Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

"When the school is on the reserve, the child lives with its parents, who are savages, and though he may learn to read and write, his habits and training mode of thought are Indian. He is simply a savage who can read and write. It has been strongly impressed upon myself, as head of the Department, that Indian children should be withdrawn as much as possible from the parental influence, and the only way to do that would be to put them in central training industrial schools where they will acquire the habits and modes of thought of white men."

quote:

“We have done all we could to put them on themselves; we have done all we could to make them work as agriculturists; we have done all we could, by the supply of cattle, agricultural implements and instruction, to change them from a nomadic to an agricultural life. We have had very considerable success; we have had infinitely more success during our short period, than the United States have had during twenty-five years. We have had a wonderful success; but still we have had the Indians; and then in these half-breeds, enticed by white men, the savage instinct was awakened; the desire of plunder -- aye, and, perhaps, the desire of scalping -- the savage idea of a warlike glory, which pervades the breast of most men, civilised or uncivilised, was aroused in them, and forgetting all the kindness that had been bestowed upon them, forgetting all the gifts that had been given to them, forgetting all that the Government, the white people and the Parliament of Canada had been doing for them, in trying to rescue them from barbarity; forgetting that we had given them reserves, the means to cultivate those reserves, and the means of education how to cultivate them -- forgetting all these things, they rose against us.”

quote:

“The third clause provides that celebrating the “Potlatch” is a misdemeanour. This Indian festival is debauchery of the worst kind, and the departmental officers and all clergymen unite in affirming that it is absolutely necessary to put this practice down.”
I hear echos of this when Pallister talks about Halloween

Some choice quotes from Canada's first PM and CBC's 8th greatest canadian (2004 TV Show, Don Cherry was 7th!)

quote:

“It is readily acknowledged that Indian children lose their natural resistance to illness by habitating so closely in these schools, and that they die at a much higher rate than in their villages. But this alone does not justify a change in the policy of this Department, which is being geared towards the final solution of our Indian Problem."

quote:

“…the system was open to criticism. Insufficient care was exercised in the admission of children to the schools. The well-known predisposition of Indians to tuberculosis resulted in a very large percentage of deaths among the pupils. They were housed in buildings not carefully designed for school purposes, and these buildings became infected and dangerous to the inmates. It is quite within the mark to say that fifty per cent of the children who passed through these schools did not live to benefit from the education which they had received therein."

Duncan Campbell Scott, as Deputy Superintendent General of Indian Affairs from 1913 until 1932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

great to have more evidence of precisely what anyone means when they use the term "final solution", especially if they are referring to eliminating something in the same thought.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

infernal machines posted:

This is awful and unsurprising, and I'm guessing the police aren't involved because they're assuming the children were buried while the school was in operation 50 years ago and they already can't be assed to follow up on disappearances and murders of indigenous people that happened in this century.

I guess the cops are assuming the kids died of natural causes, given whose care and keeping they were in.

Three children per year of operation. I can't express the rage in me right now. There should be SWAT teams kicking down diocese doors and seizing records as we speak. Instead, crickets.

gently caress everything.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Maybe that's the expected death rate per school year at boarding schools - better check for mass graves on the grounds of Upper Canada College and St George's too.

(No way there haven't been lots of hazing deaths, whatever they might get called on the record.)

Not to trivialize the residential school - there's been precious little when it comes to consequences for everyone involved.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Lmao you suck in every possible way dude

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How are you not perma’d for that alone? Holy poo poo.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Tippecanoe posted:

Lmao you suck in every possible way dude

Nah, I just rushed the delivery of "surely the elite schools have this problem of deliberately starving people to death because you don't give a poo poo" too / got tangled up in that hazing aside.

If I didn't already have an unhealthy fan club, pretty meh.

(Look, I'll keep doing it because it's not 100% baseless: Coroner records going back centuries at Oxford contained a massive quantity of "___, a scholar, died of misadventure")

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Sassafras posted:

Nah, I just rushed the delivery of "surely the elite schools have this problem of deliberately starving people to death because you don't give a poo poo too / got tangled up in that hazing aside.

