Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm personally looking forward to S12. I have to see how Victoria Coren-Mitchell approaches things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
From his podcast, Ron’s talked about how doing Taskmaster he was driving from Essex to the Taskmaster house to film, then drive to places like Cardiff to do gigs, then drive home, on about 3 hours sleep.

Which makes him winning all the tasks all the more impressive.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The morse-code bit never worked because it's too antiquated by this point. They do a similar thing when they write the Spanish phrase on the model boat (that Jon Richardson hilariously reads but fails to process) but that one works because it's a fun little gamble on the part of the show as it's entirely possible that one or more of the contestants would have some understanding of Spanish, but highly unlikely that anyone would have knowledge of morse-code.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it's more about recognizing that there is morse code in the first place, and then they could translate it on their phones.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I think I might be a Paul Chowdry fan now, this guy has some really great moments.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
He plays a blinder in Episode 3, speaking of which...

I've decided to keep posting my impressions ahead of the podcast, having found it nice to gather my thoughts before hearing what Ed Gamble has to say. Here goes.

Best battery operated item
Prize category with some potential, not everyone rose to it. I've always thought that a good panel show host needs the skills of a compère, so Greg rebuking the audience's first reaction with "gonna be that kind of crowd" made me smile. Seemed to put them in "awww" mode for the first two entries, which rightly got low points.

Sara's iPod is the only half-decent prize, but it's not interesting enough to rise above mid-table - which is maybe one reason why the stakes got lower as the show went on.

Sweat
Al's "oh, yeah" is a great reaction to a task being announced. This task did at least get its limits tested via two creative interpretations; one that's just canny enough to succeed...and one that pushes it too far. Satisfying that Paul won through actually trying hard at the A1 route of the task.

One overall impression I've got while rewatching Series 3 is that more of the laughs come from the banter in the studio than what happens in the tasks. It's quite the opposite of the last two seasons where the social distancing has put a dampener on interaction between contestants, and all the big laughs are in the footage. It might be why Series 3 is less memorably funny to me, and combined with the line-up feels to me more like a typical panel show than distinctly Taskmaster.

Domino rally
Classic task in concept, but apart from Paul nobody created a particularly spectacular success or spectacular failure. In one of the foreign remakes of taskmaster this task was revised to be "Create the best domino effect", which gave the contestants more scope to solve it laterally.

Gift
Lots of people complain that they didn't keep this task going in every series. I disagree, there's diminishing returns from this task, and I'm not surprised that this is the last time they did it. That said, I'm not against other tasks in a similar vein, something you have time to prepare like a prize task, but you have to accomplish in the studio like a live task. The Hula Hoop task from Series 7 is a potential model for that.

Flag meals
Bottle of champagne was a great move, totally in character for Dave, and Greg and Alex land the gag. Given that the food here seems pretty palatable compared to lots of other Taskmaster fare, Alex really seems pretty critical of everything he eats here.

Live task
Interesting in theory, but it did seem like a solved task by the end. Sara's approach is clearly leagues ahead of anything else you can do here, so thank goodness that the people who copy her don't have time to catch up.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
First clip from S12; I gather it was used in a BAFTA montage.
https://streamable.com/dumrep

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

"Al Murray's going to win this, that fat bastard"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Total Meatlove posted:

From his podcast, Ron’s talked about how doing Taskmaster he was driving from Essex to the Taskmaster house to film, then drive to places like Cardiff to do gigs, then drive home, on about 3 hours sleep.

Which makes him winning all the tasks all the more impressive.

Has there ever been a contestant on the show named Ron?

Also, if anyone else is hankering more TM, check out the New Zealand one. They play it a lot safer than the US one, copying the show's style completely – but it's still pretty fun. Host is not as much fun as Greg, but has enough of a presence to work. The guy playing 'Alex' is very Alex-y.

