Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

Never played Other M but everything I've heard about it makes me wonder how the gently caress it got made.

I played Other M and it's a casualty of the phenomenon where a creator gets so legendary and respected that nobody will say no to them or point out the concept is really not working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

I played Other M and it's a casualty of the phenomenon where a creator gets so legendary and respected that nobody will say no to them or point out the concept is really not working

Its this. There are records of people telling him "hey, this mechanically seems like a terrible idea" and him going "sorry, thats my vision".

Other M is a game with no delays, no engine issues, no budget shortfalls, no leadership changes, and no market trend chasing. It is the pure, exact vision of its Director and top to bottom their vision is horrendous

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I knew it was a George Lucas prequels situation but even then it's hard to wrap your head around how bad it is from not only a gameplay perspective but how bad the story is and how much it shits on the main character.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the prequels are to be lauded for at least being a guy's complete vision instead of being designed by committee with no plan at all

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think my favorite unforced what the gently caress is that the game has mandatory pixel hunt investigation moments, including what would normally be a final boss fight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All I have to say is the baby

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I still believe that it would only take a few changes to make the game at least passably fun to play, maybe like 6/10 gameplay. Remove pixel hunts, make the dodge window way smaller so you can't just roll the d-pad with no timing and dodge everything, full analog movement and controller options. I like the point-to-first-person concept a lot, but yeah it was definitely clunky. However, those changes would only address very basic gameplay complaints, and there are way larger structural problems like core item progression and story that would have to be thrown out entirely and rebuilt in order for it to become a really good game. And at that point, just make a new game.

It was such a disappointment, because man if it wasn't basically my most anticipated game of that decade.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Here's a recap of the new and upcoming games that were shown at the major conferences/showcases during Summer Games Fest and E3.

I left out content update announcements, other than major expansions. I may have also missed a few from the Microsoft conference, because when I started the list I was only cataloging Game Pass games (but that's nearly everything Microsoft showed). The Nintendo section is split between Switch exclusives and "everything else".

I considered linking the trailer videos for each game, but... :effort:

* denotes games that were shown at multiple E3 press conferences

Summer Games Fest

New and upcoming games announced/shown:
- Tiny Tina's Wonderlands* (Early 2022)
- Metal Slug Tactics (TBA)
- Jurassic World Evolution 2 (2021)
- Sable (2021)
- Lost Ark (Fall 2021)
- Salt and Sacrifice (2022)
- Solar Ash (2021)
- Two Point Campus* (TBA)
- The Anacrusis (TBA)
- New World (August 2021)
- Vampire The Masquerade: Blood Hunt (2021)
- House of Ashes* (October 2021)
- Tales of Arise (September 2021)
- Sky: Children of the Light (June 2021)
- Planet of Lana (2022)
- Dungeons and Dragons: Dark Alliance (June 2021)
- Monster Hunter Stories 2* (July 2021)
- Endless Dungeon (TBA)
- Far Cry 6* (October 2021)
- Back 4 Blood* (October 2021)
- Tribes of Midgard* (July 2021)
- Evil Dead: The Game (2021)
- Elden Ring (January 2022)

Ubisoft

- Rainbox Six Extraction (September 2021)
- Riders Republic (September 2021)
- Just Dance 2022* (November 2021)
- Far Cry 6* (October 2021)
- Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope* (2022)
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (2022)

Devolver Digital

- Shadow Warrior 3 (2021)
- Trek to Yomi (2022)
- Phantom Abyss (Early Access June 2021, Release TBA)
- Wizard with a Gun (2022)
- Death's Door (July 2021)
- Inscryption (2021)
- Tumble Time (2021)
- Demon Throttle (TBA)

Gearbox

- Tiny Tina's Wonderlands* (Early 2022)
- Tribes of Midgard* (July 2021)
- Godfall: Fire and Darkness expansion (August 2021)
- Homeworld 3 (TBA)

Microsoft

New and upcoming Xbox and PC games announced/shown (all available on Game Pass):
- Starfield (November 2022)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 (April 2022)
- Back 4 Blood* (October 2021)
- Contraband (TBA)
- Twelve Minutes (August 2021)
- Psychonauts 2 (August 2021)
- Party Animals (2022)
- Somerville (2022)
- Halo Infinite (Holiday 2021)
- A Plague Tale: Requiem (2022)
- Slime Rancher 2 (2022)
- Shredders (December 2021)
- Atomic Heart (TBA)
- Replaced (2022)
- Grounded (2021-ish, Early Access now)
- Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (2022)
- Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (2023)
- The Ascent (August 2021)
- Age of Empires IV (October 2021)
- The Outer Worlds 2 (TBA)
- Top Gun expansion for Flight Simulator (Fall 2021)
- Forza Horizon 5 (November 2021)
- Redfall (Summer 2022)

Existing or recently-announced non-exclusive games confirmed for Game Pass:
- Hades
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon
- Bethesda collection

Square-Enix

- Guardians of the Galaxy (October 2021)
- Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters (TBA)
- Legend of Mana (June 2021)
- Babylon's Fall (TBA)
- Life is Strange Remastered (September 2021)
- Life is Strange: True Colors (September 2021)
- Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (2022)

Capcom

- The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (July 2021)

Nintendo

New and upcoming Switch-exclusive games announced/shown:
- Mario Party Superstars (October 2021)
- Metroid Dread (October 2021)
- Mario Golf: Super Rush (June 2021)
- WarioWare: Get It Together (September 2021)
- Shin Megami Tensei V (November 2021)
- Danganronpa: Decadance (late 2021)
- Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope* (2022)
- Advance Wars 1+2 Remake (December 2021)
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity expansion (June/November 2021)
- Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD (July 2021)
- Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 (Actual title TBA, 2022)

