Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
FAQ

Q: Which series should I start with?
A: Season 1.

Q: I want to get a friend/family member into TM which episode should I show them?
A . season 1, episode 1

Q: In which order should I watch the series?
A: 1,2,3,4,5, CoC, 6,7,8,9,10,Xmas,11

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

First clip from S12; I gather it was used in a BAFTA montage.
https://streamable.com/dumrep

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Ron Funches. The saving grace of the US series.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

During the prize task I thought David Correos was going to quickly annoy me but the rest of the episode he grew on me.

Once again I think they're coming up with better tasks than Little Alex Horne. The house is better too. It won't happen but I reckon they ought to find a new house for the UK series.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

Is there a legal way to watch the NZ version in the UK?
Is using a VPN to use the official NZTV streaming service illegal or a civil law contract dispute?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Talking of the latest TMNZ: David was robbed.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yep. No idea how she did so well she acted like she hated being there half the time. Drove me nuts.
I think her task recordings were better than her studio performance, where I felt she had a tendency to put the brakes on discussions rather than ramping them up. But in her defence, she did get Little Alex Horne to sit in a cake.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.ratingraph.com/tv-shows/taskmaster-ratings-57614/

If you believe imdb; 1-5 maintain a high quality, six drops (s6e3 is the all-time lowest rated episode), seven is back to the level of 1-5, hits a run of three weak seasons, and 11 is finally a return to form.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Joe Thomas was the contestant who came closest to the perfect game in S08E07. Only let down by bringing a bar of soap as his Best Slippery Thing, which came (joint) 2nd to Lou Sander's slide. Katy Wix also finished with a score of 24 in S09E07, 19 of which came from the first four rounds, BUT the live task was Horse or Laminator, with no upper limit on the points on offer. Jo Brand got 13 in the same round, meaning 5 is not a winning score, or even that close to winning!
It's interesting how it's one of the perpetually confused contestants who came close to a perfect score and not one competent ones. If you haven't listed to it, Joe's appearance on Acaster and Gamble's Off Menu podcast is a pro listen

https://play.acast.com/s/offmenu/ep50-joethomas

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Taskmaster NZ s2e6 hitting it out of the park again.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

It’s as close to the real TM you can get without just more regular taskmaster episodes being released I guess. Certainly better than the U.S abomination.
I'd say it's better than that. IMO it's two series have been superior to UK 10.

Teddybear posted:

The NZ show really, really nails it. I think it's helped by being unable to repeat any of the UK tasks.
A lot of the recent UK tasks haven't ben worth repeating. I suspect it was partly covid but the S10 task concepts in particular missed the mark more than they hit it.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 12, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If you have a VPN, you can also create an account on the official NZ TV streaming platform with nothing more than email address. This has the bonus that it'll show up in their rating numbers and keep the show going.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I believe that CW mistook it for a Marvel Taskmaster series, buying it before watching it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Finally got round to following up on Aphex and Pablo Bluth's suggestion to listen to Joe Thomas on Off Menu. That 24 hour lamb story was very funny...
I've just realised they did a Christmas follow-up on the lamb story, with Willie Harcourt-Cooze and Joe Thomas both on the podcast.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XrHXehgsIw

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

I guess we need to update the thread title to Taskmaster Series 12 then! Trailer didn't give us much in the way of quotes ("On your marks, get set, task" is the wrong kind of pathetic when out of context). Anything the thread can suggest from earlier seasons?
12: Sit on a Cake
Pre-12: Just open the thread you pussy.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 7, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Seven is probably the peak of Taskmaster so far.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I’ve heard that 9 is kinda universally thought to be the worst because of Jo Brand (seems to want to be there even less) and David Baddiel (does a bad job leaning into being the season’s inept contestant), but I still want to watch it.
The absolute worst are some of the foreign versions that stunk. Everyone loves to poo poo on the US Taskmaster at every opportunity although I watched it and enjoyed Ron Funches performance.

