Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know we had a Taskmaster thread! I started watching it a couple of years ago and am absolutely obsessed. It is easily my favorite non-scripted show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kazmeyer posted:

There's so many great shows that come out of just jamming a bunch of British comedians together and filming the results. 9 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, the Big Fat Quiz of the Year, and Would I Lie To You are other dear, dear favorites of mine.

Highlights you can look for on Youtube:
Countdown, carrot in a box game or pretty much any best-of involving Sean Locke or Joe Wilkinson
Big Fat Quiz, Mr Blobby, "bad dong," Richard Ayoade's mental breakdown
WILTY anything involving Brian Blessed or Rhod Gilbert or frankly any bit where Lee Mack is trying to defend a lie

(There's acres more, these are just my personal favorites.)

Yeah I've watched a ton of all of these but Taskmaster is still my favorite by a mile.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I've been watching old Taskmaster a lot because over the next few weeks I'm filming my own (wish me luck!) and so youtube has been throwing me recommendations of outtakes. I had never seen this one, and I love everything about it so much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfYIiK6ePY

I love how uncomfortable Alex is with this.

I don't know if y'all have seen it but this is Taskmaster-adjacent and a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQXreI76q0

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is it too much of a stretch if I pump "I Literally Just Told You" here on the basis that it's a funny English gameshow and Alex Horne was on episode 3? (I don't see a better thread for it and thought other TM folks might appreciate it)

Episode 2 had me hurt myself from cry-laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwKmt4nZ1dc

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it, but as someone with a garbage memory that constantly causes problems it makes me very tense.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're not really panel shows, but Travel Man and Gadget Man have a bunch of TM alums as well.

Including The Man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsXNY0pwJxA

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay but I'm absolutely going to imagine them loving first

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Oh god, Phil Wang's outfit:stonk:

The pendulum does draw the eye.

And yeah, season 7 is probably my favorite.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Everyone hates on season 6 but I still really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite season overall, but it's still got some great moments. In particular Liza's solution for "do something special for the Taskmaster" is one of my all-time favorite moments from the show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Seven has two Rhod Gilbert moments which cause me to believe he is the greatest UK contestant (the siren and the prize task).

I loved Rhod so much because he showed up to play an entirely different game called How Can I Make Them Regret Inviting Me and he was playing that game to win.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We just started Taskmaster NZ Season 2, and by sheer coincidence I'm finally listening to Til Death Do Us Blart. I was absolutely not ready for the fact that the Guy from TM was the same Guy from Death Blart.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seven eps into NZ season 2 and I'm convinced David is a five year old who has magically been transformed into an adult in some kiwi version of Big.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Season 10 was quite awkward because of all the COVID stuff they had to do, but I really liked a lot of the contestants. In particular Katherine Parkinson was a lot of fun to watch because she seemed like a genuinely insane person or possibly an alien who's only been on earth for a couple of weeks and is still trying to get the hang of it.

Mawan looks so much like his brother that when he popped up on Station Eleven I instantly said "that has to be Mawan's brother".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ooooh, I hadn't seen this live Taskmaster thing before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWZEg9B-GI

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

The whole thing used to be on youtube. I'm not sure where you'd find it now. I know that Alex Horne actually introduced the concept at an Edinburgh festival with just his friends doing the tasks, but I'm not sure if that is even recorded anywhere to find.

The person who posted that clip has posted another, so maybe they're doing the whole thing in bits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxQDa2RGaw

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Terry Crews.

Hell yeah.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Dunno if you were here last time it came up in the thread (it comes up pretty regularly) but most people ended up agreeing on Marc Evan Jackson being a pretty great idea for Taskmaster.

He'd be great but I'd still go for Paul F Tompkins as my top choice. I can really see him delivering the cheerful sadism the role requires.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i agree - there is a hesitancy in american television for comedians to embarass themselves to the level necessary for something like taskmaster. like in japan the most famous comedians still take regular doses of humiliation, eating a bit of humble pie is acceptable in many other countries, but in america it seems like more famous performers have a level of dignity which must be maintained by them not getting embarrassed. i think roasts are the closest formal humiliation sessions and those aren't very popular. if you're going to see a show on american television where people have to do gross or embarrassing things, you're more likely to see absolute randos doing the tasks instead of known comedians

I think if you started working your way down the list of people who have done Drunk History sessions you'd have a pretty good start.

Which raises an interesting contrast: most of the British version of Drunk History sucked rear end because the narrators were far too sober, polished, and joke-y.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MisterZimbu posted:

I don't recall much of Tarbuk "not giving a poo poo" considering she tended to knock it out of the park more often or not. With that said though she definitely came into the task, did the job without getting flustered, came out with 5 points, which doesn't make as much for good comedy TV.