Existing or recently-announced non-exclusive games confirmed for Switch:
- Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (October 2021)
- Life is Strange: True Colors*
- Guardians of the Galaxy*
- Worms Rumble
- Astria Ascending
- Two Point Campus*
- Just Dance 2022*
- Cruis'n Blast
- Dragonball Z Kakarot
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (late 2021)
- Doom Eternal expansion
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2
- Strange Brigade

Bandai Namco

- House of Ashes* (October 2021)

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 16, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They're doing a Borderlands centered on Tiny Tina? Christ almighty.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FPzero posted:

I still believe that it would only take a few changes to make the game at least passably fun to play, maybe like 6/10 gameplay. Remove pixel hunts, make the dodge window way smaller so you can't just roll the d-pad with no timing and dodge everything, full analog movement and controller options. I like the point-to-first-person concept a lot, but yeah it was definitely clunky. However, those changes would only address very basic gameplay complaints, and there are way larger structural problems like core item progression and story that would have to be thrown out entirely and rebuilt in order for it to become a really good game. And at that point, just make a new game.

It was such a disappointment, because man if it wasn't basically my most anticipated game of that decade.

I think one of my absolute favorite little things is how there are multiple hallways that are long enough for the speed booster to kick in, but they purposefully put a teeny tiny obstacle exactly before where it would kick in so you can never activate it in those places. You will use this power in the two designated hallways, and by god we checked to make sure.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Barudak posted:

I think one of my absolute favorite little things is how there are multiple hallways that are long enough for the speed booster to kick in, but they purposefully put a teeny tiny obstacle exactly before where it would kick in so you can never activate it in those places. You will use this power in the two designated hallways, and by god we checked to make sure.

They even went so far as to canonically name the Shinespark and call it out as a proper ability, instead of it being a technique never named in the games themselves to that point. And you can only use it like three times.

At the very, *very* least, it was cool to see Speed Booster in a "3D" game for once.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I guess some people like her, but I’m pretty sure those who do need to be put on some kind of watch list.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Groovelord Neato posted:

She's apparently a popular character. Not my favorite, but she doesn't grate on me like she seems to on other people. Also, Ashley Burch is awesome and I'm happy to see her getting to do whatever the gently caress she wants.

I'm excited about Wonderlands because it's a new Borderlands game, presumably with Borderlands-style co-op. I don't care about the BL story, and the humor sometimes makes my skin crawl, but damned if I don't find the actual gameplay really fun.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

She's apparently a popular character. Not my favorite, but she doesn't grate on me like she seems to on other people. Also, Ashley Burch is awesome and I'm happy to see her getting to do whatever the gently caress she wants.

I'm excited about Wonderlands because it's a new Borderlands game, presumably with Borderlands-style co-op. I don't care about the BL story, and the humor sometimes makes my skin crawl, but damned if I don't find the actual gameplay really fun.

Sounds like it's more of a spin off based on that DND-themed DLC from Borderlands 2, which I think was fairly well received.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The character isn’t great, but the DND parody DLC this is based off was the best Borderlands expansion.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

WhiteHowler posted:

Here's a recap of the new and upcoming games that were shown at the major conferences/showcases during Summer Games Fest and E3.

Thank you for doing that work. The only thing I can see to correct is that Super Monkey Ball and Fatal Frame are not exclusive to Switch.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fix posted:

Thank you for doing that work. The only thing I can see to correct is that Super Monkey Ball and Fatal Frame are not exclusive to Switch.

Thanks, I'll update. I don't follow either of those series, and the first I've seen of them was during the Nintendo conference, so I assumed they were exclusives.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Groovelord Neato posted:

"E3 Award"-winning Tiny TIna...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Here are games from E3 that have demos this week as a part of Steam's Next Fest. you can download and play them now:

Action:
They Always Run
ProtoCorgi
Unsighted
Death Trash
AK-xolotl
Deathrun TV
Trifox

Adventure:
Sable
Narco
Omno
The Big Con
Gamedec

ARPG:
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
The Riftbreaker

FPS:
Fallen Aces (not up yet)
Industria (not up yet)
Severed Steel

Metroidvania:
Blaster Master Zero 3
Greak
GRIME

PHOTOGRAPHY GAMES, THE MOST IMPORTANT GENRE:
Toem

Platformer (non-Metroidvania):
Demon Turf (3D platformer)
Super Magbot
Rainbow Billy (3D platformer)
Octarina
Toodee & Topdee
A Tale of Paper
The Lightbringer
Alex Kidd DX

Builder:
Terra Nil

Puzzle:
Inscryption
Freshly Frosted
Potion Craft
Unpacking

Strategy:
WH4K: Battlesector

Cute and/or Life Sim:
Button City
My Time at Sandrock
Apico
Frogsong
Lake
Bear & Breakfast

Visual Novel/Story:
Beacon Pines
Please be Happy
Road 96
Tracks of Thought
Letters
No Longer Home
Venice 2089
Game Director Story

Multiplayer:
Lumberhill
Trash Sailors
King of the Hat

Hidden Object:
Labyrinth City

Misc:
WolfStride
Dodgeball Academia

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 16, 2021

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Xbox is doing an "extended" showing tomorrow - https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1405178379578396676
Their demo portion of the Summer Game Fest has also kicked off - https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/06/15/idxbox-summer-game-demo-fest-showcases-40-games/

Steam Next Fest has an absurd amount of demos now, too - https://store.steampowered.com/sale/nextfest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Hell Let Loose is legit a fantastic battlefield-like game and I'm excited for it to finally be leaving 'alpha'.

The community is also super strong, although definitely avoid the public servers. (There's a gaming commune of heavily moderated private servers that ban poo poo heads and Cheaters and share the banlist amongst them.