Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Pablo Bluth posted:

As someone who bemoans the half arsed prize task effort that plagues UKTM, compared to say Kongen Befaler, I appreciate the effort that Pemberton is putting in.

I liked it when the prize task was a prop comedy/lateral thinking game, but it feels like, because they know they aren't actually losing anything in playing, they are just going with whatever the production house can afford as a prop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I just received a ticket notification for a new season of Taskmaster filming in May. This time I'm gonna actually try to attend. Wish me luck!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Superrodan posted:

I just received a ticket notification for a new season of Taskmaster filming in May. This time I'm gonna actually try to attend. Wish me luck!

Good luck. I've been to three tapings but only one since it moved to channel 4. Definitely used to be easier

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I'd love to go, but the idea of travelling four hours in each direction only to possibly not get in just doesn't seem worth it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
First set of S17 outtakes already! Only two episodes in, I wonder how much extra footage they have from this series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu_d2MrEX0s

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Tonights episode is the one I was in the audience for. I've forgotten most of it lol. Sophie gets a redemption arc I remember that much, does way better on one task than expected. Should be a good ep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

First set of S17 outtakes already! Only two episodes in, I wonder how much extra footage they have from this series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu_d2MrEX0s

Dr. Cool Aids, congratulations on winning that Infinity Gauntlet.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Dr. Cool Aids, congratulations on winning that Infinity Gauntlet.

that guy was sat right next to my partner so you're not far off

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Superrodan posted:

Huh, I didn’t, and I’m signed up with them too. :argh:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

that guy was sat right next to my partner so you're not far off

Did you ever find out how long he's been playing golf?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, I didn’t, and I’m signed up with them too. :argh:

Well, I looked on reddit and it seems they sent out the ticket notification three or four days after they actually appeared on the site. I signed up for three shows and haven't gotten a ticket yet while the people who knew before the emails out have already started getting theirs. Luckily I was a bit smart about it and booked a place to stay that has free cancellation but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to use it. Oh well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not much of an episode yesterday, the high point probably being Steve's take on the last task (and the final flourish of that). I'm generally disappointed by the lack of variety of approaches in this season, John seems to be the only one who even tries to think outside the box.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The tension task was a lot of fun, but yeah otherwise there wasn't much to write home about.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I'm warming more to all the contestants now, except for John Robbins. He seems a nice enough guy but has the try-hardness of a Gamble or Herring. Which is okay, but going for winning over entertaining is a bit dull. For exploiting a loophole I much preferred Steve's replenishing the baby with formula to John's taking the baby carrier off. I guess it's the problem of having watched the show and looking for loopholes and being pedantic/competitive - the fine line between coming across as Iain Stirling compared to Ardal O'Hanlon, though that's also down to the editing too.

I liked the tension task evn if it felt tailor-made for Steve, and enjoyed Joanne's take on it. Any task which allows contestants to torture or humiliate Alex tend to be entertaining.

The 'Who's following you?' task felt just like a convoluted game of 20 questions, albeit a little more visually entertaining - Dracula in Gilead was a treat. Maybe it would have been better as a team task, with someone piloting/selecting animals following the other one around a maze or something?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The mysterious stranger task was a bit of a let down, especially considering who the stranger was. It would have worked better as one of those really hard tasks where it's easy to have a contestant struggle with it for an hour getting more and more desperate. Maybe don't tell them what each response means and let them figure it out? The password task from the AU version is a good example.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That or the driving school task from 16, that was sheer genius.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paladinus posted:

The mysterious stranger task was a bit of a let down, especially considering who the stranger was. It would have worked better as one of those really hard tasks where it's easy to have a contestant struggle with it for an hour getting more and more desperate. Maybe don't tell them what each response means and let them figure it out? The password task from the AU version is a good example.

It would've been better if it was an actual person too. It seems like the sort of thing they might have gotten Richard Osman in for in early seasons. They wouldn't have had to speak.

Or at least a person in an actual Blobby suit would've been better.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

maybe spoiled from recent excellent seasons, but i have not gelled with this cast nearly as much.

feels older even though i think technically it might be slightly younger than average. may just be the fact that they've had really fantastic lineups since series 10 so a merely-good one feels lacking

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

stev posted:

It would've been better if it was an actual person too. It seems like the sort of thing they might have gotten Richard Osman in for in early seasons. They wouldn't have had to speak.

If they'd had the actual Mr Blobby behind them it could have been a lot of fun. Although admittedly I haven't seen anything with Blobby since his original actor retired, I'm only assuming the newer guy holds up.

I've enjoyed John myself, having a try-hard in the cast is good for actually getting those out-of-the-box answers on-screen. Having one person think to do something like take off the baby carrier when no one else does is a good balance.
Also I thought the same way as him for the Create Tension task, but it felt like he gave up too easily on actually putting something under an impressive amount of tension. I wonder if the producers told him he couldn't go too far on that for health and safety or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I need to see this group really argue over something quite meaningless I think. That tends to be what makes me go "yeah this lineup is great".

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 12, 2024

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

stev posted:

"Are you Richard Osman?"
"Crested Grebe."
"Oh, you're Al Murray then!"

