Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

There was a Ninja Rua along with Shogun Rua? lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Brut posted:

His brother Murilo. He was pretty good, then he got murdered by Kharitonov and should have retired, but in stead fought a bunch more and got brain damage.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, Ninja was the first Rua brother in MMA and he was actually pretty good, enough so that at one point he arguably beat Rampage in his prime, but he was an undersized dude who in a better place and time in the sport would've been fighting at 170, but it was early 2000s Pride, so he was a pudgy 5'11" dude who needed actual brain surgery to recover from getting battered by heavyweights, and then instead of retiring after his combat-induced brain surgery he decided to fight for almost another decade.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, Ninja was the first Rua brother in MMA and he was actually pretty good, enough so that at one point he arguably beat Rampage in his prime

Rampage was visibly confused and shaking his head at himself winning the decision and tried to give Ninja the trophy, that and Lauzon edging out Marcine Held are the only times I can think of where a winning fighter immediately went "nah I didn't win that"

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I think an argument could also be made that he should have gotten the decision against Henderson back at Pride 17.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ninja had somewhat of a redemption for staying in Shogun's camp and helping him put some successful gameplans together.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Remember the Dog Brothers? The mma offshoot of LA based stick and cudgel fighters who would knock each others fingernails out with sticks and cudgels in public parks while wearing fencing Masks (sometimes) during that very late 90’s anything goes period of combat sports.

I like how honest they were with themselves about what they were doing -- it was dangerous and so injury prone that it's hard to develop and evolve open-rules weapons fighting, but we like it so we'll keep doing it. I swear there was a Fight Club style rule that if you showed up first time to one of their events, you had to spar someone.

coconono posted:

This album is unironically one of my favorite stupid albums of all time.
There's a whole album? :gonk:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I feel like I saw the Dog Bros Stick Fightin on one of those shows where a guy would travel to a land, learn about the local martial art and then get his rear end kicked by an expert

I know Jimmy Smith of Bellator was on one, but my brain tells me there was another, similar show

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chaleski posted:

Rampage was visibly confused and shaking his head at himself winning the decision and tried to give Ninja the trophy, that and Lauzon edging out Marcine Held are the only times I can think of where a winning fighter immediately went "nah I didn't win that"

Rampage also did that after his fight with Machida. He opened the post fight like "I don't know why I'm talking to you all right now he whooped my rear end."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

I feel like I saw the Dog Bros Stick Fightin on one of those shows where a guy would travel to a land, learn about the local martial art and then get his rear end kicked by an expert

I know Jimmy Smith of Bellator was on one, but my brain tells me there was another, similar show

Rallarsving? It was Swedish but I saw a lot of subbed episodes somewhere when it was running.

They had this gimmick called Wrestlegram where one of the hosts would dress up as a ... lucha gimp, and get delivered to wrestle their various guests.
This is when they went up against a Swedish Olympic wrestler who's like twice his size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA0L4lSkQyw

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

kimbo305 posted:

There's a whole album? :gonk:

I know, its all great stuff. He's got a sweet song about his kid, another one about speeding down the freeway and a bunch a songs about fuckin. All done up in the same kind of synthy fakedeep stream of consciousness style. Arguably the greatest accomplishment done by the Gracies.

I keep hoping for more rimbo music!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

coconono posted:

I know, its all great stuff. He's got a sweet song about his kid, another one about speeding down the freeway and a bunch a songs about fuckin. All done up in the same kind of synthy fakedeep stream of consciousness style. Arguably the greatest accomplishment done by the Gracies.

I keep hoping for more rimbo music!

Hmm, can't give him the satisfaction. Not after Metamoris.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Since we're remembering guys, we should remember Jamie Varner, who was a huge rear end in a top hat but also in really good fights. He had a brief early UFC run where he submitted someone then did a chicken dance like an rear end in a top hat, but he's better known for his run in the WEC

He won the title in a rad fight with 'Razor' Rod McCullough, mixing up takedowns and punches well enough that McCullough, an accomplished kickboxer, was finally blindsided and knocked out. He also defended against Cerrone and won via Technical decision (split) because Cerrone hit him with an illegal knee in the fifth. Enough of the fight had passed for the judges to make a decision. It's a solid fight with a very weird ending.

