Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, a couple of years ago, when I first started as a mod for the Auspicious Duwang Teenagers Righting Wrongs/Aesthete Daimyo Tickled by Rare Wares forum, Namtab created a thread to sorta figure out what was my deal. While I appreciate Namtab doing that, something that I hoped to accomplish with it (which sadly never ended up solidifying) would be cool was to use it as a feedback/request for ADTRW in general, mostly to keep poo poo transparent so as to not poo poo the bed unnecessarily.

Anyway, I was talking with Julias for a bit, and it felt right to revisit the idea to try and give it another go, so here it is!

What is this thread for?
Mostly so that people can ask forum-related questions and/or make requests like "Hey, can you change the name of the x or y thread?", "I want another anime truck", "poo poo! I created a duplicate thread for MHA season 8, can you close it please?" and just, y'know, that sorta where either Julias or yours truly could answer/help the people in this here forum whenever possible.

What is this thread NOT for?
Some shitposting is allowed, but we do have a chat thread for that, so let's keep it mostly sensible here. Just... when in doubt, follow the rules and use your common sense.

We want to keep the Anime forum a reasonably engaging place to hang on, so here's hoping!

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reserved just in case something pops up in this head of mine/Julias wants to add something cool (but not cruel)

Meanwhile, here's this sweet MP4 of Touka Toudou from Chivalry of a Failed Knight unleashing her badass-to-the-max Raikiri as a placeholder.
https://i.imgur.com/cvzCu9a.mp4

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I notice the forum is not called The Sea Of Porcupines, why?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Both Wark Say and I decided that it was too mean spirited against former mod/poster Matoi Ryuko (even if it is funny in my opinion). They've had it rough enough as it is, no need to rub salt in the wound.

Plus it breaks the ADTRW acronym gimmick, and it would make it hard for people unfamiliar with the subforum to know that it's actually an Anime subforum just at a glance.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

I notice the forum is not called The Sea Of Porcupines, why?
It had its time in the sun and just seems like it'd get old/mean really fast.

e: Also yeah, what Julias said much more eloquently.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

When ya'll gonna get a real truck like a ford f650 powerstroke dually powerstroke for a background? :clint:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
more variable, possibly randomized backgrounds would be cool. maybe from a few different genres, I'd like a robot background.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

When ya'll gonna get a real truck like a ford f650 powerstroke dually powerstroke for a background? :clint:
Don't know enough about trucks to confirm or deny this. :shrug:

Captain Invictus posted:

more variable, possibly randomized backgrounds would be cool. maybe from a few different genres, I'd like a robot background.
No promises but we was hopin' to at least see if, down the road, if it's possible to have them be different between vanilla mode and dark mode. But that's still a ways away.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Friendly/fun mod challenges and contests, perhaps? Like something to win an avatar or something of that nature.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DrSunshine posted:

Friendly/fun mod challenges and contests, perhaps? Like something to win an avatar or something of that nature.

This would be good yes. I have nobody to blame for not doing these other than being lazy :negative:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Will you bring the ADTRWiki back?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Violet_Sky posted:

No. Honestly the resource was outdated, only contributed to by a few goons (most of whom aren't even active anymore), and very selective in what shows were covered. For all intents and purposes, and as blasphemous as this may sound, MyAnimeList is a much better resource in all of these regards. The only real positive upside of ADTRWiki was compiling the yearly best of results and presenting them in an easily digestable, ranked chart.

It might be worth compiling the historic results of the best of yearly threads and putting them in an easily accessible place, as well as running REDUX Best of threads to revisit these years, now that much time has passed and now that the makeup of ADTRW posters has greatly changed.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Julias posted:

No. Honestly the resource was outdated, only contributed to by a few goons (most of whom aren't even active anymore), and very selective in what shows were covered. For all intents and purposes, and as blasphemous as this may sound, MyAnimeList is a much better resource in all of these regards. The only real positive upside of ADTRWiki was compiling the yearly best of results and presenting them in an easily digestable, ranked chart.

