Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

not a bot posted:

I watched the NZ one a while ago and the 'Alex' character was really badly thought of because it was a straigt-up carbon copy and it didn't work at all. The taskmaster himself worked because he was clearly being his own person. Luckily four of the five constestants were amazing, while of them (Guy Williams) nearly ruined the show by being an aggressively unfunny prick who tried to bring in the audience for everything. A bit of a rough start but there were lots of great tasks.

I disagree, i didn't know Paul Williams before but it kinda feels like he's not really putting on a character, he's just a bit of a weirdo. Also the relationship with the Taskmaster is different, which contributes to the vibe being its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if they asked David Mitchell and he declined but suggested his wife instead.

I don't think so because in this lineup Alan Davies fills the same slot of "older, well-respected comedian and panel show veteran". Also I hope not becase I feel an entire season of Taskmaster could rest solely on David Mitchell impotently and petulantly railing against the unfair judgements of a petty and uncaring Taskmaster.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Teddybear posted:

The NZ show really, really nails it. I think it's helped by being unable to repeat any of the UK tasks.

It also helps that they don't really add many rules and conditions to the core task, under the (usually correct) assumption that out of five contestants at least one will just go with the more straightforward, harder approach.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hugh with the scissors getting beaten by the large crow was traumatic

To be fair, that was more because Noel was absurdly good at jumping around on one leg while wearing heeled boots.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

Personally I think that deflating, rolling/folding, and then carrying the floppy duck would put you at risk of touching the beak at several steps during the process, to an only somewhat lesser extent than rolling it. It makes the shape of the duck much harder to manage compared to just pulling it like Susan did (arguably the objectively correct solution, and it owns that most people would probably assume you had to roll it).

Also I feel like it's heavier than one would assume, so very awkward to carry and the added surface makes it probably more difficult to drag.