Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Judi Love is The Bullshit Queen Supreme, whatta woman.

Seems like this cast hit the ground running, strong first episode. Great to see them all sitting close together and with a live audience too, it really makes such a difference to the energy in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

When’s the last time someone really tried to cheat at a task? Full on hiding it I mean, Tim Key and Dave Gorman style.

Mawaan in Series 10 was a Sneaky Pasta Snake - he realised in the "Fit Spaghetti in the Grapefruit" task that Alex would not be weighing the fruit, but be weighing the pasta left over, and sneakily removed a lot of it from the task area.

He just neglected to dispose of it properly, and they found a lot of spaghetti in the bin later.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Paladinus posted:

It's the second desecrated church used for a task for no particular reason. Alex appears to have some sort of a fascination with them.

We have a lot of them in the UK, sometimes they get converted to housing, or into secular community halls that can be hired out for a few days. There's one near me that's now a theatre/restaurant/pub, it puts on an event called "A Play, A Pie and A Pint" every week where you get...exactly that. It's such fun.

(Pedantry alert: it's deconsecrated for a place of worship being officially changed from religious to secular use, desecrated is when a place of worship gets wrecked or spoiled by invaders.)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Bridget Christie forlornly wandering the gardens banging a saucepan with a spoon, then giving up on life and collapsing into a pile of black bin bags is a real 2022 post-pandemic mood, I must say.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

A curiously female body-part focused episode of Taskmaster tonight, from Bridgets' Amniotic Fluid Hook story, to her baking little breasts on a milk island, and then Sophies' startling recreation of "L'Origine du Monde" (NSFW) in butter, broccoli and strawberry laces.

Also startling: Bridget being the lone voice of practicality and sanity in the team task.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Heavy_D posted:

Firstly, I should say that as soon as we started naming people I immediately reverted into No More Jockeys mode there. But yeah, I think most fans have a list of people we think would be good for future series - including people who probably wouldn't want to do it, or people that we didn't think the show was likely to approach. Bridget was on my list, but I thought she fell into that latter category. Happy to be proved wrong!

Here's an incomplete (but still quite long) list of people I still hope to see:

Josie Long
Lucy Porter
Jessica Hynes
Maeve Higgins
Richard Aoyade
Limmy
Izzy Suttie
Sanjeev Bhaskar
Chris Addison
Matt Berry
Craig Charles
David O'Doherty
The actor Kevin Eldon
Sarah Kameela Impey
Michaela Coel
Tony Robinson

Limmy got rather exasperated by people telling him to go on Taskmaster on his Twitch stream: there's a reaction clip on Youtube somewhere. I think he is utterly over the UK television comedy circuit in general these days.

A lot of comedians who prefer more scripted things on stage and screen would really not care for Taskmaster, I think. David Mitchell has obviously ruled himself out, I think his old partner Robert Webb would feel much the same way, as would people from your list like Richard Aoyade, Jessica Hynes and Michaela Coel.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wafflecop posted:

Do a Big Brother alumni season - Jon Tickle, Brian Dowling, Alison Hammond, Davina and Rylan. Team task can be the former contestants on one team Vs Rylan and Davina

I don't think Davina would touch this with a bargepole, but Rylan was great on the New Years Treat, I'd have him back for a full series. And Alison Hammond would be an absolute hoot on Taskmaster: whatever she does, she does 100%, without fear or forethought.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Heavy_D posted:

Ardal's Swedish drinking song was another excellent moment. Given that task and the first live task of the series, I now believe that they asked all the contestants their language proficiencies before the series started filming; presumably nobody claimed any Swedish ability, and everyone claimed rudimentary French (for counting).

I liked the way you could actually hear a "clunk" and a "whirr" as the memory of the drinking song was accessed and loaded from Long Term Storage in the recesses of Ardals' brain.

The tongue task was a little bit nasty, but I worked in a nursery when I was younger, no amount of spit will ever gross you out again after you have spent 10 hours a day in a room full of teething babies

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Yeah, Bridget was fascinating to watch because she absolutely wanted to play within the rules, but she just cannot function on that basis.

I don't want to diagnose someone on the basis of a very silly TV show, but remember the episode where part of the task was "don't take the fishtank out the room" and Bridget read that aloud, in no way registered any of the information, and immediately ran out of the room with the fishtank?

Yeah, I got a message from a relative of mine who is a 38 year old woman recently diagnosed with ADHD, saying "That's what living in my head is like! That's ADHD in women! That's why I once left my child at the Tesco meat counter!"

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Michael McIntyre
David Walliams
Jason Manford
Ricky Gervais
Brendan O'Carrol

There, I don't think you could get worse than that. A whole bunch of comedians whose comedy was tired and painfully dated 15-25 years ago (or 50 years ago in the case of Mrs Browns Boys), and who still inexplicably get primetime BBC/ITV/Netflix shows.

