Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's worth pointing out that Series 3 is also the last series with only one female contestant. From Series 4 onwards there would be at least two (and in series 9 the women actually outnumber the men.)

Not if you count Greg and Alex! :eng101:

What I'm saying is we need to find a really tall woman to replace Greg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anals of History posted:

Season 3 does get unfairly shat upon, I think. It's probably the weakest of all of the TM series but it still has bright spots. Case in point:

I don't mind series 3 at all. It's definitely not one of the standout greats but it's nowhere near as bad as 6 or 9.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Woah, what's wrong with 6?

This smug prick for one thing. It just wasn't a very good mix of contestants though and the tasks didn't make up for it. I usually enjoy Alice Levine but she did nothing for me in this group. The only one I remember being sort of enjoyable was Asim Chaudhry and some of Liza Tarbuck.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 28, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like Jo Brand but not as a comedian. She'd make a fun aunt or neighbour.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there a legal way to watch the NZ version in the UK?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebzilla posted:

Does David Mitchell count as an elder statesman of British comedy now? Bloody hell.

It's the beard.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

David Mitchell and Richard Ayoade are my two dream TM participants. Although both in the same series would probably be a bit much.

I reckon Jimmy Carr would be good as well, though probably a bit too big for the show, despite being a Channel 4 veteran

Suddenly you have the whole Big Fat Quiz cast in one series.

I imagine there are quite a few "big guns" that have agreed to be on the show but they're spacing them out. There seems to be roughly one person per series who's either too famous/respected for most panel shows or who are otherwise a big draw. I'm sure they don't want to be in a position where they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for recognisable faces - even if the less well known comedians usually end up being the highlights of the series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebzilla posted:

The tasks are shown out of order compared to when they were filmed so really three fifths of it is sort of down to Alex (or whoever) choosing to give someone three house task wins or not in a single episode. Then the prize task and live task bookend it.

Eh a lot of the tasks are subjective enough that Alex has no idea how Greg will score them. They've said plenty of times that they aim to put together tasks that go well together in an episode rather than to manipulate point distribution.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like to think that when you're born, the G Man from Half Life appears before you to explain the challenges, trials and tribulations you have ahead of you. And when you die he appears to congratulate you on a job well done, and tells you that you'll be called again for another task soon.

Only the G Man has a beard and he's British. And a much larger man stands behind him watching at all times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'd actually like to see someone like Daniel Radcliffe on the UK version. He would fit right in to the madness.

I think he'd be similar to Joe Thomas in that it'd be the first time most people get to see what a bafflingly wonderful weirdo he actually is when he's not starring in massive media franchises.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I’ve heard that 9 is kinda universally thought to be the worst because of Jo Brand (seems to want to be there even less) and David Baddiel (does a bad job leaning into being the season’s inept contestant), but I still want to watch it.

I like Jo Brand, and if it had been just her it would've been fine. Baddiel just sucks the fun out of everything though and having two people doing the grumpy old sod routine together was too much. Jo at least seemed to be in on the joke but Baddiel just couldn't give less of a gently caress and doesn't have a clue what's going on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

The biggest thing lacking is the outfits. I don't think anyone of this cohort has gone with something memorable.

Alan's obscure Simpsons hoodie got a big reaction from me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope Alex is making mad bank off the Taskmaster brand becoming a global thing and it's not just some suits at Avalon raking it in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well I think that's the closest the show has come to making me sick. :barf:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lemon posted:

One thing I never see mentioned much but I greatly enjoy is Greg's use of the ad links for increasingly weird jokes across the series.

I like it when he takes a swipe at the concept of advertising and capitalism.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

David Mitchell was on this week's RHLSTP and confirmed he's never going to do Taskmaster, basically because he'd be too poo poo at it and wouldn't enjoy being poo poo. Which is a drat shame.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drunken officeparty posted:

I could see Robert Webb doing it though.

I know it's impossible to not have any bigoted knobheads at all on the show (see Baddiel) but it'd be nice if they could keep it to a minimum.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah 'copy Alex' was great. He seemed so pleased with himself for learning that little dance. It should have just been scored by Greg deciding who got it closest though.

I get the feeling Alex was sick of no one working out his little tricks so just decided to spell it out for Morgana. I'm surprised they didn't make more of that in the studio.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drunken officeparty posted:

Not really a fan of the tasks that boil down to “make a short film”. They take up a ton of time and are never really that good or funny. Plus it’s like 50% of the work is done by the show editors and not the person.

I sort of agree - though there have been plenty that turned out great. I think tasks that just tell the contestants "be creative and funny" tend to be the most likely to fall flat on their face.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd have loved to have seen Alex help Victoria learn to ride the bike with the classic dad technique of pushing her along and secretly letting go.