New season of that coming yet this year will have Guy Montgomery from 'The Worst Idea of All Time' podcast on it. :yayclod:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

The World Inferno posted:

Also, if anyone else is hankering more TM, check out the New Zealand one. They play it a lot safer than the US one, copying the show's style completely – but it's still pretty fun. Host is not as much fun as Greg, but has enough of a presence to work. The guy playing 'Alex' is very Alex-y.

New season of that coming yet this year will have Guy Montgomery from 'The Worst Idea of All Time' podcast on it. :yayclod:

I watched the NZ one a while ago and the 'Alex' character was really badly thought of because it was a straigt-up carbon copy and it didn't work at all. The taskmaster himself worked because he was clearly being his own person. Luckily four of the five constestants were amazing, while of them (Guy Williams) nearly ruined the show by being an aggressively unfunny prick who tried to bring in the audience for everything. A bit of a rough start but there were lots of great tasks.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A lot of the non-UK shows are a little tinged by the fact that in the UK version, Alex is the inventor and owner of Taskmaster, so the dynamic between the Taskmaster and the assistant cannot be the same.

One thing I'm missing from the earlier versions is a lot more freedom and experimenting in tasks, such as "show the taskmaster the most appreciation", "learn to hoola hoop", "communicate with a Swede", "buy the taskmaster a gift" and other free-form tasks where they had several months to complete it. Also, the individual tasks without points and the added instructions such as "do it with an accent the whole time" which only one contestant would get were great, but aren't being done any longer.

The Norwegian version was pretty good, and had one task I've never seen in any other version: "Explain to this person why you are the biggest celebrity". The show had some pretty big names in Norwegian entertainment, but bragging about yourself is extremely un-norwegian, so all the contestants were cringing more than anything I've ever seen when they realised it was about to come on screen. More subjective and psychological tests like that would be a lot of fun, possibly even more with the UK series where the contestants are very tied to their stage persona.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

not a bot posted:

I watched the NZ one a while ago and the 'Alex' character was really badly thought of because it was a straigt-up carbon copy and it didn't work at all. The taskmaster himself worked because he was clearly being his own person. Luckily four of the five constestants were amazing, while of them (Guy Williams) nearly ruined the show by being an aggressively unfunny prick who tried to bring in the audience for everything. A bit of a rough start but there were lots of great tasks.

Guy Williams was awesome on it?

The World Inferno posted:

Has there ever been a contestant on the show named Ron?

Nobody likes a pedant

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Ron Funches. The saving grace of the US series.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Forgot to rewatch S03E04 yesterday, so just catching up on that...

Shiniest thing
Think the scoring was pretty fair here, although I find Paul's entry hard to judge. Sara as usual put some thought into finding something distinctive to bring and it paid off. Al's entry felt clever for a second, then dull on second thought, and then it was broken anyway.

Far and wide
Possibly Paul's weakest (and funniest) attempt at a task - how hard did he work for paltry results? Other four attempts were pretty same-y, although a nice moment in Al's attempt: how Alex completes a task unguided - timing the end of the taxi ride to the last minute then hurling the cap for extra distance.

Five way tie!

What's my line?
Love the idea of this task. I like to think there's a category of "social tasks" on Taskmaster, like "Impress this mayor", "Cheer up this traffic warden" or "Learn the names of the football team". That said, I really think I would have taken a long time if I was doing this task...

SFX
I had genuinely forgotten about this task. It was OK. Both sides were going for funny, but they ended up a bit first-draft, improv that isn't firing on all cylinders. The team task in series 4 to "make a trailer for Taskmaster: The Movie" operates in a similar way but the returns are much higher, Mel and Hugh take their parody more seriously and it's funnier for it.

Live task!
This task makes for a pretty fair contest, and it got the audience involved well. I liked Dave's eyelashes.

