Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I love this series so far. I don't dislike a single contestant even a little. Only part I haven't liked so far is the CGI stuff.

Also, (S14E01 spoiler) Dara was robbed in that bird drawing task. It was clearly a perfectly good pelican with the beak on the left as he said:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

He's like a gray man though. My mind just slides off him when he's not doing anything interesting so he doesn't annoy me.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Look at how they meet on that task and she says "hi, nice to meet you" after Alex introduces them to each other. So she clearly has never met him before then. And she acts so loving awkward with him already. It looks like it's just her being her (and needing to pee).

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Glad I read through the thread and saw all those NZ Taskmaster grows on you posts. I couldn't get through the first episode last time but it really does get a lot better (and/or you get used to the people) in just a few episodes. Especially the Alex equivalent, he seemed super dire the first time I saw him but he's not that bad at all now.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I can't find TMNZ S2E2 though. :(

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bertha the Toaster posted:

There used to be a wiki on Reddit that had links to most of the episodes for all the variants. I'm sure you can find it through googling.

:cheers:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The studio banter from the UK team is worlds better than the NZ team is the big one. When I first saw the NZ crew in the studio I thought it was pretty dire. Then Paul got to the point where he was fine in the studio, but it was in the tasks where he really grew on me. I might even agree he's better in-task than Alex. But Alex wipes the floor with him when it comes to the studio, though to be fair his and Greg's exact personas would make it a lot easier. Paul and Jeremy's are a bit too rigid and impersonal to make for great banter. I hope they loosen up a bit more as they make more seasons.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Josh's trick or treat task in S3E10 of NZ had me laughing until it hurt.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I love that Alex reacts every single time Zimbabwe is mentioned.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

What is the thing that John bought the streaker for? I think it's some English thing I have no way of knowing.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ah cool, and looking at how it's spelled I'd have never googled it.

The luggage trolley task said "starting behind the line". Nothing about staying behind the line. So IMO you could start running from behind the line and then just run the trolley into the target trolley. They did the whole John violating the rules fake out but I don't think he'd be wrong even if he did, so long as he started behind it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Transcribing it from the episode:

quote:

Place one luggage trolley a certain distance away from the line.
Then, starting behind the line, strike that luggage trolley with another luggage trolley.
If you strike the first luggage trolley with another luggage trolley, you may move the first luggage trolley further away.
You may not move any unsuccessful luggage trolleys.
Furthest luggage trolley struck wins.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

As soon as they showed the room I said "hello New Zealand".

All the tasks felt pretty special or different and everyone had some good moments. Really great episode.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Whether or not it's better for us, putting a time limit on it has got to be better for them. They filmed one of the NZ dudes for 84 minutes.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My favorite part was Sarah finding out about the smell, having to hide her knowledge from Munya, and then miming how it happened to Alex.

Actually they should make more no talking team challenges. The whole task was made way more fun because of it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

David Baddiel holds the honor of making the only segment I have never been able to watch the whole way through: that chickpea divinity whatever thing he did. It's so long and so cringy I just can't.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The only season I'd mostly write off would be 8. The only redeeming part of it is that it's Taskmaster. Paul Sinha is terrible in an unfunny way (though he was injured and had Parkinsons, which just makes him sad to watch sometimes). Then you had the 2 brats. Then round it out with 2 background people who would be fine filler in a normal season where they just allow more time for the more interesting contestants, which is the beauty of Taskmaster and why I don't tend to mind the less interesting people, but in 8 there's nothing to distract from them.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I like 10 but I'll agree it has some pretty low points and some really dragged out tasks. And I agree 9 is pretty weak, doubling up on the don't give a gently caress old person archtype wasn't great. On reflection I think some of the worst seasons, just above 8 for me and roughly around 6, are 1-3 because you really miss those additional episodes we get now.

My top seasons are 5, 11, and 14 (already).

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

7 would have gotten into my top list on a 1st watch. But I rewatch these all the time and it doesn't hold up as well for me as my favorites. Just a little too aggro and the shock value naturally fades on the rewatch. Phil's haggling gag makes me want to die now. Still high up there tho.

And yeah TMNZ 2 is amazing. I'll have to watch it a bit more to see if it hangs with my favorites though.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My only criticism of Victoria is she should have brought her drat glasses with her.

