Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Brut posted:

What the gently caress? This sounds insane where do I find this?

dont know it was a long half-remembered memory

youtube however did provide this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxhAAfjWqjo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When Bendo wrestled Thatch the general reaction was "woah welterweight Bendo is gonna be sick" when in reality it turned out that welterweight Bendo was extremely sad and Thatch was even sadder.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

CommonShore posted:

Remember when he narrowly avoided assault charges after beating up that football guy in a street brawl?

The football guy had just sucker punched a lady for not wanting anything to do with him and then Huerta, outweighed by about 150 pounds wiped the floor with him. Not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need. Plus, he had fun fights.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Friend on Twitter mentioned Scott Jorgensen and so now I am remembering Scott Jorgensen, a Guy who I always wished was more successful than he ended up being

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Same but for Ricardo Morias. He should have been an unstoppable jits monster. He should have been a household name. Action figures, blockbuster movie cameos, a line of oversized activewear. Instead we got a lot of nothing stretched out over too much time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I just remembered Roger Gracie's UFC run and laughed.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Lid posted:

I just remembered Roger Gracie's UFC run and laughed.

he got very tuckered out and was out-grappled by tim kennedy, woof.

I thought Robert Drysdale would have been something as well, but it turns out every bjj guy is 90% steroids, 10% acai

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Guys I just remembered in succession as I was trying to remember some guys

-jake shields
-mayhem miller
-the other 17 guys involved in the Strikeforce on CBS brawl
-the commentator saying "this is normal in MMA" and thus killing their CBS deal
-seth petruzelli

I shall hear no slander of Gus Johnson

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Troy Queef posted:

I shall hear no slander of Gus Johnson

these things happen when remembering some guys

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I bought a Karo 'The Heat' Parisyan tshirt online when I was in high school but had to flip it inside out when I got to school because the entire front design was Shirtless Karo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

that made me remember manny gamburyan trying to big time nate diaz on tuf by bragging about karo being his cousin lol.

on other "remember that tuf guy," the first to come to mind is ol piss drinking pioneer (iirc) luke cummo. second was tamden "the barn cat" mcrory.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Eat This Glob posted:

second was tamden "the barn cat" mcrory.

You've never truly watched a Tamdan McCrory fight until you watched a Tamdan McCrory fight with someone who had a huge crush on Tamdan McCrory. As my friend did throughout Tamdan McCrory's tenure as a bottom card fighman. He was a very beautiful man, apparently.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

shadow puppet of a posted:

He was a very beautiful man, apparently.

fuckin a

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Tamdam McCrory v Dustin Hazellett is the best goon fight ever.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
does anyone have any gifs of katsunori kikuno crescent kicking people's livers to powder? i just randomly thought about him today, i thought his style was going to revolutionise MMA but instead he decided to invite people to punch him in the face to prove the invincible warrior spirit of karate and his career fell off a cliff.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

CommonShore posted:

When Bendo wrestled Thatch the general reaction was "woah welterweight Bendo is gonna be sick" when in reality it turned out that welterweight Bendo was extremely sad and Thatch was even sadder.

Bendo's entire career could fit here given before he was champion he was one if the most beloved fighters here, won the belt in very iffy circumstances, all but one of his defences were extremely iffy decisions, with the crowd booing him decided to spend an entire post fight denying a tooth pick existed, proposed in the ring to the loudest boos you have ever heard... and then just fell apart after Pettis choked him to death so suddenly the fams didnt even react because it was so sudden they didnt know the fight was over.

What a strange career.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lid posted:

Bendo's entire career could fit here given before he was champion he was one if the most beloved fighters here, won the belt in very iffy circumstances, all but one of his defences were extremely iffy decisions, with the crowd booing him decided to spend an entire post fight denying a tooth pick existed, proposed in the ring to the loudest boos you have ever heard... and then just fell apart after Pettis choked him to death so suddenly the fams didnt even react because it was so sudden they didnt know the fight was over.

What a strange career.

The Pettis sub was crazy, because he had so many fights where he got caught in a submission and just, didn't get submitted. It was almost a joke that it was a waste of time to try and tap him

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Foul Fowl posted:

does anyone have any gifs of katsunori kikuno crescent kicking people's livers to powder? i just randomly thought about him today, i thought his style was going to revolutionise MMA but instead he decided to invite people to punch him in the face to prove the invincible warrior spirit of karate and his career fell off a cliff.