He was then injured so Cerrone and Bendo fought for an interim title in a fight of the year. They would cut to Varner doing his best smug tough guy face and the crowd would boo extremely loudly. He then lost to Bendo via guillotine and said 'I came to fight he came to grapple' which was a weird thing to say seeing as he'd gone for a guillotine himself. It hadn't worked because Bendo didn't believe in chokes so they didn't work on him .

He didn't really win anymore in the WEC. He got kicked in the balls a lot by Kamal Shalorous. When the WEC got folded into the UFC, they didn't bring Varner over.

He did wind up back in the UFC where, hilariously, he flattened Edson Barboza in the first round, derailing him in a way that Barboza has never really recovered from since it laid the blueprint to beat him so well. He had a really loving good fight with Joe Lauzon, a ridiculous brawl with noted beautiful eyed terrible person Abel Trujillo and then lost via exploded ankle against Krause and also sort of knocked himself out doing a lateral drop on Drew Dober. He retired after that, leaving a legacy of being really unlikeable but having really good fights.

Also, the afore-mentioned Abel Trujillo is the guy Khabib set the takedown record against.

LobsterMobster posted:

Friend on Twitter mentioned Scott Jorgensen and so now I am remembering Scott Jorgensen, a Guy who I always wished was more successful than he ended up being

Jorgensen was an odd case. His decline wasn't anything specific. It wasn't like his chin suddenly went or he got slower or abandoned some aspect of his style. He just...stopped winning fights. He was in some really good fights leading up to that.

beggar posted:

I bought a Karo 'The Heat' Parisyan tshirt online when I was in high school but had to flip it inside out when I got to school because the entire front design was Shirtless Karo

I remember Karo getting a fight overturned because he was on too many painkillers and screaming 'no' very loudly after waking up from being knocked out.

Lid posted:

Bendo's entire career could fit here given before he was champion he was one if the most beloved fighters here, won the belt in very iffy circumstances, all but one of his defences were extremely iffy decisions, with the crowd booing him decided to spend an entire post fight denying a tooth pick existed, proposed in the ring to the loudest boos you have ever heard... and then just fell apart after Pettis choked him to death so suddenly the fams didnt even react because it was so sudden they didnt know the fight was over.

What a strange career.

He's a dude who I've watched...a couple of dozen fights of over the years and I couldn't tell you a drat thing about his style. He was not terrible at anything and not especially good at anything. He got by on being strong, tough, and not having any real weaknesses. His first fight with Frankie was really loving good and his first title fight against Cowboy in the WEC was loving nuts.

Brut posted:

There's also a third brother nicknamed Shaolin. He doesn't fight, though.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

LobsterMobster posted:

Yeah Jimmy Smith was on a show called Fight Quest, which came out right around the same time as another similar show called Human Weapon. Funny enough, Jimmy holds a win by heel hook over the host of Human Weapon, Jason Chambers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

chaleski posted:

Yeah Jimmy Smith was on a show called Fight Quest, which came out right around the same time as another similar show called Human Weapon. Funny enough, Jimmy holds a win by heel hook over the host of Human Weapon, Jason Chambers.

Jimmy Smith also has a loss to Andy Wang.

In a thread full of noted shitbags and vanilla men everyone should cast their minds back to Chris Lytle. Notably he has a combat sports record of 69 (nice) fights. He had an insane finish rate in both boxing and MMA (winning by decision just 6 times in 44 wins) and started MMA as "something to keep active". He notably eschewed training in "mma" and instead focused on individual disciplines throughout his career training at dedicated boxing or BJJ gyms. He did all of this while a full time firefighter paving the way for other firefighter punchmen like Stipe Miocic and Stipe Miocic.

He was genuinely one of the most entertaining fighters to watch every time he stepped into the ring and earned 10 bonuses over his 10-10 UFC career. He retired from fighting primarily because he wanted to spend more time with his wife and 4 kids and as far as I can tell was always held in high regard by people around the sport as a good dude. For some reason though he came out of retirement 7 years after walking away from MMA to throw 3 people a beating in Bareknuckle FC. Winning 2 of his 3 fights by KO at about 45 years old.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Chris Lytle also has the honour of having never lost a fight in his total career by giving up. He has 18 losses, 16 of which were decisions and the other two were TKOs by Doctor Stoppage so someone else made the call that wasnt him or the ref.

