Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
my first thought is auto-choke setting wrong (too far on?) until it either gets warm enough to open up, or going wide open forces it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, that dealer is local-ish to me and I ordered for pickup at the old price of $43 and free shipping a long while back. The drop to $20ish is recent and I suspect they're clearing them out of inventory altogether. For anyone else, definitely worth shopping that part number at local dealers.

if you have personal experience with this kit, do you know if it has the standard sealed beam mounting tabs, or if it's something proprietary to whatever toyota this is for, and would need mechanical adapting to work in whatever sealed beam jalopy one might be upgrading?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I'm not a car guy and this might be way wrong, but I used to have an old 70's car with a GM V8 in it, and it had an auto choke. It took me a while to figure out because the lady I bought it off couldn't tell me a lot about the car, but reading the manual for it the idea was:

Start the car and let it run in park for a few minutes to warm up.
The revs slowly creep up as it warms up.
You give it a good blatt of the throttle, a real decent Vroom
The choke kicks off and the car settles into a nice low idle.

I used to have the same problem before I figured it out, it was revving too high in idle on starting and putting it into drive it would bang and lurch. This might not help at all but it's another uh piece of data?

Cool car though I love reading these threads and living vicariously through them.

this is how auto chokes usually work, yes. the fast idle cam is trying to pull off, but it can't really rotate against the throttle return spring. so you need to blip the throttle to get the throttle open (i.e. off the fast idle stop) long enough for the cam to rotate out of the way, and when it comes back down it'll land on the normal idle stop instead.

on my car, i ended up just zip tying the choke all the way open cause it sometimes would get stuck and the idle wouldn't come off the cam unless i poked the linkage a little. seems to start fine without it, so no loss