Man, Dunc was such a huge fan of his style, and also talked up the taikiken kata Kikuno did, which started with this hissing kiai that sounded like he was gonna hock up a loogie.

Random highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2DLv0B0NxA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYBlv1lm4-I
His terrible defense in the UFC made me forget that he had some real dynamite in his hands.

I can't even think of his name in my head with an American pronunication; it's gonna be Schiavello's kahtsooNWOHreeee kihKUUnohh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lid posted:

What a strange career.

Then he went out and made Brandon Thatch look like he didn't belong in the UFC (he didn't) and then faded off into oblivion.

Bendo's career highlight is getting kicked in the face by Pettis jumping off the cage.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I went to college and had some classes with a guy named David Loiseau who did MMA.

I know gently caress all about MMA, was he a lol guy, halfway decent, or kinda good etc.?

All i remember is he came from the same gym as that St.Pierre fellow.

And personally a really nice guy, ran into him a couple years ago and still remembered me, asked about my friends etc.

stab fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 3, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, David "The Crow" Loiseau.

He was imo top 5-10 in his era. So pretty good but not a threat to the best.
There's always fighters who're regarded as good strikers, and he was billed that way.

This is probably his most memorable win:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

He was well known in his time. He holds a victory over Evan Tanner, who was considered a very good fighter back then.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Excuse me I think you meant “Warrior 1” or am I the only one who fondly remembers his plans for a commune of nameless masculine supportive empowerers?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

David Loiseau was actually extremely close to being champion. He got his shot at Rich Franklin when Franklin was the top dog, and while the fight is remembered for the career-defining beating Franklin put on him, three rounds into said beating Loiseau was still capable of dropping the world champion on his rear end.

But he was never quite the same after the confidence-destroying experience of that fight, and then Anderson Silva showed up and basically every pre-2006 middleweight abruptly seemed ancient by comparison.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CarlCX posted:

David Loiseau was actually extremely close to being champion. He got his shot at Rich Franklin when Franklin was the top dog, and while the fight is remembered for the career-defining beating Franklin put on him, three rounds into said beating Loiseau was still capable of dropping the world champion on his rear end.

But he was never quite the same after the confidence-destroying experience of that fight, and then Anderson Silva showed up and basically every pre-2006 middleweight abruptly seemed ancient by comparison.

And who knew that 15 years later we'd still get amazing things out of Silva like his KO of Tito Ortiz.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Excuse me I think you meant “Warrior 1” or am I the only one who fondly remembers his plans for a commune of nameless masculine supportive empowerers?

I... do not remember this, but would like to learn more!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Freudian slippers posted:

I... do not remember this, but would like to learn more!

It was the beautiful fruit of another night of Ol’ Ev spewing his mind’s contents out on The Underground. He had some bold vision of a new community of accountability whereby you shed your name and were assigned a Warrior number so you’d no longer be burdened by names, only the warriorness of yourself would remain. This would allow your fellow warriors in the community to better address you and support your highly accountable warrior efforts. It was surely to be an online thing if someone other than Evan could be roped into making it for him. Sadly I don’t remember if he envisioned a real world component. Because I would like to have imagined Evan out there in the desert that would eventually kill him, but happy and surrounded by fat mma nerds numbered Warrior 2 through Warrior 35 or so as they sweated through their at the time hard to get Pride logo T-shirt’s. Maybe that is what he set out to look for that fateful day. His numerical warriors.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
If I remember right, he was planning on starting it up in earnest after his trip out into the desert.

The saddest part is that he said ahead of time, this isn't an Into the Wild thing, he totes knows the pitfalls and he totes prepared for them.