Still, she made Alex sit in a cake. S-tier contestant for that alone.

Tarbuck wasn't always the funniest dialog-wise but the cake is my favorite thing that's ever happened on Taskmaster.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sudden Javelin posted:

how else would you learn that Rosalind is a loving nightmare?

Yeah the musical tasks are a mixed bag but they've brought some real gems.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Chris' response to the cement mixer task was probably the hardest I've laughed in months. It would have been a funny scene even if the thing had rotated slowly but it was made twenty times funnier by the fact that it was clearly right on the edge of being dangerous and was scaring the hell out of both of them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leatherhead posted:

To the extent everyone is sort of associated in posterity with one specific task (Joe and the potato, Liza and the cake, etc.) I feel like the sausage catch might well be Chris's.

NO WEH!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Eventually they'll go the Drag Race route and start doing crossovers between the different world Taskmaster shows.

Also I can't recall if this has been posted here but it's Greg and Russell and it's fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQXreI76q0

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually I just checked and I myself posted that same video in this thread five months ago. I swear I'm not currently Päntsdrunk.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow I hadn't heard of these. They're great!

"I've got a lemon" holds up lemon
"Way to go Matt, we knew you could do it"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is this new? I hadn't seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuTYiHUCbKQ

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

People say the Glaswegian accent can come across as very aggressive: I would contend that the West Lothian one has the edge over even it. Fern sports a particularly fine example of it.

I have high hopes for her having a rager at Dara on a team task, or Alex when he's being unhelpful, she comes across as very direct and not one to suffer bullshit or evasiveness.

Just in that interview with Alex they posted today she keeps sounding like she's going to start looking for a bottle to smash over his head.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

She is so jolly and her voice so sugar-sweet, and then she says something incredibly cutting, and it's like a razorblade hidden in candyfloss, all the more startling for how unexpected it is. I do like her, she's always such fun on these types of shows.

Yeah I love the disconnect between what she says and how she says it. She also has this great ability to convey the impression that she has no idea what she's doing while doing something brilliant.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

I was nearly crying with laughter when the final task was making the host say a specific word with a question and the word was helicopter

Dara turned so red from laughter after Fern's contribution that I was concerned for his health

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dragonstoned posted:

I can't get into TMNZ because I'm not a huge fan of Jeremy Wells. He's a news/current affairs person here and lacks the "angry teacher energy" that Greg has (and absolutely no where near as funny with the banter either.)

I don't hate Wells as taskmaster but he's definitely the weakest part of the whole show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

I like Munya, and feel he got most unfairly scored for both Smooth Rupert and his rap.

Smooth Rupert was absolutely robbed.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Extremely mild suggestive spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ipPxYBzNE

Alex compares Greg and Dara to two rutting stags and implies that there's a huge upset coming

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I still think about mike and his piles.

“It’s an absolute casserole down there”.

That sentence will haunt me till I die.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DurosKlav posted:

I think I'm one of the few people who liked Daisy.

I liked Daisy too. There's not a single season I haven't really enjoyed, but I do agree with the general consensus that 7 was probably the best. Every single one of those contestants was a different kind of perfect. My favorite individual contestant would probably either be Wozniak or Correo though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

itry posted:

It has its moments. I wouldn't say it's bad. Maybe not as memorable as S2.

Yeah same. S2 set an incredibly high bar, S3 was always going to be a step down.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Great finale, loved the season. My favorite bit of the episode was probably Fern's rollercoaster of emotions when she tried and failed to eat a plastic grape.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jenny has several times now put me in mind of genderswapped Brick Top

I said this to my wife like ten minutes into episode 1, glad to hear I'm not the only one who sees it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

The Kiwi accent was really not bad, even if Greg didn't get it.

It was so kiwi that I don't know how he missed it though, the wife and I were both like "oh well this is a gimme" and then he completely blew it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I have no clue how I would imitate Mae's walk. Let alone how I would make a comedy bit out of a walk that is not especially odd or memorable.

Their frequent look of earnest concern bordering on mild panic is about the only thing that comes to mind, but that's not really a "walk" per se.

That just reminded me of their incredibly confused expression when Alex spoke in their voice. We had to pause the TV for a while to finish laughing after that one.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

I really don't like the idea of taskmaster junior but I really like the idea of Little Mike Wozniak. Conflicted.

Same on both counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On 6 I agree both with Tarbuck being great and with having a bit of a thing for Alice Levine. In particular 6 has the cake sitting scene which is my favorite thing that has ever happened on Taskmaster.