Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Total Meatlove posted:

From his podcast, Ron’s talked about how doing Taskmaster he was driving from Essex to the Taskmaster house to film, then drive to places like Cardiff to do gigs, then drive home, on about 3 hours sleep.

Which makes him winning all the tasks all the more impressive.

Has there ever been a contestant on the show named Ron?

Also, if anyone else is hankering more TM, check out the New Zealand one. They play it a lot safer than the US one, copying the show's style completely – but it's still pretty fun. Host is not as much fun as Greg, but has enough of a presence to work. The guy playing 'Alex' is very Alex-y.

New season of that coming yet this year will have Guy Montgomery from 'The Worst Idea of All Time' podcast on it. :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"Yis. We can all agree it's a very fuckable chocolate"

Guy Montgomery races to the lead of the cast just five minutes in.

The first task is solid stuff. Digging this a lot so far.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 10, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The latest episode of NZ Taskmaster has solidified this as up there with season 7 and 11. The tasks are fantastic, and the cast is solid stuff. There's a task in this one to "Float this brussel sprout down from this balcony" that might be an all time favorite.

If you're in the states, the two episodes out now are on Youtube.

The only weak point is the guy they have playing the Task Master, who just kind of seems like an rear end in a top hat without the self-deprecation / school teacher charm Davies conveys.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 15, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sighence posted:

Nothing will ever, ever beat the VHS tape, mainly due to the buildup to it. I respect the energy of discount Jeff Goldblum on the last NZ episode though, we need more clowning on the taskmaster.

Extended discussion of it: https://vimeo.com/302885128

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Paladinus posted:

Guy is a more of a calculating type of maniac, always very deliberate in his outbursts of lunacy, while David is chaotic in a child-like way. Both are fantastic in their own right.

How much David throws himself into every task is such a delight.

Rhod has set too high a bar for old friend abusing the task master, so I kind of wish Matt Heath had more cleverness to his insults. Still enjoyable enough though.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This NZ season is easily up there with Season 7 as best ever one imo.

Cast is excellent, but they are really hitting it out of the park with the tasks. The rocking chair one was brilliant, but the Abe Lincoln one might one of my favorite.

Seeing that bucket in the background of episodes is such a delight as well.

"How well do you know Yu-Gi-Oh?"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

woke kaczynski posted:

I will fight to the end of my days to say David was robbed for his nude exhibition changing the atmosphere of the room

Hard agree.

Don't sleep on Guy Montgomery's amazingly deadpan quips.

I started the season hating Matt Heath, but he's done such a poo poo job and owned it so well that I'm on board now. Giving away 200 cds of your band that didn't sell? Brilliant stuff.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.paulskeyemporium.com/

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont-Spelling Bee, with all the other S2 contestants. Seems like they all got along during the filming, so it's nice to see that seems to be the case. Delightful stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap4Fji-JZ8Q

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Paladinus posted:

David Correos's growing agitation throughout the series was my favourite part, and the final episode had a fantastic pay off to that plotline. Really hope New Zealand has enough comedians and TV personalities for at least a couple more years.

They did a live watch & QA after the show where they spent more than an hour answering questions about the show, including tasks that didn't air, how they felt in various moments, and it's all just the best. Paul Williams is there for all of it, and Jeremey sticks around for a short while too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWwbuJw2hmw

Don't think it topped S7, but it's right up next to it as as good as this show can get. drat what a good time.

drunken officeparty posted:

Swap 1st and 2nd place and they are in order of who I liked the most.

Final scores were surprisingly tight by the end!

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 8, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My kingdom for Jermaine Clement in TM. Rhys Derby feels like a very safe bet though for another season. Haven't seen a greenlight for a third season for em', but fingers crossed.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

After posting that I wondered what Jermaine was up to, upcoming film wise. The answer may surprise you: Avatar 2 and 3 lol. Good on him.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pablo Bluth posted:

Seven is probably the peak of Taskmaster so far.

+ season 2 of the NZ one. Which is all on Youtube free to watch if somehow ya'll missed it being discussed i this thread.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

stev posted:

Alan's obscure Simpsons hoodie got a big reaction from me.

Oh that's great. Alan's a cozy presence on the show so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NH6TGZTcc

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Richard Ayoade or bust

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Heavy_D posted:

Also, although Victoria hasn't had the best run of episode scores, each time she's won a task she's been utterly overkill on it. The clinical, precise tasting on last week's doggy bag task, copying Alex very precisely. Just needs a few of those to fall into the same episode.

Her and Alan are my favorites this season. Alan seems to be stumbling through each task, without much ambition to really win but having a good time vs. Victoria's gumption. She may be doing not-so-great point wise, but she's a delight on the show.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still haven't announced a TM NZ S3, but it feels promising and an acknowledgement of how good that last season was that they keep showing up on the main TM Podcast.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Seeing Hugh Dennis in the latest Bond film was a delight, even if he gets shot to death within five minutes of his introduction.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Victoria was probably my favorite contestant this season. Just such a delight seeing someone who's head smart try to logic their way through the show and fail so spectacularly.