Tenebrais posted:

I've enjoyed John myself, having a try-hard in the cast is good for actually getting those out-of-the-box answers on-screen. Having one person think to do something like take off the baby carrier when no one else does is a good balance.
Also I thought the same way as him for the Create Tension task, but it felt like he gave up too easily on actually putting something under an impressive amount of tension. I wonder if the producers told him he couldn't go too far on that for health and safety or something.

Yeah, fair point. I also thought of the 'put something under tension' answer too - but all my first thoughts involved suspending someone or something on a fraying rope. so I probably would have run afoul of safety rules too. Maybe a hammer of Damocles hanging over Alex's phone. It was a nice open-ended task.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Joanne was fantastic on the tension task. Absolutely fantastic

eke out posted:

maybe spoiled from recent excellent seasons, but i have not gelled with this cast nearly as much.
Yeah, I agree with this, but the last four seasons have been pretty much my favorite of the whole show so I was kind of expecting a little bit of a lull. Still really enjoying it though!

Wungus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 12, 2024

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
idk why but mr blobby was my first thought, but I discounted it because of the colour of the mass of pixels you see at the beginning

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The others are great but John is awful. It shows that he binged all series before going on as he's is always trying to find a preplanted best solution. Not even thinking outside the box, just second-guessing the tasks based on previous series.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
For the Lucy Beaumont fans I would definitely recommend the Perfect Brains podcast. It is quite interesting hearing Sam Campbell of all people become uncomfortable and confused.

Also her and Jon Richardson have announced their divorce so the little people breeding project has come to an unfortunate end. If only Nick Mohammed wasn’t married.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Wungus posted:

Joanne was fantastic on the tension task. Absolutely fantastic

She was, but Alex also dealt with it better than I expected him to. I think he got more uncomfortable in earlier seasons while in similar circumstances.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He's been subject to on-screen humiliation for eight years now, that's gotta leave some scars.

Anyway, I don't get the hate for John Robbins. Yeah, sure, he's playing to win, but so far the rest of the cast has been pretty tame with how they approach the tasks so having someone try to game them is a much-needed breath of fresh air. Admittedly, I'd probably be a lot harsher on him in a different cast - it's basically the inverse of the Mae Martin situation.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I think it just makes him boring, I'm not finding him entertaining at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He had some good one liners, and I rarely actively dislike any contestants, but there is something about his attitude and delivery that just really doesn't work for me.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Not the best episode, not helped by my wife's intense hatred of Mr Blobby.

Made this though

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Does it have the accurate interior layout?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Does it have an anatomically correct Little Alex Horne?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Does it have the accurate interior layout?

It does not. We've never even seen half the inside of the house, or the back of it, plus it's changed a lot every year. There's even an extra door next to the shed that wasn't there a few years back.

e:

itry posted:

Does it have an anatomically correct Little Alex Horne?

I'm not sure the real one is anatomically correct.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 13, 2024

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

It's pretty incredible how much mileage they've gotten out of such a small area

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Unkempt posted:

It does not. We've never even seen half the inside of the house, or the back of it, plus it's changed a lot every year. There's even an extra door next to the shed that wasn't there a few years back.
I don't think the structure of the house has changed (isn't the door fake? I'm sure it's been shown as such as some point), and it's all been on camera at one point of time. The bathroom made a rare appearance in the disappearing ice task in S1, although these days the door is disguised as a wall/coat rack so I think it's off-limit for task. The little bathroom off the lab was were Lolly hid, while the closet was were Alex did a drive by of Mel's boobs. The production office was shown on the Ed & James Celebrity Hunted. The dressing room has been glimpsed a few times.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I wonder what those two are at the back right corner?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Looking at that map it's so logical but until now my brain totally placed both the kitchen and the lab in the exact same place, which is where the shed is on that image. :laffo:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

thehustler posted:

I wonder what those two are at the back right corner?
Storage units.

I've just found this on reddit, that shows the garden was larger until circa 2010, which seems a shame as I'm sure the extra space would have opened up lot of possibilities over time.
https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/s99yi9/the_taskmaster_house_over_time/

edit: the floorplan posted by unkempt, comes from here which has a comprehensive collection of screenshots of different areas over time. There's a lot of stuff you forget, like the corner behind the lab was open until after s5.
https://twitter.com/anigel24/status/1695446199241699460

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 13, 2024

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Ok last time I'm going to mention him but John is easily my least favourite TM contestant of all time. Boring tryhard, if he wins I'm not watching CoC. I'm going to finally watch S15 just to make sure [that John is the worst] - didn't bother at the time because I very much dislike Jenny Eclair (I'm not hot on Frankie Boyle these days either tbf) and ppl in this thread didn't seem enthused about that series anyway.

Of people who could actually win, I want it to be Steve. My favourites are Sophie and Nick, bless 'em. I'm now also very pro-Joanne after the tension task and the fact she is not John loving Robins.

Agree that the Blobby task was pretty weak. Without wanting to be fair to John at all, why didn't the baby task also say they had to keep the carrier on.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

The production office was shown on the Ed & James Celebrity Hunted.

Oh, I hadn't seen this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul0WQapCa3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

This has the better footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdm51U-BCpg