Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

infernal machines posted:

My mother was one of those in the late 80s, early 90s, and her mother was one in the 50s.

You make a good point about programs that are actually rebates, because they only work if you already have the money in hand to afford the thing to begin with, just like tax rebates only help if you have taxable income. They do help a lot of people, and yet they way they're structured ensures that the people they don't help are already in dire straits.

I point to the Canada Greener Homes Grant/Loan here. You can't get the grant or the loan until after the work is already done. You can get a percentage advance on the loan but there are vanishingly few contractors willing to do a job on the promise that they'll get paid the remaining 90% ??? months later when the loan process finally grinds through. We could only install a heat pump because we could've afforded it anyway and so we're getting free money and an interest free loan from taxpayers when we're certainly near-ish the top of wealth already.

That said, I suppose that program is more about incentivizing environmentally-friendly changes than actual monetary assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

There are lots of good points here about how the childcare program both succeeds and falls short, but I’m actually really offended at the underlying implication that if families didn’t need two incomes to survive then of course they wouldn’t need access to childcare because one of them (GUESS WHO for straight couples) would stay home with the kid(s. “Improve material conditions and childcare isn’t needed anymore” are you serious ITT.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I reread the last page and I must have missed it a second time because I didn't notice anyone saying that explicitly or implied.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Okay I’ve also simmered down and reread the last page and will redirect my complaint here:

Bleck posted:

And, again, the success of a program that reduces the costs of child care services has no reasonable bearing on the reality of why child care is so expensive, or even, really, even necessary

Bleck what do you mean you don’t think childcare services should be necessary? (I am of the opinion they should be a widely available public service and also free, for the record.)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think there's some value in kids going to daycare as a way to socialize. But right now you're either stuck having to do it because you can't afford to stay home, or the perverse incentive where if I worked I'd be handing over my entire paycheque so my kid could go to daycare.

I think the goal of a more equitable society - or whatever you want to call it - is to give families choices. Ontario at least has the EarlyON program which, honestly, I'm not sure how it hasn't been defunded yet, but that's a playgroup, not daycare.

A parental leave program for both parents after they have a child would probably be another good step. It'd put a dent in post-partum depression rates, from what I understand of recent research on the subject.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The most charitable read, and the one that I think is correct and I agree with is that both parents shouldn’t be forced to work in order to make ends meet thus making child care a necessity rather than an option.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

ZShakespeare posted:

The most charitable read, and the one that I think is correct and I agree with is that both parents shouldn’t be forced to work in order to make ends meet thus making child care a necessity rather than an option.

Ok yes
But that clearly isn't what Bleck is arguing. Their argument to me seems to boil down to "The libs did it so it's automatically bad because they hate women(according to me)"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's how I read it. If you want to put those words in their mouth, it seems like a you problem.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

Well that's how I read it. If you want to put those words in their mouth, it seems like a you problem.

You are far too charitable to them, considering their entire posting history and how many people came in to dispute their points

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Maybe I just speak Bleck? I'm sure they'll point out if I'm reading them wrong. In any case a bunch of posters coming in and misreading their posts doesn't sway me because before I became IK they constantly willfully misconstrued my posts into something a lot easier to refute as well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Bleck posted:

Yeah, and then they spend the entirety of their tenure, at best, doing nothing to help women. Who cares?

Yup. You speak Bleck so tell me how I misinterpreted this one

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ZShakespeare posted:

it's this yes

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yup. You speak Bleck so tell me how I misinterpreted this one

Well, my reading is as follows:

1. Bleck's thesis is that the Liberals have done to anything to help women.

Bleck posted:

Yeah, and then they spend the entirety of their tenure, at best, doing nothing to help women. Who cares?

2. Posters point out that the Liberal party has enacted one single policy that benefits women. (Good and true)
3. Bleck points out that the policy has massive accessibility issues (true), and that women face many other problems that are more severe than childcare (I agree), and that childcare shouldn't be necessary. (also agree)

Bleck posted:

I'm glad to hear it's working for some people, too.

