Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Loving this game so much, had some extremely intense matches with randoms in the non league knock out playlists. Didn’t expect to enjoy this as much as I am, perfect for a quick 20 minute blast.

With the curve ball, do you get to pick the way it curves? I feel like sometimes I jump and push right and it loops out to the right, but other times it feels like it goes the opposite way to the direction I’m pushing. Maybe an element of me mashing buttons in a panic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's very good.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Crafty posted:

Loving this game so much, had some extremely intense matches with randoms in the non league knock out playlists. Didn’t expect to enjoy this as much as I am, perfect for a quick 20 minute blast.

With the curve ball, do you get to pick the way it curves? I feel like sometimes I jump and push right and it loops out to the right, but other times it feels like it goes the opposite way to the direction I’m pushing. Maybe an element of me mashing buttons in a panic

I don't think you can pick, the game seems to try to pick whichever direction doesn't have a wall in the way but otherwise it seems random, though I haven't tested it much beyond "holding left or right doesn't change it"

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

IIRC when you hit the spin button, you can determine which way you spin by holding the direction you wanna go. The way the ball is thrown is determined by the spin direction

Also, a really effective strategy ive stumbled into is to almost never charge a ball since that gives the other player a lockon notice. Instead, try dashing close, or better yet behind, another player and tapping the throw button at almost point-blank range.

They get barely any notice that theyre about to get hit and way more of my shots land as a result. This works way better if someone passes you the ball, but good luck getting that level of coordination with randos

If youre really good, you can jump and then do a flip to immediately grab the ball in the air after hitting someone and score a second hit right away

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Alternatively, if you know the position of your teammates you can try charging up a shot at a far away target to try and distract them and catch their attention while your team sneaks up behind them.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

After playing a couple of days of the trial, I can say that this is a fun game.

Sort of worried about plunking down $20 for it, though, as I'm not sure that it'll take.

(Still gonna do it, I think.)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you are playing on Xbox or PC, the ultimate game pass has a promo for $1/mo for three months. It includes EA Play which in turn includes Knockout City. If the game still maintains an audience by the end of the summer, then I’ll drop 20 on it.

Also, you can unlock every Pride icon they added to the game with the code 52T3-BMJD-3QNL-BQWB-LWK9.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/comet_switch/status/1399932520930570241

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Started playing this yesterday and am loving it. Though my brain seems to have broken about curve shots. I used to do them flawlessly yet all day today I seemed to lose throw charge mid spin. I think I might be accidentally pulling out the glider for a milisec mid jump.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
"Find a crew" seems busted (infinite loader icon) so I've added the couple of folks I could find from page 1. My KO City ID is "Zetilicious"

Zet fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 3, 2021

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Twibbit posted:

Started playing this yesterday and am loving it. Though my brain seems to have broken about curve shots. I used to do them flawlessly yet all day today I seemed to lose throw charge mid spin. I think I might be accidentally pulling out the glider for a milisec mid jump.

I think this happens to me too, randomly losing charge mid spin. Might be a bug?

I’ve had a bunch of situations where it’s got me hit too, thought it might be my controller being broken at first - but it’s fine for everything else.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Crafty posted:

I think this happens to me too, randomly losing charge mid spin. Might be a bug?

I’ve had a bunch of situations where it’s got me hit too, thought it might be my controller being broken at first - but it’s fine for everything else.

I was consistently pulling them off before hand, and no patch had been made. Pretty sure that means it is me

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zet posted:

"Find a crew" seems busted (infinite loader icon) so I've added the couple of folks I could find from page 1. My KO City ID is "Zetilicious"

Was wondering about this.

KO City ID: sigourney_w3aver if anyone wants to throw/be thrown

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
KOID: HFacktor

Always down to gently caress around in any mode for XP or get really sweating in League Play (just hit plat last night).

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

same im also adding people KOID: Cerepol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I hate the hideout, which forces me into a loading screen every time I boot up the game or leave a match.

Just give me a Hideout menu option and save me a few seconds. Also, just kinda fix the main menu in general.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Hide out would be great if they ever make a native ps5 version so it would load instantly

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Pants Donkey posted:

I hate the hideout, which forces me into a loading screen every time I boot up the game or leave a match.

Just give me a Hideout menu option and save me a few seconds. Also, just kinda fix the main menu in general.

Yeah it's weird that you can't change what mode you're queueing up for without leaving to the hideout and going through a loading screen, hopefully they change that + add some colorblind options cause the target warning for Ultimate Ball strikes being BRIGHT PINK doesn't work so well for a friend of mine who sees it as a bright blue/grey which blends in with the ground a lot

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Putting someone into the cage ball and then dashing them down a gap to a certain death is one of the most satisfying feelings I’ve ever had in any multiplayer game.

You can really sneak up behind people in this game for an easy hit, it works so well when people are already fighting your team mates. You just don’t charge at all, get close and fire. They don’t even get a warning.

