Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

I spent all my money on a bolter but it seems almost impossible to keep it fed, unlike my autogun which it was impossible to run out of ammo for.

True to the source material. Ammo checks for an autogun passed on a 4+ using a D6. Bolters needed 6+ and ran out of ammo all the time.

Lasguns passed on a 2+. Those things almost never ran dry. But they cost more than autoguns so autoguns it was :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, how are you running out of ammo, the game shits out so much ammo it's pretty much a vestigial mechanic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When running, gunning & strafing with the autogun I found ammo was unlimited. When I tried tactically sniping I found ammo ran low even with the stubber. Tactical bad, blood fury good.

That being said I haven't played enough for the bolter yet. Maybe this weekend.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, how are you running out of ammo, the game shits out so much ammo it's pretty much a vestigial mechanic

That's what I thought with the Striker! But then I grabbed a bolter and I'm constantly running low.

My 'tactics' such as they can be called involve running screaming at my opponent firing full auto. The more I bathe in their blood the better my autosanguine implant works.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

The bolter seems to have a much lower ammo maximum and ammo recovery gain per box than autoguns. IIRC it caps out at around 160 shots total and gets about a magazine perbox, while an autogun gets something like twice as much each.

That's also why I'll always bring a sawn-off shotgun with the hunter shells. Comfortably one-shots regular enemies at most ranges, while the 400+ ammo reserve makes it practically impossible to run dry.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I also do the full screaming assault tactic but I mean more like, every other enemy seems to drop an ammo box anyway. Hence the vestigial mechanic comment.

It's particularly egregious with the grenade launcher, it takes one or two grenades to kill an entire wave and I can stock up to a hundred bombs? Lmao

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just walk up to people and instakill them with your ninja-clown-rear end-looking melee

*Puts my enemy in a headlock and completely misses their head with my pistol shot but they still explode*

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Lone Badger posted:

I spent all my money on a bolter but it seems almost impossible to keep it fed, unlike my autogun which it was impossible to run out of ammo for.

Make sure you put the big ol' mag on it, ammo box refill amount seems to be based on how many a mag holds when full. Also it's not like you're ADS with a bolter, right?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I played the very first level only and got all of one chest, the one that teaches you how to open chests, and I even looked around a good bit trying to find other ones but nothing. I assume you can go back and do whatever missions you want again to pick them up?

So far it seems fun although it can be tough with the controller. Trick shots in particular are hard because you're using the same thumb to initiate the special move (wallrun, for example) and aim.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just walk up to people and instakill them with your ninja-clown-rear end-looking melee

*Puts my enemy in a headlock and completely misses their head with my pistol shot but they still explode*

Several times I had an issue where I suppose I didn't press x quickly enough or something and actually got TOO close to use melee and kinda had to seesaw back and forth trying to get the prompt to come up again lol. All while getting shot, of course

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can you actually get gun or armor drops from enemies or just the little trinkets?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can get white armor. Good stuff only drops from chests

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chests are a lie, a heretical plot to foster false expectations. Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Play posted:

I played the very first level only and got all of one chest, the one that teaches you how to open chests, and I even looked around a good bit trying to find other ones but nothing. I assume you can go back and do whatever missions you want again to pick them up?
First level is the most difficult to find chests on, you don't have any tools to help you. Between the auger and the grappling hook, finding chests because much easier after a few levels. One thing to watch out for is the high-pitched ringing tone that chests emit, which carries pretty far and will tell you that you are close.

Also, developer update (bolding original):

Second Community Update posted:

Hi everyone,

We’ve been having a blast seeing all of you shoot your way through the mad sprawl of Necromunda since Hired Gun launched yesterday! Thank you all so much for playing, for your support, and for your feedback and bug reports. These are invaluable to us as we work on our first patches.

Getting here has been an incredibly exciting journey. We may be a small team but we made our game LOUD. The team are all delighted to hear that our efforts to create fun, impactful gunplay has been appreciated. We’re super passionate about Warhammer 40k and it feels absolutely wonderful to hear how many of you say we’ve gotten the universe’s sound, look, and aesthetic right. Thank you!