I have to say that on reflection, Taskmaster live tasks have improved over the years. Like, even with the constraint of social distancing, I think that every live task in the past two seasons was funnier or more exciting than this one.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

not a bot posted:

I disagree, i didn't know Paul Williams before but it kinda feels like he's not really putting on a character, he's just a bit of a weirdo. Also the relationship with the Taskmaster is different, which contributes to the vibe being its own thing.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Final podcast for series 3 is about to go up, wonder if we go straight into series 4 next week?

Thoughts on the finale.
While I nit-picked some parts of series 3, this episode is a great capstone to it; all the tasks work well, and there are loads of callbacks to the other episodes in the series which tie everything together. It's a great example of why the show would not be half as good if the contestants rotated like on a typical panel show.

Prize task: obviously not a prize worth winning, but it's still entertaining watching people try and sell their entry. Dave wins it quite rightly, and in a very Dave Gorman way - easy to imagine him spending hours researching his family tree for something like this.

Buckets: a classic "screw-you" taskmaster task, obviously very funny to watch four desperate attempts to square the circle and make the useless junk functional. Then we get the definitive Al Murray moment, and one of the few times that Alex's impartiality is rightfully challenged - it was a treat to see that go down in the studio. And if that wasn't enough, another Gorman cheating scandal!

Charades: Sara and Rob giggling in anticipation of the VT was a lovely little moment. The farce that unfolded was incredible, every little moment of miscommunication edited into a joke. Then Dave finally threads the needle of finding a loophole that completely breaks the task without breaking the rules.

Slow-Mo/Fast-Mo: much better than last week's video task; as said on the show, they were all pretty good. I personally think Al's film was better than last place, but it was a tricky one, and Rob probably deserved the five points.

Donuts: this was a really tense finale, yet there was loads of opportunities for some funny lines as well. Paul in particular with his remark "I wouldn't be so stupid", and insisting that the donuts were still suitable for donation to the audience after he threw them onto the stage in "anger".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching through season 9 and it’s very good. Rose Matafeo and Ed Gamble are extremely funny and Katy Wix’s innocent energy is great too. And whoever said David Baddiel being hilariously useless makes up for what a shitheel he is irl was right

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Time for the weekly bump - and it's only one more week before the next series of Taskmaster NZ starts, so that's good.

Tomorrow the podcast starts on Series Four, which I have to say is one of my favourite line-ups/series in the show. So here are my thoughts on the upcoming episode.

Prize task: Autograph on a vegetable - it's an all time classic prize task category, the concept is funny, and the top three entrants all put in a very strong showing, given that it's not a category you can just grab an entry out of the cupboard at the last minute. Well, unless you're Hugh.

Cake: Lolly makes a very artistic effort here that I feel gets undermarked. Hugh goes into a fugue state, very scary, but again the end result isn't terrible. There's a shot about half way into Joe's effort where a perfect shower of fruit is blasted out by a firework, and that half a second is beautiful all by itself. This is also notable for being the first appearance of the caravan in Taskmaster - iconic as it seems, it was absent for three whole series. A detail I like about Noels' footage is that he's added a plastic duck and balls into the mix, and they only appear once the barrel is set in motion.

What sells Mel's is the decisiveness about it, finishes reading the task, bam, cake crushed, zero hesitation.

Charicture: Obviously one that plays to Noel's strengths here, but yeah, easy to see why everyone struggled with it. Hugh shows good lateral thinking in this task to mixed effect; the mirror provokes a good argument but no payoff in terms of points, getting the bonus point was a clearer success.

Ducks: Classic task. This is really where Hugh's analytical approach starts to pay off, well deserved win. Also really loved Lolly's attempt for the absurd persistence to it; when the hose fails, don't rethink it, just reset the task so it will work.

Juice: While the details of how this task works are a bit complicated, the essence of it is pretty clear: try to pick items no-one else will, then get juicing. Like the last live task of the previous series, it's built around one of those "game theory" conceits, requiring you to anticipate what the other players will do when weighing your options. Series 5 has a pre-filmed task with a similar idea, and given how the live shows are recorded well after the house shoots, I do wonder which one happened first.