So in his entire MMA career of 54 fights he never once got knocked out or submitted.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

According to Fightfinder he also holds a win over a man named Beaver "Beaver" Beaver

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It’s pronounced “Beh-varre”

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Remember the Dog Brothers? The mma offshoot of LA based stick and cudgel fighters who would knock each others fingernails out with sticks and cudgels in public parks while wearing fencing Masks (sometimes) during that very late 90’s anything goes period of combat sports.

Wow they have a Wikipedia page. With cited quotes from Tait Fletcher no less.

I had forgotten about their -dog nickname granting scheme. I need to get better at remembering these guys.

I used to attend martial arts classes partially run by a dude who did Dog Brothers stuff, which I found out when he disappeared for a week and then came back covered in welts and bruises, running people through stick-fighting drills for warm-ups.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Was thinking about Hector Lombard today. After being undefeated for a long, long time he went on a skid that lasted I think 6 years.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Was thinking about Hector Lombard today. After being undefeated for a long, long time he went on a skid that lasted I think 6 years.

I met him briefly at a fan event. I can confirm that he's got a loving gigantic head. Like, just physicially.

I can also confirm Soa Paleilei is really nice.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Speaking of giant heads. Kenny Florian is built like a jockey but has a giant bobblehead. Really nice dude in real life but a lot smaller than I expected.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Snowman_McK posted:

I can also confirm Soa Paleilei is really nice.

I've shared this elsewhere on the forums, but the Eddie Sanchez vs Soa Paleilei fight was so bad and boring that the host and his step daughter, who was my co-worker, got into a rapidly escalating verbal fight that led us to all leave in the middle of the card. This was before sports bars in my area held fights, and streaming was a twinkle in some Goog engineer's eye, so we ended up driving to someone else's house and refreshing a live blog to get fight results.

Trying to remember who Eddie Sanchez hung out with...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Master Thonglor

Surfing as a base for mma

Master Thonglor's business card with the roulette wheel on it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Remember the season-long tenure of Quentin “rampage” Jackson Cornerman?

“Get up!”
“Get up!”
“Get up!”

“Get up!”
“Knee to the butt!”

“Get up!”

“Get up!”
“Get up!”

It was an especially long season.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
score points

knock him out

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Stop losing!

Why are you losing?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

How DO you get the moon off you?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

He's already been remembered up in here before but whenever I see a mangled and distended bit of chain link fence i remember the time Tank Abbot spent what seemed like forever trying to extrude Yoji Anjo out of the ring through the bottom of the fence like a middling blob of japanese playdoh.

Yoji's scalp must have hurt so bad the next day.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he's maybe too famous for this thread but going through some old boxing reminded me of the legendary boxing feud between Andrew Golota and Riddick Bowe's testicles.

it's too bad this was pre-fight forums, because a big Polish lump destroying the reigning Heavyweight champion before getting DQed because he literally was not able to prevent himself* from punching him repeatedly in the balls, twice in a row, would have made him the ultimate online cult hero fighter ever

*as far as anyone can figure, there was no explanation for why he did this except that he literally could not stop his fighting instinct to punch people in the balls. after the second DQ he even does a hands-on-head "why did I do that" thing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

he's maybe too famous for this thread but going through some old boxing reminded me of the legendary boxing feud between Andrew Golota and Riddick Bowe's testicles.

it's too bad this was pre-fight forums, because a big Polish lump destroying the reigning Heavyweight champion before getting DQed because he literally was not able to prevent himself* from punching him repeatedly in the balls, twice in a row, would have made him the ultimate online cult hero fighter ever

*as far as anyone can figure, there was no explanation for why he did this except that he literally could not stop his fighting instinct to punch people in the balls. after the second DQ he even does a hands-on-head "why did I do that" thing

It also lead to a riot. I Can't remember if that was the first or second time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that was the first fight. the riot also featured Lou Duva nearly getting dumped out of a stretcher by some people failing to carry it up the arena stairs, which I really wish I didn't think was one of the funniest things I ever saw

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
While talking about the :filez: download where you can get a whole compilation of leg kick TKOs in MMA, Boco_T reminded me that Paul "The Polar Bear" Varelans existed. At which point we also discovered that he's the guy from the "blow jobber" story.

quote:

On June 22, 1996, at ECW's Hardcore Heaven event, Paul Varelans faced and was choked out by ECW star Taz, in what was promoted as a "shoot fight". Although the event was promoted as a legitimate shoot fight, Varelans agreed beforehand to lose via submission. In her 2001 autobiography Missy Hyatt, First Lady of Wrestling, Missy Hyatt claims that Varelans agreed to lose if she performed fellatio on him afterwards, but Hyatt refused saying that she did not "blow jobbers". Subsequently, Varelans allegedly became irrational and destroyed the locker room. He preceded this with two house show matches, defeating Jason Helton.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BlindSite posted:

Jimmy Smith also has a loss to Andy Wang.