The riddle task was funny in a 5 minute clip but Morgana must have been bored out of her mind while the others bashed their heads against the brick wall.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drat you Alex, that's the first time I haven't skipped through an ad break in years. :argh:

Loved that episode. I wish they all had that level of energy. The final task could have ended up being overlong and tedious but it was shot and edited perfectly. Much more of that please.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Bit disappointed in the comparative lack of destructive energy

Speaking of destructive energy I'd have totally just thrown five darts at once for maximum carnage.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

David on the podcast is loving bonkers.

I haven't watched NZ yet but he seems a bit much. Like I can see him getting annoying very quickly if that's what he's always like.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unkempt posted:

If anyone hasn't seen the norwegian 'don't blink' task, it's pretty amazing and it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3yhEZX93s

2 hours 47 minutes. Not sure he's actually human.

I don't think I could last a minute before it became unbearable. I'm amazed they let him drive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The prize task and the first two were wonderful. The third task wasn't my favourite though - another absurdly long set of rules that just left everyone looking confused and irritated. And the actual task itself ended up being really easy? It was odd.

The live task was pretty dreadful. It became obvious very quickly that no one was going to manage to score any points. And even if they did it'd be next to impossible to end up with a positive score. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

itry posted:

Next series will feature the Most Engaged Cat task.

The series after that will feature Most Engaged Pensioner.

I want to see them make a toy to engage Greg.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

My gf asked what's wrong with her, and I responded "she probably grew up in one of those families where playing anagram games where the height of excitement."

Given what a shower of cunts she had/has for a family it's amazing that she's turned out vaguely well adjusted (or at least keeps her worst thoughts to herself). But yeah, i can't imagine that was a fun household to grow up in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All these clips really make me miss the live audience and everyone being able to touch/sit on each other. :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

One week Victoria doesn't know what football is, the next she's casually referencing VAR. What's her game?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'll be surprised if anyone but Morgana wins at this point. She's too good. Too powerful. Too spicy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The second half of this series really picked up the live tasks. They'd clearly been struggling to make them fun and interesting without a live audience but they smashed it. Alan's monster noise is one of the highlights of the series.

I think the drinking task would've been a piece of piss for any dedicated beer drinker. I just tried it with water and other than spilling some down myself it's not that hard.

I'd only actually heard of one of the next series' cast (Bridget Christie - and I barely know of her) and there aren't really any 'big names' but lately the best contestants have been the ones I'm not hugely familiar with so that's fine by me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it was in S2? Where they brought in Josh Widdicombe to serve as the third to even up the teams during one of the tasks, and I'm not sure why they don't do that more often. I mean it doesn't have to be Josh every time, I imagine he is probably busy, but it would be a good way to bring back popular former contestants for brief appearances while also preventing those awkward "we only really wrote this task for a team of 2" third wheel situations.

Although on the other hand, sometimes the pairings of two people end up making for a very charming team in a way that a team of three can't really do.

Al Murray will do every single one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That seems entirely possible, or maybe it works the other way around? All tasks are planned equally but when one turns out to be too dull or too easy they place it in the tiebreaker reserve.

IIRC from the podcast Alex has said they prepare around 5 tiebreakers each series and occasionally they get upgraded to full tasks.

I wonder what would happen if they have so many ties in a series that they run out of tiebreakers. Mud wrestling match?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Escobarbarian posted:

That was such a good finale jesus. Definitely one of my top 3 Taskmaster seasons along with 5 and 7. Victoria was perfect.

Yeah, it makes it even more of a shame that David Mitchell doesn't want to do it. Victoria's so similar to him in how she approaches things that I think his worries about being on the show are unfounded.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LesterGroans posted:

Re: the discussion a while ago about the team imbalance, I really liked the TMNZ team task where one of the team members had to secretly try to sabotage the team. It was only for a single task, but it was a cool idea I'd like to see Taskmaster original flavour try (other than Rhod just deciding to sabotage the team tasks randomly)

Hell they could do a whole season like that but have a different person sabotaging every time.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I assume C4's plan is to have a new year special mini series every year and CoC can take that slot this time.

If that's the case I wonder if CoC will be a one-off this time like the New Years special.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It sounds like he's taking the rankings more seriously than most of the players and audience.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GazChap posted:

I saw him in an ad on YouTube here in the UK the other day, so presumably he's already here...

I saw him (or someone that looks a lot like him) on an ad for Celebrations on TV. Idk he's still really irritating to me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1466701243519148033?t=WPiiBbzM3PaymbxhXyJbLQ&s=19

:gbsmith: New Years Treat is coming back.

:smith: Claudia Winkleman probably won't get a full series because she's in it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

"Perhaps they won't privatise us to their mates if we let one of them on."

They're just testing out the merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

Struggling a bit with season 6. Its only my massive crush on Alive Levine thats getting me through it.

Same - shame she's not actually that good on the show itself. None of them are any good really, or they're enough of a oval office in real life that it doesn't matter how good they are.

e: Good as in funny or enjoyable on the show not as in actually good at the tasks.