Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I've not read all the posts in here yet, nor have I even seen the end of s11, I don't think, but Taskmaster (UK) is a genuinely ingenious and enjoyable series and I love it.

Join our cult! Join our cult!

There's a kinda similar Christmas songs task in the Danish version of Taskmaster. One of Stormester's more delightful deviations from the regular format is that they invite the previous season's contestants back for a one-off Christmas special. Their song-based task started by asking the contestants to name something "unchrismassy". Then the main task is revealed: compose the best Christmas tune on the topic they just selected. A real tightrope for the panellist who decided to say Islam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Started my rewatch at series 5 because 1-4 are the censored versions on youtube for some reason. It’s amazing how many tasks I’ve completely forgotten about.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Join our cult! Join our cult!

There's a kinda similar Christmas songs task in the Danish version of Taskmaster. One of Stormester's more delightful deviations from the regular format is that they invite the previous season's contestants back for a one-off Christmas special. Their song-based task started by asking the contestants to name something "unchrismassy". Then the main task is revealed: compose the best Christmas tune on the topic they just selected. A real tightrope for the panellist who decided to say Islam.

I have never heard of anything more Danish in my life.

NZ taskmaster good, I like Paul Williams more than Alex Horne, fight me. Jeremy doesn't hold a candle to Greg though but is inoffensive enough. Good casts.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm up to series 3.

Paul Chowdhry is amazing.

I'm also surprised by Al Murray. I always kind of assumed he was a poundland Jeremy Clarkson but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Liza Tarbuck is one of my least favorite contestants ever. I swear she must have blackmail on Greg because he just throws 5s at her for absolute garbage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he just has a crush on her

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm up to series 3.

I'm also surprised by Al Murray. I always kind of assumed he was a poundland Jeremy Clarkson but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

The Pub Landlord is a character.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm up to series 3.

Granted he is mainly known for being The Pub Landlord but yeah, it's just a character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Remember the Al in Al Murray is short for Alastair. He studied history at Oxford, and was in the Oxford Revue, which is their version of Cambridge's Footlights.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

drunken officeparty posted:

Liza Tarbuck is one of my least favorite contestants ever. I swear she must have blackmail on Greg because he just throws 5s at her for absolute garbage.

This. This is truth.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This. This is truth.

Yep. No idea how she did so well she acted like she hated being there half the time. Drove me nuts.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Insurrectionist posted:

I have never heard of anything more Danish in my life.

NZ taskmaster good, I like Paul Williams more than Alex Horne, fight me...

In defense of the Williams Brothers,

I don't know if I like him better than Alex Horne, but I like his persona. Someone else said he was a knockoff Alex, but they have completely different vibes. Alex is quirky and weird with mostly positive energy where as Paul is a pathetic sad boy in tasks and seems defeated a lot. Yes they are both weird, but weirdness comes in different flavors! :colbert:

Also if you don't get Guy Williams comedic persona and think he's being serious, then you just don't get comedy. He was HILARIOUS. The people's champ? Get out of here with that crap. His not earned grandstanding had me rolling each time he pompously started shouting. How can you not find that persona funny? Also Lee Hart made me laugh with his dry smirking delivery throughout the season.

One thing to note about UKTM is that I want the British comedians to start trying again on the 1st task. I mean in the last episode of NZ, the task was to bring in something you stole and One contestant went around and took pictures with all of the other contestants wives/gfs including the hosts and said she stole their girlfriends. I want that level of commitment back.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yep. No idea how she did so well she acted like she hated being there half the time. Drove me nuts.
I think her task recordings were better than her studio performance, where I felt she had a tendency to put the brakes on discussions rather than ramping them up. But in her defence, she did get Little Alex Horne to sit in a cake.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm on ep 2 of Season 6 and I think it's already my least favourite season so far. Russell Howard has always left me cold, and his smug demeanour in this so far isn't helping his case. Lisa doesn't feel like she's trying all that hard. Tim Vine feels like he's way out of his depth and knows it. Alice I'm enjoying, and Asim I don't have a handle on yet.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.ratingraph.com/tv-shows/taskmaster-ratings-57614/

If you believe imdb; 1-5 maintain a high quality, six drops (s6e3 is the all-time lowest rated episode), seven is back to the level of 1-5, hits a run of three weak seasons, and 11 is finally a return to form.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I'm on ep 2 of Season 6 and I think it's already my least favourite season so far. Russell Howard has always left me cold, and his smug demeanour in this so far isn't helping his case. Lisa doesn't feel like she's trying all that hard. Tim Vine feels like he's way out of his depth and knows it. Alice I'm enjoying, and Asim I don't have a handle on yet.

It’s definitely my least favourite to date. 7 is one of the best though, so you got that to look forward to!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Awesome bit of Taskmaster fan-art has finally reached completion

https://morgangirvin.com/taskmaster-wimmelbilder
Note that there's a coloured version on a carousel with the pencil drawing at the top of that page which you can zoom in properly on to properly appreciate all the detail.