It might be worth compiling the historic results of the best of yearly threads and putting them in an easily accessible place, as well as running REDUX Best of threads to revisit these years, now that much time has passed and now that the makeup of ADTRW posters has greatly changed.

pls make the Spring Season 2001 thread, I've been waiting 2 decades.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

I liked it because you could easily access some old threads on mobile.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I liked having this little goon summary of a show instead of a copy paste from promotional material or whatever. It was kinda fun, if clearly not something anyone will bother doing much

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

I liked having this little goon summary of a show instead of a copy paste from promotional material or whatever. It was kinda fun, if clearly not something anyone will bother doing much

Huh, this gives me a thread idea...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Free everyone probated or banned after adtrws pre zorak purge

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

Hi, I had this idea on the back of my mind for at least since my first year but every time some voice in the back of my head would go "What, you cannot do contest/raffle stuff worth squat, you're gonna make a complete fool out of yourself and the Admins are gonna call you an idiot, rightfully". Sorry. :sigh:

Maybe now that Julias is much more prone to talking stuff out properly, we can perhaps consider it down the road.

Violet_Sky posted:

I actually talked with a couple of peeps (I don't remember if it was Strange Quark or someone else) who provided me with the contact email to contact the fella who, along with Pierson, hosted the ADTRWiki and apparently it had expired but the servers might still be up so it's just a matter of ponying money up to rent/buy the domain or something? It was around march or april 2019 so, who knows if that still holds up.

Davincie posted:

Nah.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219

Already done friend

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wark Say posted:

Hi, I had this idea on the back of my mind for at least since my first year but every time some voice in the back of my head would go "What, you cannot do contest/raffle stuff worth squat, you're gonna make a complete fool out of yourself and the Admins are gonna call you an idiot, rightfully". Sorry. :sigh:

Maybe now that Julias is much more prone to talking stuff out properly, we can perhaps consider it down the road.

Julias posted:

This would be good yes. I have nobody to blame for not doing these other than being lazy :negative:

Yay yay :woop:

Suggestion: "Draw anime characters from memory", whoever gets the most votes, wins an avatar change/request.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julias posted:

Both Wark Say and I decided that it was too mean spirited against former mod/poster Matoi Ryuko (even if it is funny in my opinion). They've had it rough enough as it is, no need to rub salt in the wound.

Plus it breaks the ADTRW acronym gimmick, and it would make it hard for people unfamiliar with the subforum to know that it's actually an Anime subforum just at a glance.

lmao remember when we were absolutely for real going to rename adtrw last year because of qcs

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

also close this thread, how dare you make a mod feedback thread, get your own drat ideas

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

also close this thread, how dare you make a mod feedback thread, get your own drat ideas

Just for that, I'm taking one of the Karen's hostage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

lmao remember when we were absolutely for real going to rename adtrw last year because of qcs
I still think that people were like "lmao but it used to mean this dumb thing lol butts lol!" as the smoking gun that the name needed to go were probably peeps that hadn't been in this forum forever and, like, I get that it used to stand for something loving dumb but... well, it's not that place anymore. Hell, it hasn't been that place for way longer than it was, I'd reckon.

Namtab posted:

What, you think that promo you cut trying to sound like Macho Man Randy Savage got us scared or something? Bring it on, buckaroo! :toughguy:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I actually talked with a couple of peeps (I don't remember if it was Strange Quark or someone else) who provided me with the contact email to contact the fella who, along with Pierson, hosted the ADTRWiki and apparently it had expired but the servers might still be up so it's just a matter of ponying money up to rent/buy the domain or something? It was around march or april 2019 so, who knows if that still holds up.

The domain is (as you can already tell by trying to use it) being offered for thousands of dollars by the nice people at hugedomains.com (it's actually gone up by $300 since I checked a year ago). As far as I can tell the site used to be at 81.167.91.94, and isn't any more. It was mirrored to https://adtrw.nulani.net/ but I'm pretty sure someone is just going to have to copy-paste all that into a fresh wiki at this point.

