Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

neongrey posted:

yeah I was shocked to discover that she's the only one of this cast younger than me
I just looked both of them up and I think I'm having an identity crisis now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
In one of the few times I don't regret reading Youtube comments, someone down there pointed this out:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Snowy posted:

This is making me imagine a Trump-hosted Apprentice/Taskmaster crossover and I hate it

I was going to make a Trump joke when I read that post, but then I saw the new episode discussion start so I had to quit before reading further :v:

MisterZimbu posted:

In one of the few times I don't regret reading Youtube comments, someone down there pointed this out:

What in the blue hell is going on there?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think they may have tried to remove his reflection as some sort of an easter egg?

^ From around the 28:17 mark

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah, they removed his reflection in the task's intro (the reflection that is there is the scarecrow). I'm basically going to be watching every mirror like a hawk from here on out.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That's fantastic.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

And yet he managed to cross running water.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

:actually: he didn't - he got in and back out. The reflection editing is awesome.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I imagine Alex had to invite him in the house, too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

MisterZimbu posted:

the comments on these are usually pretty nice and friendly; I saw that one too, really funny

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's hilarious and I hope they keep it up for the whole season.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Did John Robins just spoil the warm-up task in the podcast?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmqMWnh3omg

They hide some fun stuff in the that Youtube Shorts tab.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

does the Castlevania anime(??) literally have a scene where even vampires themselves dont know how their weakness work? like a viking vampire being very insistent that baths and boats dont count because he bathes and been on boats.

drat a supernatural/halloween taskmaster would be fun.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonthompson/2024/03/30/taskmaster-is-the-white-lotus-of-the-entertainment-world/amp/

quote:

There are already numerous incarnations of Taskmaster, which started as a show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival worldwide. However, would the pair consider bringing the UK show to the US?

"We're in New York at the moment and we're muttering about it. We think it could work," Horne mused.

"We would love to do it. I'll say it, blatantly," Davies laughed. "I would love us to do it, but I think it would have to be a recreation of what we do on our terms. American performers coming into our world and abiding by our rules, and I think it would work, and I would love to do it."

Horne continued, "Americans have always loved some British shows, like The Office and going back to Monty Python. I don't know why, but I think they have taken this under their wing. I haven't got an answer for you, and it might be because it's quintessentially British, but it's very different from anything on American TV. People tend to tell us that it makes them happy, and if they're sad, they can turn to it and escape."

So, who would they like to be on the panel of Taskmaster US?

"Schwarzenegger," they said almost in unison. "And Danny DeVito," Horne added. "Let's get both Twins on. We'd love to get Kamala Harris."

"Who's the one that does the chat show? She was in E.T.? Drew Barrymore," Davies continued.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/horneislife/status/1774077738179018982

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ah. The true answer to who would be the best U.S. Taskmaster and Assistant, clearly, was Greg Davies and Alex Horne the whole time.

Schwarzenegger and DeVito would kill it on the show.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Oh wow I always thought it was fake because Greg has made comments about him pretending to use it.

Not sure about this series yet. I enjoyed the episode but nobody immediately stood out to me good or bad. Just an average (average being good because it's Taskmaster) season thus far. Will have to see how it goes as the cast grows on me. Last season is a tough act to follow with multiple people just immediately standing out first episode.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My stuntcast is Tina Fey as TM and Jack McBrayer as assistant. Or Conan and Jack. But Jack.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Nick Offerman could easily dip back into the Ron Swanson well for TM duties.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Nick Offerman and Aubrey Plaza??

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Nick Offerman and Aubrey Plaza??

No, Plaza isn't the right type. I could see her personally being fine with eating disgusting food, enduring small amounts of physical abuse or being partially stripped for the sake of the task, but where it's funny when it happens to Alex I don't think the audience would take to it happening to her the same way.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ravenson posted:

No, Plaza isn't the right type. I could see her personally being fine with eating disgusting food, enduring small amounts of physical abuse or being partially stripped for the sake of the task, but where it's funny when it happens to Alex I don't think the audience would take to it happening to her the same way.