Gus is so drat charismatic, Alan's just having a toot, Morgana is throwing herself into everything, and Desiree finds everything absurd but still tackles them.

Overall not as good as S7 or NZS2, but definitely up among the best imo.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I would put money on them bringing David over to the UK to do a one-off special with "contestants from other Taskmaster versions" in a year or two. Everyone loves the guy.

Also, he's selling that calendar he made for a prize task. Spend the whole year with a nearly naked man:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVCrP0LpYgT/?utm_medium=share_sheet

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

While Victoria was my favorite from this season, you do get a sense from the show and the podcast that she probably wouldn't jump to do more TM. Champions work because everyone there was celebrated and came out on top of their season, giving them an incentive to show up for the CoC. Champion of Losers has the people who took a lot more gruff during the show (even jokingly) and I can't imagine many would be thrilled to return under that banner.

Just kind of feels mean in concept, basically.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The format just works so well.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Season six did give us Alex sitting in a cake.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What's the deal with the Baroness for us U.S. fans?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm slightly concerned that they still haven't confirmed a NZ series 3.

Fo' real. How is this not a slam dunk decision.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

S10 isn't helped by the fact that Daisy seemed to legit dislike being around Richard Harrington. Can kind of see why, but outside of the animal drawings bit, it never felt like that was played for laughs as much as it was actual distaste.

The best seasons of this show are where the cast falls into a groove. By the end of TM NZ S2, they all seem like straight up buds. TM S7, and to some extent S12, there's just a really good chemistry between the casts in a way that the parts become greater than the whole.

Feel like the 'worse' seasons are where there isn't that gel and it does feel like five people individually competing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wozniak has such a powerful stache. :allears:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Disappointing Pie posted:

Kinda worried we still haven’t heard about a NZTM 3 yet.

fwiw they didn't announce season 2 until March of last year, on a similar calendar to this round.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I love taskmaster but I dislike the further specific narrowing/specification of what 5.99 gets you for a streaming service. Netflix would be sure a good home for em' but ah well.

If someone wants to watch and report back if they subtitle the non-english TM's well enough, might consider signing up!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Find the M&M in the bag of skittles. 1 second penalty for every skittle eaten.

Too easy, just smash em'.

Also seconding that John Cena as a TM would be awful. It'd be akin to Jeremy Wells, who's fine, but easily the weakest part of TM NZ. The school teacher/mad aristocrat energy Greg brings is just perfect. You'd want like, Conan O'Brien. A *comically* imposing figure who has no qualms about leaning into the shows abusrdity.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pinwiz11 posted:

It totally should be Craig. :colbert:

I can get behind this.

But then... who plays the assistant?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Conan isn't threatening enough. And you'd have to have somebody extra-able to shut down rowdy contestants to deal with Americans just with their air of authority.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYgveD5B-V0

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

evobatman posted:

I didn't mean they all went there at the same time.

Who is the person next to John Oliver?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"Cabaret Performer" in the wiki title feels like a knife twist given what his colleagues are up to.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Speaking of, would expect to be hearing about New Zealand right about now. There's no way they'd can it after that last one... right? Right?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Heavy_D posted:

Oh, and if you believe the say-so of a single random voice on twitter, then TM NZ S3 is confirmed

I choose to believe. Yay yay

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

exmarx posted:

sophie duker rules

Yeah, the rap battle was perfect.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Dunno if you were here last time it came up in the thread (it comes up pretty regularly) but most people ended up agreeing on Marc Evan Jackson being a pretty great idea for Taskmaster.

You spelled Conan O'Brien wrong :huh:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Khanstant posted:

I can see Conan as Taskmaster in terms of antagonistic host, but I have a harder time seeing him muster the "give a poo poo" for many of the tasks.

I think the most important quality is that from his shows he recognizes what a joy it is to be the 'king' of a little domain.

The_Doctor posted:

Weirdly, I could see him better in the Alex role.

This is crazy talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's kind of funny that Taskmaster US was one of the first offshoots, and also probably took the most stylistic divergence from the original show. Every adaption I've seen since seems to be 100% true to the design of the original show, in both relationship of TM and Assistant and literal wallpapers.

Hard agree that there's an incredible pool of people in LA (Comedy Bang Bang and College Humor's troupe come to mind), but have to figure at this point there's some weird rights thing going on. Like Comedy Central maybe still has exclusive rights or something.

SlothfulCobra posted:

My first thought of her outfit was that she was dressing up Amish, but she's got a holster in there, so I guess it's some kind of cowboy thing?

There was this fashion trend in the mid 2010's of hipsters wearing wide brimmed black hats. I... think her outfit is more cowboy themed, but I've always unfairly judged people in those because of the trend.

She seems like a delightful goofball so far with absolutely no chance of winning.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 18, 2022