Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think taskmaster nz series 3 mostly suffers for coming after series 2 (which I would probably put as my favorite taskmaster series period, though 4,5, and 9 are up there too) and it's a perfectly good series of television in its own right.

1 had a lot of growing pains (probably caused at least in part by a shoestring budget) but there were some good bits. I think the prize tasks were generally stronger than they've been on the UK series for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Captain_Person posted:

Taskmaster NZ adjacent, they're currently filming a studio version of Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont Spelling Bee. Expect to see a lot of TM contestants on it (as we've used up 80% of our supply of comedians already).

Oh, that's exciting! I had fun with the YouTube ones.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

itry posted:

What happens when you run out? :ohdear:

bring back rose matafeo

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I've been rewatching/catching up on NZ s3 since I think I stopped watching at some point. Episode 7 has a set of really good tasks, but It seems to me that they should have put the 'Give Paul Money' task after the task in which Paul realizes he's not being paid like everyone else is. Also, the action film task was probably one of my favorite tasks in any version.

Also, seeing more David Correos is always a treat

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

My top seasons are 4,5,9,and 12. And NZ 2. 7 was funny but too openly antagonistic to be in the top 5.

E: I really enjoyed Jo Brand though.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 14, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CatstropheWaitress posted:

13 was the only one I feel like I've seen that got to about that point, where the cast was clearly having a hoot by the end of it. The only raincloud on that series is that Judi Love is clearly being affected towards the end that she never gets a sustained victory. They lay it surprisingly thick on her despite the fact that it's bothering her in a way that's just kind of a bummer to watch. Pointing out and laughing that she could have won an episode if she had done the final task properly just felt kind of cruel. Particularly cause she is fun as hell to watch regardless.

Yeah, I definitely felt the same way. The episode where she just almost took it was heartbreaking.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

What are the good non-english TMs to take a look at?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Also amazing: the action film task.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

LesterGroans posted:

Which NZ season had the saboteur in the three person team task? Because that was a stroke of genius that I was so happy the UK version used.

That was season 2.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ron Funches was a joy to watch, but the rest was mediocre to bad.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Dropout Taskmaster should have Brennan as taskmaster and Sam as the assistant (he's the one I feel has the most Alex Horne energy, even when he's running Game Changer etc) imho

e: my top 5 tasks for introducing people to taskmaster, in no particular order:

1) coconut businessman (series 5) - great riffing from greg, especially with aisling's and bob's attempts, and nish's terrible southern accent is hilarious
2) Alex Horne's pop up time shop for balloon bop (series 12) - mostly for victoria and desiree's attempts but also because of the phrase 'missed by a bee's dick'
3) make the most exotic sandwich/eat the most exotic sandwich (series 4) - one of the classic fake-out tasks and probably the best. mel's monument to diabetes is amazing, as is the tiny 'oh, gang' she lets out when she gets the second part of the task
4) get the potato in the hole (series 2) - naturally
5) prize task: the creepiest thing (series 7) - I kinda feel like you need to have at least one prize task on the list, and between the mummified cat, Kerri's horrific t-shirt, and Rhod's short film, this would be my first choice (plus Phil's actually quite lovely submission).

Leraika fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 22, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

smackfu posted:

What’s this now?

https://taskmastersupermaxplus.vhx.tv/

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I haven't seen the whole of it since I'm saving it to watch with family but the prize task was really good - I think the prize tasks for the treats have all been good, really.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Pablo Bluth posted:

My theory: non-comedians, especially with only one episode, are really motivated to come up with something good. In the regular series, and ten times more objects to think of, tend to say "I'm funny enough to wing it with anything" and bring in half-arsed efforts.

that makes a lot of sense - and it's probably easier for Greg to riff on the poo poo ones for the same reason too (looking at you, John Hannah).

Anyway, watched the whole thing. I'd happily watch Mo Farah do anything task-related, I think. He was clearly having a blast and he's the kind of person who it's really fun to watch having fun.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I desperately want to know what that tea and cookie task is about.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I liked Jo but she's got a very different sort of energy to most tm contestants so I understand why most people won't.

the egg task is still one of my favorites.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I was kinda lukewarm on him until the part where he got really excited about a multiple disqualification.

he's a different flavor of jerk than Greg, but he's still fun.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Judi can borrow a dog whenever she wants, thus she's already winning

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

itry posted:

They have good energy and I attribute it largely to using the NZ crew to set things up.