Keyword being some - not all child care centers have chosen to opt into the program, and the ones who have don't necessarily have the space and/or staff to accommodate more kids. I don't know how the program enables the daycares to lower their costs, but it, ostensibly, is not something that all daycare centers have decided is for them.

And, again, the success of a program that reduces the costs of child care services has no reasonable bearing on the reality of why child care is so expensive, or even, really, even necessary - I don't consider it a success for the Libs to slightly ease the pain of the economic systems that they otherwise overwhelmingly support, for some people.

Also frankly I'm one of many adults I know that's so hosed for money that I gave up on dreams of having kids because I knew I just plain wouldn't be able to afford it, so whenever someone with some cushy job comes in and is like "oh thank god I don't have to pay thousands of dollars a month for daycare for my kids while I'm at my benefits-package job where I count string all day or whatever" it's like, yeah! That's a good thing, it really is! But also, gently caress off, you know? It's hard to see "people were helped" as a victory when you feel deep down that the people that benefited were probably often people who didn't, like... need it...?

4. Kaom posts asking why Bleck doesn't think childcare should be necessary.

kaom posted:

Okay I’ve also simmered down and reread the last page and will redirect my complaint here:

Bleck what do you mean you don’t think childcare services should be necessary? (I am of the opinion they should be a widely available public service and also free, for the record.)

5. bunny of doom comes in here and says that Bleck said "The libs did it so it's automatically bad because they hate women(according to me)"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok yes
But that clearly isn't what Bleck is arguing. Their argument to me seems to boil down to "The libs did it so it's automatically bad because they hate women(according to me)"

Now if you compare point 5 to points 1 and 3 you can see that there is a bit of a difference here.

This sort of constant parttern of willfully misconstruing posts is the reason that I have completely stopped effortposting as of about 10 years ago. Because taking 15-20 minutes to make a post like this and having some stranger on the internet accusing me of hating women or whatever isn't worth the loving effort, and is the reason that this thread is a cspam lite thread.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 27, 2024

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What does a world where childcare isn't necessary look like? I think even in a household with means, the parent(s) will necessarily want to either work or have something else to fill their days besides wrangling or educating kids. And if we're being realistic even in that world it's not going to be men that give up their talents, ambitions, and interests.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

What does a world where childcare isn't necessary look like? I think even in a household with means, the parent(s) will necessarily want to either work or have something else to fill their days besides wrangling or educating kids. And if we're being realistic even in that world it's not going to be men that give up their talents, ambitions, and interests.

I know a LOT of parents (including at least one man) who take a lot of pride of dedicating their time to raising their kids. I think ultimately it would look like whatever the parents involved would want it to look like.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

My mother worked a full time job until she was 34, married my dad and had me. The moment I came into the picture she never worked again except occasional odd jobs and part time work when she wanted the money. She chose to do this with full consent from everyone in the family. Some people just want to raise their own kids rather than be absent for most of their lives working. My mom did a lot of unpaid work, she cooked and cleaned and took care of me while my dad stayed working overtime to ensure we didn’t go hungry. This was understood to be a division of labor rather than a gender roles thing. In the end they came out of it all being able to retire and live out their golden years in Spain and Greece while I got the house rent free to myself

My mom wanted to be a mom from day 1. Everything else was secondary.

Parents should have the economic freedom to decide if one or both of them should have to work. And if both partners working is inevitable maybe this is where WFH arrangements should strongly be encouraged rather than forcing everyone to drive to an office. That way they can look after their kids.

It’s actually kind of crazy how many parents I’ve seen who just hand their kids a screen to distract them and that’s it. They don’t want to deal with their kids or bother with anything. Which leads me to ask, if you’re gonna be absent like that, why have kids at all?

I think we should live in a society where people get paid a lot more than they are and have a lot more time off from work including vacation, parental and education leave. We should also have gender equal pay so every couple gets to decide if one or both of them work and if they choose option 2 it’s because they want to and not because they need to.