Tomorrow the Warhammer Skulls event kicks off, bringing massive deals across the Warhammer franchise. Hired Gun will of course join in on the fun, with a 15% discount until June 10. We will also be adding a Corsair skin set (male and female), and new knife skin in celebration of this event, available for free to everyone.

What are we working on?

With that said, we’re aware of several technical issues that need to be resolved. We want to assure you we’re working our hardest to fix these as soon as possible. Please read on for more details about what exactly we’re working on and prioritizing.

1. Gamepad controls on PC: The aim assist is currently not working as it should, and there are issues with the sensitivity settings. We’re already finding fixes to these issues and should have these fixed for you in our first update.
2. Performance and stuttering: We’ve seen your reports on this issue, including from higher end PCs. While this is definitely a priority for us, fixing this may come gradually across more than one update, since it is an unexpected and complex problem to solve.
3. Crashes: We’ve already identified and fixed a number of issues, and are doing our best to get these into an update soon. More fixes on this front will follow.
4. Sound Mixing: We’ve identified a fix, though it’s proving a time-consuming process. That said, we have already made improvements for our next update.

Here is the full list of fixes that will arrive in our first update:
  • A large number of crash fixes (Create/load saves, etc.)
  • Dialogue sound mixing improvements (global VO volume increased)
  • Added missing sound FXs in levels
  • Takedown tutorial bug fix which caused you to get stuck
  • Gamma settings screen game freeze
  • A fix for the 'Who needs weapons' achievement
  • Fixes for animations in some cutscenes
  • Aiming down sights: incorrect aiming fixed
  • FOV bug when aiming down sights
Additional issues that we are currently working on. They have not been fixed at the time of writing, but some improvements listed below may still make it into this early patch.
  • Gamepad: Aim Assist system fixed
  • Sensitivity and dead zone settings (bug fix)
  • Stutters (enemy spawns, LODs, loot management, asynchronous loading)
  • Dialogue sound mixing in cutscenes (fine tuning)
  • Various fixes on enemy AIs
We don’t have an exact ETA on when the update will arrive yet, but it will be as soon as possible and we will keep you informed.

Thank you all for playing Necromunda: Hired Gun! Keep your eye out for more updates from us as we work on further patches.

- The Streum On and Focus Home Teams

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm disappointed that the game is thin on story. I liked Inquisitor: Martyr because, as pedestrian as the gameplay was, the writing was actually pretty good, on par with the better WH40K novels. I don't feel like I'm playing a WH40K game.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

*waves knife a full foot above your head, causing instant death*

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I'm seconding the idea that the plasma rifle modifications are broken in some way. I don't think the blast radius mode is working at all, for example. Apart from that, the plasma gun's projectile being obnoxiously huge sucks, you can't see poo poo with the spam and it'd be more tolerable if only it actually did splash damage with the mod.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I am convinced that the best gun in most situations is the AK looking autogun

the LMG thing (tempest something?) maxed with RPM/DMG mods is super OP in certain situations (used like a shotgun or with autoaim power to get it hitting at range)

the plasma and grav guns are unusable cause you cant see poo poo

the pistol slot shotgun (epitaph) is interesting because you can put a sniper mod on it that jacks it up to 230+ dmg a hit

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ok I beat the game with 7 hours played

