Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Pretty sure the current setting of a dormant volcano (which is absolutely going to blow by the end of the arc) was a very deliberate choice in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I. M. Gei posted:

holy gently caress that owned

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Glad to see the tragic sacrifice child again. All he ever wanted to do was dance with the other kids. Hope that means he can come to an understanding with Jiji, the kid who absolutely cannot, will not, ever Turn It Off. All thanks to the power of headbanging.

The Ones Who Rock the Face Off Omelas

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Since Viz is taking its time with print collections, is it too much to hope that a redraw is a possibility...?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I dunno, I'm getting too used to the OPM redraws?

Also as people have said, it's just such an off-putting way to kick off a series. It took off in spite of that but not hard to imagine an editor or marketing person getting cold feet and floating the idea when it comes time for the mass print market. Then again, some of the poo poo that makes it into, say, Barnes and Noble anyway...

Author could be feeling dissatisfied with how it fits in with the series as it is now, too. Grasping at straws, obviously.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 21, 2022

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

It's just a perfect, simple concept for a series -- moreover, one that seems so simple and obvious that anyone could have done it by now (and I'm sure there are antecedents), enhanced a millionfold by the fact that it's being executed with truckloads of charm and artistic skill and invention. Just a perfect storm of entertainment.

Just... shame about all the people who had to die in this kaiju fight R.I.P. but it's for a good cause

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Ah, that's good to know. I missed a bunch of chapters stretching from before the crab aliens to the end of the arc introducing Aira so that must have been somewhere in there.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, Okarun actually has his own wants and desires, along with it being pretty clear who he likes, while Tenchi's just... there. Also, Okarun actually interacts with other guys his age regularly unlike Tenchi (unless that changed in later series).

Tenchi had that one goony best friend in episode 1 of the very first OVA who is never seen again. That is also, not so coincidentally, the first and last time Tenchi is anything other than passive, and closer to a normal teenager who just wants to have a goof and sneak into places he shouldn't.

Honestly the rapid downspiral of the Tenchi series is concomitant with what looks very much like induction into a cult that isolates him from his former life. It even has its own heavily-armed compound and ends in a group marriage.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Momo's burgeoning friendship with Vamola, despite herself, is just adorable.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

What the gently caress does "globalist from outer space" mean anyway when space is apparently full of various inhabited globes.

And "They are few in number" please please please tell me the author's research didn't go so far down the UFO conspiracy rabbit hole that they've come back with Space Jews

Only half joking and it's probably on the translator, but "imperialist", "expansionist", and other synonyms would seem to have been more appropriate. "Globalist" is just so charged, it's a weird choice

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The funniest possible outcome is that it was a malapropism that was meant innocently and 100% literally, because they're fixated on one specific globe, as is the central conceit of all alien-invasion stories. The invaders are Earthaboos who have observed Earth culture and invade because they think Earth is into it. Vamola just wanted to chill and show off her cool Godzilla kigu to her new Earth friends.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

He does the Akira skid right into Momo/Jiji/Aira/Shrimp, taking them all the gently caress out

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

"Come at me. I'm gonna beat the living poo poo out of you" :allears: She really is her grandmother's granddaughter

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

In a genre rife with arbitrary powerups that have to be announced and justified with quantification, Mr. Shrimp understands that spurious math is the true secret weapon.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Ain't arguing with any of that, I just get tickled by the precision in saying things like "I'm 12x/16x/19.5x stronger now". Though now I think about it I guess I could believe if anyone's keeping such precise, careful records of their Daily Gains it'd be Shrimp

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Oh yeah, sorry, don't get me wrong, that post was great! My only point was, as expressed in the comic, it's just not the terms by which people usually understand or verbally express our own capabilities. And that's more a function of the medium in general; like for drama purposes you want to express why the hero is the underdog, and then gradually reveal the reason why they're able to turn the tables.