To avoid clashing with Taskmaster NZ, I've rewatched episode 6 of series 4 today, notes on that one:

Best ovine item: forerunner to the fish puns task in Alex's intro here. Hugh finally gets above fifth place, but I think Mel missed a trick in presenting hers here. Imagine if rather than just tediously describing the 19th century characters, she actually had photos ready to go of her recreating them with the wool. Could argue that Lolly's submission came top though a visual element like that, when I was sure that Joe's entry would win Greg over.

Camel: Harsh assessment of Lolly from Greg here - and her A1 route through the task actually does fairly well here. Honestly, I think the blender plan was not realistic and I'm surprised Joe and Hugh both tried it. Mel's solution is rightly rewarded for its creativity, and the reassembled camels is a very nice capper to the segement.

Old bag: Lolly and Noel first again here, both gone with the given prompt: putting the bag over the football. Not to great effect. Until it became clear that there was a time penalty per kick it seemed like a difficult task to score, as there was a strong divide between slow/few kicks and fast/many kicks. A rare occasion on which Hugh triumphs just purely on the merits, rather than finding a loophole.

Mel: She really is the loveliest contestant on the show, isn't she? One of the most memorable individual tasks in all of Taskmaster as well.

Sleeping bag: This task gives rise to some of the funnier banter in the series, Joe on the attack about taking of virginity, and Greg's retort to Noel about flights of fancy. It seems like there should be a smarter way to do this task - obviously Hugh's approach is way too blunt. It does seem amazing that nobody even went so far as to put their hands inside the sleeping bag. Mel's conviction that there was a theme connecting the items seems to have been the genesis of the similar Series 6 task: drawing items inside a box without seeing them, then finding the connection.

Studio task: "Prepare these items for the second part of the task" is a great opener, the kind of thing you can only do once but wish you could do again. It's about the right point in the show for it; the contestants have a bit more of an idea of what Taskmaster is from earlier series, and from sitting through the playback of most of their own tasks. Gives them enough of a sense of what to expect. A variety of responses is what makes this work, and Noel's plan in particular gets enteraining results.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Joe Thomas might be my favorite post-series 5 contestant.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Joe Thomas might be my favorite post-series 5 contestant.

Yeah he's great. You should listen to his episode of the Off Menu podcast if you like him, it's peak Joe Thomas.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
beans task was pretty good

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Has anyone ever gotten a perfect all 5 episode? Or all 1?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Has anyone ever gotten a perfect all 5 episode? Or all 1?

We're still waiting for the perfect episode, from memory the closest anyone ever got was 24/25. Mel from Series Four ended an episode with just 4 points, less than what you'd get for coming last in five tasks - but that was with a five point penalty for eating chocolate in the fishbowls task.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Immediate instinct was Nish because, well, Nish.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The tasks are shown out of order compared to when they were filmed so really three fifths of it is sort of down to Alex (or whoever) choosing to give someone three house task wins or not in a single episode. Then the prize task and live task bookend it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebzilla posted:

The tasks are shown out of order compared to when they were filmed so really three fifths of it is sort of down to Alex (or whoever) choosing to give someone three house task wins or not in a single episode. Then the prize task and live task bookend it.

Eh a lot of the tasks are subjective enough that Alex has no idea how Greg will score them. They've said plenty of times that they aim to put together tasks that go well together in an episode rather than to manipulate point distribution.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

OK, nerdy post incoming: got the proper details on the lowest scores and highest scores

3 points - Mel. As discussed already, this would have been a low but less remarkable score had she not incurred a five point penalty for eating some chocolate.

5 points - Richard Osman in S02E04. I'm as surprised as you are! But it wasn't 5 scores of 1 point, he got 3 in conceal the pineapple, but then DNF on Patatas' rescue, and DQ on the live task (which I honestly thought was winner-takes-all until I checked, because Doc Brown was the only person to score in it).

6 points - Alice Levine in S06E03. Despite being the third lowest score, this is actually the closest anyone has come to five tasks, five last places, five points. Just barely avoided it by beating Tim Vine on identifying baby food.

Joe Thomas was the contestant who came closest to the perfect game in S08E07. Only let down by bringing a bar of soap as his Best Slippery Thing, which came (joint) 2nd to Lou Sander's slide. Katy Wix also finished with a score of 24 in S09E07, 19 of which came from the first four rounds, BUT the live task was Horse or Laminator, with no upper limit on the points on offer. Jo Brand got 13 in the same round, meaning 5 is not a winning score, or even that close to winning!

