Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The US is right there but sure tell me more about south asia

Also, Home Hardware is selling eclipse glasses that you can see normal daylight through, and I know this because I have some that I bought there:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video/c2898604-fake-solar-eclipse-glasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Ain't gonna see nothing on the west coast boo

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You had your chance in 2017.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

McGavin posted:

Saw at least a partial eclipse in Vancouver when we lived there and now we've moved to the east coast and get to see one again. Masters of planning, we are

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I drove from Vancouver to Oregon in 2017 and then moved to Ontario, so I'm in the same boat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A partial eclipse ain't poo poo just fyi, for those who haven't seen a total. It's absolutely worth driving too if you have the ability.

Any other Canada goons down in Mazatlan for this baby?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

As someone accidentally living in Missouri for totality in 2017, can confirm it's a dope as hell thing to experience. Will still go peep the partial though, just to be partially awed by the scale of our universe.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Fortunately the weather for Montréal has been predicting sunny skies so I could watch it from my front balcony, though I think I'm going to cycle south to get some extra time in totality, really want to soak it in.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

McGavin posted:

Yeah that partial was a little underwhelming tbqh

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

PittTheElder posted:

A partial eclipse ain't poo poo just fyi, for those who haven't seen a total. It's absolutely worth driving too if you have the ability.

Any other Canada goons down in Mazatlan for this baby?

My coworker in Vancouver is down there for it. Another one is flying to Texas.

We get to try our first road trip in our electric car to see it up in Miramichi. Should be an adventure. Also of those 3 locations it seems Miramichi is going to have the clearest weather lol

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Looks like Alberta had grid alerts, and Danielle Smith blamed it on the wind and sun. But it was actually that a lot of plants were offline or had matentinece at the same time. Oh and they apparently prefer selling to the US over powering themselves. But yeah, it was those pesky renewables.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-s-second-grid-alert-in-2-days-leads-to-rolling-blackouts-1.6835023

This poo poo and the obvious misinformation around the carbon tax just drive me wild. I hate how gullible people are.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 6, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It was a challenge to put a cost on water/air pollution, and those had very immediate, visible consequences to people's quality of life. It's really hard to get capitalism to put price on externalities in general because I don't think most corporations would be viable if they were responsible for all the waste they produced.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So, statement from the Prime Minister that we're going to be throwing an absurd amount of funds into the AI money pit...

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2024/04/07/securing-canadas-ai

quote:

Investing $2 billion to build and provide access to computing capabilities and technological infrastructure for Canada’s world-leading AI researchers, start-ups, and scale-ups. As part of this investment, we will soon be consulting with AI stakeholders to inform the launch of a new AI Compute Access Fund to provide near-term support to researchers and industry. We will also develop a new Canadian AI Sovereign Compute Strategy to catalyze the development of Canadian-owned and located AI infrastructure. Ensuring access to cutting-edge computing infrastructure will attract more global AI investment to Canada, develop and recruit the best talent, and help Canadian businesses compete and succeed on the world stage.

quote:

Supporting workers who may be impacted by AI, such as creative industries, with $50 million for the Sectoral Workforce Solutions Program, which will provide new skills training for workers in potentially disrupted sectors and communities.

Gee, thanks for offering to "retrain" me out of a career path that actually contributes to humanity so I can become a handler for an idiot plagiarism machine...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
We can ride this hype train into the ground. It's too bad we're so late to the bubble that we'll never have enough time to get another Nortel or RIM off the ground before it pops.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

KingKalamari posted:

So, statement from the Prime Minister that we're going to be throwing an absurd amount of funds into the AI money pit...

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2024/04/07/securing-canadas-ai

Gee, thanks for offering to "retrain" me out of a career path that actually contributes to humanity so I can become a handler for an idiot plagiarism machine...

God this poo poo sucks so much. It's a giant loving money pit to unemploy actors and writers and it loving sucks. If OpenAI with basically unlimited capital can't produce a bot that will write a competent legal brief, what is 2b going to do other than get funneled directly into the pockets of American corporations? Such a hopeless attempt to chase the new tech bubble. The loss of Nortel will forever be a scar on the Canadian liberal psyche and maybe this time it will finally work where blackberry, shopify, and a thousand other tech companies failed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

KingKalamari posted:

Well you certainly know nothing about AI so there's a subject I guess.