In a thread full of noted shitbags and vanilla men everyone should cast their minds back to Chris Lytle. Notably he has a combat sports record of 69 (nice) fights. He had an insane finish rate in both boxing and MMA (winning by decision just 6 times in 44 wins) and started MMA as "something to keep active". He notably eschewed training in "mma" and instead focused on individual disciplines throughout his career training at dedicated boxing or BJJ gyms. He did all of this while a full time firefighter paving the way for other firefighter punchmen like Stipe Miocic and Stipe Miocic.

He was genuinely one of the most entertaining fighters to watch every time he stepped into the ring and earned 10 bonuses over his 10-10 UFC career. He retired from fighting primarily because he wanted to spend more time with his wife and 4 kids and as far as I can tell was always held in high regard by people around the sport as a good dude. For some reason though he came out of retirement 7 years after walking away from MMA to throw 3 people a beating in Bareknuckle FC. Winning 2 of his 3 fights by KO at about 45 years old.

Man, I remember this guy now. I caught his fight against Drew Lipton on late night TV once. Rewatching it is fun, dude's 15 years older than his opponent, comes out and just lays in a beating. Knockdown in the first series of blows, busted Lipton's eyebrow open, then knocked him down again after enough body blows his whole side's visibly bruising up as he gets up. Once more rush, lands a hard body blow on the right side then clips his chin and Lipton waves the ref off instead of getting up. Fun fight but man bareknuckle is brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa9QmA16GQ

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:pwn:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

“He hits hard!”

“Yeah, he does.”

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm saddened to report to the Remembering Guys thread that my look into the current whereabouts of Andre Roberts have him no showing a cush guest of honor spot at Warrior Games 7

Bad look Chief.

Also remember Monte Cox, the would-be Dana that never was who'se proposed solution to every early days MMA promotional problem was the first and foremost taking out of all involved parties for steaks?

Simpler days.

Also, get your poo poo together Roberts. Its not cool to disappoint the sort of three year old that is being raised on early ufc .mpeg files played over the Roku via plex in lieu of an actual babysitter. That kid needs all the light he can get in his life's trajectory

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Wait no. The steaks guy was Ken Pavia. Monte never made clear his dispute-steak policy. Sorry.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm saddened to report to the Remembering Guys thread that my look into the current whereabouts of Andre Roberts have him no showing a cush guest of honor spot at Warrior Games 7

Bad look Chief.

Also remember Monte Cox, the would-be Dana that never was who'se proposed solution to every early days MMA promotional problem was the first and foremost taking out of all involved parties for steaks?

Simpler days.

Also, get your poo poo together Roberts. Its not cool to disappoint the sort of three year old that is being raised on early ufc .mpeg files played over the Roku via plex in lieu of an actual babysitter. That kid needs all the light he can get in his life's trajectory

I've heard a very-well-sourced rumour that he is writing a memoir. I'll go as far as to say that I'm 100% sure that he is working on it, but who knows if it ever will come out. That said, I will 100% buy it if it does, because a Monte Cox memoir will be basically the best primary source about that era of MMA.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sometimes in the grocery store I am reminded of Kim "Sugar Free" Couture who stepped into Randy's spotlight and got a ton of poo poo for just existing and who then went on to her own professional fights, as one would, and who fought her first fight through multiple rounds with an entirely hosed up lower jaw where a chunk of teeth got shifted upwards like a seismic plate proving that Kim was far tougher than Randy could ever lay claim to.

When I'm reminded of Randy all that ever comes to mind is that gif of him doing the awkward dad intermission song groovin' neck dance while seated in the audience. Could someone please post that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that time former boxing champ ricardo mayorga almost had an mma fight with din thomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35YJGiJKsUE