Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

There’s some good features in this game. Someone found this in the guild/alliance skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Hy_C posted:

There’s some good features in this game. Someone found this in the guild/alliance skills.

The game's definitely unique. Wish I had it made farther to play in groups to see how the classes can buff each other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Game looks pretty.

Any word on if it's going to have story-focused content, or is it just grinding and dungeons?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
No matter what content it has, you will have to translate english to english

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The main questline structure is very FFXIV in that it's heavily story based with the occasional dungeon (which seem to be solable at least while levelling), and there's also biographies which are questlines focused on particular characters for story content, at least. None of the quests have been particularly long but they're not all that exciting, mostly typical mmo kill mobs/pick things up/ride a vehicle sometimes. Though so far (level 21 or so) I only got one quest where I had to kill more than like, 5 mobs.

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018
Weird rear end game. Ended up loving it, oddly enough. I actually play a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese games these days, indie crap not MMOs, but they definitely have a distinct cultural game design ethos like the west and Japan. Chinese games have this odd kind of maximalist game design with tons and tons of unnecessary (but cool) gimmicks and superfluous poo poo and this weird oil-water mixture of polish and jank. It's like they've been semi-isolated from the game design mainstream, and now they come at things with an outsider artist kinda perspective. SoLO is no different.

Overall, it felt like uh, 3 steps forward and 4 steps back. It had a ton of unique features and QoL elements that WoW/XIV would never dream of (God bless the key-combo to delete rare items with no confirmation.) They went out of their way to integrate aspects of popular WoW addons, even wholesale copy-pasting the "Details" addon, but completely flubbed some basic stuff. You can change to the behavior of combat skills akin to the way you would with macros in other games, but healers don't have the option to use mouseover functionality with their heals. Likewise, the UI allowed for best in class customization, but doesn't allow you to hide UI elements. Stuff like that.

Same with the world design. The character models, equipment, props, etc were really well made but the actual quality of the environments was just amateurish. Weird, basic poo poo, stuff a 12 year old making a Counter-Strike map would do, like extremely low resolution textures stretched across huge objects. The reaper class hall, for example, has huge sections of wall that are just blobular grey smears of what you can assume is a rock texture juxtaposed against high resolution, extremely detailed vines and snake statues and poo poo. Again, just weird. It also seems like the levels were lazily designed without flying in mind since the maps are filled with holes and trompe l'oeil tricks that work when you're on the ground but break in the air.

Speaking of flying: What? Okay, so you already have the wuxia parkour superhero movement with triple jumps and water-walking that's extremely fun to play with and already trumps traditional MMO mounts, and the maps are all relatively tiny and cramped making mounts as a whole seem almost pontless. Then, you have a bunch of 70% speed ground mounts, like the one you get at Beginner 20, the Summoner's class mount, and the Berserker's wolf form. So in what world does it make sense that they also give you an 80% speed flying mount within 5 minutes of rolling a character? I'd think that it was just a beta testing QoL thing, but it seems like it's given to you in service of the story. That flying sword essentially invalidates everything else, but maybe that makes sense to the devs? Like maybe they think ground mounts should exist for "flavor," but the starter sword should be your serious mount? It really boggles my mind.

Then you have the entire starting experience, which again, is a half-smart and half-stupid. It took me a long time to realize that it's virtually not an MMO by design, but once I did I appreciated it a lot more. You literally level 1-36 as a "Beginner" by doing ~20 hours of story quests and single player versions of the dungeons, then hit "Student" and level from 1-60 as things open up into a fully fledged MMO. It's literally like they tacked a mandatory single player RPG to the start of their MMO. Now, I still prefer the freedom of stuff like WoW/GW2/TESO, but I actually think it's superior to XIV where tons of content is locked behind story quest while the game tempts you with the allure of side content. In SOLO, you just bang out the entire story while learning your class, then finish it and move on to the game part of the game. If MMO's insist on having stories, I think SOLO's model is the way to go.

It may seem like I have a negative opinion of the game, but I seriously enjoyed my time. The combat and class design was among the best in the genre, trouncing older and more established games like TESO and GW2. They got my $40 and I can't wait to play with a decent translation.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

At least its weird chinese myth stuff instead typical western tropes in the stories. It seems common for some story character run into a conflict of some sorts and go "Haha! This is truly a dangerous thing. Luckily I have these magic talismans from the Sword River Trout school to deal with such a thing. Please put these on 5 trees" and then you triple jump around casting chinese myth magic talismans on trees.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah there's lots of story, problem is the translation is kind of....bad. The translation has consistently somehow gotten the gendered wrong in a way I'm not actually sure should be possible. For example, a critical part of the story seems to be based on a conflict between the previous emperor and the current empress, but everyone is the emperor/his highness. This leads to stuff like "his highness is trying to marry his highness to the general. This is upsetting to his highness" when referring to the empress, princess, and emperor lol.