Bonus bit of fun: it's sometimes fun to try and step into Alex's shoes, so why not try coming up with new prize categories? To make the challenge complete, make sure that you also write Alex's bit of slightly lame banter to introduce the category. Two examples:

The contestants have been asked to bring the Best Waterproof Item. The best item will win five point, and the contestant with the most points will take home all five items, and be able to have a great time in the bath, the shower, or even the rain!

Today, the contestants have been asked to bring in The Best Thing With Two Completely Different Functions for the prize pool. At the end of the show, this week's winner will take home all the items, and be able to do not five, but ten completely different things!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
As someone who has been recently watching all of Taskmaster for the first time I appreciate this thread. Strongly considering throwing a taskmaster party sometime in the future, and coming up with my own tasks that fit the style of the show on a generally small budget. Also, just because it's a fun idea:

This week our five contestants have been tasked with finding us the least helpful tool. Whichever tool is deemed least helpful for performing its intended purpose will earn five points, and today's winner will have five entirely new functions that they will be unable to complete.

This week, we've asked them for the most cheerful thing. Whoever has brought in the thing that inspires the most cheer will earn themselves five absolutely lovely, incredible, beautiful points. Today's overall winner will go home with all five things, and presumably, a smile on their face.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Superrodan posted:

Today's overall winner will go home with all five things, and presumably, a smile on their face.

I can hear this one exactly in Alex's cadence, love it!

I've seen a few home-made Taskmaster things, and one of the traps a lot of them fall into is setting too many objectively scored tasks, leaving the Taskmaster with no judging to do. Part of the appeal of the format is that you have a means of judging entirely subjective things, and you have the freedom to choose a thought-provoking adjective like "do the most preposterous thing with this chickpea" to work towards. You can even have the judging operate on two independent axes like "slowest and most dramatic fall wins".

Here's a good example of a homemade task in Rocket League of all things...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM4UK8CDg7s
I know nothing about the game and still found this video pretty funny.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I feel like I have a bunch of different types of task ideas, including scored ones and subjective ones. Some, if they have a speed or score component, have some wiggle room or a second component that adds a twist. For example,

"This task's a haiku.
Write five haikus, about you!
Fastest wins, start now."

The second part of the task is given when they complete the first:

"Now, choose your haiku
Pick the trickiest to guess
Was written by you'".

Then, the taskmaster tries to guess who is whos and judges who was hardest to guess.

I'll keep your feedback in mind however, because I definitely did have a few score based ones with lack of subjectivity. One was a scrabble board and a full set of tiles, and having them compile the highest scoring game they can in five minutes without repeating words.

Another was a timed task where they had to order a meal on doordash with a total closest to their birth year without going over in five minutes. They would try to have the lowest difference from their total to their year (so if they spend 19.56 versus 1985, the difference would be 29) and then secretly the task that would arrive with the meal later was to split everything that came with it (food, napkins, receipt, bag) onto three plates as equally as possible (judged by weight). The difference between the heaviest and lightest plate would be added to their value from the first part of the task and whoever had the lowest score at the end would win the 5 points.

Both felt like they fit the spirit of the show, but since our time will be limited, maybe having only one scored/objective task and three subjective ones would be better. Or maybe it would be enough to say in the first one "The taskmaster will award a bonus point for whoever uses the best adjective to describe the taskmaster on their scrabble board" or "The taskmaster will award a bonus point to whoever has the best presented dish" in the second one.

EDIT: I just had a thought about the scrabble game. I could switch it to be so that all their words should be adjectives about the taskmaster, with the judging being based on how well they were deemed to do that. Then I could have a bonus point instead for the person who earns the highest scrabble score. Reverse it, essentially.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 2, 2021

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Yeah, that sounds good. I guess it also depends if you're both playing the Taskmaster and setting the tasks. The ones I've seen where becoming the Taskmaster is a birthday gift, given by the person who plays the assistant and sets the tasks - that's where it kinda sucks to not give the birthday girl/boy anything to judge. Sometimes it can be fun to have an objective goal but subjective rules, and it's up to the Taskmaster to decide whether you crossed the line or not. However, if you're only doing one "episode" worth of tasks, a disqualification is a much bigger penalty.

