Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watch S2 if you’re not feeling S1, it’s absolute gold tier Taskmaster. Jeremy is probably the weak link of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah it does get a lot better. Even in s1 there's a pretty sharp uptick in quality after the first few episodes imho, and s2 is some of the best taskmaster ever (in part because Jeremy was more comfortable riffing with the contestants, though I'm given to understand he actually does more as the Taskmaster than we see and it mostly gets cut in editing). S4 is also very very good. S3 is a little uneven but there's some very good bits in.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i feel like both NZ and AU are in the same tier as the UK, where the question is mostly do they get a cool cast in a particular series rather than whether the baseline quality will be up to snuff

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Does TMNZ get better? I just watched the first episode and it was pretty rough. Their Alex is good, but it felt like their Greg was still very torn on whether he should be doing a Greg Davies impersonation or not
NZ season 2 is up there with UK season 7 for the best series ever in my opinion. Admittedly, Jeremy Wells takes some getting used to and he still mostly comes off as inoffensive at best.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Jeremy never really perfects the art of being the Taskmaster, and it's best just to watch accepting he's a functional part of the show and focus on enjoying the contestants and Paul Williams.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, it really needs saying that season 2 of NZ is easily one of the best seasons of taskmaster. I enjoyed the first season, but it really doesn't compare to season 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pablo Bluth posted:

Jeremy never really perfects the art of being the Taskmaster, and it's best just to watch accepting he's a functional part of the show and focus on enjoying the contestants and Paul Williams.

Paul still occasionally tries to do the Greg and Alex relationship with Jeremy but it doesn't work at all because Jeremy just gives nothing back. But his relationship with the contestants is pretty great, he somehow comes across simultaneously bullied and bullying.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Paul still occasionally tries to do the Greg and Alex relationship with Jeremy but it doesn't work at all because Jeremy just gives nothing back. But his relationship with the contestants is pretty great, he somehow comes across simultaneously bullied and bullying.

I've found some enjoyment that the key to getting him to do banter is to comment on how attractive he is. Otherwise it's like pulling teeth unless he's scolding someone for doing badly and seeking clarification. Greg has an incredible sense of when to be bombastic and mighty and when to pull the curtain back and join in on self-deprecating humor. Jeremy does neither, so it just ends up being a flat host with a lack of enthusiasm or ceremony that such a silly show deserves. The one thing he has going for him is that he exudes quiet confidence, so he does hold authority well enough.

Paul's the best non-Alex assistant tho, really matching that awkward energy while bringing younger charm to it. Great album too.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
So my wife prefers AU’s Tom to Greg or Jeremy.

I just watch the show for its silliness and TMNZ has some of the best tasks ever, it’s really enhanced by the house layout and environment.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neither Tom nor Jeremy bring enough anger to the role.

Nystral posted:

I just watch the show for its silliness and TMNZ has some of the best tasks ever, it’s really enhanced by the house layout and environment.

In the UK show it feels like most of the contestants are at least a little acquainted with each other professionally, in the NZ show it feels like all the contestants went to the same high school and live on the same street.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Big Tom is easily the meanest taskmaster across all versions. Took me some getting used to.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I knew it would be fun taskmaster when he was utterly gleeful at a mass disqualification event in the first episode.

When's S2 again?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Nystral posted:

So my wife prefers AU’s Tom to Greg or Jeremy.

I would prefer an inflatable raft that has "NO" spraypainted on it to Jeremy, but I think Greg is way better than Tom.

And just to chime in with everyone else as long as I'm here: NZ S2 is some of the best Taskmaster that has ever Taskmastered. Just absolute lunacy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

No other Taskmaster can come close to the authority Greg had when he took Acaster to the foot of the stage to chastise him about his outbursts.

https://youtu.be/3lg7rugXxLo?t=14m38s

(14:38)

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 29, 2024

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

theflyingexecutive posted:

No other Taskmaster can come close to the authority Greg had when he took Acaster to the foot of the stage to chastise him about his outbursts.

Either that, or the "you're not a bad guy, Nish"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah this is one of my all time favorite Taskmaster moments, I've probably watched it a half dozen times.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rhod's just like "yep, see how you like having no filter"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leraika posted:

I knew it would be fun taskmaster when he was utterly gleeful at a mass disqualification event in the first episode.

When's S2 again?

