Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The New Year's Treat was really fantastic. Everyone was very into it and I wish we could have a whole series with them.

lol I watched 2023's

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

vanity slug posted:

"Wait, how did they get Sir Mo Farah back for 2024?"

I imagine Alex sending him a picture of a head massager could bring him on for an entire series.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mark Evan Jackson and Andy Daly

Andy Daly is probably already too expensive, but Nathan Fielder as the assistant (and writer) would be amazing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm watching S4 of NZ and Jeremy Wells is finally getting into a groove. Unfortunately, this season just has so so so many "Do an improv sketch; here's the topic" tasks in between some really novel and hilarious tasks.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Snowy posted:

I’m in nyc and just checked but it’s sold out, I’m so sad. No waitlist either 😭

gently caress, lol

I'm in the same boat snowy, wanna try to ride standby?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boxturret posted:

US didn't work with just Alex, so maybe with Alex and Greg.

Then when that doesn't work they'll ship over a bunch of English contestants too.

They'll crack this! Eventually!

Buckle up Brits, we're doing the Taskmaster US conversation again. :getin:

Paul Williams is just as good as Alex imo; I don't think he's intrinsic to the show as a performer, but definitely as a producer. His dynamic with Watts was so weird and forced, probably because Viacom didn't understand what made Taskmaster work. It seems like he was there to add credibility to the format (like Weakest Link or American Idol), where I don't think most Americans really care about the origin, just that the comedy is good (like Whose Line).

I think they can come into a much stronger bargaining position wrt creative control over cast selection and format now that millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of Americans watch TM Prime.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

gently caress, lol

I'm in the same boat snowy, wanna try to ride standby?

Snowy posted:

I’m in nyc and just checked but it’s sold out, I’m so sad. No waitlist either 😭

Here's my move for tomorrow:

They each say "Make sure the person in the beret gets a ticket to the show. Fastest time wins. Your time starts now." and I'm going to hit the surrounding intersections a couple hours ahead of the show.

Based on all the shows I've optimistically bought two tickets for as a single person, I believe at least one lonely person will think this clever enough to hook me up. Thought about doing a sign or jumpsuit or dressing up like Alex, but that's less my style. If anyone wants to join, I will be, uh, the person in the beret.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It worked! About to go in and am ready to destroy this thread with spoilers.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So they truly don't understand that they're popular in America. They sold nearly two hundred tickets in under half an hour and stuffed that tiny venue to the gills.

It's hard to tell how I think this season stacks up, because anything would have been funny with two hundred superfans laughing at it, but the series has the potential to go up against the greats. Also, episode 1 spoiler: one of the tasks involves an egg.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Our boys doing the talk show circuit. Interesting choice to put this much oomf in the U.S. over the debut of the next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsJTS8KldvE&t=1s

There's a rumor that Viacom's distribution rights recently expired, so they're testing the waters for a new TMUS.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Leraika posted:

I genuinely hope people from TM MN get to continue with taskmaster in some official capacity, because they deserve it

That'd be great, but there are only 5 or so people who work in any creative capacity on the main show. NZ has ten writers for some reason, but they're all infinitesimally small productions.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Quoting myself:

theflyingexecutive posted:

Mark Evan Jackson and Andy Daly

Andy Daly is probably already too expensive, but Nathan Fielder as the assistant (and writer) would be amazing.

TM gets to have the creative freedom it enjoys because it's dirt cheap to produce. The contestants are brought in on their free days to do tasks and for five days of studio filming. Even with that super low threshold, Alex will talk about comedians that they aren't able to afford.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Quebec Bagnet posted:

After watching the NZ and Australia seasons that are up on YouTube so far, I feel like the UK version doesn't gently caress with the contestants on an individual level enough. "is good friends with Alex" seems a good way to lull someone into the necessary false sense of security, so hopefully they do something.

The flag-making task was tremendous for this.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I've reversed course on John. I definitely think he's annoying for being so try-hard and not as funny, but Alex and Greg know this so they can make him squirm/sabotage him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

No other Taskmaster can come close to the authority Greg had when he took Acaster to the foot of the stage to chastise him about his outbursts.

https://youtu.be/3lg7rugXxLo?t=14m38s

(14:38)

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 29, 2024