Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Agree that John has been a bit of a bummer contestant. You need a try-hard contestant... but they're usually the least entertaining to watch. A bunch have pulled off staying funny while gunning for the points (O'Brien was delightful during the tasks, Chris had the enthusiasm of a child - and the sausage task! Oh!). It feels telling that his one running gag isn't one he's contributing to, but one Alex and Greg are playing on him because he's so eager for points.

The best casts imo are the one's where everyone feels like chums by the end. S7, TMNZ S2, S13. It's hard to pin, but it's a summer camp energy. So far, this feels like it'll be a pretty forgettable season, as individually they're fine save John, but there isn't a lot of chemistry between contestants yet.

Nick is a teddy bear and the season highlight. Terrible at the game, but so lovable and unfazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Hello, here I am, a normal person, and I just want to say how much I utterly despise this person I saw on tv for about 2 hours and wish them nothing but suffering. Good day to you all.:tipshat:

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Boxturret posted:

Hello, here I am, a normal person, and I just want to say how much I utterly despise this person I saw on tv for about 2 hours and wish them nothing but suffering. Good day to you all.:tipshat:

Sorry John, didn't think you were a goon and I'm sure you're lovely irl. Wish you all the best in everything outside TM

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i do think people get kinda weirdly hyperbolic about comedians they dont care for

idk im not in love with anyone in particular in this cast but theyve all made me laugh so :shrug:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

WaffleACAB posted:

Sorry John, didn't think you were a goon and I'm sure you're lovely irl. Wish you all the best in everything outside TM

Yeah the only reason someone could find that sort of behaviour annoying is because they're the target of it. You got it.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I did say it was my last post on the subject and tried to include some other content, well aware of how boring the negativity and hating can get after a point.

For some positivity, Nick is very sweet and his tension task actually made me lol.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I've reversed course on John. I definitely think he's annoying for being so try-hard and not as funny, but Alex and Greg know this so they can make him squirm/sabotage him.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

WaffleACAB posted:

get a grip

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I don't get the John hate. I don't typically hate on the competent contestants unless they push it too far, which has so far just been Mel for me. John seems pretty average for a tryhard. I'll change my mind if he starts drawing pineapples or completely dominating or something. But right now it's not like he's even on top, he's third. So far he's figured out the trick the crew built into the claw machine task and figured out he doesn't need to wear the water baby in that task. Every other task he's just been an average contestant.

Also I wanna point out Nick's vampire outfit and bonnet look in the first task was amazing.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 13, 2024

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

WaffleACAB posted:

For some positivity, Nick is very sweet and his tension task actually made me lol.

Nick is adorable, I wish they had paired him with Joanne so we could see her delightful Irish aggression play off his soft sweetness.

I'm loving Steve Pembertons' prize tasks and the acting/scenario tasks he does too, he's so clever!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's funny how this show rewires your brain. I audibly gasped when I heard N O V O W E L S

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

I've reversed course on John. I definitely think he's annoying for being so try-hard and not as funny, but Alex and Greg know this so they can make him squirm/sabotage him.

yeah like i dont find him particularly annoying (i have historically been very soft on tryhards) but i do very much enjoy how easy he is to bait

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Boxturret posted:

This is like barging into a convention about boats, then smugly and loudly complaining that people have opinions about what kinds of boats they prefer. No one's said anything about John, the person. Just that they are or aren't enjoying his performance so far been in the show.

Irisi posted:

I'm loving Steve Pembertons' prize tasks and the acting/scenario tasks he does too, he's so clever!

So far it feels like Steve might be in the running for best prize task entries? Julian had some bangers, but was very clearly using the show as a GoodWill for tchotchkes he didn't want anymore. Curious if Greg will turn on him for being so clever with it at some point.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh, so you're saying you hate trains? Goddamn train-haters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do feel like John is a solid "he's fine", but I can understand why people are disliking him. I think it mostly boils down to it being really obvious that he's seen the show and is aware of its tricks, which makes it feel a lot less organic when he finds one. There have been a lot of contestants by this point that at least have some familiarity with the show before going on it, but I think it is typically more fun when people go in largely blind.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I do feel like John is a solid "he's fine", but I can understand why people are disliking him. I think it mostly boils down to it being really obvious that he's seen the show and is aware of its tricks, which makes it feel a lot less organic when he finds one. There have been a lot of contestants by this point that at least have some familiarity with the show before going on it, but I think it is typically more fun when people go in largely blind.

Katherine Parkinson is easily my favorite example of someone going in blind; I never got tired of her baffled fumbling.

"...am I the spider?"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I really actually don't care for Steve's prize tasks at all, like if you wanna talk about tryharding his prize tasks all start at the level of pretty good gag and then draws it out long enough that it stops being funny and ends before it wraps around to being funny again. boobies was sufficient, it was funny and didn't wear out its welcome. the haiku was tiring

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I think John Robbins did well on the baby water can task and the double fake out on if he broke the rules after seasons of "but" and roll tape again was actually pretty smart.

