Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
As someone who has been recently watching all of Taskmaster for the first time I appreciate this thread. Strongly considering throwing a taskmaster party sometime in the future, and coming up with my own tasks that fit the style of the show on a generally small budget. Also, just because it's a fun idea:

This week our five contestants have been tasked with finding us the least helpful tool. Whichever tool is deemed least helpful for performing its intended purpose will earn five points, and today's winner will have five entirely new functions that they will be unable to complete.

This week, we've asked them for the most cheerful thing. Whoever has brought in the thing that inspires the most cheer will earn themselves five absolutely lovely, incredible, beautiful points. Today's overall winner will go home with all five things, and presumably, a smile on their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I feel like I have a bunch of different types of task ideas, including scored ones and subjective ones. Some, if they have a speed or score component, have some wiggle room or a second component that adds a twist. For example,

"This task's a haiku.
Write five haikus, about you!
Fastest wins, start now."

The second part of the task is given when they complete the first:

"Now, choose your haiku
Pick the trickiest to guess
Was written by you'".

Then, the taskmaster tries to guess who is whos and judges who was hardest to guess.

I'll keep your feedback in mind however, because I definitely did have a few score based ones with lack of subjectivity. One was a scrabble board and a full set of tiles, and having them compile the highest scoring game they can in five minutes without repeating words.

Another was a timed task where they had to order a meal on doordash with a total closest to their birth year without going over in five minutes. They would try to have the lowest difference from their total to their year (so if they spend 19.56 versus 1985, the difference would be 29) and then secretly the task that would arrive with the meal later was to split everything that came with it (food, napkins, receipt, bag) onto three plates as equally as possible (judged by weight). The difference between the heaviest and lightest plate would be added to their value from the first part of the task and whoever had the lowest score at the end would win the 5 points.

Both felt like they fit the spirit of the show, but since our time will be limited, maybe having only one scored/objective task and three subjective ones would be better. Or maybe it would be enough to say in the first one "The taskmaster will award a bonus point for whoever uses the best adjective to describe the taskmaster on their scrabble board" or "The taskmaster will award a bonus point to whoever has the best presented dish" in the second one.

EDIT: I just had a thought about the scrabble game. I could switch it to be so that all their words should be adjectives about the taskmaster, with the judging being based on how well they were deemed to do that. Then I could have a bonus point instead for the person who earns the highest scrabble score. Reverse it, essentially.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 2, 2021

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Yeah, that sounds good. I guess it also depends if you're both playing the Taskmaster and setting the tasks. The ones I've seen where becoming the Taskmaster is a birthday gift, given by the person who plays the assistant and sets the tasks - that's where it kinda sucks to not give the birthday girl/boy anything to judge. Sometimes it can be fun to have an objective goal but subjective rules, and it's up to the Taskmaster to decide whether you crossed the line or not. However, if you're only doing one "episode" worth of tasks, a disqualification is a much bigger penalty.

Oh no... I'm definitely Alex. What's in my head is that we'd have two Alex-es during the tasks, since we'd want to have one person in the know filming to catch anything important, and the other actually available to assist in the room or to answer questions. Then we'd edit what we can together. I'm picturing way shorter segments than the show because we won't have a bunch of nice dynamic camera angles to cut between and our players won't be professional comedians. It would mostly be a bit of thinking out loud as they read the task, plus maybe Alex would ask them some questions about their approach, followed by quick montages.

Then, we'd make a proper night of it where friends who weren't doing the tasks could come party if they want, but regardless we'd show clips in the living room on a TV for the five involved players. One of the Alex-es (probably not me, since I imagine I'll more be handling getting clips to play and such) plays Alex's role on the show with a taskmaster who wasn't super involved up until that point but knew the five players and what they were getting into. Everyone brings something for a prize task, and they all see how eachother tackled the tasks for the first time, with a nice dinner break followed by a few more prerecorded tasks and finally a live task before the rest of the night splits off to talk about it all and socialize.

Essentially, it would be a shortened mini-episode of the show for us to discuss in a casual setting afterward and have a fun story to tell.