As to OG TM, I think S10 is clearly the low point. Alex did a poor job creating the tasks, then covid badly effected the filming and the studio chemistry suffered.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I believe The CW thought they were getting Marvel's Taskmaster and didn't pay close attention. It's the only turn of events that make sense...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 23, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've been trying to find any S13 line-up leaks on twitter and all the MCU Blackwidow stuff is getting in the way...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm at work so spoiler free reaction to the new episode?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The biggest thing lacking is the outfits. I don't think anyone of this cohort has gone with something memorable.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The norwegian version of Taskmaster isn't afraid to go to dark places. The contestants was asked to bring something that blue, heavy and could fit in a shoe box. One contestant brought a pack of condoms that she bought in december last year and was still unopened.
The NZ has had contestants getting naked more than once wheres I'm sure I recall a UK contestant commenting that during their filming they were warned against it (as in workplace rules protecting production staff). UK NZ has only sailed close to nudity; such as the careful stage management of Little Alex Horne sitting in the cake.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

This is the best season in years.
Overall I have to say I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of all the series; good but not great. It's better than the first C4 series but so far probably a slight drop on 11. Too many tasks are still lacking the effortless brilliance of the earlier series, or indeed what TMNZ is currently coming up with.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCkfa9ygKNU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

3&4 have aired.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They're celebrating tonights episode as the 100th episode. Expect some themed tasks?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I did enjoy watching Victoria watching the ball going in and the dawning realisation that perhaps she should have stopped it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

I haven't watched NZ yet but he seems a bit much. Like I can see him getting annoying very quickly if that's what he's always like.
Having listened to a bit of the podcast I was finding him a bit much, whereas I found TMNZ dished him out in more manageable chunks...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Best prize task in ages...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm sure I've heard there's been last minute prize substituions (either on the podcast or a Little Alex Horne interview somewhere).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvXEwZ6e_po

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_xnVCBGZ4

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 15, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They're on the YT channel of UKTV (the broadcaster that originally commissioned the show and had the rights from S1 to S9) rather than the official TM channel. I guess that's why they're geo-blocked. I can't find them anywhere else.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Never had someone having a literal mental breakdown has so much hilarity.

Oh. Ooooooh. Oh. Oh. Ooooh. Oh. Oh. Oh. Oh. Oooooh.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah, it makes it even more of a shame that David Mitchell doesn't want to do it. Victoria's so similar to him in how she approaches things that I think his worries about being on the show are unfounded.
I reckon it's even less likely he'll do it now. Any itch he might have had has probably been satisfied vicariously by Victoria coming home and going "Guess what I had to do today!", and he probably looks at her final points score and thinks "That'll be me".

Morgana's win now makes it 7-7 across all series for men-v-women. It was 5-1 in favour of men following the Champions of Champions, since when it's been 2-6. Still no left-chair champion.

What do people think of the next lineup? I'm looking forward to Father Dougal McGuire. I have almost no knowledge of the rest – that's not necessarily a bad thing, TMNZ is proof of that.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Alan's monster noise nearly made me black out from laughing, I so wasn't ready.

I guess we get Champion of Champions sometime in the next month?
I assume C4's plan is to have a new year special mini series every year and CoC can take that slot this time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

I have heard that there was a separate call for an audience to record a single episode of Taskmaster after the CoC episode was filmed. So we might even be getting two episodes over the festive period - the CoC and another new year's treat with a mayfly cast.
The original CoC was two episodes. Perhaps We're getting two CoC and a 'celeb special' new year special.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/taskmaster-champion-of-champions-alex-horne-rates-the-contenders/

Little Alex Horne posted:

After the confirmation of a Champion of Champions, Alex said that “a lot of people” have asked him for a Loser of Losers, getting back no-hopers Roisin Conarty, Joe Wilkinson, Paul Chowdhry, Lolly Adefope and Nish Kumar.

“I don’t think we can reward the losers, that’s the only trouble,” says Alex. “You don’t want there to be a precedent set that if you come last, you’ll get put back on.

The Master of Tasks is sacred. No tanking.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

It sounds like he's taking the rankings more seriously than most of the players and audience.
I think he has a point. It's not that everyone needs to attack the show with the seriousness of Ronaldo trying to win kickball. But the show only works if everyone treats the format with a minimum level of respect and earnestness.

Fundamentally the show is a stupid idea and it'll stop working if people start treating it like a stupid idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The first couple of episodes are very much feet finding but it ends strong.