Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, in theory a bunch of comedians would be good at coming up with a funny and creative script but professionally they're gonna be more used to having weeks to write and refine something like that. Alan Davies' film there had all the dramatic energy of a nine-year-old playing with his bath toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Victoria did a great job on the bike considering that she learned how to ride one in five minutes before the task started.

I'm a little disappointed she didn't just start that riddle task by decoding the cryptogram. It didn't look like Alex had realised you can crack a code like that without the key.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

The ten second thing probably got them too in their own heads, but 70+ questions and not guessing Quentin as soon as you find out its Q are unforgivable. Hilarious task.

It almost felt like they were letting Sophie have it since she was obviously the only one actually trying to get information from him, but I think by that point she was just the only one firing on any cylinders

Absolutely fantastic episode. So many moments that would have been the highlight of any other episode.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fun first episode! Doesn't feel like quite as strong a cast as last season, but some good laughs so far.

Did they ever say what the tenth movie was?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I hope they did go to Legoland, that sounds like a fun day out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Irisi posted:

Not my favourite series overall, as I never really got the John Kearns love (I found his ineptitude grimly irritating and thought he was bafflingly poor at the studio banter, but hey, comedy is subjective, after all, glad other people enjoyed him). I did like Fern though, and I have found a new appreciation for Sarah Millican. I loved the way she could say such cutting things in such a sweet tone, it cracked me up.

Agreed on all this. I did warm up to John a bit as the series went on and he got past his early total flops but I'd still put him fifth out of the five here. And Sarah really thrived in the Taskmaster environment, her humour clicked for me much better here than in the usual panel shows.

For my money this was the best version of the "pick some items without knowing what they're going to be for" kind of task. That said, the item Dara covered completely wasn't the one he put on the barrel without touching! He should have dumped that cider all over the nice man.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like Rachel Riley is someone who is more likely to be in one of the New Years Treats than a full series just because those are the ones where they branch out from comedians.

I'd say Rachel Riley is in the same comedian-adjacent tier as Richard Osman and Victoria Coren-Mitchell. Between 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown and the occasional panel show appearance she'd fit in pretty well.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I hope one day to enjoy something as much as Jenny enjoyed the potato conveyor.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think of the five contestants this series Frankie has left the least impression on me, although that's as much to do with the strength of this series' cast as a whole than him specifically. He seems quite out of his element here compared to his usual career, where he's got to be actually competitive with a bunch of people that he's got nothing against. Not a lot of room for his mean snark stuff.

Which is not to say he hasn't still got it. His prize task entry was great, didn't even have to see the actual picture.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's often times in the live tasks where you can tell something didn't quite work out the way it was originally planned. In this case I think the point was that the team of three would win for sure but then it would be functionally impossible to actually count the number of objects - they got lucky on Mae's guess being right. I wouldn't be surprised if this team task was deliberately put after the team task where one team failed completely and the other didn't to balance out the scores a bit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Every so often they come up with a studio task that seems like it would be a genuinely fun game to play at a party. Today's was one of them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm curious how they managed to get/make those jelly babies.

Great episode for Ivo Graham content. His highest high and his lowest low.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Banter is better this season then just about any other.

It really is. Between them the contestants have nailed the sweet spot in the right amount of hostility toward each other to be funny without bringing the mood down. And all of them have their own approaches to that, with Mae trying to justify all their tryhard schemes, Frankie pushing it to insane leaps of logic, and Kiell getting outraged when it works for either of them. Ivo wilting under everything Greg says and Jenny off in her own little world half the time. They're a brilliant set for the banter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

Oh and Alex screwed Ivo on that jelly task. You could easily argue you were within the spirit of the task, but Alex continued insinuating he was doing it wrong.

See I liked that because it fits in great with Ivo's persona. Alex just psyched him right out of what is a totally valid solution - the bricks were on the jelly, they were just also on other bricks, and nothing in the task said the jelly had to support the weight by itself.

But Ivo folds easily under pressure so he gave up on the winning strategy and lost, it was great.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah Feel Good was sick. Also stars Charlotte Ritchie!

Charlotte Ritchie has in-character dated two of the contestants from this season. Which doesn't really mean anything but it's a funny coincidence.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Trabant posted:

Not having seen the new show yet, I'm just going to guess it's the side-effect of being married to Jon Richardson.

Or, possibly, a prerequisite.

I loved the team of two's chemistry, immediately fun to watch.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I don't think any of them recognised eachother, and it was glorious.

None of them recognised each other, and none of them wanted to give that fact away by asking each other's names. Just amazing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, Sam did not deserve as many points as he got today!

He's settled into my least favourite of the contestants by now. He tries too hard to be wacky, especially mixed in with Sue and Lucy who can pull it off so much more naturally.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I love when the studio tasks feel like they'd be genuinely fun parlour games. This one would be a great game for a children's birthday party or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This episode might have been peak Lucy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This must have been one of the all-time best series of Taskmaster. The tasks themselves were maybe a bit hit-and-miss - some high highs but some low lows too - but the cast were just so good, across the board. Gonna be hard to beat this lineup.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Get the best emergency present for an anniversary you forgot about?

That's probably be a half-decent prize task.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

stev posted:

It would've been better if it was an actual person too. It seems like the sort of thing they might have gotten Richard Osman in for in early seasons. They wouldn't have had to speak.

Or at least a person in an actual Blobby suit would've been better.

If they'd had the actual Mr Blobby behind them it could have been a lot of fun. Although admittedly I haven't seen anything with Blobby since his original actor retired, I'm only assuming the newer guy holds up.

I've enjoyed John myself, having a try-hard in the cast is good for actually getting those out-of-the-box answers on-screen. Having one person think to do something like take off the baby carrier when no one else does is a good balance.
Also I thought the same way as him for the Create Tension task, but it felt like he gave up too easily on actually putting something under an impressive amount of tension. I wonder if the producers told him he couldn't go too far on that for health and safety or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tonfa posted:

*sobbing, underneath an upturned bed* i don't think i've done this one right

Good thread title candidate imo.

I also quite liked "I wouldn't be much good in an apocalypse" from the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

itry posted:

Nick had the right idea going with something simple and easily recognizable. The other choices were... interesting.

Well, Greensleeves is also simple and recognisable, if you can, you know. Play it.