Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Paladinus posted:

Greg tends to give more attention to 'problem pupils' and to his good friends. Jeremy Wells seems to be trying to stick closer to the fictional character of taskmaster (an egomaniacal tyrant who forces comedians to do his quirky bidding), and treat everyone with the same amount of mild contempt. Greg would definitely paid more attention to the brilliant madness of David Correos inviting other contestants to pile on.

I think you're right in general with their different styles, I just don't think Jeremy is selling his version that well. That being said, I've enjoyed the in-studio interactions in these first two episodes a lot more than the first season, so either he's getting better or I'm warming up to him.

You're right that Greg is helped by having a lot of people he's friends/friendly with as contestants and he's very good at busting out his teacher persona at the right time. The times that James Acaster and Nish Kumar were pulled aside for a talking-to are both hilarious highlights for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The_Doctor posted:

Watching Champion of Champions. Watching Katherine call her family was some pure :stonklol:

That one is amazing for how quickly she seemed to come to it, how horrifying it is, and the fact that her family doesn't seem to buy it for a second. A classic.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

drunken officeparty posted:

Does the master get better too? He isn’t actively bad but it’s like he isn’t even there.

I only knew of Guy going into this so I’m not sure how famous Jeremy is in NZ but I keep thinking he should be the “billionaire who has everything so he forces peasants to dance” kind of thing. He certainly looks like it. Greg has the physical presence and big bombastic energy that this guy can’t try to match.

I didn't like him at all during the first series (mainly because, like you said, he's such a non-entity) but I've actually been enjoying him so far in series 2.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, NZ 2 is right up there with UK 5 and 7 as an all-time Taskmaster season.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

drunken officeparty posted:

The balloon task twist was pretty cool. Might have been better on a longer more controlled task though.

I really enjoyed the twist, but it didn't quite payoff as well as it could have. I'd like to see other TM's pull that twist during a team task.

Another very fun TM NZ ep though. I enjoyed all the time travel takes and Jeremy continues to be much looser, more fun and more Taskmaster-y than in the first series.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

A different variation on the Lincoln Zoom task would work really well for other TM's. I don't know if you'd get a result as good as David and Guy having lunch just before they got the call though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Speaking of big names, John Hannah would have been good on a full series. I also wish we got Nicola Coughlan for a full one, she seemed really fun.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

itry posted:

Also pretty clever solution from Morgana. Kinda expected a bonus point from Greg just for making Alex eat that stuff.

I think he absolutely would have if he hadn't given her a style point last episode. This one would have been way more deserving, based solely on Alex's face.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

oh jay posted:

His and Sian's greeting in the first team task is iconic.

That season isn't close to my favourite, but it had some great moments. Joe and Sian were a hilarious team, the train yard hide and seek was fantastic (Sian: "Can we keep playing?"), and I absolutely love how mortified Ian was in the studio when he saw how he was treating Lou during their team task.

Fake Edit: gently caress, Ian's attempt at a volcano lmao

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Re: the discussion a while ago about the team imbalance, I really liked the TMNZ team task where one of the team members had to secretly try to sabotage the team. It was only for a single task, but it was a cool idea I'd like to see Taskmaster original flavour try (other than Rhod just deciding to sabotage the team tasks randomly)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It was a very solid cast. Morgana and Guz were all-timers and that was the most enjoyable I've ever found Victoria. Alan and Desiree weren't annoying and had a few standout funny moments throughout.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, if you did an All Star season you'd need both James and Rhod. And they'd be the two person team for team tasks.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nono: they need to be the three person team together with Iain.

As long as he's done absolutely zero self-reflection in the interim.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Greg's double take in the fez task was amazing though.

That was an amazing payoff

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Series 10 overall is very bad, but it does have some amazing moments (nobody getting points on a "don't touch the red green" task, and Alex being completely baffled by Catherine's incompetence at all times.)

Yeah, the vibes were really off and I think a lot of that had to do with the tasks having to be adjusted for Covid partway through and it being the first audience-free series so there was a lot of awkwardness. You're right that it still has flashes of greatness though.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Mawaan is great because he switches wildly between genuinely brilliant lateral thinking and just like, straight up forgetting the rules he just read. I think he has a wider range of intelligence on display than any other contestant that's been on the show.