And then he hiked 5 miles to the water source on his map, only to find it had dried up :smith:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

It was the beautiful fruit of another night of Ol’ Ev spewing his mind’s contents out on The Underground. He had some bold vision of a new community of accountability whereby you shed your name and were assigned a Warrior number so you’d no longer be burdened by names, only the warriorness of yourself would remain. This would allow your fellow warriors in the community to better address you and support your highly accountable warrior efforts. It was surely to be an online thing if someone other than Evan could be roped into making it for him. Sadly I don’t remember if he envisioned a real world component. Because I would like to have imagined Evan out there in the desert that would eventually kill him, but happy and surrounded by fat mma nerds numbered Warrior 2 through Warrior 35 or so as they sweated through their at the time hard to get Pride logo T-shirt’s. Maybe that is what he set out to look for that fateful day. His numerical warriors.

Amazing! Imagine what could have been, my warrior friend...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Forgot about this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBYmZsUjSFE

quote:

Tony Ferguson is type of guy to watch this to condition his ears.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Branko Cikatić.

There is a name that doesn't often pop into ones head at random while washing dishes. But I'm glad it did.

I admire his last of respect for Mark Kerr and his stupid little fly tattoo.

quote:

Though the end came officially at 2:14 of the first frame, the bout took much longer than that owing to the stoppages due to Cikatic's deliberate fouls. After Kerr, the impressively-physiqued newcomer to Pride, wrapped Cikatic's legs and threatened to bring him to the mat in the opening moments, Cikatic hooked his arm under the ropes in a clear violation and refused to release it as the refs attempted to pry the men apart.

Once the action resumed, Kerr again attempted a takedown, and upon driving Cikatic to the ring ropes, Cikatic deliberately elbowed Kerr multiple times to the base of the neck. Kerr responded by going into a fury, wailing on Cikatic as he drove him through the ropes and out of the ring, where Kerr continued to try to kick at him while he was down.

Sorry that you died last year Brank, I hope you made it a miserable afternoon for the grim reaper trying to liberate your soul from your corporeal body.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man thought pride had pro wrestling style rope brakes, what a champion

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Remember the Dog Brothers? The mma offshoot of LA based stick and cudgel fighters who would knock each others fingernails out with sticks and cudgels in public parks while wearing fencing Masks (sometimes) during that very late 90’s anything goes period of combat sports.

Wow they have a Wikipedia page. With cited quotes from Tait Fletcher no less.

I had forgotten about their -dog nickname granting scheme. I need to get better at remembering these guys.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I don't think I've ever heard of that. That sounds very 1990s and I guess I've got plans tonight

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lyle "Fancy Pants" Beerbohm. The Jerry Bohlander of Strkeforce.

Lyle is the one on the.... it should be obvious.

Remember when he got his first ever t-shirt contract, back when that was a hyooooge deal, when Todd "Affliction" Beard was in the prime of selling those enzyme-washed hot messes for $200 a shirt and rather than wait for someone credible to and wholesome to sign Lyle, Lyle jumped on the first patch of screen printable cotton he was offered and it turned out to be run by the literal nazis of Hoelzer Reich and rather than disclaim his sponsor Lyle posted "I don't know, its complicated" in response to the question of will he stick with the brand of actual nazi woodcutter fashion garments.

I mean sure he probably had car payments to make on an FJ Cruiser or something, but c'mon Lyle, you could have been a much better remembered guy.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lyle's mom made his fancy pants and prior to becoming a semi-guy in the b-leagues, he was in jail for meth

Being sponsored by nazis seems a totally normal path for that life

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

what I always remember about him is that he was to Cody McKenzie what Keith Jardine was to Rashad Evans - McKenzie used to talk about how Beerbohm was the total loving warrior in the gym and how Beerbohm was gonna beat everyone up in the UFC when he made it there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Tony Bonello

was going to link his wikipedia but they wised up and delted it (also he spent most of his time editing it himself)

notoriously the only guy to lose to the bull on Bully Beatdown

his wiki accomplishments were about a dozen silver medals in BJJ tournaments, but when checking the sources he was secon in a weight class of only two entrants every time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This album is unironically one of my favorite stupid albums of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lid posted:

Tony Bonello

was going to link his wikipedia but they wised up and delted it (also he spent most of his time editing it himself)

notoriously the only guy to lose to the bull on Bully Beatdown

his wiki accomplishments were about a dozen silver medals in BJJ tournaments, but when checking the sources he was secon in a weight class of only two entrants every time.

The canonical Tony Bonello career recap:

https://twitter.com/grabaka_hitman/status/1030690392205918208