1) It really needs more enemy and weapon variety which will hopefully come in DLC - what's there is good, but I don't know if there's enough variety to keep me playing from here. I'm not familiar with the Necromunda setting but it seems like the kind of place where weird alien tech would show up, so why's it all just human guns, and why are genestealers the only 'weird' or out of place enemy
2) It seems like all the weapons can be good if you mod them? I ended up looking into weapon modding because I didn't previously realize there were more mods you could add if you scrolled down, and being able to significantly up the ammo count/damage on things helped a lot
3) The regenerating health mechanic is great but it's tuned in a weird way that lead to me just face tanking bosses with a heavy weapon - this may not be possible on higher difficulties but on Normal I beat the entire game by literally standing in everything's face until it died.
4) There's a lot of visual clutter - many guns block significant screen area - the heavy bolter mod that increases damage by strapping a shield to the barrel literally takes up like half the available screen space. When fighting the wizard ladies my screen would always be full of fire or electricity which I just shot into and knew I was hitting them. It makes it hard to keep track of what's going on sometimes. It's not at all uncommon for guns to take up most of the rightmost 1/3 of the screen and even just the normal Bolter blocks almost your entire view while reloading.
5) All that being said the shooting was fun and satisfying, the guns are great at feeling like you're actually shooting something, there's a ton of mobility, the environmental scale is impressive and it reminded me a lot of a less-experimental/ambitious, more mainstream EYE.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 3, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The gravgun is fire and forget, thankfully. The projectile will home in on targets, pop and destroy the unlucky bastard it hits, and then the freaky gravity anomaly will stay a bit and then explode on anything dumb enough to remain nearby.

The plasma gun is a mystery though; I swear the current projectile it uses is actually the overcharged version despite doing standard damage, hence the ridiculous visual clutter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay finished the story. This game was.... okay. Just too much jank and other issues that will hopefully be fixed. The random missions also start to repeat very quickly, and are just based on already existing story missions and layouts, but at least they are fast.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What does levelling up do?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ever since the review mentioned them, the 20th century tactacool rails on the 40k guns are really sticking out to me.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

beat the game. had a great time. absolutely no clue what was happening but luckily 70% of the plot occurs in the final two cutscenes.

has there been any coverage of the development of this game? i remember seeing rumors streum were making an imperial assassin game like a year before this was announced. It really feels like they had a much more ambitious hibrid looter shooter/immersive sim thing going that they ended up pairing back. I'm really excited to see what they do with it next.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, the game is solid but some of these fights are poo poo on Hard considering how sudden your health can drop thanks to hitscan enemies/high damage spam, how inscrutable breaking elite enemy shields can be at times, and how rough it is to sustain your health because there's no health drops/pick-ups and the implementations of the Bloodborne rally/Doom glory kill recovery systems are spotty as all hell. I still enjoyed most of my time with it though, even if I turned down to Normal for the very final boss fight because lmao that was some serious health inflation between the two difficulties.

I'll go back and get A-ranks on everything once this is patched properly I guess, and would love to see the direction they take moving forward. Way more content would be nice (more variants per weapon type like how there's two autogun and stubber versions), because I think they've absolutely nailed the grandiosity of 40k and the griminess of Necromunda with this game, along with the feel of the combat if not the polish. If anything, this game helped remind me of just how incredible Doom Eternal was and how much polish they put into that thing, because this game certainly feels like an attempt at it without the extra time and budget the id team had to get to make their game truly work.

Also the story, well, I think it was definitely for Necromunda fans and pointedly not just 40k fans, because I've been a 40k dude for a long time and had no idea what the story was about or who this Jerico dude is.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Jerico is a hive noble who ran away to be a cool swashbuckling underhive adventurer. He was in a bunch of comics that are mostly just extremely straightforward action so he's not really a very complex character but he's pretty much the only one they could've used

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm on mission 4 at the moment

Positives:
- Gunplay is solid

- Level design is varied and solid

- Lots of fun 40K things to nerd out about, mostly expressed through the environment

Negatives:
- Super wonky glory kills

- Really bad audio mixing. Thank god for the subtitles

- It seems the devs did everything they could to not have to show animations. I just did a mission where my character was doing some speech and the camera just lingered on my back with my face completely obscured. Just weird presentation in general.

- The A.I breaks a lot in my game, more-so in the side missions than the main missions though

- The damage is super wonky in the game. You can kill 100 mooks and barely take damage and then suddenly some guy shows up who shaves your entire healthbar off in 2 seconds

- I am several hours into the game but I'm not sure what the story is. A job went bad in the beginning and now it seems i'm single handedly wiping out every gang in the hive, for reasons

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 3, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

- I am several hours into the game but I'm not sure what the story is. A job went bad in the beginning and now it seems i'm single handedly wiping out every gang in the hive, for reasons

As far as I can tell the bartender is using me to wipe out her enemies. She tells me that maybe there's some info at <PLACE>, I go there and kill everybody, there is no info, she tells me "hmm well maybe you should try <PLACE2>" rinse repeat.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

As far as I can tell the bartender is using me to wipe out her enemies. She tells me that maybe there's some info at <PLACE>, I go there and kill everybody, there is no info, she tells me "hmm well maybe you should try <PLACE2>" rinse repeat.