Normally I really deslike the "phone prank" tasks, but Luke's phonecall was pretty cute. Also didn't enjoy the pizza waste.

yeah I think this was a pretty harmless one in terms of tasks that involve the outside world. Also Danielle almost immediately breaking when she realized her Nana was worried about her :3:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I remember hearing that Ed Gamble planned to bring in some Kevin Spacey DVDs for 'best defunct thing' but got shot down.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

exmarx posted:

just watched ep 1 of Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont-Spelling Bee. the middle round dragged a bit, but it's good!

yeah I don't think the spell like a sixth grader bit needed to be two cycles but the rest was really fun

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah everyone just absolutely knocked it out of the park with this week's episode, or whatever it is they do in cricket.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Julia's been my favorite ever since the orange juice task directly into going hey tom this is what I'd look like if I were dead.

Everyone's great though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Khanstant posted:

4 eps into UK14 and is John Kearns the worst taskmaster contestant in terms of successfully completing tasks yet?

I feel like either Jo or David would give him a run for his money, depending on how you define successfully completing tasks

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

smackfu posted:

That rose task was brilliant.

That concrete sidewalk through the woods was odd, didn’t remember seeing that in the prior episodes or NZ season.

It showed up, to my recollection, in the golf ball task and enchanted forest task from S3, and I wanna say the photograph Paul and multiple-character video (Matt's) from S2? I know I've seen it before, just not from that particular angle.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Alex Horne had that one show, The Button, that was similar, right?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

eke out posted:

studio task on this australian episode is so good

I spent every week from the time I saw it in the trainer up until now wondering just what the tea task was and I'm happy to say it was everything I imagined and more.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I think it's extremely close but Luke's my least favorite by like a hair, and Julia's still my favorite by the same. This is still an incredible cast and an incredible season though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Snowy posted:

Oh wow I love Greg Davies but completely missed that this show existed

Looks like I’ve got a lot to catch up on :)

welcome, we have such things to show you

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Start with series 4 or 5 tbh, or whichever series has your favorite british comedian on it

e: 13 is being posted on youtube right now, and that's a great one too

Leraika fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 27, 2023

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Someday I hope they'll get Sue Perkins but it probably will not happen.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

A full series with Rylan Clark would be amazing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Hello Pragmatica!

I really hope TM australia gets a second series; it's amazing how it just keeps being great week after week.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Phigs posted:

They should do a task that is ultimately fairly simple but put emphasis on making absolutely sure you have completed all of the requirements of the task and have Alex do his are you sure bit when they say they're done. And when they say they're done again have him do that infuriating "hmm" he does. Just really mess with their heads. Especially if it comes sometime after that back of the task trick.

I feel like that was s12's ring the bell task. Poor ol' goosebump arm.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I was rooting for Julia to win TMAU but she crashed and burned at the last moment, alas. Danielle is a worthy winner, though, and Nina repaying her bet to Lesser Tom was great.

edit: spoiler contains the identity of the winner of TM AU series 1

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CatstropheWaitress posted:

TM Aus spoilers

Was amazed to hear Julia was in the running to win it all, and was really rooting for her to win. Danielle was fine, but is the kind of contestant I increasingly find myself rooting against: a competitive person that's also competent. Dara O'Brien is the most exemplary of that. Julia was so chaotic that her winning would have been a lot more satisfying.

it says a lot about this crop of contestants that Danielle 'didn't fully read the task' Walker was the competent one. What a perfect group for aus season one. Love 'em all.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Episode 2 was definitely better than episode 1 and I really like the team setup; excellent choices all around.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

kiminewt posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned since it's not very new but Fern Brady talks about Taskmaster in her book.
Since she's generally very honest I was afraid she said bad things but it sounds like she thinks it was the most fun thing she ever did, particularly because she didn't have to mask her autism (though I did not notice at the time).

Also just generally recommending the book/audiobook, whether you've got interest in Fern or autism or Scottish life. To quote another Scottish comedian, it's down to earth and VERY funny (also sad at times).

thanks for reminding me I wanted to grab a copy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The official ones are The People's Podcast and Taskmaster The Podcast. I listen to the latter and like it, couldn't tell you about the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Soylentbits posted:

Off Menu has nothing technically to do with the show but it’s hosted by Ed Gamble and James Acaster and they frequently reference Taskmaster or have guests from Taskmaster. It’s worth listening to just to learn about Greg Davies’s awful taste in food.

A jar of pesto with a spoon in it is a perfectly good side dish :colbert:

Alex Horne's taste in food, though....