EDIT: I like the "as fast as you can" change. It's very Taskmaster, as in it's similar to the NZ "break the vase" task and at least one other one I can't remember where it was a setup like that.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 2, 2021

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I haven't watched all of NZ Taskmaster yet, and I'm still on season 10 of UK, so thanks for the warning about that article. I just started episode 3 of NZ last night and was surprised to see my "Most useless tool" prize task was essentially used already, without the tool aspect. Whoops.

I am mainly watching the NZ one because of the praise I see it get in the taskmaster community, but so far I really think it's fine at best. There's no season of the UK version I think I've enjoyed less. The tasks themselves seem great and really fun, but I don't much care for their Taskmaster, or Paul Williams take on the Alex role. He's kind of all of the awkwardness and stuntedness without the sort of upbeat optimistic undercurrent of a personality that Alex has. Their taskmaster doesn't really have the same talent to shed light on the ridiculousness of everything and to call funny things into question that Greg does. Typically their conversation about the tasks is kind of awkward and just sort of fizzles out. I've noticed a few times their transition is essentially "We need to move on from this discussion", without any kind of punchline.

The five contestants are pretty good in their own ways (I don't much care for Paul WIlliams' brother who's personality so far is "try too hard", but he does get into it) but not really liking their assistant or taskmaster really puts a damper on the rest of the show.

I'll keep watching it because its still taskmaster, and I do sincerely appreciate the people who devised their unique tasks, but I was kind of expecting more based on the reputation.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Thought of something else I meant to post before - setting your haiku task in haiku form has a really nice double benefit. It's a great bit of flavour to it, and it's also a helpful aid for the contestants. If any of them wonder out loud how many syllables there are in a haiku, you can slip in a "all the information is on the task" there!

Thanks, that was one of the things I was going for!

Also, I just started season 10 of UK taskmaster today. First episode was kinda weird without an audience. It was a bit awkward with some of the in studio banter, they were laughing really hard at things I thought were just kind of funny (the task with the bear and the drinks)

I don't know the comedians' names quite yet but it was a really pleasant surprise to see the actress who played Jen on IT Crowd on there. I'm also having a LOT of trouble with Johnny Vegas' (the one name I did catch since its so... showbizzy) accent and mumbling. He says a lot of things that I'm just not able to catch. Hopefully I get better at picking up on the individual words because he seems like a really fun guy.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Caught up more with New Zealand Taskmaster season 1, and I'm really annoyed that they did a poetry related task where the taskmaster had to guess whose poem was whose. THAT WAS MY IDEA :argh:

Taking Heavy_D's advice about objective vs subjective tasks, we decided to make our haiku task essentially into "write five haikus about yourself as fast as you can" but then that's not scored except for a bonus point for fastest if the taskmaster feels as though it was deserved. Instead, they choose the one that most represents their personality and the taskmaster judges which haiku represents which person best.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
On Only Connect this week Victoria was wearing some unusual heart shaped glasses the entire episode. Made me wonder if it was for a task about wearing something unexpected in an unusual place, or something similar coming up in this next season.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Regardless, I hope the spelling mistake in the title makes it into the new one, at least in spirit.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I was talking it over the other day and out of the UK seasons I’ve seen (all of them except 9, which isn’t on YouTube anymore), the only one that I enjoyed a little less was 6. The contestants didn’t really gel with each other, which I think would have been fine otherwise, but Liza Tarbuck sitting in the middle and rarely looking like she wanted to be there really sucked the energy out. Hell, I even liked Russell Howard for the first time!

I’ve heard that 9 is kinda universally thought to be the worst because of Jo Brand (seems to want to be there even less) and David Baddiel (does a bad job leaning into being the season’s inept contestant), but I still want to watch it.

