Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Since we're remembering guys, we should remember Jamie Varner, who was a huge rear end in a top hat but also in really good fights. He had a brief early UFC run where he submitted someone then did a chicken dance like an rear end in a top hat, but he's better known for his run in the WEC

He won the title in a rad fight with 'Razor' Rod McCullough, mixing up takedowns and punches well enough that McCullough, an accomplished kickboxer, was finally blindsided and knocked out. He also defended against Cerrone and won via Technical decision (split) because Cerrone hit him with an illegal knee in the fifth. Enough of the fight had passed for the judges to make a decision. It's a solid fight with a very weird ending.

He was then injured so Cerrone and Bendo fought for an interim title in a fight of the year. They would cut to Varner doing his best smug tough guy face and the crowd would boo extremely loudly. He then lost to Bendo via guillotine and said 'I came to fight he came to grapple' which was a weird thing to say seeing as he'd gone for a guillotine himself. It hadn't worked because Bendo didn't believe in chokes so they didn't work on him .

He didn't really win anymore in the WEC. He got kicked in the balls a lot by Kamal Shalorous. When the WEC got folded into the UFC, they didn't bring Varner over.

He did wind up back in the UFC where, hilariously, he flattened Edson Barboza in the first round, derailing him in a way that Barboza has never really recovered from since it laid the blueprint to beat him so well. He had a really loving good fight with Joe Lauzon, a ridiculous brawl with noted beautiful eyed terrible person Abel Trujillo and then lost via exploded ankle against Krause and also sort of knocked himself out doing a lateral drop on Drew Dober. He retired after that, leaving a legacy of being really unlikeable but having really good fights.

Also, the afore-mentioned Abel Trujillo is the guy Khabib set the takedown record against.

LobsterMobster posted:

Friend on Twitter mentioned Scott Jorgensen and so now I am remembering Scott Jorgensen, a Guy who I always wished was more successful than he ended up being

Jorgensen was an odd case. His decline wasn't anything specific. It wasn't like his chin suddenly went or he got slower or abandoned some aspect of his style. He just...stopped winning fights. He was in some really good fights leading up to that.

beggar posted:

I bought a Karo 'The Heat' Parisyan tshirt online when I was in high school but had to flip it inside out when I got to school because the entire front design was Shirtless Karo

I remember Karo getting a fight overturned because he was on too many painkillers and screaming 'no' very loudly after waking up from being knocked out.

Lid posted:

Bendo's entire career could fit here given before he was champion he was one if the most beloved fighters here, won the belt in very iffy circumstances, all but one of his defences were extremely iffy decisions, with the crowd booing him decided to spend an entire post fight denying a tooth pick existed, proposed in the ring to the loudest boos you have ever heard... and then just fell apart after Pettis choked him to death so suddenly the fams didnt even react because it was so sudden they didnt know the fight was over.

What a strange career.

He's a dude who I've watched...a couple of dozen fights of over the years and I couldn't tell you a drat thing about his style. He was not terrible at anything and not especially good at anything. He got by on being strong, tough, and not having any real weaknesses. His first fight with Frankie was really loving good and his first title fight against Cowboy in the WEC was loving nuts.

Brut posted:

There was a Ninja Rua along with Shogun Rua? lol.

There's also a third brother nicknamed Shaolin. He doesn't fight, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Was thinking about Hector Lombard today. After being undefeated for a long, long time he went on a skid that lasted I think 6 years.

I met him briefly at a fan event. I can confirm that he's got a loving gigantic head. Like, just physicially.

I can also confirm Soa Paleilei is really nice.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

he's maybe too famous for this thread but going through some old boxing reminded me of the legendary boxing feud between Andrew Golota and Riddick Bowe's testicles.

it's too bad this was pre-fight forums, because a big Polish lump destroying the reigning Heavyweight champion before getting DQed because he literally was not able to prevent himself* from punching him repeatedly in the balls, twice in a row, would have made him the ultimate online cult hero fighter ever

*as far as anyone can figure, there was no explanation for why he did this except that he literally could not stop his fighting instinct to punch people in the balls. after the second DQ he even does a hands-on-head "why did I do that" thing

It also lead to a riot. I Can't remember if that was the first or second time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

In addition that male nurse was like twice his size and actually a nice person and it helped sement that Koscheck was a doufus jerk when he went like "waaaah" with his tongue out talking about how he and his team would own the season, but then they lost hard as did Koscheck.

Also when he got the first pick who wound up being a bust (lost in the opening round of the tournament) but Koscheck really thought he was the best guy because GSP tricked him in the most blatantly obvious way.

It was better than that. He genuinely wanted that guy. He looked excellent on paper and koscheck knew him either from his wrestling days or from his early fights. GSP, who didn't have first pick, wrote the guys name down on a piece of paper marked 'my definitely real picks, signed gsp, ps. if you're reading these, these are real, josh koscheck' and left it next to josh. Josh saw the piece of paper, concluded it was real, wasted his first pick on a guy GSP didn't want, GSP picked who he wanted (Michael Johnson if memory serves) followed by a smash cut to GSP raising the roof. It was a top tier moment.

Since we're remembering people, Koscheck was pretty drat good at playing the heel. He was a confident but stupid and inarticulate bully who also had the good grace to lose fights in funny, memorable ways. Also, GSP broke his face so bad he couldn't fly for like a year at least, maybe longer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Anyone remember Luiz Cane? Pretty respectable early run in the UFC: two wins by knockout, a decision win over Steve Cantwell (who deserves his own post, but not for being good) and only a DQ loss. Then he ran into Little Nog, who knocked him out in two minutes and broke something in Cane's brain. He developed a Brock esque aversion to being hit. It climaxed at UFC 134. This was the first Brazil card in a couple of decades and whoo boy did they make sure Brazilians had plenty to cheer. Except Cane hosed that up. He was booked to fight Stanislav Nedkov, who may or may not have moonlighted as an enforcer for the Bulgarian mafia. Cane came out and looked okay to start with before Nedkov found his chin and Cane's brain broke again. He tried to run away, briefly running up the fence like an Anthony Pettis hell bent on escape as Nedkov pursued him and finished him off. It was the only fight of the night without a Brazilian winner and allowed us to discover the Brazilian silence. When a Brazilian loses to a non-Brazilian in Brazil, the crowd tends not to boo. They fall silent. Completely silent. They won't boo, that would be rude, but they're sure as poo poo not applauding, and so we were introduced to the sound of 14,000 people abruptly falling silent and folding their arms in a dissatisfied way.