Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

Where are the great MMA svengalis of yesteryear?

Tim Catalfo the guy who bravely ripped off WCW's goldberg with his nickname of "Obake" earned in the Japanese fighting underground as a master of small joint manipulation?

Anyway, these were guys. Let us remember them.

I missed this at the time but the best part of the Tim Catalfo story isn't even his fighting, it's what came after:

quote:

Catalfo returned to Florida for one more regional win in 2003 before retiring at 4-2--already 44, with his chance at the big leagues gone, it was time to turn in and enjoy a nice, quiet life of teaching and financial success across his multiple business ventures.

Or it would've been for most people. For Tim Catalfo, it was time to gradually torpedo all of them by getting arrested in 2005 for randomly stealing a limo-bus with a bunch of people on it, ramming it into several cars and running away from the scene of the crime, following it up by getting brought up on labor laws violations in 2007 for not paying his construction workers overtime, and pulling it all together by getting slapped for insurance fraud in 2008 after he and his co-partner allegedly torched the kitchen of the Wakey Wakey Eggs and Bakey they owned.

never stop grifting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The blank spot is Josh Rafferty, who got choked out by Diego and knocked out by Karalexis in like a minute each

edit: and yes, lobmob is correct, the top dude with the weird head was Lodune Sincaid

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

You're thinking of Lugz model No. 2, Houston Alexander.

Was put on UFC 78 as a hype fight to elevate Keith Jardine, instead uppercutted him to death in a minute and got the "HOUSTON ALEXANDER IS FOR REAL" proclamation from Joe Rogan for murdering Alessio Sakara a few months later and then proceeded to never win a UFC fight again, lose a gas-out decision to Kimbo Slice and eventually retire at 17-16-1 (2).

Also he did one of those completely stupid sports science things where they injected him with epinephrine and he punched a dummy while crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSJSB9W1iM

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lid posted:

Who was the TUF guy who ended up with the entire city if Bali trying to arrest him after he glassed a mobster?

You're thinking of Junie Browning.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

David Loiseau was actually extremely close to being champion. He got his shot at Rich Franklin when Franklin was the top dog, and while the fight is remembered for the career-defining beating Franklin put on him, three rounds into said beating Loiseau was still capable of dropping the world champion on his rear end.

But he was never quite the same after the confidence-destroying experience of that fight, and then Anderson Silva showed up and basically every pre-2006 middleweight abruptly seemed ancient by comparison.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lid posted:

Tony Bonello

was going to link his wikipedia but they wised up and delted it (also he spent most of his time editing it himself)

notoriously the only guy to lose to the bull on Bully Beatdown

his wiki accomplishments were about a dozen silver medals in BJJ tournaments, but when checking the sources he was secon in a weight class of only two entrants every time.

The canonical Tony Bonello career recap:

https://twitter.com/grabaka_hitman/status/1030690392205918208

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, Ninja was the first Rua brother in MMA and he was actually pretty good, enough so that at one point he arguably beat Rampage in his prime, but he was an undersized dude who in a better place and time in the sport would've been fighting at 170, but it was early 2000s Pride, so he was a pudgy 5'11" dude who needed actual brain surgery to recover from getting battered by heavyweights, and then instead of retiring after his combat-induced brain surgery he decided to fight for almost another decade.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

How DO you get the moon off you?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

The only song with fighters I will ever need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8gPYZ2P31o

Can't imagine how much it burned Pat Miletich inside to be rapping.

You know, Jazze Pha is not a bad producer. Jazze Pha helped bring the world T.I., Ciara and Birdman. Jazze Pha produced hundreds of songs across more than a decade of constant, inexhaustible work. And then around 2007 he just sort of stopped, suddenly, and went from dozens of songs a year to a handful since. What on Earth could have happ--

Oh.

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I was thinking about this thread the other day, as while driving home I suddenly went "hey, what's Zack Mwekassa up to these days," and then it took me ten minutes to figure out what I even remembered Zack Mwekassa from.