(...I didn't add James Cordon because he's never coming back to the UK, you took him, America, we're not taking him back, nope, can't hear you telling me anything different...)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

There's one task you're really going to enjoy

Poor Ed. In the studio post-mortem of that task he genuinely had a haunted air about him that makes me think this will be a topic for his therapist in a year or two. Hilarious, but awful.

Liza was amazing though: I think she and Mell Geidroyc are my favourite contestants of all time. So boundlessly cheerful and mental.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Golbez posted:

Fern Brady has maybe the sexiest accent I have ever heard.

People say the Glaswegian accent can come across as very aggressive: I would contend that the West Lothian one has the edge over even it. Fern sports a particularly fine example of it.

I have high hopes for her having a rager at Dara on a team task, or Alex when he's being unhelpful, she comes across as very direct and not one to suffer bullshit or evasiveness.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

After two episodes I don't think I'm really getting John Kearns' approach to this at all.

Like, I found Nishs' angry, chaotic ineptitude very funny, and Paul Chowdhrys' dry, dazed ineptitude quite funny, but I'm just not finding Johns' poor attempts and lack of particularly amusing banter in the studio funny at all so far? I think I'm missing something about him.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

itry posted:

Sarah always seems so cheerful.

She is so jolly and her voice so sugar-sweet, and then she says something incredibly cutting, and it's like a razorblade hidden in candyfloss, all the more startling for how unexpected it is. I do like her, she's always such fun on these types of shows.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Phigs posted:

He's like a gray man though. My mind just slides off him when he's not doing anything interesting so he doesn't annoy me.

He was alright in the sabotage task, but it would have been very hard for anyone to *not* be good in the sabotage taks, it was set up so exquisitely by the production team.

In the studio I think he's rather poor. Greg and Dara are actively lobbing him easy setup-lines for jokes, or opportunities for him to fire a witty comback at them, and he just sort of sits there quietly and shrugs. And I have tried to see if I like him in other things, but he properly set up my hackles on 8 out of 10 Cats too, with his wig and teeth, so his comedy just isn't for me. Hey, comedy is subjective after all!

I'm loving Dara and Sarah though, and Fern is great, and wonderfully off-kilter in her responses to Greg. Munya taking the "Ed Gamble/Nish Kumar" approach to the throwing task and not changing his approach in the slightest despite its' evident failings was very amusing too!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leatherhead posted:

This is also the most I've ever enjoyed Sara - I usually see her as a totally fine filler presence on panel shows but something about Taskmaster's politely restrained antagonism really works for her.

She really suits the format: her style of very sweetly voiced passive aggression is perfect. ("I didn't ask for an opinion, just a time frame", or "Oh, for children" when Munya talked about his PS5)

I hope she gets to really unleash that disguised acidity on Alex at some point.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

What I love about Fern is that seems to be genuinely bewildered that she has to expend mental and physical energy to do tasks on a show called Taskmaster.

Every time she gets given a task she reads it, then roars "WHAAAAAT" in the most belligerent manner possible, as if she had been expecting a nice gift certificate to a restaurant inside the envelope instead.

I love her. I love Dara too, and their dynamic is so deliciously weird. I like Munya, and feel he got most unfairly scored for both Smooth Rupert and his rap. Sarah kind of broke my heart a wee bit this episode, with the singing revelation: I think Greg was a bit broken by it too for a few moments.

(I have now accepted I will never get John Kearns, I find his blank ineptitude neither funny nor endearing and have decided I can now safely ignore everything he does on this show)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

thehustler posted:

We knew the chap from Ghosts was in already but I can’t remember how we knew. Anyone?

Someone posted a photo of him and a couple of the others out filming (I think on a boat?) and people put two and two together.

It was a very strong final episode, I felt, and a very worthy winner.

Not my favourite series overall, as I never really got the John Kearns love (I found his ineptitude grimly irritating and thought he was bafflingly poor at the studio banter, but hey, comedy is subjective, after all, glad other people enjoyed him). I did like Fern though, and I have found a new appreciation for Sarah Millican. I loved the way she could say such cutting things in such a sweet tone, it cracked me up.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Finally watching Season 9, episode 2 and Jo Brand has already given up.

I think them softening the butter in the microwave broke something small but important in Alex Hornes' soul.

I mean, people had psychologically damaged him before (Liza Tarbuck and the cake, Rhod Gilbert being a general lunatic) but never before had any contestant expressed so much sheer weary disdain for the very ideas of Competition and Effort as Jo and David. It was amazing.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Alhazred posted:

But she is human? The task where she's supposed to make a song just sounds like random vowels strung together.

In one of her stand-up shows she calls herself "an intelligent woman trapped in a Scottish accent”.