Ed: you won't be alone in the class apparently

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 8, 2024

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Well you certainly know nothing about AI so there's a subject I guess.

Ed: you won't be alone in the class apparently

If you think generative AI can effectively reproduce the work of creative professionals without people around to fix its output, then I think you're by far the more poorly informed on the subject.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Isn't AI proving to be extremely valuable in assisting research and development in fields like medicine and IT?

I didn't take the announcement to mean the Feds are investing billions in making a bunch of Chat GPTs or AI art apps to wipe out the creative sectors.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

AI is a very wide topic and it's hard not to feel like there's almost certainly a lot of trend chasing on generative AI in the style chat GPT style garbage.

There's definitely some value in not ignoring it entirely, but I don't blame anyone for being very skeptical about this because all the stupid chatbot and art generative AI crap is what is getting all the hype and attention.

Willatron posted:

Isn't AI proving to be extremely valuable in assisting research and development in fields like medicine and IT?

I didn't take the announcement to mean the Feds are investing billions in making a bunch of Chat GPTs or AI art apps to wipe out the creative sectors.

I feel like the IT sector is unfortunately still mostly the "try to use generative AI to write code" kind of AI, (then have a human fix it,) but maybe that's my own bias.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We can't find the money to help curb homelessness, but we can find 2 billion to just shovel into a technology that everyone hates. Sure. Why not. Look at how much we wasted on the F-35, what's another 2 billion wasted on useless technology?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Willatron posted:

This is a manifestation of the problem that Marketing™ has been using the term AI to describe any new computing capability of the last ten or so years. The "AI" that is helping doctors diagnose cancer has very little in common with the "AI" that has animators fearing for their jobs, and neither has anything in common with the "AI" of Asimov or Battlestar Galactica or whatever.

It really does help if you just mentally find-and-replace "AI" with "Computer".

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like the IT sector is unfortunately still mostly the "try to use generative AI to write code" kind of AI, (then have a human fix it,) but maybe that's my own bias.

One of the real use cases for it is to analyze legacy COBOL code and convert it to modern programming languages. It’s a legit hugely valuable use case.

We’re in a bubble, but dot com was a bubble too. There is some actual value to these tools unlike recent hype cycles around crypto or RPA.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Willatron posted:

There are very narrow use cases in science/research where LLMs are having a positive impact. There are much broader use cases that are constantly being reported on in the popular press, and where all the big investment money is going, do not see those kinds of positive impacts.

If our funding is going to developing and training hyper-specialized models, sure, this is fine. If we're chasing the popular business press' coverage of the "AI" revolution, less so.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Willatron posted:

The fact that they specifically call out the creative sector in the retraining investment blurb tells me that the government doesn't really give a poo poo about protecting the interests of creative professionals specifically. I'm not worried about being made obsolete by AI, I am worried about employers using the existence of generative AI as an excuse to make fewer people do the more of more people for lower pay.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Oxyclean posted:

AI is a very wide topic and it's hard not to feel like there's almost certainly a lot of trend chasing on generative AI in the style chat GPT style garbage.

Generative AI is a small part of AI. I'm looking at writing my first machine learning model to detect outliers and anomalies in UNIX syslog data, for example, having just started looking at possible uses in my job. It will force me to learn a lot of ways of analyzing data to represent it in ways the computer can say "these are normal" even when the actual logs are always slightly different, and then pop alarms when it sees the system misbehaving. That's tiny but it should hopefully allow us to diagnose system failures earlier, or attempts to hack systems, or misconfigured ones.

Then you look at the models that try to detect cancer in patient images. Or self-driving cars or taxis. Or do your Google searches. The list of ways AI and ML are changing the way we do things is immense. Of course there's winners and losers - using AI to generate boilerplate contracts will cost jobs for lawyers.

But anyone simply saying AI is *just* ChatGPT or some image generator is to parade your ignorance of the subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Thank you for the wiki link. Your list of examples is telling, given how well any of those work in practice, to date.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

The fact that they specifically call out the creative sector in the retraining investment blurb tells me that the government doesn't really give a poo poo about protecting the interests of creative professionals specifically. I'm not worried about being made obsolete by AI, I am worried about employers using the existence of generative AI as an excuse to make fewer people do the more of more people for lower pay.