I actually really liked Liza Tarbuck. I liked how silly and chaotic she was willing to get in comparison to someone like Jo. Honestly, no matter the season, there was always one or more people to root for, which was nice. Even in 9, I really liked Rose, plus Katy was good and to a lesser extent, Ed. I would actually say 8 was probably my least favorite overall, and I kinda thought that was something I've heard a lot from others.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
It's not available in the US at least.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
That's awesome. If you tweet it at Alex I bet you'd get retweeted. He likes to feature fan projects like that.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
According to a reddit post from someone that went to see Alex Horne's live show, he was injured in the eye filming an upcoming season of Taskmaster. I'm glad that if he's performing still he's probably well enough that it wasn't too serious, but it sounds pretty lovely:
https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/rmbdm3/alex_injured_during_filming/

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've been watching old Taskmaster a lot because over the next few weeks I'm filming my own (wish me luck!) and so youtube has been throwing me recommendations of outtakes. I had never seen this one, and I love everything about it so much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfYIiK6ePY

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Alex Horne just retweeted this, and this video was incredibly well edited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgDfl6Icrqg

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I don't have a great suggestion for the Taskmaster, but when I think of the assistant I think Andy Daly.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They had a task sort of like that in the UK version, although I forget which series it was.

It was the bathtub task in season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljLBbpnkK2c&t=1400s

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've been working on my own version of Taskmaster with some friends (posted about it a while ago in here and got some good suggestions). One of our tasks is a weird one involving a "Jury" and it's supposed to have a significant number of people that don't know anyone involved. If there's anyone in this thread that wants to be a part of it, you'd need about 15 minutes or so and a gmail account (to fill out a google form). Just let me know and I can DM you details.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I am known as a particularly harsh judge of just about anything

It's not so much judging things that way. You'll be watching a video and guessing what the contestants are trying to convey. It's basically the first bit of a running task, where parts 1 and 2 are judged with good ol' fashioned percentages and numbers, and part 3 is judged by the Taskmaster exclusively.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for all the interest, sent the pertinent info to everyone who asked.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sure! Is this going to be videoed like TM Minnesota?

Yes, but it's not going to be for a while. Currently we're editing all the tasks and intros and reading and such together. It's going to take a long time.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just make sure the studio audio is tight.

That's actually one of our biggest hangups. We don't have 5 lavalier mics for the contestants, we only had two. That worked well when it was during the tasks but for the final party everyone might be on handhelds and I worry that people will be mumbly or not speak into the mic or change volume and blow them out. It's gonna be... tough.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I could have sworn they said it was 2 episodes before.

I remember reading a while back that due to scheduling they couldn't do two this time and it was always one. People were pretty disappointed since the first one was two.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think it would be fun for the "design your own task" task to return but in a different form. Let's say you have five contestants. Whoever films first, you give them, and them only a task that says:

Design your own task, and then complete it! All of the other contestants will also be asked to complete your task, and the task will be scored according to your rules.

The other contestants will be asked to guess which task you designed. For each contestant you fool, you'll earn a bonus point. For each that you do not, they will earn a point.

Then during the final episode, (not the live task) you play that person reading and opening their solo task, and have the four others write down which task it was that the contestant designed. Then, you reveal what task it was. Recap whether the designer won the task or not. Then, one at a time reveal the other four contestants guesses.

Thinking about the format, this might not actually work super well due to the fact that they switch out the audience between episodes. You'd have to re-play the task again for the new audience and then cut that out of the episode. But I do think there's something there, and its a well they could definitely go back to again.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
https://twitter.com/AlexHorne/status/1540636991108382722

I just kinda wanted to brag about this here because I love this show and this guy so much.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 25, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
For some reason there is a repeat outtake in the middle, and its the longest one. That confused me, but the rest of it was really great.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The thing that stood out to me with the first episode of TM:NZ Season 3 is that I think NZ might actually have better task concepts than recent UK.

UK has had some really good concepts in the most recent season, I would reckon. One of the best concepts in my opinion ended up being one of my least favorite tasks in execution... the one where they had to hold a dramatic meeting with themselves. The high five one was quite interesting in execution. And who can forget the shoes?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The simplicity of the Pi task makes me think it might've been a possible tiebreaker task that got elevated. They were pretty strict with the definition of recite too since it was "from memory" so no writing stuff down or w/e.

I think the fact that they used the word recite was the task. Essentially, I was unaware that recite specifically refers to "from memory" until I looked it up after. I assume that was the entire gimmick, that people that think recite means "to say out loud" are screwed.