With your haiku two-parter there, you've got the option to score the first part or not. If you aren't interested in giving five points to the person who writes them as fast as possible, you could change the last line to "as fast as you can", or flip it round to as many as possible in a half-hour or something.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Yeah, that sounds good. I guess it also depends if you're both playing the Taskmaster and setting the tasks. The ones I've seen where becoming the Taskmaster is a birthday gift, given by the person who plays the assistant and sets the tasks - that's where it kinda sucks to not give the birthday girl/boy anything to judge. Sometimes it can be fun to have an objective goal but subjective rules, and it's up to the Taskmaster to decide whether you crossed the line or not. However, if you're only doing one "episode" worth of tasks, a disqualification is a much bigger penalty.

Oh no... I'm definitely Alex. What's in my head is that we'd have two Alex-es during the tasks, since we'd want to have one person in the know filming to catch anything important, and the other actually available to assist in the room or to answer questions. Then we'd edit what we can together. I'm picturing way shorter segments than the show because we won't have a bunch of nice dynamic camera angles to cut between and our players won't be professional comedians. It would mostly be a bit of thinking out loud as they read the task, plus maybe Alex would ask them some questions about their approach, followed by quick montages.

Then, we'd make a proper night of it where friends who weren't doing the tasks could come party if they want, but regardless we'd show clips in the living room on a TV for the five involved players. One of the Alex-es (probably not me, since I imagine I'll more be handling getting clips to play and such) plays Alex's role on the show with a taskmaster who wasn't super involved up until that point but knew the five players and what they were getting into. Everyone brings something for a prize task, and they all see how eachother tackled the tasks for the first time, with a nice dinner break followed by a few more prerecorded tasks and finally a live task before the rest of the night splits off to talk about it all and socialize.

Essentially, it would be a shortened mini-episode of the show for us to discuss in a casual setting afterward and have a fun story to tell.

EDIT: I like the "as fast as you can" change. It's very Taskmaster, as in it's similar to the NZ "break the vase" task and at least one other one I can't remember where it was a setup like that.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 2, 2021

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Speaking of inventing tasks, there's an article about the approach the NZ creators took when creating series two. Be warned, it does contain a big spoiler for the climactic task of TM NZ S1 if you haven't seen that yet.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300346161/taskmaster-nz-reveals-the-secret-to-making-comedians-feel-uncomfortable

The final house task of the series is usually quite a momentous occasion in a series, and TM NZ delivered on that (as it did in most other ways) - but the article does reveal that the task they used was perilously close to being cut. It makes me wonder how often it comes down to simply holding back a really good task for the final episode, versus how often Alex prepares a task he hopes will make a good finale. Series 5 ends with an absolute stunner, but it does seem like it's a pretty ordinary task elevated to greatness by how well both teams tackled it (Mark Watson's comments on the podcast this week about it push me slightly in that direction). Whereas the endings to Series 7 (tie yourself up + boiler suit) and Series 9 (complete all seven tasks) seem like they were intentionally big "headline" tasks.

I mean, maybe my theory's wrong, but it didn't sit right with me when I saw some of the foreign remakes of Taskmaster repeat those latter two as just random tasks in the middle of the series run. It seemed like a waste!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’ve almost finished Man Down in the last few weeks. I knew Roisin and Greg were friends from other panel shows, but I had never heard of Mike Wozniak until TM. Weird how he is an equally main character in Man Down but it took 10 series to go from her to him.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I haven't watched all of NZ Taskmaster yet, and I'm still on season 10 of UK, so thanks for the warning about that article. I just started episode 3 of NZ last night and was surprised to see my "Most useless tool" prize task was essentially used already, without the tool aspect. Whoops.

