Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My Naruto book club recently reminded me that Baruto Kaito exists.

And now looks like Will Sasso's screen double.

Baruto posted:

Interestingly, one of the toughest challenges Baruto faced was the chonmage — the traditional topknot which, in sumo, all wrestlers wear their hair in.

“When you enter a sumo stable, you have to grow your hair out. But Europeans have very different hair than Japanese people. Softer, thinner. So when I had my hair done in a chonmage, it used to fall down the side of my head in thin strands. And so, because I couldn’t get a good topknot going, I had to use hair extensions. No, really, I used to wear a wig to get my sumo hairstyle. I think other foreign sumo wrestlers had this problem, too.”

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

CommonShore posted:

Remember Cezar "Mewtanch" Ferreira?

I've seen him fight recently. He's in the PFL LHW semifinals this season, with a 0:37 KO of Nick Roehrick giving him enough points to make up for the UD loss to Camozzi.

I remember the Camozzi fight, because it reminded me how much fun "Mutante" is to say aloud.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
If I remember right, he was planning on starting it up in earnest after his trip out into the desert.

The saddest part is that he said ahead of time, this isn't an Into the Wild thing, he totes knows the pitfalls and he totes prepared for them.

And then he hiked 5 miles to the water source on his map, only to find it had dried up :smith:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Snowman_McK posted:

I can also confirm Soa Paleilei is really nice.

I've shared this elsewhere on the forums, but the Eddie Sanchez vs Soa Paleilei fight was so bad and boring that the host and his step daughter, who was my co-worker, got into a rapidly escalating verbal fight that led us to all leave in the middle of the card. This was before sports bars in my area held fights, and streaming was a twinkle in some Goog engineer's eye, so we ended up driving to someone else's house and refreshing a live blog to get fight results.

Trying to remember who Eddie Sanchez hung out with...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
While talking about the :filez: download where you can get a whole compilation of leg kick TKOs in MMA, Boco_T reminded me that Paul "The Polar Bear" Varelans existed. At which point we also discovered that he's the guy from the "blow jobber" story.

quote:

On June 22, 1996, at ECW's Hardcore Heaven event, Paul Varelans faced and was choked out by ECW star Taz, in what was promoted as a "shoot fight". Although the event was promoted as a legitimate shoot fight, Varelans agreed beforehand to lose via submission. In her 2001 autobiography Missy Hyatt, First Lady of Wrestling, Missy Hyatt claims that Varelans agreed to lose if she performed fellatio on him afterwards, but Hyatt refused saying that she did not "blow jobbers". Subsequently, Varelans allegedly became irrational and destroyed the locker room. He preceded this with two house show matches, defeating Jason Helton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

kimbo305 posted:

Remember King Mo Lawal? I think he was one of the wave of late 2000s "whoa, this guy's really good at wrestling and is gonna train MMA [with DC] way more seriously than Mark Hammer!"

When King Mo was still undefeated, I clipped a pull quote from a magazine where he said, “I’ll never give up. You’ll have to kill me first,” and I double sided taped that to the side of my printer in my studio as inspiration.

Never really was that big a fan of the dude personally, but it was a good bit of inspiration :unsmith: