Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
My brain is incapable of learning information about new fighters because it is burdened with remembering all sorts of Guys from years, even decades, ago. These are some of the Guys that I remember.

Mohan Dragon - Kickboxing

Mohan had a simple dream: Win a K1 WGP and take the purse earnings to open a curry stand. His fighting style consisted of enormous looping hooks that missed, but those were just set-ups to get his momentum going so he could land another huge, looping hook with the opposite hand and crush a face. I hope he realized his dream and his happy now. Or maybe he's still out there, punching faces in highly dramatic fashion. I wouldn't know, I don't watch kicky boxy that much these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTZOv5mOwjE

Marius Zaromskis - MMA

Zaromskis is a fun lil kickman who I thought was hotshit for about a year and a half at the end of the 2000s. He then lost to Nick Diaz in StrikeForce, poked Waachim Spiritwolf (another Guy) in the eyeballs what feels like 6 fights in a row and then I dunno, went back to Lithuania? :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW71z7iYwnY

Pablo Garza - MMA

The Scarecrow was a top-tier Guy for me for 2 whole entire fights in the UFC. How could he not be a Guy with a win by flying triangle and a win by flying knee (RIP to Fredson Paixao and your legendary parties with Jose Aldo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJYo6sH5OQ

Hisae Watanabe - MMA

Full disclosure: I was late to the party for Hisae's original MMA run. She was someone I stumbled across after the fact, I watched the fights of hers I could find, and luckily, I got to see her make a return to the sport many years later. She knocks these tiny ladies extremely dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3A--TWAfs

Who are some of your Guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzysztof_Soszynski

This is Krzysztof "Ivan" Sosynski. He started out in pro wrestling, which was my introduction to him as he wrestled on shows promoted locally by Don "Cyrus/Jackyl" Callis, who trained him. They basically sold him as a Goldberg type. To his credit, he seemed legit scary in person.

He bailed on wrestling, and got on TUF. He made it to the semis, and did okay in UFC before getting rocked so hard he doesn't remember the fight, and now does movies (he was in Logan, apparently) and promotes MMA shows. Career record 26-12-1, 5-2 in UFC. Not bad. Also the only period I've watched TUF, I wanted him to do well.

I remember K-Sos!

He was or maybe still is the only non-champion that Stephan Bonnar has ever lost to (Cut stoppage)

He was pretty good on that season of TUF.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

HEY!

i wanna remember adlan amagov

I saw him on some Strikeforce cards and he murked a few dudes, so I tried to check his back catalogue, which was also good. he's also the only guy i remember with a stoppage from an oblique kick/knee stomp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgKjtFZdUA

I'm pretty sure he's responsible for one of my favorite quotes regarding a fighter having nerves before a fight "i lived in a tent city in chechnya for years, where helicopters strafed machine gun fire. in the cage, it's just another man"

he retired, allegedly due to not wanting to cut weight any more. he may have been implicated in some light terrorism post-retirement

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

IGOR "ICE COLD" VOVCHANCHYN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWCZHdw2kE

he just hit things until the stopped moving, and then would hit them a few more times

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

this was a mixed rules match between jienotsu (kickboxer) and shinya aoki (grappler) where the first round was kickboxing and the second round was full MMA rules.

the guy getting knocked out, shinya aoki is a terrifyingly strong and skilled grappler despite looking like a creepy sex pervert nerd. he's also a creepy sex pervert nerd and an all around piece of poo poo. he got through the kickboxing round by running down the clock throwing drop kicks and tons of goofy poo poo that circumvented the rules.

this was the start of the second round. jienotsu was everyone's hero that night.

Don't leave out the best part, that Jienotsu is an avid cosplayer, and usually walks to the ring dressed as the prettiest anime babes in the land

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Remember Jorge Santiago?

25-10 Career, but 24-4 without his UFC fights? Repeatedly ranked as a top-worldwide middlweight, with a couple FOTY nominations, but a wet fart in his 3 UFC runs?

Santiago vs Misaki 4lyfe

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

I forget when I stopped watching TUF but those guys are some of the guys I like to remember the most. Remember the first season when carrying an armchair on a beach was the sole determining factor in what would be your MMA future? I happened upon a picture of the season one cast and I swear on my life I remember who Ganyo was, I remember Willa Ford, I very clearly remember the guy who got cut without ever even once touchin'em up at Magzzagattis behest, but I could not remember for the life of me the guy in the back middle. With the head shaped like a fire hydrant.