I don't think there's a huge amount of value in trying to recover the old domain name, anyway, there's very few off-site links to it and presumably anyone who is here already can ask where it is now if they're clicking on links to it in 5+ year old threads, something similar would be fine.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Yay yay :woop:

Suggestion: "Draw anime characters from memory", whoever gets the most votes, wins an avatar change/request.

Other contest ideas:
Write a Review for the worst series you remember. Best ones (funniest and/or best written) get the prize
As above but for the season/year.
Sub-forum-tan art contest including a new SA-tan
Tanka (5-7-5-7-7) or Haiku (5-7-5) contest
Watch/Review Team contests where each member of the pair suggests a series for the other to watch and each have to review.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Other contest ideas:

Sub-forum-tan art contest including a new SA-tan

Update it to be design an ADTRW official VTuber

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Is discussing speedscans okay any time, or only okay in some threads? Is there an overall rule? Just want to make sure.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Agronox posted:

Is discussing speedscans okay any time, or only okay in some threads? Is there an overall rule? Just want to make sure.

There aren't any threads where you can't talk about speed scans. A couple of threads like the One Piece thread have a rule to use spoiler tags until the official translation comes out, and in the One Piece thread specifically, you aren't allowed to talk about the text spoilers that leak 3-4 days before the speed scans come out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

There aren't any threads where you can't talk about speed scans. A couple of threads like the One Piece thread have a rule to use spoiler tags until the official translation comes out, and in the One Piece thread specifically, you aren't allowed to talk about the text spoilers that leak 3-4 days before the speed scans come out.
Man, remember when Bleach did text spoilers and they looked like a huge gently caress-off 2001 monolith?

Honestly, though: Aren't speed scans most of the time using the "machine" translation method that tends to be fairly inaccurate? Like I know professional translations or even scanlating groups ain't infallible, but I think most end up being way preferable at what speed scans do. Hell, the guys from Zaibatsu scans (chiefly responsible for the Jpn->Eng release of Kaguya-sama chapters) tend to even have fun/funny release notes about their efforts.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julias posted:

Just for that, I'm taking one of the Karen's hostage.

She was just two days from retirement

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What are you favourite manga and animes

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Recent ongoing/recently "finished" serialized manga?
  • Kaguya-sama: Love is War. After the My Monster Secret (a.k.a. Truthism around these parts) manga ended, I don't think I've been following anything with the fervor I've been following this.
  • Vagabond. My favorite manga period. Shame that it's currently on hiatus.
  • Chainsaw Man. It's like they took like 5 of my favorite metal/metalcore, punk and stand-up comedy records and made it a manga. And the result was a messy but incredibly fun one!
  • Dorohedoro. Go read this. Go watch this. It's gory, weird, fucky and incredibly funny.

For anime I'm just going to keep it to a couple of "recent" favorites and an all-time fave:
  • Slam Dunk. Love the manga (probably even more than the anime) and love most of what Takehiko Inoue has done, but the anime occupies a nearly-immovable place in my heart.
  • Kodama. I know this may read weird, but in 2016, the French Black Metal/Shoegaze band Alcest released a concept album which takes heavy inspiration from the revered Ghibli film Mononoke Hime and, in all honesty, it allows you to embark upon an audio ethereal experience not unlike if you were watching the movie. It's a fantastic record/journey to tackle and I cannot recommend it enough, even if you've never seen the movie.
  • Yona of the Dawn. An anime adaptation so good that it's still pisses me off that there hasn't been a 2nd Season. The manga, however, is loving awesome and has a perfect place to pick up from.
  • Psycho-Pass. While overall janky taking into account everything that has come out (Season 2 being the weakest), Season 1 is, in my arrogant-rear end opinion, one of the best gateway-series of the last few decades.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

For Manga...

Oyasumi Punpun and Solanin by Inio Asano. They are very much different stories, but at the same time both are deeply introspective about how we live our lives and the meaning we get out of that life. Fantastic art and great emotional storytelling. Both brought tears to my eyes.