Her voice is pitched a fair bit lower and raspier than the voice of average young woman, and she is from Bathgate in west Lothian. It's a small-town, slightly run-down bit of Scotland between the bigger population hubs of Falkirk, Edinburgh and Glasgow. It has taken the harshest and most impenetrable elements of all accents and mashed them together. The Lothian accent is not a very popular one, not the sort you will hear very often on TV, even in Scotland itself (save for on the news).

I live less than 25 miles from where Fern was raised and my accent is significantly different again to hers. Hell, even five miles down the road from me the accent switches a fair bit.

Irisi fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 11, 2023

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Phigs posted:

Ed Gamble was born to express exasperation for our amusement.

If you could find a way to wire Ed Gamble up to the National Grid, his exasperated rage at Baddiel could power the whole country for years, they'd be paying us to use electricity.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

3 of them looking very apprehensive, Kiell Smith-Bynoe disassociating himself from the whole thing, and Jenny Eclair giving strong "Liza Tarbuck making people sit on cakes" naughty energy in that picture, I like it.

Taskmaster Junior seems a little...like it could either be a little dull if the adult judges/assistants are too nice, or veer into cruelty if they maintain their stern persona. Dealing with small children is a very different thing to dealing with comedians, especially when the kids have no experience being filmed.

Of course, this is all leading up to what Alex Horne really wants, which is to be presenting a rebooted version of Bruce Forsyths' Generation Game.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wungus posted:

This is without a doubt my favorite moment in all of Taskmaster. There's so many fantastic moments, but the way Katherine Ryan says I chaanged iiiit is loving sublime

It's definitely up there in the Top Ten, especially since Greg has worked with Katherine before on various panel shows, and knows perfectly well that she has no fear, no boundaries, no morals, and therefore whatever is about to happen might be absolutely horrifying. The look of subtle terror behind his smile as she sing-songs merrily at him is fabulous.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Really liking this group already and as usual, the two people I've not heard of are the people I'm enjoying the most.

That boat task would have freaked me out alot, I'd be terrified of breaking it.

I am AMAZED that got past the Channel 4 Health and Safety person. They had a 60% crash rate!

Kiell Smith-Bynoe was the star of the episode for me. His barge-song, his worm-dance, and his sudden and entirely justified moment of betrayed rage in the final task were top-notch.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

HAmbONE posted:

So I’m guessing not even British audiences got to see Frankie’s art?

It was completely blurred, yes, probably due to Disney/Marvels' attack lawyers taking a dim view of their characters being depicted in that way.

According to someone at the filming it was a drawing of Captain America with Wolverine on his knees before him, completely naked, and was discussed for a good 15 minutes, none of which made it to the final cut, which I suspect will happen to quite a lot more of Frankies' material in the next few episodes.

Jenny was fantastic this episode: her effervescent glee over the potato-hat task was just superbly silly, charming TV, Taskmaster at its' best.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I believe the current series line-up was leaked on Wikipedia for a short period before someone reverted it.

Someone who lived in the flats overlooking the canal they did the barge task on cheerfully posted photos of them all crashing into things a good eight months ago, essentially captioned "Oooh, I wonder what these very different comedians doing silly pointless tasks in an unusual location can possibly be up to..."

I think something like that's fair game really, if I was eating my cornflakes one morning and Bill Bailey passed by my house riding a unicycle and playing a Bach sonata on an accordion, chased by a camera crew, I'd probably get a few photos too.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

An absolutely stellar episode tonight, once I got bloody All4 to work properly (seriously, Channel 4, after 10 years of streaming services, could you not just copy iPlayer or Netflix interface and create an app that doesn't collapse every time you go in and out of the search screen?)

Anyway, the studio sections were fabulous, best in absolute ages. Frankie having A Moment over semantics (twice) was wonderful, as was his immediate Glaswegian instinct in one of the tasks to hurl dangerously heavy things over a fence onto a public right of way without looking and then set some plastic on fire.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I know the points don't count and whatnot, but that 15 point swing over the final two tasks felt a bit like poor Ivo and Frankie might as well just pack up and go home now. That final task in particular felt very heavily weighted in favour of a three-person team.

I do like the Frankie/Ivo duo now though. Them doing silly voices at each other was hilarious, they instantly reverted back to being daft wee boys with walkie-talkies, bless.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

I really like the season as a whole. Even the team tasks aren't all bad because the dynamic of the other team is a nice palette cleanser. Just all the hyper competitive stuff is awful.

It does contain two of my favourite tasks of all time, the one where they have to sneak up on Alex at the railway museum and Joe Thomas proves himself to be a terrifying ninja, and the "make the best thing to engage Toddler Nell", where all the attempts are both extremely good and represent all the contestants personalities perfectly.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leraika posted:

I think Hugh was done harshly but also that a lot of his 'clever' solutions were leaning towards cheaty.

