang around :v:

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Manifest Dynasty posted:

It's basically a save state. Instead of a button to refresh your cooldowns, you have a button to press BEFORE, when you are in a state ready to burn all your big cooldowns and resources. So press it when you are ready to blow everything, use your skills, press it again to reload instantly and repeat...

It wasn't nearly as hard to understand once I removed a ton of unnecessary poo poo off my hotbars, so thanks!

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

CubicalSucrose posted:

I'm a Berserker and I'm not good at it. I finally feel like I've got a handle on my DPS rotations but I'm near the bottom even outgearing other folks by a few levels. Melee is rough for some of the fights for sure, but the other melees seem to have figured it out.

My tank spec isn't great either, especially trash pulls. Boss fights I'm figuring out but there have been some where my healers are doing way more than they should need to.

Played four of the Hard mode extra bosses this cycle, only one clear but the fights are pretty fun.

I should probably roll a new character but sunk cost and all that.

Game is good.

Any trash pull that isn’t a death is a success regardless of what the healers have to do. I’m only gear score 55 and as a Drunken master tank, I don’t really struggle at all on trash. Size of pull obviously matters, but I’ve also done some monstrous pulls on hard mode.

Maybe this will help.

e: you also wanna abuse the ever living poo poo out of the blocking stance. It both lowers the damage you’ll receive and amplifies your aggro immensely with its retaliation damage. Ontop of that, your rainbow phantom thing with give you a 14% shield when you recall it. It’s not super clear to begin with but any mob in the area of the phantom when you recall it will be pulled Ontop of you and the shield is then applied.

Rinzla fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 17, 2021

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Rinzla posted:

Any trash pull that isn’t a death is a success regardless of what the healers have to do. I’m only gear score 55 and as a Drunken master tank, I don’t really struggle at all on trash. Size of pull obviously matters, but I’ve also done some monstrous pulls on hard mode.

Maybe this will help.

Thanks for this, the stat thing is really helpful for prioritizing Jades and parchment buys. I tanked some Normals the other day to get better at understanding layouts and stopping points, and then a few Hards trying to clear Hiddens and it went well enough.

Hidden boss fights are pretty fun. Seems like they only drop Parchments and not gear? 40 Astral progress each seems really good.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

you get one gear drop per instance, the fixed one seems to happen from the final normal boss. the other chests seem to have a chance to drop gear but it isn't a large chance. having full ilvl 60 gear i only got one extra drop over 2 weeks.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

See for the sword artist you just get a bunch of mechanics that interact with each other so you can do whatever you want. You got a parry, an anti-demon move, a heal, an interrupt, debuff aoes that buff you, and then you get the big omnislash. It's pretty fun.

So you can put stickers on people's player cards but more interestingly, when you do so they get the same little prompt on the hud when there's collectables in the avtar menu. The game wants you to stamp people with "nice old man" or "salty" and it wants the recipients to know. I love it.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 18, 2021

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

CubicalSucrose posted:

Thanks for this, the stat thing is really helpful for prioritizing Jades and parchment buys. I tanked some Normals the other day to get better at understanding layouts and stopping points, and then a few Hards trying to clear Hiddens and it went well enough.

Hidden boss fights are pretty fun. Seems like they only drop Parchments and not gear? 40 Astral progress each seems really good.

I’m pretty sure the cap is 140 parchments per week. If that’s the case and the gear boxes are only a chance then I probably wouldn’t even bother with hiddens. You can cap out at 140 without them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quests really need to give more experience points, and the level requirements need to be lowered. I am level 33 and I ran out of quests to do, but in order to continue with the story I need to be level 34. It's very frustrating.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

I said come in! posted:

Quests really need to give more experience points, and the level requirements need to be lowered. I am level 33 and I ran out of quests to do, but in order to continue with the story I need to be level 34. It's very frustrating.