This does seem to be a pretty likely outcome yeah, and I definitely think there's better things to spend the money on than another boost to tech company shareholder's stock portfolios. I do wonder if the NDP is going to use this to further push Gazan's GLBI legislation some more though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

One of the real use cases for it is to analyze legacy COBOL code and convert it to modern programming languages.

pre:
000100 IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
000200 PROGRAM-ID.  HEYEFFYOU.
000300 AUTHOR.      RUST MARTIALIS.
000400 ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
000500 DATA DIVISION.
000600 PROCEDURE DIVISION.
000700 MAINLINE.
000800     DISPLAY 'HEY EFF YOU MISTER "MODERN"!'.
000900     STOP RUN.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Thank you for the wiki link. Your list of examples is telling, given how well any of those work in practice, to date.

Eh! à quoi bon l’enfant qui vient de naître?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Willatron posted:

This does seem to be a pretty likely outcome yeah, and I definitely think there's better things to spend the money on than another boost to tech company shareholder's stock portfolios. I do wonder if the NDP is going to use this to further push Gazan's GLBI legislation some more though.

While I would definitely like to see some form of UBI pushed forward, I'm consistently skeptical of the idea that unregulated AI development is going to lead to that. At the end of the day funneling more capital and power into big tech is giving more assets to people who really don't want UBI to exist - It just seems like a "Maybe if we keep letting the boot step on us it'll eventually get tired and go away?" situation.

Rust Martialis posted:

Always a good sign when a technology boasts about all its "potential" applications while failing to demonstrate any specific use-cases. I feel like there's some kind of name or this "cycle" of "hype" Silicon Valley developments go through...

Broad adoption of ML is also rapidly hitting a wall logistically as its need for power consumption and computing power are rapidly outstripping what we're able to provide with current technology. Without major innovations in other industries we're not going to be seeing the pie-in-the-sky, speculative uses AI start-ups are promising any time soon.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 8, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

There is a very silly assumption that the models will get better for general use cases. Silly, because we're already seeing regressions in publicly available things like GPT 3 -> 3.5 -> 4, which are likely to be magnified as the models require more data to train, and the increasing amount of already GPT derived text that will end up in their training sets.

People selling these products, and spending tens of billions on building out underlying infrastructure certainly hope they will improve, and there is no reason at all to believe that this is fait accompli.

In the specifics, ML models have proven very adept at diagnosing things as cancerous when they are photographed next to a ruler, self driving cars have been hyped for most of the last decade and the absolute state of the art still fails to make unprotected left hand turns in perfect conditions with mm precision maps of the environment. Generative AI is certainly responsible for Google being an unusable wasteland for most common searches, but having a generative model hallucinate an answer for which there is an actual result is questionably useful.

KingKalamari posted:

Always a good sign when a technology boasts about all its "potential" applications while failing to demonstrate any specific use-cases.

Yes, this is the thing. Limitless upside potential, invest now, we just need to draw the rest of the loving owl.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 8, 2024

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t think anyone in the space thinks general models are going to be the path. Everyone is moving towards hyper specific models that leverage the general models for general functions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I don't know much of anything about the theory of LLMs, but it's frankly bizarre that they don't seem to have included any sort of confidence metric. They'll happily hallucinate an answer to an unanswerable question, present it with complete confidence, and if told their wrong, happily hallucinate a different answer with complete confidence.

The end effect is something you can't actually trust since you have to check all the output yourself anyway.

Then when people talk about using LLMs to replace programmers (and that this creates large amounts of value), because the actual writing of the code takes almost no time at all. The value is in all the design work to organize the thing you're building, and all the test work to be able to demonstrate that it does the thing you claim it does. All the LLMs are doing is replacing the looking up of random stuff on stack exchange part, and doing a crappy job of it, since they'll happily do all the unsafe stuff you find on stack exchange!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Generative AI is a small part of AI. I'm looking at writing my first machine learning model to detect outliers and anomalies in UNIX syslog data, for example, having just started looking at possible uses in my job. It will force me to learn a lot of ways of analyzing data to represent it in ways the computer can say "these are normal" even when the actual logs are always slightly different, and then pop alarms when it sees the system misbehaving. That's tiny but it should hopefully allow us to diagnose system failures earlier, or attempts to hack systems, or misconfigured ones.