They so seem to be working on it but uh, there's a LOT of stuff like that. I am actually really curious how the translators are getting the text, like maybe if they're shoving everything through a character -> pingying translator first I could understand them getting pronouns wrong, but titles like matriarch/patriarch, emperor/empress, culivator and religious titles in general (I'm 80% certain they've translated culitvator as player lol) should be extremely distinct from each other. And thats just the titles, there's a lot more wonky stuff everywhere in the translation. It's definitly not unreadable, but....

Also I'm kind of worried about the level cap at launch being student 1. That's like the end of the tutorial and a bunch of stuff is visibly locked behind higher levels. I hope they can keep a decent update pace since streamers were hitting student 1 in a week.

Xun fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 25, 2021

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018

doomisland posted:

At least its weird chinese myth stuff instead typical western tropes in the stories. It seems common for some story character run into a conflict of some sorts and go "Haha! This is truly a dangerous thing. Luckily I have these magic talismans from the Sword River Trout school to deal with such a thing. Please put these on 5 trees" and then you triple jump around casting chinese myth magic talismans on trees.

Gotta love the multiple unironic "Collect 5 Bear Gallbladders" quests.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Small Bipedal Cat posted:

but healers don't have the option to use mouseover functionality with their heals.

Any aspiring healer should do themself a huge favor and go into team options and enable quick selection as it does just that.

Xun posted:

I hope they can keep a decent update pace since streamers were hitting student 1 in a week.

It took me 12 hours to get my first character to student 1 so I'm sure people who know what they're doing can get it done in like 8 or faster

Estraysian fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 25, 2021

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Estraysian posted:

It took me 12 hours to get my first character to student 1 so I'm sure people who know what they're doing can get it done in like 8 or faster

Well now I'm even more worried about how much content there is at launch :v:

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Xun posted:

Well now I'm even more worried about how much content there is at launch :v:

When you hit student 1 a big "TUTORIAL COMPLETED" pops up on the screen. From what I saw there seems to be no shortage of content to engage with at max level.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The skill base mounts might seem slow when even the basic flying sword is faster and flies but the skill mounts can be used in dungeons. So people like berserkers and foxmages have access to faster movement to get around dungeons, specially useful since zerkers can have someone else ride on them

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Xun posted:

I am actually really curious how the translators are getting the text

In my experience when you see stuff like this, they've just done a mass export of every word/sentence in the game into a massive Excel file and sent it to a 3rd-party translator service. So there is zero context on a line-by-line basis, and because the spreadsheets gets divided up over however many people are working on it, there's also no consistency. That's why the same word/phrase is translated as "Practice" in the quest text but "Drill" in the Group Finder window.

Unless you have a team within the company dedicated to building an internal glossary and/or reviewing the text once it comes back, it's basically impossible for an external service to translate something 'properly'. They just don't have the information they need in order to do it correctly.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pryce posted:

In my experience when you see stuff like this, they've just done a mass export of every word/sentence in the game into a massive Excel file and sent it to a 3rd-party translator service. So there is zero context on a line-by-line basis, and because the spreadsheets gets divided up over however many people are working on it, there's also no consistency. That's why the same word/phrase is translated as "Practice" in the quest text but "Drill" in the Group Finder window.

Unless you have a team within the company dedicated to building an internal glossary and/or reviewing the text once it comes back, it's basically impossible for an external service to translate something 'properly'. They just don't have the information they need in order to do it correctly.

Some other goon did a write-up on translation services , but it's basically this and can be even worse.

The 3rd party doing it will get sentences in random order without any context, I'm not sure how their language is structured but I know for some context really matters in determining gender.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
To be fair it depends entirely on the 3rd party and dev. It's a matter of how lazy the dev team is and how much money they're willing to pay for a localization effort.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

We're getting a livestream on Monday to go over changes before CBT2. We get to hear how the voiceovers will be!

quote:

live stream at 9 PM CEST on 31st May (3 PM EDT, 12 PM PDT): https://www.twitch.tv/swordsoflegendsonline

Tune in and watch Game Designer "Atmorph" and Community Manager "Phaendar" discuss the changelog for the upcoming second Beta phase. Next to some smaller adjustments and a first look at the partial voiceovers, there might even be a little surprise about things to come!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I got a little ways in but they kept shoveling more things onto me that didn't make sense and I didn't realize the FFXIV poo poo actually ended eventually so I quit out. Here's a bard question: do they ever give you any way to use both ice and fire abilities?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
You get a spell that generates both fire and ice notes at once but theres no way to use both the fire and ice versions of your spells at the same time.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also what's the furnace do, I go ta spell that made a furnace and when I used it it said I got invincibility pills but I didn't have any on me that I could find

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
A 6% hp buff for I believe 20 minutes

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

CBT2 Livestream Info:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1041507854

General Game Info
- all updates are planned to be free, including new classes
- no roadmap yet, but should have one ready for release
- launch a couple weeks after CBT2
- discussing customization adjustments
- battlepass planned for a few weeks after release. $10
- can you get married in-game? No.
- 5 digit numbers of peak simultaneous players in CBT1
- dungeons will not have extreme difficulty at launch, this comes later
- raids release within weeks of release
- 100v100pvp not in yet, nor are alliance wars (guild pvp)
- in a future expac alliances will be able to flag as factions and restrict membership based on their faction ties

Changes for CBT2
- retuned leveling curve. you may have to grind a bit to hit Student 1 at level 35ish but shouldn't have to in the middle.
- still working on getting players into shards with their friends. not fixed for CBT2
- CBT2 has partial english VO
- hard mode dungeons have been buffed between cbt1 and 2. the hidden bosses in hard mode dungeons in cbt1 were post-tuning, they've applied this to everything now
- things might not run smoothly. they want to stress test.