(Look, I'll keep doing it because it's not 100% baseless: Coroner records going back centuries at Oxford contained a massive quantity of "___, a scholar, died of misadventure")

By all means take your time instead of doubling down like this. What planet are you on dude

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://mobile.twitter.com/jameswattie/status/1398388807699943426

De Villa wants schools open

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Hexigrammus posted:

I guess the cops are assuming the kids died of natural causes, given whose care and keeping they were in.

Three children per year of operation. I can't express the rage in me right now. There should be SWAT teams kicking down diocese doors and seizing records as we speak. Instead, crickets.

gently caress everything.

"Natural" causes. Nothing natural about being forcibly removed from your family and terrorized by Christian doctrine. Too bad there isn't some sort of investigation into these horrible acts. Perhaps an inquiry...!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Nova Scotia schools are open again June 2 except in Halifax or Sydney. Also schools are safe.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

HappyHippo posted:

De Villa wants schools open

Or is it "gently caress you I'm not making this decision for you"

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I never thought the "just had a shower after a run" guy would also be a mug pisser. Oh Canada indeed.

Hope he remembered to dump it and didn't leave it on his desk........

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Vasler posted:

I never thought the "just had a shower after a run" guy would also be a mug pisser. Oh Canada indeed.

Hope he remembered to dump it and didn't leave it on his desk........

Now to rejoin the meeting and take a biiiiig sip of coffee!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hey come on don't spoil the finale

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just a reminder that the Manitoba government just wants to sacrifice everyone on the altar of Mammon and Moloch.

"Catching COVID at work not the same as workplace transmission: Manitoba's deputy public health officer"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-workplace-clusters-folo-1.6045285

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Sassafras posted:

Maybe that's the expected death rate per school year at boarding schools - better check for mass graves on the grounds of Upper Canada College and St George's too.

(No way there haven't been lots of hazing deaths, whatever they might get called on the record.)

Not to trivialize the residential school - there's been precious little when it comes to consequences for everyone involved.

suck my dick from the back and choke on it, you loving monster.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

DnD not being moderated anymore or did they rehire that guy again?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought the rally tonight got cancelled but I guess not. It looks like the cops are actually doing some enforcement now though, I'm seeing stuff on Reddit about speakers and possibly organizers being arrested.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Crow Buddy posted:

DnD not being moderated anymore or did they rehire that guy again?

As an experiment, I spent a bit after one of my probations reporting all the replies to me that actually violate the rules and more or less got told if I can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. I can, so whatever, but I think it's rather suspect to let people who post exclusively "gently caress you man" noise go to town - sets a really bad example that seems to be emulated.

You guys are welcome to try reporting some of their posts though!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
IDK if you noticed, but the first time a mod showed up in CanPol in weeks and they killed the thread for no reason, then opened another one with exact same OP from two years ago.

I have no idea what you're expecting, but I'd bet on "capricious" and "arbitrary"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sassafras posted:

As an experiment, I spent a bit after one of my probations reporting all the replies to me that actually violate the rules and more or less got told if I can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. I can, so whatever, but I think it's rather suspect to let people who post exclusively "gently caress you man" noise go to town - sets a really bad example that seems to be emulated.

You guys are welcome to try reporting some of their posts though!

Get hosed James Baud, you’ve always been a lovely white noise poster and you’ve only become worse since the beginning of the pandemic

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Randalor posted:

Just a reminder that the Manitoba government just wants to sacrifice everyone on the altar of Mammon and Moloch.

"Catching COVID at work not the same as workplace transmission: Manitoba's deputy public health officer"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-workplace-clusters-folo-1.6045285

I think I dropped a few IQ points just reading that. "What do you call a person who graduates last in their medical class..."

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
A new thread seems like a pretty arbitrary decision to make at this time, but ok.