Yeah, I don't see it. Nick Offerman as Taskmaster yes, but Aubrey Plaza playing another "basically mute 20-something not interested in anything getting dragged along to things and doing the bare minimum and most of the time not even that" worked in support cast in Parks & Rec but would be a terrible TM assistant.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It might work if we change the assistant's role from "obsequious to TM, generally useless to contestants" to "indifferent to TM, utterly antagonistic to contestants." Otherwise the dynamic between Offerman and Plaza in TM would be :whitewater:

But if we're to keep the Greg/Alex dynamic, then give me Offerman as the TM and someone absolutely ridiculous as the assistant. Like John Cena or the gigantic man playing Reacher on Amazon. Jon Hamm has comedy chops (:haw:) as well, although most of the names I'm tossing out are probably too big for TV hosting these days.

Also, I haven't watched the new episode yet but I'm a little concerned that TM USA and related stuntcasting chat is getting as much attention :ohdear:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Trabant posted:

Also, I haven't watched the new episode yet but I'm a little concerned that TM USA and related stuntcasting chat is getting as much attention :ohdear:
Don't worry, it's very good.

I don't love Steve Pemberton; he has a "tim vine but squicks me out less" vibe, but other than my own personal issue this is a good cast and I get the feeling things are going to go delightfully unhinged

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wungus posted:

Don't worry, it's very good.

I don't love Steve Pemberton; he has a "tim vine but squicks me out less" vibe, but other than my own personal issue this is a good cast and I get the feeling things are going to go delightfully unhinged

It's always interesting to see just one half of a comedy/writing duo on something like Taskmaster where they're required to put their personality on display and you find out precisely what quirks they contribute to the joint scripts.

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith can write some really macabre, pitch black comedy/drama, but even in their darkest pieces there's always these delightfully silly flashes of old-school puns, and I always wondered which one of them kept popping them in. And now I know!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I'm more questioning *where* it would go, rather than who.

Because Greg and Alex? That's the show. Makes sense.

Joel McHale would make sense in his world of clip show and heckling, but then you'll need to find a nerdy sidekick like a BDG or a Sam Reich to help.

But I'm more on the "Comedy Central hosed this up so much", "The CW pulled it after one episode of Series 8, Episode 1", what network will pick it up? Or is this going to Roku Channel like American Baking Show?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

just have greg and alex do your big american show is definitely the simplest and least-fuckupable solution, i hope they try it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

eke out posted:

just have greg and alex do your big american show is definitely the simplest and least-fuckupable solution, i hope they try it

While that could be really good it would surely mean less time spent on the UK show. I could imagine them cutting down to one season per year if they did that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah if the show has become as popular as it seems in the US then it sorta stands to reason the hosts are a largeish part of that, people would probably like seeing their favourite comedians/funny adjacent people getting judged by Greg and being helped/hindered by Alex in the tasks.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

stev posted:

While that could be really good it would surely mean less time spent on the UK show. I could imagine them cutting down to one season per year if they did that.

yeah they have been on an absolutely breakneck pace -- two full seasons of 10 each every year -- so frankly I am assuming seasons in the future will eventually be slowing down even if they don't expand in any way.

on the other hand alex seems to both love working and to be extremely aware of how insanely lucky he is to have this caught on like it has, maybe he'll keep pressing as long as someone'll let him (and greg shoots for like 2 weeks a year so it's whatever for him)

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 1, 2024

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
To me a cool solution would be to continue to make two series a year, and commit to a heavy mix of UK and US talent and switch back and forth each season for the live shows. If the show is the same but there's a season with 4 US, 1 UK contestants, it would potentially work in both markets, especially if some of the US talent is quite recognizable in the UK. Then start mixing in more of the UK folks until each season it's always 3/2 one way or the other.

