Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't possibly be worse than Joe Wilkinson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The first series of Taskmaster NZ was pretty unremarkable but I'm watching the second one now and David Correios might be my favorite contestant throughout all the iterations.

Jeremy Wells is really boring though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is shaping up to be the best series since 12.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Are seasons 8-11 the Dark Age of Taskmaster?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And they tried so hard to break her with the giant ball. All in vain.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't the not stepping on grass task mean they were allowed to step on the green carpet the whole time?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The best parts of the show are
- someone does something perfectly or first try or finds the gimmick
- someone does something really creative outside the box
- someone does something insane because they think it’s creative and fail miserably.
You're forgetting "someone tries to cheat and Alex pulls last second photo evidence", imo.

Anyhow, I've got high hopes for the Australian version, they started off really good and hopefully will refine the show further. NZ has very fun tasks but the studio bits were (apart from S2) mostly boring.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 6, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Frankie might honestly be my favorite contestant this season, both for the studio banter and the team dynamic with Ivo. And when he messes up, he messes up in a spectacular fashion - see Big Scottish Dog.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It'll probably lean more into the competition side of the show than the comedy side.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Heavy_D posted:

Like the task where you have to collect fish pellets from traps designed to spill the fish pellets, without bending at the knees.
I don't think I remember that one, what episode is it from?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr Beens posted:

The pretence got shattered about half way through series 2
Actually I'm kinda curious about this now since they talk about getting the prizes in podcasts. Do they bring their own props and get them back afterwards (which could work with kids) or is that random junk provided by the show and they have to make up the comedy bit?

(Feel free to spoiler the answers, I assume this is the kind of thing not everyone would want to know)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more that the other "competent" or "competitive" people in the past managed to be funnier. I liked Dara O'Briain a lot, for example.

e: Although, having watched the last episode, I gotta admit Bosco was pretty great.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 19, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how the live task felt like the culmination of years and years of Alex' weird measuring unit jokes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I liked it overall, mostly thanks to (against my initial expectations) Frankie. Some of the tasks were complete duds but all in all I definitely enjoyed it more than, say, 13.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is this about the football ticket? That scene is just beautiful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure about food, but I'd watch the hell out of a construction-based one. Whenever they're asked to build something, be it tiny bridges or castles or boats, it ends up hilarious.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
12 was my favorite of the recent ones (everyone loves Victoria, but in my opinion the unsung hero of that one was Guz Khan and his attempts to intimidate Alex), but for some reasons 13 never really clicked with me. I thought Sophie Duker fit the whole "competent but boring contestant" type way more than Mae did.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
10's got Hippogate which I feel at least partially redeems it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's good TV, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Kind of mixed on Ray, but his studio task performance bodes well for him, too.
Yeah, that was a Rhod Gilbert solution.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, the assassination of Caesar had me in stitches for the whole time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The studio task turned from cute to glorious when the team of three started hurling eggs at the opponents' car.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The acceptance speech live task was great; normally live tasks aren't really the selling point of the show but this season they really shine.

Holy hell can Karen talk fast.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda disappointed no one drew the Shakespeare task.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

I really love the Libya song, the way the clock runs out and Paul refuses to keep playing, then the guitar smash. Really a lot of the interactions between Paul and his brother are so good.
I'd love to see the anthem task return, but I realize it might be slightly... problematic... when the British do it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

"You absolute shower of poo poo" is my new favourite insult :allears:

Everyone spending their time ITT whinging about TMNZ is a miserable poo poo giblet
I'm honestly kind of hoping Sue keeps up the Alex abuse.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Portcullis!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Pick me up" magazine sounds like a pretty natural secret task hiding place, especially with Alex drawing attention to the name.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lucy is just delightfully insane. I only saw her before on cats does countdown and honestly had no idea.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
At this point I really hope Lucy is just keeping in character, because being the most unhinged out of this bunch of contestants is quite a feat. Amazing to watch, though.

Mr Beens posted:

Another good episode, but probably the weakest team task they have ever done, not really much room for any lateral thinking or hi jinks.
Yeah, I was really hoping there would be something weird with all the handshakes - maybe they counted on the contestants opening all the tasks at once and planning out the most efficient route?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

As a gay, I can only wish to have the confidence, delivery and wit Julian does to put down and insult everyone through the most minor of actions. Every episode makes me love Julian more and more.
I keep thinking that in an alternative universe, he'd make one hell of a taskmaster.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

Lucy has a bit of a mania for Yorkshire Puddings, they were a horrible, horrible component of The Unspeakable Cake Thing that she made on Celebrity Bakeoff (google it, I'm not going to subject my eyes to the horrors again to find a photo of it)
I have just subjected myself to the episode and Lucy's baking is everything I feared it would be.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if that affects any of the more serious actors that took part. If you see, say, Katherine Parkinson on stage and all you can think of are her attempts to catapult a shoe or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That may be the joke, though? Another of Alex' in-character attempts to butter up the Taskmaster in a completely ineffective fashion? Isn't it sweet how he tries?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was watching some earlier episodes at random and one thing I'm really missing in the newer series is contestants trying to openly cheat at tasks. I think last time it happened was what, the sneaky pasta snake affair in season 10?
It's always so delightful when Alex catches them on video.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The kid's reaction to Lucy's sleepwalking attempt was amazing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

He's also entered the space of many before him -- person who clearly really wants to win, knows they're ahead, and is basking in their lead. Remains the unsatisfying contestant to watch on the show (apologies to Dara O'Brien and Mae Martin before him) that really guts the excitement for the later episodes.
I don't get the hate for Dara O'Brien. Yeah, he was competent and he clearly wanted to win but he also managed to remain consistently funny and occassionally brilliant (such as with the one-act play). Definitely nowhere near a Mae Martin or Richard Herring.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 12, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just started Kongen Befaler on Youtube and I'm very much enjoying how the main theme seems to be "idiots with power tools".

e: And if there's a second one, it's destroying guitars :rock:

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 12, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Like these?

loving hell, I thought those were just an Eastern Europe thing. Note the "made WITH cheese".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
As great as the first task was, I feel my initial instinct would be to break the loving signals.

e:

stev posted:

I really hoped they wouldn't end the clown task with the reveal that a bunch of people broke the disqualification rule again. It's just getting predictable and boring at this point.

Otherwise good episode.
I think the contestants getting wise to this and reacting immediately made it work. And Alex got a new nickname out of it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 17, 2023