I think he's playing the game the same way one of those super fans does when they talk what they would do in the task, where they are trying to find the workaround to be "the clever one",

As a fan of Inside No. 9 because of it's really dark comedy (I loved the fake game show episode with Lee Mack last series) I can see how he's really good at the tasks that are the open-ended types.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I do feel like John is a solid "he's fine", but I can understand why people are disliking him. I think it mostly boils down to it being really obvious that he's seen the show and is aware of its tricks

He's said that he binged the previous series (and international stuff) in a couple of weeks before his tasks were filmed and he stopped the show everytime a task was read out so he could have a think about how he'd do the task. Also said he keeps a spreadsheet of what points he thought he should get and got a bit upset when Greg didn't score accordingly. It's just a bit too much and very obvious.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

not a bot posted:

He's said that he binged the previous series (and international stuff) in a couple of weeks before his tasks were filmed and he stopped the show everytime a task was read out so he could have a think about how he'd do the task. Also said he keeps a spreadsheet of what points he thought he should get and got a bit upset when Greg didn't score accordingly. It's just a bit too much and very obvious.

If anything it makes it funnier that he does all that and still struggle to beat Joanne who doesn't know what an amphibian is.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah I don't think John is necessarily the funniest, but after so many tasks of going "oh there's an obvious trick" and then watching the whole cast gently caress it up, it can be quite satisfying to watch the occasional try hard think it through and actually nail things. He's more entertaining than Herring, at least.

I think Sophie is the one who's not clicking for me, I just don't quite get her humour.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Lugubrious posted:

Katherine Parkinson is easily my favorite example of someone going in blind; I never got tired of her baffled fumbling.

"...am I the spider?"

Kathering Parkinson came off as clueless and insane at a level that made me question whether she had ever been outside on her own before, and I loved it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah I don't think John is necessarily the funniest, but after so many tasks of going "oh there's an obvious trick" and then watching the whole cast gently caress it up, it can be quite satisfying to watch the occasional try hard think it through and actually nail things. He's more entertaining than Herring, at least.

I think Sophie is the one who's not clicking for me, I just don't quite get her humour.

The cat feeder introduction was stellar I thought. Her sense of humour does feel a bit 'older' than she really is, but it only makes it funnier to me.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm kinda surprised Robins had NEVER watched it, given him and Horne are mates (maybe not as much as he is with Key and Watto).

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

Paladinus posted:

The cat feeder introduction was stellar I thought. Her sense of humour does feel a bit 'older' than she really is, but it only makes it funnier to me.

I have to say I was quite surprised when I learned Sophie was only 36. Her and Nick are the ones I am enjoying the most so far, but I always enjoy the duds more than the competent types.

I also miss the pure chaos energy of last season as so far the cast doesn't seem to have much chemistry with each other.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Poopbutt posted:

I have to say I was quite surprised when I learned Sophie was only 36. Her and Nick are the ones I am enjoying the most so far, but I always enjoy the duds more than the competent types.

I also miss the pure chaos energy of last season as so far the cast doesn't seem to have much chemistry with each other.

The impression I'm getting from Nick is that he also knows the show, but he's trying to find the most entertaining way to do the task even if it blows up in his face. Which has made his chaotic failures way more exciting to watch than someone finding the straight line to the most efficient solution.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I was watching some clips of James Acaster on Mock the Week and Would I lie to You earlier and John was in a few of them. I honestly thought his appearance on Taskmaster was the first time I'm seeing him. He's just dull and forgettable, as well as a try hard.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Poopbutt posted:

For the Lucy Beaumont fans I would definitely recommend the Perfect Brains podcast. It is quite interesting hearing Sam Campbell of all people become uncomfortable and confused.

I just listened to the episode with her mum and it's definitely put to bed any idea that she might be exaggerating her weirdness. If anything she came across like the normal one.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I was watching some clips of James Acaster on Mock the Week and Would I lie to You earlier and John was in a few of them. I honestly thought his appearance on Taskmaster was the first time I'm seeing him. He's just dull and forgettable, as well as a try hard.

He can be pretty Marmite but he's a comedy stalwart. Just not a popular one with the goods for telly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

stev posted:

I just listened to the episode with her mum and it's definitely put to bed any idea that she might be exaggerating her weirdness. If anything she came across like the normal one.

that episode was like traumatizing lol it truly explained so much in such little time

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Poopbutt posted:

Also her and Jon Richardson have announced their divorce so the little people breeding project has come to an unfortunate end. If only Nick Mohammed wasn’t married.

drat, that clip I saw of them awhile back on some other British panel show joking about getting a divorce is even funnier now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bertha the Toaster posted:

James is great actually.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

James is great actually.

John not James

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Genericide posted:

John not James

Ah, I'm dumb as poo poo carry on.

Yeah, this cast aren't doing anything for me.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ah, I'm dumb as poo poo carry on.

Yeah, this cast aren't doing anything for me.

LOL, I thought you were just making a joke.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A chance to ask questions to the two Andys.
https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/1c5e23r/series_17_askmaster_andy_devonshire_and_andy/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watching old episodes and Ed Gamble is definitively one of the most unhinged contestants. Like, him loving losing it when paired with Baddiel on one of the live tasks and going on an angry rant and just killing a fly without losing a beat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Watching old episodes and Ed Gamble is definitively one of the most unhinged contestants. Like, him loving losing it when paired with Baddiel on one of the live tasks and going on an angry rant and just killing a fly without losing a beat.

see like that's what you do with a contestant who genuinely wants and is trying to win: you stick em with whoever's most most likely to phone it in if you've got one

which you know, not always possible since scheduling is so big and it's pre-season guesswork anyway so there's no guarantees but it makes for good watching

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finally watched the most recent ep, ahead of tonight’s new one. That was… tedious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I was genuinely worried about someone drinking that rum so I’m glad Alex pointed out it was non alcoholic. Also worried about someone running over and cutting the real hand.