Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Glad they are running with no reflections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Annabel Pee posted:

I was genuinely worried about someone drinking that rum so I’m glad Alex pointed out it was non alcoholic. Also worried about someone running over and cutting the real hand.

presumably the health and safety disqualification alarm would've gone off the second anyone went near the real hand with scissors

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they should do more tasks in pastures full of horses just roaming around

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
Still haven't clicked with this cast simply because they haven't made me laugh much. I think it is just the lack of comedic chemistry and studio banter.

However I will say I have a friend who loves the show for the competitive problem solving aspect and she loves John and Steve. It is a shame her opinion is wrong, because they have both been immensely boring.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Poopbutt posted:

However I will say I have a friend who loves the show for the competitive problem solving aspect and she loves John and Steve. It is a shame her opinion is wrong, because they have both been immensely boring.

that actually may be why I tend to be softer on that type of contestant in general than a lot of people here (and am fine with John and fine with Steve outside prize tasks) but yeah I find them mid-tier members of that archetype personally

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Say what you will about the rest of the episode, the prize task was amazing. And very educational.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Best slut drop in task master history?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Could you have looked *around* the fence?

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Previous competent try-hards (i.e. Gamble and Herring) have A) been funny and B) were proper fans of the show. They were funny in their tryhardness - the clear desperation to do well and impress Greg, crushing disappointment and even rage when things didn't go their way.

I am loving the dad-mance of Steve and Nick but I think Nick and John as a team would have been funnier. A bit of a handicap for John (not that Sophie or Joanne aren't tbf) and the physical comedy of the difference in their heights. Steve would have been a cute third for Joanne and Sophie as well.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

TIL about the nasolabial fold

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Best slut drop in task master history?

No doubt

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I think this was the best episode in the season so far, even the studio banter was great. Especially enjoyed Alex's minefield joke.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

thehustler posted:

Could you have looked *around* the fence?

No, the rules were no over, through or around

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

No, the rules were no over, through or around

No, it was over, through, or under, so I think around is in play.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

thehustler posted:

No, it was over, through, or under, so I think around is in play.

I'm 99% sure he said around as well

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pretty sure the identity of the person behind the fence wasn't important.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Mr Beens posted:

Glad they are running with no reflections

Yes! That is a wonderful touch.

Steve looked so relaxed holding hands with Nick, but if you're used to hanging our with Mark Gatiss and Reece Shearsmith, Dracula hardly makes an impression.

I would be keen to see the other League of Gentlemen cast do Taskmaster, though I'd worry for Reece's blood pressure.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Doubtful Guest posted:

I would be keen to see the other League of Gentlemen cast do Taskmaster, though I'd worry for Reece's blood pressure.

I genuinely had it in my head the other day that Reece had done it at some point, no idea why. Not like any of them does the panel show circuit either so not even sure what would have made me think that.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Doubtful Guest posted:

I have no idea what Reece is like in real life, so I can only imagine him as Ollie Plimsolls from Legz Akimbo.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

If he did then fair enough, I'll check tonight

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Creature posted:

I have no idea what Reece is like in real life, so I can only imagine him as Ollie Plimsolls from Legz Akimbo.

He did the Celeb version of Great British Bakeoff a few years back, the one Channel 4 runs for their Stand Up To Cancer charity drive.

And he was...tightly wound. Perfectionism appears to be his driving trait, and being in complete control of what is happening (makes sense, given how he and Pemberton have always been the writers/directors/producers of all their own stuff). He was very good at the baking, but appeared a little out of his element in getting judged and told what to do by external forces. I really, really don't think he'd enjoy Taskmaster. Pemberton appears to be by far the more easygoing member of their duo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think they're running out of celebrities in Britain. I don't believe any of the people in this new season are really famous.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Irisi posted:

He did the Celeb version of Great British Bakeoff a few years back, the one Channel 4 runs for their Stand Up To Cancer charity drive.

And he was...tightly wound. Perfectionism appears to be his driving trait, and being in complete control of what is happening (makes sense, given how he and Pemberton have always been the writers/directors/producers of all their own stuff).

That tracks from what I heard from someone who worked with him. He was never outright unpleasant as such, but those characters he plays in LoG where anger is just below the surface all the time aren’t a stretch for him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gripweed posted:

I think they're running out of celebrities in Britain. I don't believe any of the people in this new season are really famous.

They're always a mix of well known and up-and-coming comedians but they're rarely megastars. Steve is easily the most famous of this bunch and everyone knows Nick from Ted Lasso.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Just watching the episode now, it was all four
Around over under through

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

stev posted:

They're always a mix of well known and up-and-coming comedians but they're rarely megastars. Steve is easily the most famous of this bunch and everyone knows Nick from Ted Lasso.

I do not know Nick from Ted Lasso.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

but like, my mom knows nick from ted lasso. that show had tremendous crossover

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

when sophie did the dance moves i was thinking "she is pretty drat spry for a 60-year-old," and i googled her to see how old she was, i was shocked and it made a lot more sense

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
It's by no means the best opening of a Taskmaster series but I'm enjoying all the episodes. The most recent one got some chuckles out of me with the paint by numbers task and Nick and Steve having a wonderful day at the market during the team task.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I think we could all use more bargain hunt endings

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Azhais posted:

Just watching the episode now, it was all four
Around over under through

Well, poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This ep was much better than last weeks, and yeah, I still can’t believe Sophie isn’t the same age as Steve. Also committing to the bit of Nick not having a reflection is amazing. :allears:

I am very bored of John Robins though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Also committing to the bit of Nick not having a reflection is amazing. :allears:

He had a reflection last week, though!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZtpZfgOXw

I really want to go to a filming, but mainly to watch Greg and Alex bicker for what I assume is several hours.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

when sophie did the dance moves i was thinking "she is pretty drat spry for a 60-year-old," and i googled her to see how old she was, i was shocked and it made a lot more sense

Yeah I don't know how you get to be a crazy grandma type before you're even forty but here we are.

I have to agree that the new season isn't looking like it's going to be one of my favorites but I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. There has never been a season of TM UK that I didn't like, including this one.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Gripweed posted:

In terms of global fame Nick is arguably one of the most famous contestants they've ever had.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Steve's prize tasks are so boring and unfunny. They aren't even bad enough to make fun of him for.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I really want to go to a filming, but mainly to watch Greg and Alex bicker for what I assume is several hours.

I had been thinking that thus series seemed relatively short of studio banter, both between the contestants and between Greg and Alex.

The outtakes prove there's been plenty of it, it's just gloriously unbroadcastable!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mainwaring posted:

In terms of global fame Nick is arguably one of the most famous contestants they've ever had.

It's not an issue of technical fame. I usually don't know most of the contestants, but they usually have some kind of "it" factor that makes them seem like they belong on TV. like, season 15, I hadn't heard of any of those people except Frankie Boyle. But all the rest still seemed like real celebrities, it made sense that they were on TV, and I very quickly liked the whole cast.

But this season, I dunno man. It just kinda seems like five random people. And I'm not warming to them.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
They are running of out comedians and have to stoop down to let Nick Mohammed and Steve Pemberton on sure is a take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

stev posted:

Just give Joanne a random subject and let her rant about it.

Annabel Pee posted:

I was genuinely worried about someone drinking that rum so I’m glad Alex pointed out it was non alcoholic. Also worried about someone running over and cutting the real hand.

But why have rum at all, especially when you know one of the contestants are an alcoholic? There's literally thousands of other things you can use.