Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm glad, I'm sure it isn't but this feels like it's been the biggest gap between a season ending and a new one starting we've had for awhile. Taskmaster cheers me up a fair bit.

First break we didn’t have an NZ or AUS that at least partially crossed over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

"I bet you’ve got a barbecue" is the best, because it's chaos however you read it in any voice under any situation. It works for someone who doesn't know the quote.
And for someone who does it's heightened a lot. Talk up to your audience, not down

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

"I bet you’ve got a barbecue" is the best, because it's chaos however you read it in any voice under any situation. It works for someone who doesn't know the quote.
And for someone who does it's heightened a lot. Talk up to your audience, not down

That whole task was great Julian. Even his last words "Well I was roused, by then" as a reply to Alex revealing he'd said Alex had the charisma of Matt Hancock afterwards.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I started watching The Completely Made up Adventures of Dick Turpin on AppleTV starring Noel Fielding, and who should show up as the leader of the Hellhounds, the most feared gang in the country, in the second episode?

Our Taskmaster!!!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The trailer has arrived
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3WVJ5HljVc

Quasi-spoiler: There's a shot of a fence panel with a bunch of gloves stuck through it. I seem to recall Rebecca Lucy Taylor (Self Esteem) described a task like this when she was the guest on the Taskmaster Podcast - one that didn't make it into the New Years Treat. She ventured that the resulting footage must have been too lewd and degrading to broadcast, but apparently it could be reworked...

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't know these people, but Dracula is going to be right up there with Spaghetti Western Gunslinger as far as costumes go.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dracula, Freddie Mercury, cheap tuxedo, and some jumpsuits.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Voting for "How we laughed" but equally pleased with the charisma quote.

Qrs Tuvwxyz is a good option just because it would make people scrolling past the thread do a double take, though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

oh jay posted:

I don't know these people, but Dracula is going to be right up there with Spaghetti Western Gunslinger as far as costumes go.

"Dracula" is Nick Mohammed (Nate from Ted Lasso)

Oh and +1 for "I bet you've got a barbecue"

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Junkenstein posted:

Any news on a new Aus or NZ season?

I'm now hearing that it's going to be 24th April, to coincide with Masterchef. I'm sure there's a clever portmanteau they can use in the promos. Guess we can add Aus S2 to the title and keep it current for a few more weeks.

Speaking of, Barbecue vs Charisma is at 6 all by my tally, "how we laughed" still running the outside with 4 votes. Lets see what postal votes come in over the weekend.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

I don't know these people,

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/Yz0EL5u.mp4

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Milk not over the microwaves. Nil point

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Extended out-takes from S5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGeH1vt--M

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A food that nearly killed Alex right off the jump.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Ooooooouuuu

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bob seeing a camera and thinking he's on WILTY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If you’re in NYC:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I'm intrigued to know why they're both in New York at the same time. I can't see Greg going over for another US version.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

The_Doctor posted:

If you’re in NYC:

Devastated to be arriving in NYC 12 hours after this :argh:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I'm intrigued to know why they're both in New York at the same time. I can't see Greg going over for another US version.

US didn't work with just Alex, so maybe with Alex and Greg.

Then when that doesn't work they'll ship over a bunch of English contestants too.

They'll crack this! Eventually!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I saw James Acaster on Seth Rogan Late Nite show and it was painful watching him have to explain one of his jokes to Seth. Especially since I think they rehearse or at least plan these things.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I saw James Acaster on Seth Rogan Late Nite show and it was painful watching him have to explain one of his jokes to Seth. Especially since I think they rehearse or at least plan these things.

Seth Myers?
I'm pretty sure Acaster explaining his joke is a bit. I've seen him do it before on American shows

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Yeah definitely Seth Myers. It was a good guest spot, and yeah, I think that's his schtick. He seems to do well over there.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The_Doctor posted:

If you’re in NYC:

I’m in nyc and just checked but it’s sold out, I’m so sad. No waitlist either 😭

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

thehustler posted:

Yeah definitely Seth Myers. It was a good guest spot, and yeah, I think that's his schtick. He seems to do well over there.

To my surprise, he's in the new Ghostbusters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Snowy posted:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Snowy posted:

gently caress, lol

I'm in the same boat snowy, wanna try to ride standby?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

Seth Myers?
I'm pretty sure Acaster explaining his joke is a bit. I've seen him do it before on American shows

Yeah sorry Seth Meyers. To be clear he was still funny, it's just he is funnier than the environment he was in which has a low ceiling of comedy. And the explanation I'm thinking of wasn't the bit, Seth misunderstood the joke (it kind of worked how Seth meant it) and James pointed out the intended joke. Either way it effectively communicated to me he is on tour and that I would like to see it, but can't because I'm not going to LA or NY.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingexecutive posted:

gently caress, lol

I'm seriously considering trying it haha. It's a weird choice of venue, it's like...150 seats max, if it's the club I'm thinking of. And not really laid out for the audience to watch a screen.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boxturret posted:

US didn't work with just Alex, so maybe with Alex and Greg.

Then when that doesn't work they'll ship over a bunch of English contestants too.

They'll crack this! Eventually!

Buckle up Brits, we're doing the Taskmaster US conversation again. :getin:

Paul Williams is just as good as Alex imo; I don't think he's intrinsic to the show as a performer, but definitely as a producer. His dynamic with Watts was so weird and forced, probably because Viacom didn't understand what made Taskmaster work. It seems like he was there to add credibility to the format (like Weakest Link or American Idol), where I don't think most Americans really care about the origin, just that the comedy is good (like Whose Line).

I think they can come into a much stronger bargaining position wrt creative control over cast selection and format now that millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of Americans watch TM Prime.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Auckland comedy festival has a whole category for taskmaster comedians. Guy Williams show name might be the best thing he's ever done, while Fern Brady's poster is maybe not the best thing she's ever done.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

"I'm off to find a Robin"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

gently caress, lol

That’s what I’ve been thinking today, that I’d go there straight from work if I get out early enough. It’s a long shot but gently caress it, doesn’t seem like something that’ll come up again. It would be cool to meet up but I can’t say for sure that I’m going until Monday. I’ll PM you then.

:lmao: I would love to actually crash it if possible.

Maybe if I print out that task and wear a silly jumpsuit they’d have to let me in.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

I think they can come into a much stronger bargaining position wrt creative control over cast selection and format now that millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of Americans watch TM Prime.

Yeah this has been my hope. I think another run at a US series is inevitable, and I'm just really hoping they have the leverage now to give Alex a lot of creative control.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Jaguars! posted:

The Auckland comedy festival has a whole category for taskmaster comedians. Guy Williams show name might be the best thing he's ever done, while Fern Brady's poster is maybe not the best thing she's ever done.

Had to google the poster and it's not a bad one. It's a version of an actual religious painting which depicts a miracle (an abbot was praying in front of a painting of a breastfeeding Virgin Mary who then squeezed her breast to shoot milk in the abbot's mouth) which Brady has said she's obsessed with.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Taskmaster AU series 2 hasn’t even aired yet but they’ve started filming the studio bits for S3. Pretty good lineup!

Anne Edmonds
Jenny Tian
Josh Thomas
Lloyd Langford
Wil Anderson

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

First of the contestant interviews is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWLOi1AN4gg

It's so much better that they come out in the build-up to the series than during the first few weeks.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 21, 2024

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Heavy_D posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWLOi1AN4gg&t=327s

It's so much better that they come out in the build-up to the series than during the first few weeks.

Oh, Alex, Alex... Why are you doing this to yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Heavy_D posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWLOi1AN4gg&t=327s

Cool and thanks, but also that timestamp is not super useful. :P