Of course, I still would have won, only because in 4th grade we had a pi poster that wrapped around the math room and when I was bored after quizzes and such I would just stare at the walls and try to remember as much as I could.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Hey, I posted about this a while back but I'm working on my own version of Taskmaster. We're filming the live show portion sometime in September, and I wanted to check one last time if there was anyone left who wanted to be part of the jury for one of our tasks. I'm editing the videos for the results of that task together this week, and I figured this was the last chance to get any stragglers in. It involves watching a 10 minute video of our contestants, playing a guessing game, then filling out a google form, so approximately 15 minutes.

At the moment we have 32 responses and I was hoping for a minimum of 50 (since each contestant has two entries, that would give us a nice percentage out of 100)

Anyone who's interested can DM me or post here and I'll get you the details.

Also, just so I'm not only spamming the thread with the same request over and over... here is my final edit of the credits we shot to kick everything off. It's missing a title since I'm not sure exactly what to call it yet. Maybe "J + J's Taskmaster" since both myself and the Taskmaster's names start with J. I know there was a pretty popular Taskmaster Minnesota, but I didn't want to copy them exactly with our state. I'm pretty proud of the editing, especially since we only had seven tasks to choose from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkECNfwZngY

EDIT: Added the final title in, switched out the video.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 3, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Flux Wildly posted:

2x jurors here as my wife is a big TM fan and was up for ‘doing something nerdy for the internet’ - really fun and I’m impressed with what you’ve got brewing here - must be quite a lot of work to put together.

Is the finished result going up on YouTube then?

Eventually yes. I have spent many many hours (at least a hundred, probably closer to two) filming and editing all this together so my nightmare scenario is that we all suck on the live day of since none of us are comedians and I have this terrible episode of Taskmaster with really good amateur production values. I'm doing my best to prepare as hard as I can to sort of lead things from the Alex chair with dumb jokes, an episode structure, and banter and directions to steer the conversation in, but we only get one shot at this.

I also can't decide if the Taskmaster should see the videos in advance to prepare his own notes. I have watched some interviews with Alex and he said that in the first few seasons Greg would watch them in advance but then after season 3 or so he stopped doing that so his reactions would be more genuine and he found he could take notes and use prepared notes from Alex/The Editors for any real outliers or special things to ask about. I am definitely planning on giving the Taskmaster notes but seeing as neither of us are professionals I am thinking maybe I show them to him once in advance so that on the day of he can focus more on details and not on what's actually happening.

Lastly, we have not had a chance to test our live task because it's kind of expensive and complicated, so for all I know its going to suck as well. We planned for something hopefully chaotic and messy, but it all depends on how its approached by the teams (It's our only team task).

Here is our live task, if you guys wanna give me feedback on if you think it sucks, let me know:
Our final in home pre-filmed task is the "grocery list" task. They are given 9 different objectives for a grocery list (such as "something that must stay refrigerated" or "something that comes in a package of at least six individually wrapped items") and seven slots for the grocery list. Their goal is that they had to fill in the grocery list with seven items that meet all nine requirements and have it come out to as close to 15 dollars as possible.

Anyways, what they didn't know is that in addition to being a task, it's also the setup for their live task.

The night before the live show I'm gonna go out and buy the items on their list to get receipts to know who got closest to 15 bucks and score them on that... but then when they go do the live task, they will be presented with grocery bags. Each bag will have all of their items, and the teams will be asked to split them as evenly as possible as they can between two trays by weight. Whichever team has the closest weight between their two trays wins.

Because some of the items are liquids and sauces and vegetables we hope that this gets kinda messy.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 2, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sighence posted:

Nice idea overall. The standard two-parters are much more direct (make a sandwich, eat said sandwich). There's also a potential for food waste which I'm not about to go on a crusade for here but I should bring up.

If you're feeling especially evil and/or less wasteful, you could give them part three: eat everything edible on a pan. If they see it coming (or don't), great payoff for them and us.

