Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

It's worth pointing out that Series 3 is also the last series with only one female contestant. From Series 4 onwards there would be at least two (and in series 9 the women actually outnumber the men.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

I don't mind series 3 at all. It's definitely not one of the standout greats but it's nowhere near as bad as 6 or 9.

Woah, what's wrong with 6?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

This smug prick for one thing. It just wasn't a very good mix of contestants though and the tasks didn't make up for it. I usually enjoy Alive Levine but she did nothing for me in this group. The only one I remember being sort of enjoyable was Asim Chaudhry and some of Liza Tarbuck.

I enjoyed S6 because of Tim Vine. Liza Tarbuck was a pleasant surprise. Russell Howard I normally enjoy but yeah, he was pretty insufferable on Taskmaster.

I still firmly believe the worst series is Series 10, though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Starting at Series 1 makes the most sense tbh. If people want to discuss the podcast as well then fair enough.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

Jo Brand is the worst contestant

This statement works for Taskmaster and also every other panel show

She's also the only TM contestant in history to go to the toilet in the middle of a timed task.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LupusAter posted:

I don't think so because in this lineup Alan Davies fills the same slot of "older, well-respected comedian and panel show veteran". Also I hope not becase I feel an entire season of Taskmaster could rest solely on David Mitchell impotently and petulantly railing against the unfair judgements of a petty and uncaring Taskmaster.

David Mitchell and Richard Ayoade are my two dream TM participants. Although both in the same series would probably be a bit much.

I reckon Jimmy Carr would be good as well, though probably a bit too big for the show, despite being a Channel 4 veteran

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

You know who I thought would be horrible but turned out to be loving hilarious in the New Year's Treat edition?

Shirley Ballas. Would love to see her in a full season.

Also Rylan was pretty funny, too

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm up to series 3.

Paul Chowdhry is amazing.

I'm also surprised by Al Murray. I always kind of assumed he was a poundland Jeremy Clarkson but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Granted he is mainly known for being The Pub Landlord but yeah, it's just a character.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

OrthoTrot posted:

I seem to remember some interview with Gregg and Alex where they said getting Frank Skinner in season 1 was a huge boost. I don't know what pull he has internationally but in the UK they felt at least that it gave a sense of production quality to the whole thing to have such an established name.

Getting Frank Skinner was what basically persuaded the other Series 1 contestants to sign up.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Tim Vine was the only good thing about S6.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I don't care how orange she is, everytime I see Claudia Winkleman on TV I fall in love with her that little bit more. I think it's the combination of funny and crazy, along with her self deprecating humour.

I can't stand Adrian Chiles normally but he was very funny. I'd be perfectly happy to see him and Claudia in a full series.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

sebzilla posted:

I'd enjoy seeing more Tim Key, his blend of manic enthusiasm and bare-faced cheating was wonderful, and he was usually good at finding an unusual way to attempt tasks too. Maybe not quite top 5 but definitely up there.

Tim Key knows too much about the show and comes up with most of the tasks anyway, it'd be fun for a one off episode but not a full series.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Brilliant episode.

I may be falling slightly in love with Lucy Beaumont.

Sorry Sally Phillips, Beaumont is my new Taskmaster crush now

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm sad we only have one episode left with this brilliant bunch.

Think i'm going to miss Julian the most.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Trabant posted:

I'm very early, but suggesting "How we laughed" as the next thread subtitle.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Watched the finale last night, my wife reckons it was Paul 'O Grady in the urn as Julian and Paul were neighbours and close friends.

The live studio segments were filmed in May this year which was shortly after Paul 'O Grady died (March).

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, no thank you.

I think you mean

"Ur, nurhhh thank yer"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Feel like some love should be shown to Dru Masters, he's the guy who composes all the incidental music played during the recorded tasks.

The official TM app has a jukebox hidden inside it, and some guy on YouTube ripped and uploaded them all.

My favourite by far is Roaring 20s

Edit - Rotten Eggs slaps, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWeG9xVAsLw

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 22, 2023

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Leraika posted:

VCM's off menu was great. If you want another similarly deranged one, check out Claudia Winkleman's (technically on-topic for this thread, even)

Claudia Winkleman is deranged full stop.

I absolutely adore her though, would love to have seen her in a full TM series.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Sorry but Greg's Horizontiglass idea is actually genius and i'd buy it.

Edit - ok so they already exist, sort of

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 4, 2024

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yeah it'll have been non-toxic paint.

Not sure squirting it in your eyes is such a good idea though.

As for H&S violations, I was very surprised they allowed Bob Mortimer to drop a balloon full of his piss (warm fun) onto Sally Philips from a crane.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it depends, for a lot of tasks the funny part is that they absolutely do not have enough time to think it through. The really long ones though can be funny because they clearly have way more time than they would ever actually need which means the only ceiling is how much effort they're willing to put into the task in their own spare time. Although the fact that a lot of these tasks end up pretty half-assed might be why they've stopped doing them.

Indeed. Compare the effort put into this task, for instance

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Sorry but nothing will be more disappointing than Katherine Ryan winning Series 2 solely due to a stupid live task scoring mechanic that they used once and then never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

oh jay posted:

I don't know these people, but Dracula is going to be right up there with Spaghetti Western Gunslinger as far as costumes go.

"Dracula" is Nick Mohammed (Nate from Ted Lasso)

Oh and +1 for "I bet you've got a barbecue"