Complex Age by Yui Sakuma. Nagisa Kataura is a 26 year old temp-worker, who loves cosplaying as a hobby. But as she is growing older, she's having to come to terms with how her age and social standing are impacting the hobby that she loves, as well as forcing her to confront the existential dread of how you reconcile what you love doing having an indeterminate but finite end.

And for anime...

Welcome to the NHK is my favorite anime. I wouldn't say it's the best by any objective standards, but it just has a lot of really personal significance in helping me realize who I was 9 years ago, and being a big contributing factor in changing myself for the better and overcoming my depression at the time.

Soul Eater isn't a particularly deep show, but it's a great looking shonen action series with a lot of style, a pretty cool cast of characters, and really interesting powers and world.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is an extremely solid period drama that tackles a lot of interesting themes, and does an admirable job of answering all of them to a degree. Not to mention, the focus on Rakugo provides for a great array of storytelling, that lends itself to great character acting and voice performance by the cast of characters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

I read a lot of manga

Delicious in Dungeon - among my favorite series ever along the likes of One Piece, DinD follows a group of adventurers in their journey to travel to the depths of a dungeon in a D&D-styled world in order to rescue their companion, who has been eaten by a dragon. Has some of the most rock-solid worldbuilding I've ever seen in a manga, the comedy is top notch, the artwork is stellar, the consistency of characters and storytelling is second to none. Seriously one of the best series I've ever read, manga or otherwise.
Yokohama Shopping Trip - a beautiful, peaceful, serene series about humanity declining and going quietly into the night that follows an android as she goes about her daily life. One of the best series I've ever read, easy.
Ai-Ren - a series that follows a terminally ill boy set in the future, who is offered an artificial short-lived "wife" to love and comfort him in his fleeting remaining time. It isn't perfect and has some big flaws(the entirety of the war stuff could easily be cut entirely) but I still have not read a series that so powerfully exemplifies death and making the most of what you have left, existential crises, and the way it delivers on core story beats is powerful. I've rarely ever ugly cried at a manga and this one did me even further, I was straight depressed for weeks after finishing this series. It sucks it still has never been officially licensed.
Qualia the Purple - A series that starts off with a cutesy pair of girls in a fairly stereotypical high school setting that so very rapidly derails and escalates over the course of 18 chapters that I seriously can't believe it crammed that entire series into only 18 chapters. From serial killers to quantum mechanics and the ever-fun "what lengths will you go to" hypothetical, this short series is an incredibly wild ride. Another series that it's a crying shame it's never been localized. or had an anime, man that would be some WILD poo poo to see animated.
Bonnouji - a man who gets sent all sorts of weird poo poo by his globetrotting brother meets a woman who is fascinated by it all and they hang out. One of the comfiest slice of life romcoms around.
Hinamatsuri - a yakuza is minding his own business when a giant egg with a girl's face teleports into his apartment. He winds up adopting this girl, who has ridiculously strong psychic powers, and their absurd slice of life comedy begins. Genuinely one of the funniest series I've ever read with a good sized lovable cast of idiots and ends super strong too.
Teppu - a women's MMA sports manga that follows what is basically the antagonist. she's a real shithead. I love it. Unfortunately ended prematurely due to the author's poor health but what's there is incredibly good and well-drawn fighting action.
Ketchup Ninja - a surreal, weird series by a mangaka who lived in New Jersey for a while, a big ol' boiling pot of american and japanese stereotypes and memes that is really, really stupid most of the time but I enjoyed it a lot when it was coming out.
My Monster Secret - a slice of life romcom where a terrible liar stumbles upon a vampire girl in his classroom one day. while it starts off a bit rocky while the author gets their footing, it really comes into its own with a huge cast of cute and dumb characters, the comedy is great, the plot is good, and it stays strong all the way to the finish line. One of my favorite romcoms ever.
Kakukaku Shikajika - the autobiography of Akiko Hayashi, the author of Jellyfish Princess. It's about her struggle to become an artist and mangaka, the person who inspired and taught her everything, and the crushing effort it took to get where she is today. A powerful and real story.