I had to assure them in advance there would be no weird or gross eating in any of the tasks, and one of the requirements for the grocery list was "non edible" so people put things like tape, paper towels, clorox wipes, and rat poison. So, unfortunately that last bit wouldn't work.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

For the live task do they have to split every item across both trays? It's one thing to have a container of milk that you put on one tray, it's more chaotic if you have to put at least some of said milk on the other.

We went back and forth on this. It's definitely better that way for spectators, hands down. But because someone wrote rat poison I was kind of worried. I don't know what rat poison is like but I'm guessing a powder or something crumbly and having that potentially become airborne seems really really bad, so I was assuming they'd definitely need to leave it in the packaging.

I'm also pretty sure rat poison is not cheap, as a side note. Just looking up some now it's gonna be 15 bucks by itself I imagine.

Maybe I can tell them we'll make an exception for the poison, or tell them that at least one non-edible object must be on each tray since one team has two and the other team has three.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Actually, at this point I have exactly 50 entries so I think I'm gonna stop. For the record, for my live task, after discussion here with you guys I am going to Start the trays with the inedible items on them, and the rest of the groceries in bags. The task will state that the inedible items can't be tampered with or removed from their trays. Because no two people had the same inedible items, the two trays will be different weights. Then, everything in the bags will need to be split to make the trays as equal in weight as possible, and every item must exist somewhere on each of the two trays. Hopefully this leads to messy chaos with splitting all of the food.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think that generally in interviews Alex has said its mostly him and one other lead producer/director/editor? who come up with the task ideas. The other guy is whoever is in charge of determining how to present and shoot the task if I recall correctly, which is why he has so much input. and sometimes comes up with tasks as well.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Paladinus posted:

With how simple some other tasks were, the best buddy arc was a real masterstroke. Not something you could copy one to one, but something Alex could draw inspiration from, certainly.

I really wonder if they had intended it to be a three episode thing (make the friend in one episode, then shoot the arrow in the next episode, then hide the body in the third) but then realized that the live audience not seeing the creation wouldn't realize the reveal of them having to shoot an apple of of the head being as good. The body one works on its own because the task is so great but the apple one was weak on its own without the reveal that it was the friend they made.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Hey, does the wording for this below task seem ok? This is for our live task, so while it might be a bit awkwardly worded, but I'm going to be reading it aloud and I want it to be super duper clear to the contestants what they have to do:

Split your groceries amongst your team’s two trays. At least some part of every grocery must be on each tray.

You may NOT remove, open, or tamper with the non-edible items that are already on the trays.

The team with the two trays that weigh closest to one another wins.

You have 100 seconds. Your time starts when the whistle blows.

There is a bonus point for best plating on one of your trays.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sighence posted:

It can work. The easy loophole is below, I don't know if that's intended though and it sounds like maybe you thought about that already but I can't tell from just the description. Must all of the grocery be on the trays? Or can they just put the smallest piece of each grocery on each tray, toss the rest, and job done? The counter-loophole would be to make the preplaced non-grocery very uneven between team trays.

That was indeed intentional, and the thing you mentioned is bound to happen anyways because the groceries in the bag and on the tray were from a list they made in an earlier task and everyone made very different lists

EDIT: As for the wording of the task, I like your wording better Heavy_D.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 13, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Taskmaster comes back on the 29th:
https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1570064960985628674

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

For anyone who can't wait for the new season to start, good news, there's 380 unofficial episodes you can read all about,

*LINK*

To be fair, a lot of the episode titles do work pretty well for this kind of thing.

Might wanna mark that as NSFW. I had no idea what that was from the URL.

Also, we filmed our live portion yesterday. It went pretty well I think, so long as our audio and video turned out.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 26, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
John has made me laugh out loud with strategic one-liners a few times in the studio. "From the maker of Peas" got me real good, and so did something he said this episode made me bust up as well, but I can't remember what exactly.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Maybe the bit about getting ducks from a pharmacy?

I watched it again. It was his "I don't know, I never read it" line. Fantastic response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

See if this works, wouldn't be surprised if it gets pulled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb60rANE5Yw

Thank you for this, it was great.