I see some new parents out there and they’re absolutely miserable and I attribute that to being stressed out about having to work 8-6 every day and then come home and have to figure out cooking and cleaning while their kid who they couldn’t pay attention to starts rampaging on their fatigued asses. This could be avoidable if we all had more time and money to deal with these issues.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 27, 2024

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

For a lot of parents it's going to be the careers they've spent the last decade of their lives working towards paying for. Telling first-year undergrads of either gender that they'll be spending less time in the workforce with a master's then they'll be spending to earn it sounds like a great way to be pelted with pencils. Besides, after a decade off, is the education you've worked for going to be worth more than a tick in the box? Here's hoping your WFH arrangement is reeeeeeeeeally flexible!

So you go to work, work, come home, stretch a bit and then there are your not-starving, definitely still alive nonferal kids. The person who keeps them that way while you're gone is entitled to a living wage too, and if you're paying a fifth of it, you'll either need a great job or a bigger baby bonus cheque.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Where's that list of Canadian business success stories from a decade ago when you need it?

Anyway the article is too braindead to post so I leave only this tantalizing tidbit explaining how economies of scale lead to higher prices at different branded stores less than 1km apart:

quote:

In another particularly comical example of economic naivete, blogTO ran a story and accompanying social media video earlier this month, with breaking news that — brace yourselves — food tends to cost more at small urban pharmacies than large suburban big box stores.

“Customers are shocked by the price difference on the same items at various different Loblaw stores in Canada,” laments the host of the video. He goes on to quote the difference in the price of potato chips at Shoppers Drug Mart and Real Canadian Superstore and suggests this is an example of “price gouging,” apparently unaware that economies of scale affect how companies set prices at different locations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Where's that list of Canadian business success stories from a decade ago when you need it?

Anyway the article is too braindead to post so I leave only this tantalizing tidbit explaining how economies of scale lead to higher prices at different branded stores less than 1km apart:

lol

It all probably comes from the same distribution centres! What economies of scale. I work in distribution. I know how this works. There’s no way loblaws and shoppers have separate purchasing accounts with frito-lay. The company negotiated that volume for all their stories and jacked up the price at shoppers to take advantage of impulse buyers who were there for other reasons or because it might’ve been closer or more convenient than going to a superstore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I really hope they break down the economy of scale that dictates 100%+ price increases on some items (but not all) in high density urban markets.

They are a Canadian success story in that they have been wildly successful at extracting the maximum amount of value the market will bear.

But also a hearty lol at the notion that Justin Trudeau wants to destroy Loblaws. I know it's an NP op-ed but the hyperbole is overwhelming.

e: lol. No byline either. loving cowards.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 27, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

lol

It all probably comes from the same distribution centres! What economies of scale. I work in distribution. I know how this works. There’s no way loblaws and shoppers have separate purchasing accounts with frito-lay. The company negotiated that volume for all their stories and jacked up the price at shoppers to take advantage of impulse buyers who were there for other reasons or because it might’ve been closer or more convenient than going to a superstore.

Oh sure, but you know how much it costs to drive downtown? The poor dears are just getting soaked on logistics costs, can barely keep the lights on. They'll have to get by being one of the few options for groceries for like 60 thousand downtown condo dwellers.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

infernal machines posted:

I really hope they break down the economy of scale that dictates 100%+ price increases on some items (but not all) in high density urban markets.

They are a Canadian success story in that they have been wildly successful at extracting the maximum amount of value the market will bear.

But also a hearty lol at the notion that Justin Trudeau wants to destroy Loblaws. I know it's an NP op-ed but the hyperbole is overwhelming.

e: lol. No byline either. loving cowards.

It's probably by the Weston Professor

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Doesn't Loblaws also own their entire distribution network?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I really can't think of a less innovative company than loving Loblaws.

They put more chocolate chips in cookies??

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Try new President's Choice Memories of Affordability

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

RBC posted:

I really can't think of a less innovative company than loving Loblaws.

They put more chocolate chips in cookies??

Any of the major Canadian family owned companies are the same.
They grow by acquisitions and hold monopolies while abusing the local population.