I am mainly watching the NZ one because of the praise I see it get in the taskmaster community, but so far I really think it's fine at best. There's no season of the UK version I think I've enjoyed less. The tasks themselves seem great and really fun, but I don't much care for their Taskmaster, or Paul Williams take on the Alex role. He's kind of all of the awkwardness and stuntedness without the sort of upbeat optimistic undercurrent of a personality that Alex has. Their taskmaster doesn't really have the same talent to shed light on the ridiculousness of everything and to call funny things into question that Greg does. Typically their conversation about the tasks is kind of awkward and just sort of fizzles out. I've noticed a few times their transition is essentially "We need to move on from this discussion", without any kind of punchline.

The five contestants are pretty good in their own ways (I don't much care for Paul WIlliams' brother who's personality so far is "try too hard", but he does get into it) but not really liking their assistant or taskmaster really puts a damper on the rest of the show.

I'll keep watching it because its still taskmaster, and I do sincerely appreciate the people who devised their unique tasks, but I was kind of expecting more based on the reputation.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

After seeing the whole show, I like Paul as assistant, he's got a weird dynamic with Angela going on. And yeah, Jeremy isn't 100% there yet - what he lacks is that ability to interrogate the contestants about their performance. At least over the series he gets better at explaining the points he's giving out. One of the things that' took me a while to realise is how much more "compressed" the taskmaster's involvement in the show is. The assistant and the contestants have been pre-filming for ages, preparing for the prize tasks, etc. The Taskmaster only really enters the scene for the week of taping studio shows, so there's not nearly as much time to grow into the role. Maybe it's more of a miracle that Greg could nail that from day 1.

Thought of something else I meant to post before - setting your haiku task in haiku form has a really nice double benefit. It's a great bit of flavour to it, and it's also a helpful aid for the contestants. If any of them wonder out loud how many syllables there are in a haiku, you can slip in a "all the information is on the task" there!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Thought of something else I meant to post before - setting your haiku task in haiku form has a really nice double benefit. It's a great bit of flavour to it, and it's also a helpful aid for the contestants. If any of them wonder out loud how many syllables there are in a haiku, you can slip in a "all the information is on the task" there!

Thanks, that was one of the things I was going for!

Also, I just started season 10 of UK taskmaster today. First episode was kinda weird without an audience. It was a bit awkward with some of the in studio banter, they were laughing really hard at things I thought were just kind of funny (the task with the bear and the drinks)

I don't know the comedians' names quite yet but it was a really pleasant surprise to see the actress who played Jen on IT Crowd on there. I'm also having a LOT of trouble with Johnny Vegas' (the one name I did catch since its so... showbizzy) accent and mumbling. He says a lot of things that I'm just not able to catch. Hopefully I get better at picking up on the individual words because he seems like a really fun guy.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
watched the first ep of the new taskmaster nz season, guy montgomery is quality

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The fact that he brought an actual Greens MP for the prize task, and not a cardboard cutout or something like that, is what really makes this version of the show undeniably Kiwi.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
chlöe's friends with that auckland comedian set – here's guy at a stand-up fundraiser for her campaign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXSf1BCeR1s

also, guy williams is dating a different green mp lol

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Everything in that episode clicked, what an amazing cast.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

During the prize task I thought David Correos was going to quickly annoy me but the rest of the episode he grew on me.

Once again I think they're coming up with better tasks than Little Alex Horne. The house is better too. It won't happen but I reckon they ought to find a new house for the UK series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there a legal way to watch the NZ version in the UK?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

Is using a VPN to use the official NZTV streaming service illegal or a civil law contract dispute?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

stev posted:

While it hasn't happened yet, I really think it would be a great move for Dave to acquire the rights to air TM NZ. Even if they weren't the original home of Taskmaster, it's the type of show they'd import into their line-up - what better way to get original TM content again?