Do some biographies, that should put you over. Or redo some of the drill instances with your battle companions. If you take both of them after upgrading them a bit (I think you have two at 33) it's literally like 5-6 minutes for a frostbitten path and you barely have to do anything. I did the drill stuff a lot to get gear sets and I only had a bit left to do at 33 and a bit to get to max too.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Do you biographies, unlock your bounty hunts and lantern hunts, and do the solo ones available to you. That plus a run through each instance at drill difficulty with your companion for the quests should have you finish leveling without any sort of grinding. You want to do those 3 things anyways, since they are sources of astral essence (which is account wide). There are also the heroic quests, which are just some daily exp stuff (plus some misc rewards).

Hunts and heroic quests reset daily so on a second character you could take a couple days and skip bios or whatever.

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Failing everything else that’s said you can just spam drill frost bitten path for 10k XP a time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tanked my first 10 man instance last night, it was pretty cool actually. I do have the issue that most of my combat is done with action mode but taunting requires point and clicking so I have to keep switching, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Did have some mild trouble as a zerker because the aggro building, damage reducing guard mode tends to have some issues with mechanics. Bosses seem to be programmed to rampage a lot rather than sticking with the person with 300% aggro, so you end up just standing there guarding air like an idiot. But as long as you have aggro what else can you do.

And of course you do have the couple of people absolutely sprinting through the map to the boss because they are level 60 but still running normals for some reason, which is just "okay, good luck, clear the way buddie because those are your mobs" lol

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

In as Jstat - game is good.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

And of course you do have the couple of people absolutely sprinting through the map to the boss because they are level 60 but still running normals for some reason, which is just "okay, good luck, clear the way buddie because those are your mobs" lol

theres a daily quest to do one normal dungeon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you everyone for the information! I think there were somethings that were not obvious to me because i'm struggling with getting a grasp on the UI even 16 1/2 hours into the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Radical posted:

theres a daily quest to do one normal dungeon

Mine says to run it on drill still I think so maybe I haven't gotten to the normal dailies yet

I said come in! posted:

Thank you everyone for the information! I think there were somethings that were not obvious to me because i'm struggling with getting a grasp on the UI even 16 1/2 hours into the game.

Yeah the UI is, as the kids say, loving awful. Sixty different menus with fifty different currencies adds up to a confusing time.

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tanked my first 10 man instance last night, it was pretty cool actually. I do have the issue that most of my combat is done with action mode but taunting requires point and clicking so I have to keep switching, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Generally speaking, if it’s a mob that’s attacking some ranged guy in the distance, throw your phantom Ontop of it and then recall it. It will both taunt and then pull the mob toward you. Failing that if you tab target it’ll tab to the target you’re looking at. Not the closest thing to you. Once said mob is Ontop of you, you can just drop a light smash and then Use your guard and the subsequent damage will keep the aggro on you.

Boss tanking is honestly more about stoping the cleave damage from normal attacks than anything else. My favourite part is when a dps stands next to me and evaporates due to cleave. They only do it once.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

China is a censored word in chat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I said come in! posted:

China is a censored word in chat.

But lowercase "china" isn't, nor the word in mandarin. It's just kind of a bizarre oversight.

Honestly there's a nonzero chance they were trying to censor a nasty word for Chinese people and flubbed the line.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 19, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the plus side! I got to Student 1 last night. :woop: Looking forward to taking on the end game grind now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

CuddleCryptid posted:

But lowercase "china" isn't, nor the word in mandarin. It's just kind of a bizarre oversight.

No. This is pretty common in asia games. We have capital letters and a lot of their programmers don't understand things like that or how to use regular expressions.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

No. This is pretty common in asia games. We have capital letters and a lot of their programmers don't understand things like that or how to use regular expressions.

I understand that, but why ban it in English but not in mandarin if you are trying to censor it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Eve Echoes (Chinese phone Eve) censors a bunch of stuff including “nineteen” but then it says “n****” in the chat and looks way worse.