My favorite from her was her reward tasks. The masterful re-use was of course amazing, but how much Greg hated her offerings and it ending with her declaring it makes her weep to present the last one and remember how she thought Greg would enjoy her jokes.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 16, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I thought John was just saying he loves eating chocolate bunnies cause that's the only Cadbury rabbit we have here.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Really good episode, some of the best creative tasks entries too. And good to see Fern win an episode so we don't get another never-winner like last season. Though it looks like Sarah might have lost her chance at the win the season here and it's just Dara's to lose at this point.

This is shaping up to be my favorite season.

Also they're doing Taskmaster Australia. I haven't watched Australian telle for decades so I don't recognize most of them, and the one I do I'm not a fan of but hopefully it works out. Would be awesome having another good English language Taskmaster.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I *do* like him tho. One episode left, Sarah's only trailing by 5 points! The other three are remarkably close, but much further back.

I didn't realize it was that close. I guess Dara had a pretty weak episode last week that put them very close.

I hope Dara wins. Mostly because while I'd be happy for either of them to win Dara clearly wants it more, but not to the point that it's annoyed me. It is more fun that it's not a done thing though so I'm still happy they're so close.

And yeah the prize task was kinda set up to be pretty poo poo. Though I think they could have done better. Like John's business card entry from earlier in the series could have fit in here and done well. They needed to do something much more out of left field than they did.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 25, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Although, if Dara loses it would probably be attributable back to John's betrayal which would be delicious.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I don't want people to "be funny" on Taskmaster. The humor of the show comes from people genuinely trying the tasks and the contrasting ways that plays out for each one, plus the banter. I don't see how Dara trying to be funny would improve anything, and for me a lot of laughs have come from Dara's competitiveness/playing the straight man.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think if everybody did crazy stuff we'd just get less tasks and/or studio banter. It makes me think of that episode in season 10 that's almost entirely that play task dragging on forever. And you need the competent straightforward approach to contrast with the "and now here's Nish" kind of attempts. This season I feel is a real good example where there is just so much crazy going on the editors are spoiled for choice and the episodes feel really full of good stuff with very little filler.

I can totally see it being a matter of taste of course, but I think on the whole the show is better off for having that kind of approach in the mix.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The trick or treat one is great too.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Awesome series. I feel like the end couple episodes were a little weaker than the middle but still pretty great.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Watching Fern feels like watching a young child. You get to see someone who hasn't been conditioned to hide all their weird quirks just reacting purely to whatever is going on. And it's really sweet and endearing.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The base premise of being put in the caravan and having to eat a grape was definitely, though the exact setup was very different.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Just saw above. Who’s line is an interesting example. People love who’s line, but it’s significantly sillier and more rapid fire than taskmaster. I didn’t touch on it above, but standard taskmaster is probably considered to slow moving (jokes per minute) for American TV for most viewers.

I got my brother to watch Taskmaster and he bounced off of it saying it felt too slow for him.

I blame his anime-poisoned brain though.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The last episode of the Taskmaster Podcast with Paul Sinha makes me feel better about season 8. Hearing him say that his terrible performance in a lot of tasks is him just being poo poo a lateral thinking, not Parkinson, makes those more funny than they were. Was hard to laugh at someone who seemed to be deteriorating due to illness, but I can laugh all day at someone on Taskmaster being an idiot at some task because they're just not good at that sort of thing.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah he even mentions laughing at himself in the transfer rice task when watching it back for the podcast. It's a relief knowing he's not upset by his performance, well, besides the usual way TM contestants are about it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That sand bucket task where the taller contestants could easily grab the task without unleashing the sand and she couldn't did seem pretty unfair to her.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That was a fun watch.

I do think on another series and in another mood Greg could have disqualified all of them on the no bending waist/knees task.

Also I liked the twist of giving a task to the contestants that the taskmaster's assistant wasn't aware of in that Yogscast one. The possibilities for tormenting or confusing Alex are endless there.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I like what I'm seeing from the Taskmaster so far, giving off a different vibe from Greg too which is good cause I don't think he'd pull it off otherwise. I wonder how the assistant is going to play things since they don't really show him doing anything.

And the point is we get more Taskmaster. :colbert:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

This makes me think TMNZ is capped at like 5 seasons without repeats.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Holy poo poo I forgot how bad free to air television is with all the ads.

EDIT: Wow that last adbreak completely destroyed the momentum. Had to like, settle my thoughts before I could remember if I enjoyed it. I did though, it was fun. But whew channel 10 sure tried hard to gently caress it up. I'll just skip the live showing from now on.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 2, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah I have had adblock for years and only watch things through my computer so I'm definitely not used to ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Imagine not being able to fully appreciate Greg's joke that before the show he used to believe Ardal played a character on Father Ted.