Nothing at all in my vast databanks of remembered guys. If you remember this man then I salute you. Also since he is dead now I'm sure he'd appreciate in a ghostly way being remembered once more. Solve the riddle for yourselves and go look him up.

Off the top of the head

Back row:

Kos, Hoger, Swick, Forrest, Randy, I wanna say Lodune Sincaid?, Chuck, Bonnar, Quarry, Schoenauer, Karalexis, Southworth, Sanford

Front row:

This man is a blank in my brainzo, Ken Flo, Thacker, Leben

Splits:

Sanchez

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Remember Cezar "Mewtanch" Ferreira?

Came in off of TUF: Brazil and was The Next Big Deal and beat some Brazilians and then got KOed by C.B. Dolloway. And then Sam Alvey. Then Jorge Masvidal in an illl-advised drop to welterweight.

He lost to Chris Camozzi this year, which I think actually invalidates his Brazilian citizenship.

He was Vitor's weird clone-son

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Karl James got put to sleep by Krazy Horse, lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

One of the biggest memories of my UFC fandom was the TUF season between Rampage and Rashad, which allows me to remember many guys:

-Kimbo and Roy Nelson, of course, but they went on to be actual guys not remember some guys

-big Wes Sims who was a weirdo
-Darren "titties" Schoonover, who wore glasses and seemed nicer than all the people mocking him.

Rampage fighting a door and breaking it down with combos was not a guy but I still remember it.

Marcus Jones, master of the mummy guard, expert gardener, a True Guy

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I thought he was a 205er who bulked up, not unlike Chris Weidman's friend, Gian Villante

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lid posted:

Remember Brandon Thatch was supposed to be the next big thing at welterweight?

if mma just outlawed cowardly grappling, rukus would of have been champ

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Friend on Twitter mentioned Scott Jorgensen and so now I am remembering Scott Jorgensen, a Guy who I always wished was more successful than he ended up being

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lid posted:

I just remembered Roger Gracie's UFC run and laughed.

he got very tuckered out and was out-grappled by tim kennedy, woof.

I thought Robert Drysdale would have been something as well, but it turns out every bjj guy is 90% steroids, 10% acai

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lid posted:

Bendo's entire career could fit here given before he was champion he was one if the most beloved fighters here, won the belt in very iffy circumstances, all but one of his defences were extremely iffy decisions, with the crowd booing him decided to spend an entire post fight denying a tooth pick existed, proposed in the ring to the loudest boos you have ever heard... and then just fell apart after Pettis choked him to death so suddenly the fams didnt even react because it was so sudden they didnt know the fight was over.

What a strange career.

The Pettis sub was crazy, because he had so many fights where he got caught in a submission and just, didn't get submitted. It was almost a joke that it was a waste of time to try and tap him

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lyle's mom made his fancy pants and prior to becoming a semi-guy in the b-leagues, he was in jail for meth

Being sponsored by nazis seems a totally normal path for that life

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I feel like I saw the Dog Bros Stick Fightin on one of those shows where a guy would travel to a land, learn about the local martial art and then get his rear end kicked by an expert

I know Jimmy Smith of Bellator was on one, but my brain tells me there was another, similar show

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

score points

knock him out

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I remember Matt Hughes on TUF saying to Din Thomas, "Din, I know that was you talking, I can see your big lips moving"

So, yknow, Go Freight Train

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Kevin Casey, the tiredest man in jiu jitsu once issued a warning to all fighters, flanked by The Hill's Spencer Pratt and a man jumping face first into a bonfire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2N2TiKI3o

Also, there was promoter Gary Shaw's horrid failson, $kala's attempt at whatever this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Bg6l_u-ZY

And my dude Alex Yakovlev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_HbK0c6sg

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Moat Fights.

LobsterMobster streaming moat fights for us many many years ago.

A Congolese dude cheating well over 100 unique times in one bout

i miss having ready and easy access to moat fights

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Ryan laflare

of all the bald white guys, he certainly was one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

I was thinking about this thread the other day, as while driving home I suddenly went "hey, what's Zack Mwekassa up to these days," and then it took me ten minutes to figure out what I even remembered Zack Mwekassa from.

https://twitter.com/pdlmma/status/1720246501459546603