It's not even exclusive to manga; Aquaman is stronger underwater and the same basic scenario has probably played out numerous times over the decades. How do you express that sort of tension, conflict, and catharsis in a way that works in a mixed visual/textual medium? Better people than me have tried. "You have X? Well I have X+1!" is as good a way as any of whetting the reader's expectations, if accompanied by appropriately expressive art. I guess the other end of the spectrum would be, for example, Frank Quitely's art in We3; the violence is usually silent, kinetic, inventive, and requires a hefty investment on the part of the reader. No judgments either way! I just find shouting Numberwang to be amusing on its own merits.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Wait, how did Vamola get the suit back? I thought the aliens had it. Or was it being held in the big guy's "backpack" that Momo busted open?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Brought To You By posted:

He loves his family, cares for his friends, honors his debts, works hard, and punches the ever-loving poo poo out of his enemies. He's a simple man but we love him.

He's the best representation of adult non-toxic masculinity we could hope for in this series (Okarun and Jiji are cool and non-conventional representations but still not yet adults).

Honestly maybe Vamola should be giving him a second look, considering her adoptive mom's guidance.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Now that he's had his character epiphany, there's a chance he'll settle down a bit. Though the funniest possibility is that he only said that because it's the sort of thing you say in animes like this.

also

RuBisCO posted:

holy poo poo god drat

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

No cliffhanger and the art team's probably got a massive sleep debt to work off, good on 'em

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Re-reading and just marveling again at the slight fish-eye perspective in that opening 2-page spread. Great way to convey the whole scene, and technically astounding.

How does Shrimp manipulate chopsticks with those boxing gloves, though?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Better not be some kind of tape-leg, I draw the line at those.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Dandadan: Ball is life

Is the vamola calling herself a fellow supposed to be a formal/polite thing or using masculine pronouns thing

It's intended as a callback to the line attributed to the actor Ken Takakura, "I am an awkward fellow, after all", which was mentioned in the early chapters, and I guess this is a consequence of Okarun/Ken teaching Vamola some more Japanese. But now I'm really interested in what exactly is getting translated into "fellow". It's obviously idiosyncratic enough to be associated with that particular line from that particular actor, but a quick Google search hasn't revealed yet if anyone's dissected the translation. Hell, it would be nice to just know which movie it came from.

edit: \/\/\/ Thank you!

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 18, 2023

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I was wondering if we'd ever see that buttinsky class rep again. And everyone's being weirdly open now with their powers. Maybe part of St. Germain's influence? I do like how his dialogue has some sort of disorienting, temporally-disjointed quality to it, definitely affecting minds and also maybe affecting narrative a bit.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Viz released the official volume 5 translation this week and I completely forgot that Jiji's favorite soccer team is Paris Saint-Germain

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

He did it, the crazy bastard did it, we're in Fury Road now

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Electric Phantasm posted:

That first spread is godlike. This is probably gonna sound crazy, but it feels like it's conveying a lot motion despite being a single static image.

Not crazy at all -- it's a really masterful 'guiding' of the eye around the page; it's the easiest thing in the world to follow the action from the head of the school monster, to the statues pouring out of it and running along the arms. Your eye moves over them, and as they are all in alternating running poses the effect is not unlike animation -- then you follow the figures along the bottom and left side of the page to the action down at the festival float, and it's probably at that point you're seamlessly moving down to the next panel focusing on Momo in the float.

It's a neat trick and it's so striking because it's rarely done so incredibly skillfully. You can see sort of the same thing going on in some Chainsaw Man spreads too (like Asa and whatsername running from the Bat Devil early on -- this is going to sound crazy but that sequence feels like sine Little Nemo comics or others where the action can be more fluid and not really bounded by panels).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Tell them only "frog washing machine" and see where they go with that

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Things will probably wrap back around to the big alien war, too, the resolution seemed too pat and like something that can be undone eventually. Plus the revelation that the Battle Grannies are alive and taking the long route to Earth was so cool.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

He's a surly bad boy with a secret heart of gold, I bet Aira would eat that poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000