In the context of EYE this sounds about right

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Welp, kinda good and kinda bummerific to read about stuttering being a known issue, because I definitely have it bad in parts where the game is streaming in more stuff. But it also means it won't be getting fixed any time soon.

Ryzen 5600X, 32 gigs of RAM and an RTX 3080 so I should definitely be good, especially since the game is running off a very fast NVMe drive. But I still get constant almost pauses when enemies spawn, when I move the camera too fast etc.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Welp, kinda good and kinda bummerific to read about stuttering being a known issue, because I definitely have it bad in parts where the game is streaming in more stuff. But it also means it won't be getting fixed any time soon.

Ryzen 5600X, 32 gigs of RAM and an RTX 3080 so I should definitely be good, especially since the game is running off a very fast NVMe drive. But I still get constant almost pauses when enemies spawn, when I move the camera too fast etc.

I'm on a very similar but weaker computer (ryxen 5600x, 16 gigs of ram and an RTX 3070) and I get very minor stuttering. It sounds like it may be caused by something other than hardware. I also have it installed to a SSD

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 3, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The game is straight up crashing for me. Was doing the first train level side quest and it just cased twice in a row

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I was really worried about the stuttering initially (because its pretty loving bad) but after the first mission, it goes away for me after playing for a bit... in less than a minute I'd say.

Only had one crash, after changing graphics settings so maybe Im lucky.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Flannelette posted:

Ever since the review mentioned them, the 20th century tactacool rails on the 40k guns are really sticking out to me.

there is existing 40k art with the tactacool rails, especially on the bounty hunter customs gun end of things, but it is weird. i would prefer it to all be smooth but i guess it makes some kinda sense that guns sold to individuals would support more customisation than like military issue stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm on a very similar but weaker computer (ryxen 5600x, 16 gigs of ram and an RTX 3070) and I get very minor stuttering. It sounds like it may be caused by something other than hardware. I also have it installed to a SSD

I’ve got basically no stuttering on a 3060ti. I wonder if there’s something where the faster your GPU the worse the stuttering is.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve got basically no stuttering on a 3060ti. I wonder if there’s something where the faster your GPU the worse the stuttering is.

I've got a 3080 and a 3600 and it runs fine for me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone figured out the most demanding graphics settings by chance? I need good FPS to get that real Doom rhythm in, but I'm not gonna sacrifice too much in terms visuals.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Nothing makes you feel geriatric like playing a twitch based shooter and being absolutely horrible at it. Just unlocked B-missions, and have failed every single one.

Question about the missions, I noticed the defense one was waved based, while the other seem to be endless mobs spawning until you complete the objective. Am I wrong, or do the mobs just never stop spawning?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DropTheAnvil posted:

Nothing makes you feel geriatric like playing a twitch based shooter and being absolutely horrible at it. Just unlocked B-missions, and have failed every single one.

Question about the missions, I noticed the defense one was waved based, while the other seem to be endless mobs spawning until you complete the objective. Am I wrong, or do the mobs just never stop spawning?

Yeah, as I can tell they do keep spawning in, but its kind of necessary since the side missions are sub-sections of the main levels - however they don't generally spawn in right on top of you, so you're generally able to clear out your local area and get some breathing room if you want it (and a steam of new mobs generally isn't a huge issue given how momentum-based your health/survivability is)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mobs never stop spawning except for defense missions. If you want piss-easy missions to farm money, go do the one that has you destroying ventilation or collecting bodies, and rush the objectives. If you hate yourself, do capture missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also, if you arent shooting, you should be sliding, wall running, jumping, etc. Any reload where you arent taking evasive maneuvers is usually the time when your health drops from full to almost nothing