Other contestants have earned 24+ points, but only with caveats
The most common connection is episodes with six tasks: Tim Vine (26) and Liza Tarbuck (25) in the same episode, Jon Richardson (25), Richard Herring (25), Jessica Knappett (25), Mel Giedroyc (24) and Russel Howard (24). Aisling Bea and Mark Watson got 24 points each in the same episode, but one that effectively contained seven tasks,
The other connection is called appearing in series 2 episode 3 where an incredible number of points were on offer for the live task, getting high scores for Katherine Ryan (30), Richard Osman (27) and Joe Wilkinson (25)

One interesting point with Joe Thomas is that we knew from the first round that he wasn't actually going to have the perfect game. Likewise, Katy Wix's 24 point episode opened with a four point prize. So how many players have ever been "on course" for the perfect game? Josh Widdicombe was the first player to make it to the half-way point with 15/15 points (he then lost the episode to Frank Skinner). Since then, only one other contestant has managed to equal that feat: Charlotte Ritchie in Episode 9 of Series 11.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Series 8 Alex has some fake ponytail put on and was expecting Greg to just ignore it unimpressed like with Alex's gauged ears, but they loving got me when Greg flipped his fake ponytail around too.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Joe Thomas was the contestant who came closest to the perfect game in S08E07. Only let down by bringing a bar of soap as his Best Slippery Thing, which came (joint) 2nd to Lou Sander's slide. Katy Wix also finished with a score of 24 in S09E07, 19 of which came from the first four rounds, BUT the live task was Horse or Laminator, with no upper limit on the points on offer. Jo Brand got 13 in the same round, meaning 5 is not a winning score, or even that close to winning!
It's interesting how it's one of the perpetually confused contestants who came close to a perfect score and not one competent ones. If you haven't listed to it, Joe's appearance on Acaster and Gamble's Off Menu podcast is a pro listen

https://play.acast.com/s/offmenu/ep50-joethomas

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
On Only Connect this week Victoria was wearing some unusual heart shaped glasses the entire episode. Made me wonder if it was for a task about wearing something unexpected in an unusual place, or something similar coming up in this next season.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What if our entire reality is a Task set by a cosmic Taskmaster?

"Make the Biggest Bang and clean it up. Biggest Bang cleaned up wins. You have 15 billion years. Your time starts now."

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

pre:
Invent new names for the creatures in the garden

You may not eat from the Tree of Knowledge

Your time starts now
Podcast is about to watch S04E07, here's some thoughts on that

Chair: feel like Noel really smashed this one, and so Lolly's ill-judged backchat helped restore the balance in this round. About time that one of Hugh's gambles paid off as well.

Dinner: there's a fun little painting behind Alex in this task, don't quite understand it. In the moment I liked Lolly's decision to eat all the sandwiches at the end, but it didn't pay off. I guess the others were multitasking by eating as they went. Hugh with a smart solution on the right side of valid, but Noel has the execution.

Hide: another task I've been looking forward to - "he has already started counting" is a great bit of task writing. This is an Alex showcase as well - just look at the crazed glee on his face as he catches Hugh and Joe. Equally entertaining to watch Alex fail, while Lolly trolls him over the phone. And of course, his genuine embarrassment both in the house and the studio over catching Mel.

Bins: this is a fairly complicated task when you add up all the rules at the start and at each of the five stations. I probably would have gone for German as well. Entertaining to watch it play out, but not much solving to it.

Handshake: feel like Mel and Hugh went for the most elaborate handshake rather than the best, which made this a bit like ringtone dancing mk II. Lolly's went down a different route (very confidently), which I liked more than Greg did. And Joe's went to a really strange place, much more successfully than Noel's.

Live task: good task, seemingly simple, but where you have to reckon with the lack of time and resources given. Not sure if Lolly was intending to depict a semi-peeled banana, but that was the resulting impression I got from her work, which I think earned five points. Can't fathom how Joe got four points for taping two bananas to a pillar at the last minute, but it lead us to...

Three way tie: Joe massively out-thinking Hugh here, Lolly must have been disappointed that her solid route-1 attempt was up against that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like to think that when you're born, the G Man from Half Life appears before you to explain the challenges, trials and tribulations you have ahead of you. And when you die he appears to congratulate you on a job well done, and tells you that you'll be called again for another task soon.

Only the G Man has a beard and he's British. And a much larger man stands behind him watching at all times.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure the larger man is gonna have to take me aside to the back of the studio

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love Teacher Greg.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Taskmaster NZ s2e6 hitting it out of the park again.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The NZ show really, really nails it. I think it's helped by being unable to repeat any of the UK tasks.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It’s as close to the real TM you can get without just more regular taskmaster episodes being released I guess. Certainly better than the U.S abomination.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Abraham Lincoln has to go in the Hall of Fame. That was so loving amazing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It’s as close to the real TM you can get without just more regular taskmaster episodes being released I guess. Certainly better than the U.S abomination.
I'd say it's better than that. IMO it's two series have been superior to UK 10.

Teddybear posted:

The NZ show really, really nails it. I think it's helped by being unable to repeat any of the UK tasks.
A lot of the recent UK tasks haven't ben worth repeating. I suspect it was partly covid but the S10 task concepts in particular missed the mark more than they hit it.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Teddybear posted:

It also helps that they don't really add many rules and conditions to the core task, under the (usually correct) assumption that out of five contestants at least one will just go with the more straightforward, harder approach.