PVP Clarifications (people thought this was a bug for some reason)
- cannot gank lowbies, only max level (Student 1) players.
- you get negative ki for killing players in Rampage mode. There are harsh penalties for this.

They announced a new open world PVP zone coming at launch: The Valley of Echoing Blades
- faction open pvp zone - sides are mysticism vs heaven's children
- faction selection locks you in for 7 days
- faction choices are per-character
- faction gear is unlockable with ranks and currency, both cosmetic and stat gear
- allows for pvp without any negative ki
- can attack anyone flagged for faction combat
- flagging/unflagging can only happen ONCE A DAY
- - twice a week you can cheat it and reset a second time in a day

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Oh and they showed off some of the english voice work. It sounds pretty good. It's around the 25% mark of the stream when they're running through the tutorial area.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

And they commented on the bug where players weren't able to get into zones with party members. They don't have a fix yet but are working on it. For now they say if you have your group leader zone into a zone before everyone else it should give you the best chance of ending up together.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did anyone else's hand washing avatar disappear from their characters? I had it equipped when I logged in, but I swapped off of it to see what the other ones look like and now I can't find it in my list.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Dynamite Dog posted:

Oh and they showed off some of the english voice work. It sounds pretty good. It's around the 25% mark of the stream when they're running through the tutorial area.

The VO stuff is pretty solid!

fadam posted:

Did anyone else's hand washing avatar disappear from their characters? I had it equipped when I logged in, but I swapped off of it to see what the other ones look like and now I can't find it in my list.

I never unequipped mine but it's just missing entirely.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I haven't been able to play this beta, how is it looking?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Xun posted:

Goons have been reporting a positive enough experience that I'm likely to give it a go on release in spite of my initial cynicism

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
There's a bit more of the English voice acting in this beta and some of the more egregious mistranslations have been corrected but I think there's still a lot to work on on that front, still a lot of inconsistencies in things like gendering and naming of dungeon difficulties, as well as between voice and subtitles for instance. Personally I'm not a fan of the English voice acting and hoping they can bring over the Chinese acting, but at least the English actors pronounce the Chinese names closer to their proper pronounciation. No Cow Cow or anything like that here.

Though will say the English voice acting not being fully in leads to hilarious situations where characters switch language mid-dialogue.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I like the english VA for the name pronunciations as well. In the stream Monday they said they wanted to have full CN and EN options for launch. Right now the option is there but it doesn't work.

The gameplay has been good. They're supposedly trimming down servers for stress testing but I haven't noticed any issues. I haven't gone to the valley of a thousand spears yet.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Xun posted:

It has big 2010 MMO energy but with action combat that feels fairly similar to Blade and Soul in terms of mobility. I've dabbled a tiny bit with each class and they seem pretty varied. The Reaper edgelord rogue class also has a healing spec with rather atypical healing moves. I don't think it's anything amazing, but it's certainly been fun enough.

E: some examples of Reaper support/heals:

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 4, 2021

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think as long as you are interested in the fantasy wuxia setting and are ok with standard MMO gameplay then you will have plenty to enjoy for the $40 asking price.

My only issue so far with the classes that I've played is that it feels like your default attacks hit like wet noodles and that most of your damage is behind cooldowns, this is fine for a game like WoW where you are expected to always be using buttons but in this game the default attacks buttons are very weak and you constantly holding them.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Yeah at least with Bard your filler is building stacks for instant casts, but on Spearmaster it just feels bad if you're stuck without an opener for proper damage.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

My weak arthritic hands do not like holding standard attack buttons.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tried sword mage and honestly this is the class Ive most gelled with right now for DPS. Its a good balance of mobility, different mechanics and ok damage and their alternate melee spec is also pretty fun albeit a bit simpler from what Ive seen.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Virigoth posted:

My weak arthritic hands do not like holding standard attack buttons.

You can change this.

Hit K to go into your skills menu, then your two primary skills will have a little symbol in the bottom left. You can cycle how those respond through a few options - click every time, hold to attack, and hold for 2-sec to enable autoattacks.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Reaper takes ages to come "online", but once it does the debuff interplay is pretty neat, DoT stacks for DoTs.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I looked at the FAQ and did not see this. Will this beta have a wipe before release?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Jebediah posted:

I looked at the FAQ and did not see this. Will this beta have a wipe before release?

That is my understanding of it, CBT1 carried over to CBT2 but release will be a fresh start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Yes there is a wipe.