I'm sure the rights and logistics to do something like that are a nightmare, but beyond that the only real format downside is if you essentially keep going and just open the show more to the US, you can't reuse a bunch of tasks that the UK audience has already seen. But if it's a new version, there are so many great tasks that would be new to so many people.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Presumably they would have a lot more weight behind getting more creative control over the whole thing - what with the Comedy Central one changing so much but then tanking and yet there's a clear audience and devout fanbase for it very well established.

If they were in this position five years ago would imagine any number of streaming services would have funded it in a heartbeat, Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Amazon etc. but they're both probably less freewheeling with their programming and probably favor properties they can completely own.

Still idk. This can't be that an expensive a show to put on.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I can see Apple jumping on it. They're still building up their library and have tons of cash to spend.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I understand there's not always a lot to talk about between series, but yeah this is the exact conversation every single time it comes up. Doing a search for 'Conan' comes up with the following dates:

Feb 4, 2024
Sep 25, 2023
Dec 23, 2022
Sep 13, 2022
Apr 18, 2022

I predict that this conversation will resume between August 29 and September 30 of 2024.

Too optimistic.

I didn't think this episode was very funny.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Trabant posted:

I can see Apple jumping on it. They're still building up their library and have tons of cash to spend.

Doesn’t fit apple’s branding. I don’t see it.

The show is cheap enough to produce and right in their wheelhouse that Netflix could easily pick it up. Netflix REALLY likes picking up shows with large back catalogues and multi-national versions.

By all accounts this show hits all the right notes for them, providing the international rights aren’t a clusterfuck.

As far as hosts, Alex has been transparent that he’s quite happy with how AUS/NZ has been handled, so I don’t see why they’d do it any different. We can theorycraft all we want but there is no shortage in America of rear end in a top hat-adjacent & geeky/subservient hosts to choose from. The Alex character is much harder to choose, but it shouldn’t be an issue. From a quick list skim, I’d say any of the following could work in nearly any combo…

TMs:
Conan
Joel Mchale
Craig Ferguson
Michelle wolf
Bill burr
Daniel tosh
Sarah Silverman
Nicki glasser
Chelsea handler

Assistant:
Brian poshen
David cross
Eric Andre
Zack galifanackis
Kristen sacaal

I’ve run out of time to think of more, but this thread always is thinking of perfect hosts, when there are plenty that would easily be successful.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the deal of the assistant is that they're a main writer and responsible for actually caring about how tasks go, it's a weird mix of a starring role and a producer.

to be good you gotta cast a weird little guy for it that wants to write (see: AU, NZ), not someone with multiple houses that's been on tv for 30+ years

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 1, 2024

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

eke out posted:

the deal of the assistant is that they're a main writer and responsible for actually caring about how tasks go, it's a weird mix of a starring role and a producer.

to be good you gotta cast a weird little guy for it that wants to write (see: AU, NZ), not someone with multiple houses that's been on tv for 30+ years

Why would the assistant have to be the main writer? That's the case for Horne but only because he came up with the whole idea. I think the NZ assistant has said they have a team and he contributes a bit.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

haha yeah i was hedging as 'a' main writer for that reason.

they don't have to be a sole like alex, but i think the fact that they are involved is directly part of why those shows have worked. i don't think it's for an extremely famous person

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Irisi posted:

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith can write some really macabre, pitch black comedy/drama, but even in their darkest pieces there's always these delightfully silly flashes of old-school puns, and I always wondered which one of them kept popping them in. And now I know!
Now I'm much more excited about him - even if he's not the main driver of dark, if he's co writing black comedies he's got it in him to get real hosed up, and I hope it surfaces soon.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Joel McHale would make sense in his world of clip show and heckling, but then you'll need to find a nerdy sidekick like a BDG or a Sam Reich to help.
Nah, with Joel McHale, you just don't break up the double act. Give him Ken Jeong as an assistant and you've got the safest possible choice for a mainstream adaptation.