Here’s a good example of my two favourite things, a sneak attack and a caged sucker flying into the abyss:

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/obstaclejuan/video/136675737

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

A buddy of mine calls the cage ball the Hillary Clinton ball and it makes me laugh every time

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Game is still fun, but I’m definitely interested in seeing how long it takes to get a match in a month or two.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Their matchmaking is busted right now. I’ve had games where it’s 2v3 or 1v3 for a whole round. I understand ranked having no mid-match joins, but no excuse in street play.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1402863544257875980

Both my teammates tried dashing under the same train, bumped into each other, and died to lose the round.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

American McGay posted:

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1402863544257875980

Both my teammates tried dashing under the same train, bumped into each other, and died to lose the round.

Lmao those trains have claimed so many lives

But it also feels incredible to tackle someone into them

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

This game is super fun to play but it desperately needs a “vote to skip” option for all the cutscenes (entrances/victory poses/etc). There’s no way they’re all necessary for loading and it’s tedious every time.

I think Rocket League had that feature for all that stuff and it made it so much easier to keep playing match after match.

The cynical part of me assumes it’s because they plan to release branded animations like cracking open a Monster Energy or whatever so they’re making all this poo poo unskipable off the bat.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 10, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I feel like the time between matches is fine, especially if you're cancelling and then restarting the matchmaking after each match. Gives me time to scroll on my phone and then miss what the special ball is and get disappointed when I see it's a sniper.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

American McGay posted:

I feel like the time between matches is fine, especially if you're cancelling and then restarting the matchmaking after each match. Gives me time to scroll on my phone and then miss what the special ball is and get disappointed when I see it's a sniper.

Yeah the matchmaking part is fine when you cancel and manually start matchmaking, but the “show the losers for 15 seconds, transition, now show the winners for 15 seconds” thing gets old really fast. Same for the full entrances and special ball roulette reveal. Just too much unskippable repetitive stuff to watch without playing the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's not 15 seconds it's more like 4 seconds, and cosmetics and win/lose animations are a big part of the game. It's never going away.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

American McGay posted:

It's not 15 seconds it's more like 4 seconds, and cosmetics and win/lose animations are a big part of the game. It's never going away.

I just counted and after loading there is exactly 30 seconds of unskippable poo poo before a match starts. That’s too long IMO. You disagree. I think it stinks in a game where the idea is that you play match after match after match.

Yes cosmetics are a big part which is why you could not vote to skip and watch your person breakdance if you really want to but I reckon most people would opt to start playing the game faster after they’ve seen that once or twice.

edit: Also the Sniper Ball rules because so many people fall for the slow throw, I get a bunch of KOs using it as a close/mid range weapon. Maybe we just disagree on everything.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 10, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Ranked definitely gas mid match joining, I joined in a game to get a single throw in the last round for an easy win.

Seymour Buttz posted:

IYes cosmetics are a big part which is why you could not vote to skip and watch your person breakdance if you really want to but I reckon most people would opt to start playing the game faster after they’ve seen that once or twice.

you're confused, i don't care about seeing my character show off, i want others to *have* to see me do my sweet dance in my cool outfit and have thoughts about it.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Rocket League has the same kind of ending where the winners can dance and move their car about. It feels like less than 30 seconds, though? It does have a vote to skip replays of goals, but I haven't seen a skip setting for the endings.

Thanks to Master_Odin for joining in for a couple rounds. Was a good time! :) Hadn't had a chance to play with anyone from the thread yet.

Also, the outfit I was using was "Cyber Spike: Gone Gold" which is an alt style for Cyber Spike: Noir. Sorry, I was gonna go back and say but I forgot

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Their matchmaking is busted right now. I’ve had games where it’s 2v3 or 1v3 for a whole round. I understand ranked having no mid-match joins, but no excuse in street play.

every time i try to play ranked it spends two seconds matchmaking and then puts me in like a 2v3 with 200 ping

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Playing some ranked, and at gold, it's definitely an easy win if you can get your team to get a good pass game going. Never charging up and rapidly changing angles really gets results. Though seems like most pubs don't yet seem to get the power of passing and that sucks.

Zet posted:

Thanks to Master_Odin for joining in for a couple rounds. Was a good time! :)
Yeah! Gotta get those crew contracts! All hail the burger car!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/knockoutcity/status/1403321112876961793

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
This game has been filling a Monday Night Combat-sized hole in my heart (yes I know those were different types of shooters, but the aesthetic is pretty drat close).

Someone invite me to goon squad, KO ID my username.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I've never played on a team or with any sort of comms and I have been literally one win away from emerald rank three times now

urgh I can taste it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I know what you mean. Spent the whole weak getting *this* close to Platinum then losing a bunch. Somehow managed to go all the way from Gold 1 to Sapphire today...

...I can't feel too good about it though, one of those wins on my streak had our team kick the poo poo out of the NonbinaryKweenz crew...during Pride Month...:smith:

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

this game is real fun

pls add: boatshoes

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Apologies to the unranked person in this thread I dragged into Ruby matches because it goes by highest rank in the party. At least we won one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new 4v4 w/ balls mode is a total clusterfuck but it's honestly kinda fun because when you die you don't even fully feel like it was because you hosed up it's just kinda inevitable.

Whereas if you're getting sweaty in 3v3 and you get owned you get pissed at yourself for it.