"Why were the balls there?"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TMNZ had a ton of great tasks. I loved the Abraham Lincoln Group Call.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I just remembered a TMNZ task that I want the UK version to steal. Have one of the members of the three-person team try to sabotage a task without it being obvious. I thought that was a great twist and there's still a lot that can be done with it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Tim Baltz would be a great assistant. More in a Paul Williams style than Alex Horne.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Very fun cast overall, I don't dislike anyone and Sophie rules. Very surprised they were able to save the kinda lame maypole task with the legitimately exciting side-by-side footage. The cool photo task was one of the more creative ones they've had recently, reminded me of TM NZ 2.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Sian and Joe were a really good team, but I may be overrating them due to one of the most egregious acts of cheating I've ever seen.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

oh jay posted:

The cheating was good, but this is one of the greatest things in the show.

https://youtu.be/v7pOKlO-DNI

lmao just amazing energy. I wish we got more of them.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lol in the newest episode of the podcast Threedom, Paul F Tompkins talks about finally watching Taskmaster and wanting to be on it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I would have had a blast with that shoe task, it seemed like a lot of fun.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

oh jay posted:

I wonder how late into filming they shot the shoe task. What they had to say after each question was spot on for each of their emergent storylines.

Chris's enthusiasm vs. Sophie's legitimate exasperation was great

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Disappointing Pie posted:

The editing on that high five task was fantastic.

Was legit excited about who would be third during that final edit lol

It was a good episode for tasks that could be conceptually too complicated but turned out to have really funny responses.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

She also gave us that amazing team task where she got "hops" almost immediately and the other two just ignored her. I wouldn't put her in the top half of contestants, entertainment-wise, but she gave us a few great moments.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

redreader posted:

How does the nz taskmaster compare to the UK one?

First series is all right, but the second series is a top 3 across any TM version.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The ten second thing probably got them too in their own heads, but 70+ questions and not guessing Quentin as soon as you find out its Q are unforgivable. Hilarious task.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

"But how am I supposed to kill you with your own shoe?"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Heavy_D posted:

Except Nicola Coughlan, who would have loved to do a full series and didn't quite realise she was opting for this instead. If they ever bent the rules for anyone, I hope it's her.

That sucks. Everyone else in the New Year's Treat episode feel like cool bonuses, but I would have loved to see her on a full series.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Aphex- posted:

I take a Whose line is it anyway approach and really don't give a gently caress about how it's pointed. As long as it's funny that's all that matters.

This is correct.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Greg has been having a lot of "magnanimous" moments where he ties people and pulls them up in the scoring, but what it ends up being the equivalent to reducing the overall amount of points he gives out, because every time he does it, the less the contestants separate in score.

I think he's losing a bit of his killer instinct and vaguely threatening aura.

Yeah, although in series 10 he was really cutthroat about point scoring. Especially with some of their dogshit prize tasks.

He needs less contemporaries and more "students" he can lord over. He's the best when he's scaring the poo poo out of a giggly, unruly class.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

SlothfulCobra posted:

My first thought was definitely either break the bike or throw Alex off the bike, but the basket coming off works too.

Judi just kinda bullying Alex off of the bike and breaking it was so funny.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Great episode. One of the strongest prize tasks, a lot of amazing studio interaction, everyone was giving it their all during the tasks and there was one impressively insane breakdown. Kinda sad we don't get two episodes from this lineup.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

oh jay posted:

Other than the scoring, that was a really good studio task. Physical, but not skill based, and a great chance to show off the contestant's personality.

Kerry and Liza's walks killed me

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Holy gently caress that flag task! That was just evil.

Amazing studio reactions when it showed Josh figuring it all out. Paul Ego was pretty stone-faced, so I laughed hard when Paul Williams listed them all in the same package.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cow Touching is a standout.

It's amazing, because I assumed they were saving him for last because he waited hours.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I'm so glad they adapted that twist from NZTM. Perfect use of it. Overall really great episode.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I was laughing when he turned the hat over and then almost died when he lifted the hat up

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It was the first episode where everyone really clicked. Redemption for John.

The episode was so good I completely forgot about Alex saying "gently caress's sake" until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

There are a couple episodes at the end of TMNZ 2 where Jeremy Wells has the most personality he's ever had in the role. Legitimately having a blast in the studio.