Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Baddiel was fine to watch because he's basically useless. I found the season with the poo poo tag-team of Al Murray and Dave Gorman hard to take on rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The morse-code bit never worked because it's too antiquated by this point. They do a similar thing when they write the Spanish phrase on the model boat (that Jon Richardson hilariously reads but fails to process) but that one works because it's a fun little gamble on the part of the show as it's entirely possible that one or more of the contestants would have some understanding of Spanish, but highly unlikely that anyone would have knowledge of morse-code.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The American one also suffered from contestants not really willing to go all in the way they should. Only Freddie Highmore (who isn't even a comedian) and Ron Funches really threw themselves into it.

The NZ one has been fantastic this season. Deserves to be as revered as highly as some of the original seasons are. Jeremy is still an insane scorer but it's my only real complaint.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

There's a fun one that's just Rhod and Greg talking about when they were living in Edinburgh during the Fringe. Part of it makes it in to the episode, but the extended one has a great part with the story where Greg breaks Rhod's Mac with a potato gun.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Personally I wouldn't have scored Mae for that throw. I loved Greg pointing out that the audience just sat there arms folded at their attempt because it does kind of suck the fun out of things when someone competes the way Mae does, and I like Mae, but some people want to look clever rather than foolish and sure I get that, but as an audience member it's not that enjoyable to watch.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 22, 2023

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I think it’s that none of the contestants are very creative OR good at most of the tasks.

The best parts of the show are
- someone does something perfectly or first try or finds the gimmick
- someone does something really creative outside the box
- someone does something insane because they think it’s creative and fail miserably.

None of them do the above, almost ever. Mae occasionally comes close to doing things well, but they’re so uncharismatic about it and it’s too rare that it doesn’t feel fun.

No one is off the rails. No one really thinks differently. In fact, there seems to be a large number of tasks this season where they all do the exact same thing. I can’t think of a single other season of UK Taskmaster where “most poignant imaginary friend scene” would result in 4/5 being death, with 3/5 being so similar Greg had to score on how well they wailed at the death rather than the scene.

The studio banter is so excellent that it makes the season fun enough to enjoy, but I think it’s the only thing holding it up.

To be fair, I think asking for most 'poignant' is either going to get you A) Death or B) What Ivo did. I figured it was going to go down that road as soon as they said it, but then without it you wouldn't have much of a task. I think that, and Alex getting a bit too clever with the 'no touching the green' stuff harkens back to Season 10 and some of those tasks in which they end up being quite limiting. On the studio front I'm probably wrong but I feel like there's less back and forth with eachother (unlike say, last Season) and more back and forth via Greg or Alex instead. I'm actually enjoying it because it's quite the contrast in personalities, but the tasks themselves have been kinda poo poo. Maybe we should start borrowing a little more from the other countries.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 6, 2023

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I agree with the Mae stuff. I find them likeable and funny in a low key way, but I've started to zone out during their attempts. I started to think about Joe Thomas' rant about putting a bit of effort in.

To that end, I think the tasks are weak this year. Conceptually they're not that interesting and don't lend themselves to variety all that much. It's been a testament to the cast how funny the show has been despite all that. But if I did another rewatch I think I'd skip this one entirely.

Oh and Alex screwed Ivo on that jelly task. You could easily argue you were within the spirit of the task, but Alex continued insinuating he was doing it wrong.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think this season they were lucky they had the cast they did because a lot of tasks fell flat for me. A few in particular felt like they would have ended up on the cutting room floor if it wasn't for at least one person's out of box effort. Usually Jenny or Ivo.

I don't think there's really any rewatchability with this one. I'm not going to rag on Mae, but in the task where they have to write the song, Mae chooses the profession they think will get them the win, while Frankie picks a dog walker in the earnest hope he might get to meet a dog. We can call it the Russell Howard problem.

Lastly, it would have been a much more interesting season if there wasn't that huge point lead early on and if there wasn't so many 3 vs 2 tasks.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 12, 2023

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I really liked Dai actually. He reminded me of a fun uncle. He just had this happy to be there vibe and was willing to look stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's got to the point now where I see the prize task as something to be endured before the real show begins. It's been bad for a long time and I don't know if it's the prompts or just fairly unimaginative people.