I can keep going if you want

I'd have Attack on Titan on here of course, but, well, you know. Maybe I'll say I recommend chapters 1-138 of Attack on Titan, and then it suddenly, unfortunately ended there, sadly before the author could properly finish the series. Oh what could have been.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-on! I'm not a mod (yet) so i dont have to answer but i feel its important that you all know.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

I read a lot of manga

Delicious in Dungeon - among my favorite series ever along the likes of One Piece, DinD follows a group of adventurers in their journey to travel to the depths of a dungeon in a D&D-styled world in order to rescue their companion, who has been eaten by a dragon. Has some of the most rock-solid worldbuilding I've ever seen in a manga, the comedy is top notch, the artwork is stellar, the consistency of characters and storytelling is second to none. Seriously one of the best series I've ever read, manga or otherwise.
Yokohama Shopping Trip - a beautiful, peaceful, serene series about humanity declining and going quietly into the night that follows an android as she goes about her daily life. One of the best series I've ever read, easy.
Ai-Ren - a series that follows a terminally ill boy set in the future, who is offered an artificial short-lived "wife" to love and comfort him in his fleeting remaining time. It isn't perfect and has some big flaws(the entirety of the war stuff could easily be cut entirely) but I still have not read a series that so powerfully exemplifies death and making the most of what you have left, existential crises, and the way it delivers on core story beats is powerful. I've rarely ever ugly cried at a manga and this one did me even further, I was straight depressed for weeks after finishing this series. It sucks it still has never been officially licensed.
Qualia the Purple - A series that starts off with a cutesy pair of girls in a fairly stereotypical high school setting that so very rapidly derails and escalates over the course of 18 chapters that I seriously can't believe it crammed that entire series into only 18 chapters. From serial killers to quantum mechanics and the ever-fun "what lengths will you go to" hypothetical, this short series is an incredibly wild ride. Another series that it's a crying shame it's never been localized. or had an anime, man that would be some WILD poo poo to see animated.
Bonnouji - a man who gets sent all sorts of weird poo poo by his globetrotting brother meets a woman who is fascinated by it all and they hang out. One of the comfiest slice of life romcoms around.
Hinamatsuri - a yakuza is minding his own business when a giant egg with a girl's face teleports into his apartment. He winds up adopting this girl, who has ridiculously strong psychic powers, and their absurd slice of life comedy begins. Genuinely one of the funniest series I've ever read with a good sized lovable cast of idiots and ends super strong too.
Teppu - a women's MMA sports manga that follows what is basically the antagonist. she's a real shithead. I love it. Unfortunately ended prematurely due to the author's poor health but what's there is incredibly good and well-drawn fighting action.
Ketchup Ninja - a surreal, weird series by a mangaka who lived in New Jersey for a while, a big ol' boiling pot of american and japanese stereotypes and memes that is really, really stupid most of the time but I enjoyed it a lot when it was coming out.
My Monster Secret - a slice of life romcom where a terrible liar stumbles upon a vampire girl in his classroom one day. while it starts off a bit rocky while the author gets their footing, it really comes into its own with a huge cast of cute and dumb characters, the comedy is great, the plot is good, and it stays strong all the way to the finish line. One of my favorite romcoms ever.
Kakukaku Shikajika - the autobiography of Akiko Hayashi, the author of Jellyfish Princess. It's about her struggle to become an artist and mangaka, the person who inspired and taught her everything, and the crushing effort it took to get where she is today. A powerful and real story.

I can keep going if you want

I'd have Attack on Titan on here of course, but, well, you know. Maybe I'll say I recommend chapters 1-138 of Attack on Titan, and then it suddenly, unfortunately ended there, sadly before the author could properly finish the series. Oh what could have been.

I didn't realize you were a mod, answering questions here in the mod feedback thread

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Question for the mods: do you avoid spoilers or do you read them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

Question for the mods: do you avoid spoilers or do you read them

I read them all. Spoilers don't ruin my personal experience with stories, and sometimes it even gets me more interested in them. Also, it's sometimes helpful with keeping track of thread conversations and knowing when somebody is posting spoilers.