Then you look at the models that try to detect cancer in patient images. Or self-driving cars or taxis. Or do your Google searches. The list of ways AI and ML are changing the way we do things is immense. Of course there's winners and losers - using AI to generate boilerplate contracts will cost jobs for lawyers.

But anyone simply saying AI is *just* ChatGPT or some image generator is to parade your ignorance of the subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

No-one is saying AI is -just- ChatGPT and other media based generative AI. Those things are just the absolute face of a recent trend that has a massive amount of hype and buzz that's attracting investment because it gives the notion it might be a means to replace/reduce workforce. It's yet another hype bubble like crypto and NFTs that promises to solve a ton of problems. When people hear "AI" they are rightfully cynical about what the implications are because investors are by in large, loving morons.

Also, self-driving cars are yet another kind of over-hyped product that distracts from more important and better ways we could be solving infrastructure and transit issues. It's funny you mention google too, because the common consensus is google has gotten dramatically worse, both just on it's own (or because of algorithm/seo abuse) and because there's so much AI generated garbage clogging up searches.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I don't know much of anything about the theory of LLMs, but it's frankly bizarre that they don't seem to have included any sort of confidence metric. They'll happily hallucinate an answer to an unanswerable question, present it with complete confidence, and if told they’re wrong, happily hallucinate a different answer with complete confidence.

They have a “temperature” setting for controlling how much hallucination is permitted (making low-probability tokens more or less likely). The confidence metrics you can get from an LLM are basically per-token and don’t (indeed, can’t) reflect how close the generated sequence is in semantic meaning to assertions from the input set. LLMs operate on text patterns, not factual associations, and the chief failure in their application is confusing “plausible sequences of words” with “reasoning a human would use to produce those sequences”. There are a lot of tasks that can be mapped more or less successfully to analogical transformation of text, and LLMs really do best when sticking to those.

My daughter was precocious in terms of speech, and I routinely had to remind myself that adult-like diction and vocabulary didn’t indicate adult-like reasoning or knowledge. It’s the same thing here, except that my daughter grew up faster than the AI models will IMO.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oxyclean posted:

When people hear "AI" they are rightfully cynical about what the implications are because investors are by and large, loving morons.

as a former professional AI investor, I agree with this

(one of my investments was a seed stage in a Canadian AI hardware company that’s now “worth” a billion, so at least that part went well)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

No-one is saying AI is -just- ChatGPT and other media based generative AI. Those things are just the absolute face of a recent trend that has a massive amount of hype and buzz that's attracting investment because it gives the notion it might be a means to replace/reduce workforce. It's yet another hype bubble like crypto and NFTs that promises to solve a ton of problems. When people hear "AI" they are rightfully cynical about what the implications are because investors are by in large, loving morons.

Remember when IBM's Watson was going to replace doctors?

I wonder how that's going?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
My prediction: 99.9% of "AI" startups fail because they're just riding the hype train to get the bag. It ends up being a genuinely useful tool for a certain subset of jobs that can use it to rough out and autocomplete content that they produce after we go back to calling it Machine Learning. YOSPOS bithc.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ZShakespeare posted:

My prediction: 99.9% of "AI" startups fail because they're just riding the hype train to get the bag. It ends up being a genuinely useful tool for a certain subset of jobs that can use it to rough out and autocomplete content that they produce after we go back to calling it Machine Learning. YOSPOS bithc.
Yeah, or established companies using "AI" to make it seem like they're doing all sorts of cutting edge stuff. It's usually not necessary but it what their investors want to see. I remember IBM and Walmart putting out press releases saying they were investigation potential uses of the blockchain in their business. Meaningless, but it had the right buzzwords to keep investors happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

It has been suggested that my job could be replaced by AI. Graphic Designer for the record, which I find a bit laughable, it's possible sure, but it'll look awful and be a mismatch of what a client needs and wants. I cringe looking at what clients send to me that was created on Canva.

There is use for AI in my job, that I can do, sure. Some stuff that I do manually can probably be generated.

But there is a lot of pruning text, placement, spatial awareness and a variety of other things that I don't see being handled well enough.

The worst will be fewer designers cranking out more production for less pay. Which is par for the trajectory we've been on for a century. Everybody is burned the gently caress out, but the workers of the world can take another hit for the billionaires camen island bank accounts.

4 day work week, UBI, 6 hour work days. Please.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 8, 2024