Somewhere in May, so not long now!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tonfa posted:

*sobbing, underneath an upturned bed* i don't think i've done this one right

Good thread title candidate imo.

I also quite liked "I wouldn't be much good in an apocalypse" from the first episode.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anything from Joanne in the outtakes, raving about intelligent pigs

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

School Teacher Greg energy : coming down on a student

Raeg posted:

Either that, or the "you're not a bad guy, Nish"
School Teach Greg energy : trying to build up a student.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Paladinus posted:

Big Tom is easily the meanest taskmaster across all versions. Took me some getting used to.

He doesn't really try to be authoritative at all and is just petty and vindictive, but it kind of works. I feel like Assistant Tom also has a slightly different vibe, more of an antagonist or trickster towards the contestants. Also Alex would totally have eaten the popcorn

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Does occur to me that the best TM seasons, NZS2 and TMS7 both have old friends of the Taskmaster in them who are bad at the tasks, but great at taking a piss out of Greg/Jeremy.

Clearly the show needs more best friends on it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Season 3 of Taskmaster AU starts on May 23rd.

For some reason they've reversed the airing order, and will be airing S2 straight after S3, so 20 straight weeks of TMAU.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Senor Tron posted:

For some reason they've reversed the airing order, and will be airing S2 straight after S3, so 20 straight weeks of TMAU.

My theory is that S3’s ended up being stronger, so airing it first will keep audience numbers higher going into the next series.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Senor Tron posted:

Why not just renumber them for airing order?

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Does occur to me that the best TM seasons, NZS2 and TMS7 both have old friends of the Taskmaster in them who are bad at the tasks, but great at taking a piss out of Greg/Jeremy.

Clearly the show needs more best friends on it.

I'd be curious if Roisin would tackle things differently if she was on the show now, most of the time her friendship with Greg had her as the one with the mickey taken out of her - I can only think of the "Old tramp poet" picture prize task where she mined her existing friendship for material.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Tagra posted:

Why not just renumber them for airing order?

For the sake of not renaming the thread, I'm willing to go as far as to redefine Aus S2 as the season that will air next. The line-up for Season 2 is not who we were led to believe would be next, but that's showbusiness. They are going to air two series back-to-back, so we will get Season 3 straight after Season 2, with a line-up that we heard about earlier for some reason.

We'll obviously never know for sure whether they decided to swap them in terms of quality of season, and we'll have to watch them to judge for ourselves. But the competing theory I've heard is that they've chosen to air the series with the more famous cast first, hoping to hook more people in on the format with name recognition then retain them by rolling straight into another series.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Just list the entire cast in the thread title, and if nothing else fits then so be it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

quote:

Anne Edmonds, Jenny Tian, Josh Thomas, Lloyd Langford and Wil Anderson

i'm not australian but the other cast (or at least aaron chen and rhys nicholson) are more recognizable to me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’ve heard of Wil Anderson! He was on The Dollop and Chapo a couple times.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Change it to Aus S2/3 in the title and be done with it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Aus S2/3, but not necessarily in that order.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I was led to believe barbeque was a known effect in australia. I fail to imagine the thread title being improved

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I was thinking the other day how few Welsh people have been on Taskmaster. Didn't expect one to turn up on TM Aus.

Edit: Oh, he's going out with Anne Edmonds. First TM couple? Always thought they could have done that with Elis James and Izzy Sutty.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 1, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Junkenstein posted:

I was thinking the other day how few Welsh people have been on Taskmaster. Didn't expect one to turn up on TM Aus.

Edit: Oh, he's going out with Anne Edmonds. First TM couple? Always thought they could have done that with Elis James and Izzy Sutty.

Victoria Corin-Mitchell says that David Mitchell straight up refuses to ever do the show because he believes his public persona relies on people assuming he’s clever, and he can’t have that assumption dramatically demonstrated to be incorrect.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Nobody thinks David Mitchell is clever except David Mitchell

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

So is it likely that as TMAU wraps up its two oddly timed combo seasons we can jump straight into TMNZ season 5?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone know, is TMAU going to be on the official YouTube channel or am I back to shady options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

eke out posted:

i'm not australian but the other cast (or at least aaron chen and rhys nicholson) are more recognizable to me

Wil Anderson is one of the most famous comics in Australia, and his ABC shows have been some of the highest rating shows.