Nothings changed since the days of the East India Company.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

trudeau will win if he campaigns on 'I will destroy galen Weston'

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Too bad he's running on "I will suck Galen Weston off to completion."

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

I think I misinterpreted Bleck’s post actually, due to the ambiguous wording - “childcare services existing should not be necessary” vs “use of childcare services should not be necessary” which are totally different.

IMO childcare services being available is still necessary even if neither parent needs to work, because someone’s identity should remain broader than simply “parent” and they should be able to choose to, say, go on an hours-long walk without having to wait for the kid(s) to be old enough to tag along. Not to mention single parents.

Also if you still need even one income coming in, it’s probably going to be the more ambitious or higher earner and that’s statistically going to be a man. :sigh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

trudeau will win if he campaigns on 'I will destroy galen Weston'

I know this was made in jest but I could legit see it happening. Weston and Loblaws are in a very very bad place in the public opinion right now. Even The Coward Douglas Ford has slowed down on his associating with them.

e: Say youre going to break up the Weston, Rogers, and Irving companies because of their monopolies and you might end up with the largest victory in Canadian history.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 28, 2024

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

kaom posted:

I think I misinterpreted Bleck’s post actually, due to the ambiguous wording - “childcare services existing should not be necessary” vs “use of childcare services should not be necessary” which are totally different.

I think that the former is a fair misread, but I meant the latter, yeah.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I know this was made in jest but I could legit see it happening. Weston and Loblaws are in a very very bad place in the public opinion right now. Even The Coward Douglas Ford has slowed down on his associating with them.

e: Say youre going to break up the Weston, Rogers, and Irving companies because of their monopolies and you might end up with the largest victory in Canadian history.

You might also end up dead

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i would love if galen just hosed off to his castle in britain never to be seen from again

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

So is the headline saying that Justin is cackling in his cottage because he just loves destroying successful things? That's a stupid attack line to try and take.

I also don't see how any of our grocery store are a "success story" really. They sell commodity goods that people need to survive. There's nothing unique or innovative about them. They succeeded because they were the best at monopolizing and acquiring which isn't a very exciting trait.

A success story in grocery probably looks more like Trader Joe's if you really must have one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

So is the headline saying that Justin is cackling in his cottage because he just loves destroying successful things? That's a stupid attack line to try and take.

I also don't see how any of our grocery store are a "success story" really. They sell commodity goods that people need to survive. There's nothing unique or innovative about them. They succeeded because they were the best at monopolizing and acquiring which isn't a very exciting trait.

A success story in grocery probably looks more like Trader Joe's if you really must have one.

There's a weird metanarrative that "Liberals hate success" or some such. So taxes, etc. just exist to punish the successful, likewise business regulations. Things like social support programs are intended to promote mediocrity and prevent people from supporting themselves. The guy who got thread banned referenced these ideas.

There's an undercurrent of social Darwinism, and it comes out in entirely bizarre ways like claiming the Prime Minister is trying to destroy a consumer goods company for their success.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Also, the consumer goods company exercises significant editorial control over the outlet spreading the message. Harnessing the genuine despair of people in hopeless financial situations by bringing them all together for a two minutes' hate against immigrants, people on benefits and lgbtq+ people is monstrous in its effectiveness, and our only hope is that the shrieking hordes somehow figure out on their own (because they won't be told) they've been lied to.

Those trucker assholes were a horrifying portent that went far beyond the threats to the personal safety of the marginalized people living nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Also, the consumer goods company exercises significant editorial control over the outlet spreading the message. Harnessing the genuine despair of people in hopeless financial situations by bringing them all together for a two minutes' hate against immigrants, people on benefits and lgbtq+ people is monstrous in its effectiveness, and our only hope is that the shrieking hordes somehow figure out on their own (because they won't be told) they've been lied to.

Those trucker assholes were a horrifying portent that went far beyond the threats to the personal safety of the marginalized people living nearby.

on the flip side the national post now does consumer package deliveries and they delivered the new taylor swift album this week so really no one is bad after all