Just don't even put a year in the thread title. Let it run wild and free.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah it's p silly - haven't previous threads followed the federal election cycle, mostly?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Randalor posted:

What a disgustingly disingenuous position to take, it’s honestly infuriating

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yes why do we spend so much time on the bad opinions of one thread poster when the bad opinions of every premier/elected government are way worse and actually impact our lives

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah it's p silly - haven't previous threads followed the federal election cycle, mostly?

Yes, because that's a cycle that makes sense as far as discussions of Canadian politics goes. This break in the thread just makes it awkward to go back and quote things, which is something we're doing fairly often as COVID and the government's response remains the primary topic of conversation.

Sitll, I don't want to get too down on GreyjoyBastard. They're trying, and I know this is a tough time for the mods.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 29, 2021

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Our vaccine uptake looks really good compared to most of the world? I realize that curve will start to flatten as we shift to second doses and also start hitting hesitancy but that Angus Reid poll that was posted in the last thread suggests we still have a ways to go before we do. Is it overly optimistic to think we might soon become the world leader?

https://twitter.com/angusreidorg/status/1394333161941786624

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

If this holds out, we are in a pretty good place - 80-90% uptake is probably the best you can hope for without some kind of method to force vaccination. And for the children side, we can generally force vaccination as a condition of in-person schooling (for the age ranges the vaccine is/will be approved for).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Health Canada extends shelf life of AstraZeneca doses set to expire Monday by a month

Shots set to expire? Just take a sharpie and add a month onto the best before date!

I kid, I kid. I do hope they've done studies to ensure that the doses remain effective under the new timetable.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gully Foyle posted:

If this holds out, we are in a pretty good place - 80-90% uptake is probably the best you can hope for without some kind of method to force vaccination. And for the children side, we can generally force vaccination as a condition of in-person schooling (for the age ranges the vaccine is/will be approved for).

I think coercion should be avoided at all costs.

My main reasoning for this is that this isn't just a single jab, or even two that we're talking about. Covid is very likely going to continue to circulate and be re-introduced from outside for the foreseeable future. This will likely require booster shots, and maybe re-worked vaccines as variants develop resistance. Coercion could undermine trust that would be needed for a prolonged campaign against the virus.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Im serious when I ask this.

Do we know why Canadian uptake is so high compared to the rest of the world (well atleast the US)?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

apatheticman posted:

Do we know why Canadian uptake is so high compared to the rest of the world (well atleast the US)?

One thing I think we have going for us is the first-dose strategy. In the US cases are dropping a lot right now, things are opening up, the sense of urgency is passing. They gave out a lot of shots over the past few months, but many went to second doses. Here in Canada, the vaccine availability ramped up during the third wave. The sense of urgency was high, and we locked in a lot of first doses. Cases are dropping and the urgency will probably start fading, but most people will probably get their second shot when their appointment comes up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

apatheticman posted:

I imagine part of it has to do with our lack of home production for vaccines and the media firestorm around how many doses we pre-purchased and when we've received them. A lot of factors on top of how frantic our premiers are to lift lockdowns has created a pretty high demand for vaccines.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

apatheticman posted:

My sense is no, though there are a lot of reasonable-sounding guesses. Part of it is, as mentioned, Canada and the UK decided to hold second doses back, so you're comparing different strategies in the middle of their being implemented. And lots of places don't have anywhere near the supply we do.

Maybe it's something intrinsic to Canadians (lol), maybe it's a massive success by public health departments, or maybe you looked at the chart at a peculiar time. We'll see where it shakes out globally in a few months/years.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
vs the us specifically i think no small part of it is public health care. people are just (sensibly) way less scared of medical anything here in part because bills aren’t going to come back to bite them

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
I think the US also has the issue that a sizable number of Republicans are anti-vaccination specifically because Democrats are pro-vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol there's a small anti mask protest group on a corner in the Byward Market and the guy on the bullhorn is trying to make baaa sheep noises but he sounds more like Butthead.