But everyone on that series is so lovely and funny (and we get to see Mel Giedroyc at her most absolutely insane during the prize tasks) that I can forgive a lot from Greg.

I think Mel is one of my all-time favourite contestants. Her bottomless well of positivity! Her cheerful cameraderie with Hugh, as she dragged the poor hapless bloke around and around the garden! The way Alex Horne adored her so wholeheartedly! And then, of course, came the exotic sandwich ("ohhh, gang"), which nearly crushed her spirit, but she bounced back!. Whatta contestant she was.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I think it’s that none of the contestants are very creative OR good at most of the tasks.

None of them do the above, almost ever. Mae occasionally comes close to doing things well, but they’re so uncharismatic about it and it’s too rare that it doesn’t feel fun.

The studio banter is so excellent that it makes the season fun enough to enjoy, but I think it’s the only thing holding it up.

Frankie and Kiell in the studio are great fun, and Ivo consistently snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is funny but otherwise it is a bit of a weaker season. However, after 6 weeks of seeing the prize tasks, I do now kind of wish for a "Frankie Boyle Goes To Art School" show, his prize tasks have been so consistently creative and amusing.

I think Mae is probably going to win, just by the rather dubious merit of being the quietest and most route-one contestant ever. I had hopes for Mae, but their sweetness and charm as an actor is most certainly not translating well to to Taskmaster for me, they are so painfully awkward in the studio sections where Greg is lobbing a bit of banter their way and getting buggerall in return.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I have finally made it onto the first NY treat, and my joy at the banter is huge. Greg is super tickled at having Krishnan there.

EDIT: that was great, and I kind of wish there’d been another episode of them :allears:

The biggest loss this show has ever had was not getting Rylan, Adrian Chiles, Mo Farah or Nicola Coughlan onto a full 10 episode series. They were all, in their own strange ways, utterly magnificent. Adrian Chiles in particular. Every time I see a tea urn I think of his inscrutable joy at getting to descale them.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Frankie saying 'You just couldn't shut the gently caress up could you?' to Ivo was amazing, the weary, fatherly disappointment in his voice was entirely unfeigned.

Also, quite possibly the best prize task section in years. Jennys' and Frankies were so funny, and Kiells' was simply magnificent.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I will miss Team Angry Dad and His Disappointing Son.

I will also miss Kiells' baffled face in the studio as he realises how he hosed up a task.

I will not miss that creepy puppet Mae brought in, good lord, that was amazingly horrible!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Rhod Gilbert is the devil himself.

The sheer horror in Gregs' eyes when he realised where Rhod was when making his special little video...truly one of the finest moments in Taskmaster history,

I have never seen anyone on Taskmaster more ready to commit murder than Phil and James Acaster after the "build a house extension" task (well, until Daisy May Cooper and Richard Herring came along). You could actually hear the penny drop for Rhod that he'd better run for his taxi the moment they stopped filming, or else he was a dead man.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leatherhead posted:

New Year's Two - Adrian Chiles needs a full season.

The truest thing ever written. What a revelation that episode was. 20 years of being the most anodyne and bland presenter on the TV, and then within five minutes of Taskmaster he's crawling trouserless over tarmac with an egg in his mouth, and expounding on the delights of descaling a tea urn as a method of therapy. Absolutely gold-tier lunacy.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I feel like if they'd lumped Ed and David together the season would have been cut short due to a murder.

Ed Gamble and David Baddiel versus Daisy May Cooper and Richard Herring on an artistic team task, see who murders their teammate first, the time starts now.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Sam is nicely weird, however, his unprompted, gobsmacked look upon realising that Lucy Beaumont is a thousand times weirder without even trying was a particularly fine moment

A very strong first episode, Sue Perkins taking every opportunity to swear at Alex was a highlight, always been a fan of Sue's brand of exasperated swearing.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

not a bot posted:

The funniest thing about Campbell is that he's doing his damnest to be oh so crazy and random and seems to get genuinely shocked/annoyed when the others are outdoing him as natural weirdos

Yeah. I've not seen any of his stuff, but he is coming across as a wee bit tryhard. Sometimes it works (asking Greg if he was a child of divorce was genuinely funny), but sometimes it doesn't, and the spontaneous lunacy of Beaumont and the surprising devilry of Susan Wokoma far surpasses anything you could come up with on the fly. Plus, Sue and Julian are very old hands at the UK comedy panel show thing, and can slide the razorblade of their wit in very quickly in the back and forth bantering sections.

It may change, but I think he's a little lost in the studio sections at present. (Like the season John Kearns was on, where I think everyone expected him to be the dark horse and surprise everyone with his humour in the studio, and it never quite worked for him, with Fern effortlessly outclassing him in the Delightful Lunatic stakes in every possible way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

CatstropheWaitress posted:

All to say, get Alan Cumming on Task Master.

Alan would totally be up for a New Years Treat episode, I guarantee it.