Nerdy fact: in the first episode of TM NZ S2, each of the contestants came first in one of the tasks - and this is surprisingly rare! The first UK episode you could make a case for is S03E05, where the team of three wins Charades five-nil, then Sara and Rob both get five points in the next task. But for me this is an unsatisfying example, because these are joint first place (which is inevitable when team tasks are in the picture).

S04E06 is the first episode where all contestants earn five points in an individual task, but Joe Lycett only comes first in the sleeping bag task and that's shared with Lolly and Noel. Two more like that during Series 5 in episode 2 (Mark shares first with everyone but Bob in the live task) and episode 6 (Nish shares his only first place in the episode with Bob). Series 6 finally yields an undisputed example in episode 6 (after two episodes where everyone gets five points in the same task, first in a team task and then in an individual task). The only other episode where each contestant has an untied five point win is S09E03.

Also-ran in that category: Series 8 has two back-to-back episodes where a contestant has a highest task score of 4, but that was the winning score for the task:
S08E05 - Paul Sinha gets an extra point in a team task, meaning he earns 4 points, the highest total for the task. Each other contestant earns five points untied in another round.
S08E06 - Joe Thomas gets 4 points in a terrible prize task round. Everyone else gets 1 point for their prize, all four win a later task.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh cool, a Taskmaster thread.

Never seen the NZ version, but have rewatched the UK version sooo many times.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"Yis. We can all agree it's a very fuckable chocolate"

Guy Montgomery races to the lead of the cast just five minutes in.

The first task is solid stuff. Digging this a lot so far.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 10, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 10 is so brilliantly mean I’m loving dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Season 10 is so brilliantly mean I’m loving dying

One of my favourite bits of the first episode is Richard Herring's genuine concern that the vanishing task is going to be interpreted literally and result in another five disqualifications - and that was before they all botched the egg task. Katherine's monologue to camera during the vanishing trick seemed to me like she was channelling Derren Brown, maybe subconsciously - does anyone else see that in the clip?

I'm behind on my rewatch of Series 4, as the podcast for episode 3 comes out tomorrow, but here's my thoughts on episode 2 while I play catch-up.

Prize task (boasting): seems like it should an exercise in how you pitch this one to Greg, but a lot of the contestants self-sabotaged with entries that were easy to undermine. I do think Hugh could have sold his a lot better by emphasising that the team got to the final. Noel is a worthy winner; Lolly probably did well to get 4 points, but it wasn't an injustice on the other contestants either.

Treadmilliards: Some real savage comments from Alex here, lobbing "would have been a lot more if you'd been better at it" at Mel, and correcting the record on the margin separating 3.8 from 3.75. And of course Hugh crushes this task to a frustrating, almost pointless degree, given that nobody else reached the 20 second mark.

Portraiture: Loved Mel's concern about what Hugh's disqualification would mean (this time an example of him overthinking a task). The rules of the task strike a good balance in terms of complexity and restrictiveness - even building in a apparently obvious loophole, two contestants missed it and another botched the execution. Good little individual task for Joe, and some really great pictures as well.

Flour bombs: This is like a much nicer version of the water and buckets task from Series 3. The equipment supplied isn't completely useless, but at the same time there's no obvious right approach. Hugh is too ambitious for his own good here, it seems like they expended loads of time on a longshot plan, and had a last minute panic to get anything at all on target. Team youth had a series of much more practical attempts, then a lot of messing around late on, before pissing it all away with some blatant and utterly unnecessary cheating from Noel.

Egg and cup: another appearance of the game theory mechanic. Nice decisive work from Noel and Joe, setting up a great contrast with Hugh's attempt. Nothing on Mel though...

Live task: it's a great dramatic reveal at the end of the task, and "look at me" is a very worthy title for the episode. Staring at the Taskmaster is also a smart device to make sure there's something happening on screen, given it's a task where the actual activity is entirely hidden.