Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The company I work at sells software that uses statistical analysis to predict optimal future outcomes.

The moment AI became a buzzword, all that statistical analysis suddenly became "AI"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol good point, can't wait to start calling static analysis AI

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Last company I was at for more than 2 weeks before layoffs did statistical analysis using "AI" where "AI" is "a bunch of chronically overworked data scientists".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just one guy named Al. It's short for Alan, not Artificial Intelligence.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
I’ve enjoyed using ChatGPT to automate certain aspects of my job, mostly summarizing PDFs and converting bullet point notes to paragraphs. It’s also pretty handy for answering random questions that come out of statistical analyses. I do think that the dumber your job is, the more AI can do for it. The downside is that this will ultimately just create more dumb bullshit for workers, to deal with.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

ChatGPT is absolutely cracked for generating cover letters by feeding it my resume and the job posting in the same context. Being able to use it to draft business communications so that I can focus on my actual work is going to be really nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can write some bullet points and use ChatGPT to turn it into paragraphs of prose. My recipients will then have ChatGPT produce a summary of the text as bullet points.

I’ve started just sending the raw bullet points and saving a few kWh per email.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I've been saying for years that there is entirely too much communication.

Sincerely, thank you for doing your part.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I had to submit a sales pitch via video upload for my work, and the AI said I was boring, animated, uncertain and bossy, but scored me in the 90% range.

Also, the company said for this pitch we should make the customer feel anxious if they didn't go with us, which I loving despise. I work in a very small rural town and that bullshit wouldn't go over well at all.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Everyone knows that if you take a bunch of dubious data and feed it through the algorithm the results are infallible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pyrtanis posted:

I had to submit a sales pitch via video upload for my work, and the AI said I was boring, animated, uncertain and bossy, but scored me in the 90% range.

Also, the company said for this pitch we should make the customer feel anxious if they didn't go with us, which I loving despise. I work in a very small rural town and that bullshit wouldn't go over well at all.

I had to upload a sales pitch video about AI, but it was reviewed by my boss not an AI.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
thats not work

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Via: https://www.threads.net/@proposmontreal/post/C5hN3FdM7v4

Pour les anglos:
"Enough is enough for the suburbs"
PLANTE STEALS THE SUN!
"It borders on ridiculous" Mario Dumont, page 6
"Is the sun too WOKE?" Richard Martineau, page 2
The best pick-up in your driveway
- Run over 1 out of every 2 cyclists
- Guarantee taking up 2 parking spaces
- Compensate for your fragile masculinity

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Captain, I have launched a class 1 probe into the sun to determine the woke levels.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Driveway" seems insufficiently French, summon the Language Police immediatement!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That bit about the pickup isn't even satire, though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I hate that we are so focused on all this culture war bullshit like the “woke sun” when real issues like our domestic industrial glycine production being unable to compete with Donghua Jinlong.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ZShakespeare posted:

I hate that we are so focused on all this culture war bullshit like the “woke sun” when real issues like our domestic industrial glycine production being unable to compete with Donghua Jinlong.

We'll just sue them into making them sell to a Canadian subsidiary, its the north American way of innovation.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I've had people send me Chat GPT queries in lieu of filling out legally required paperwork and providing back up documentation.

For example, imagine a lawyer saying in court "I asked Chat GPT if my client is guilty and it said no" instead of providing an actual legal defense.

When they're told that Chat GPT output won't be accepted as proof by the various regulatory bodies, they usually get upset and say something like "But it's AI, it can't be wrong. It knows everything".

:(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People do that with spreadsheets and random metrics graphs and such that might be entirely disconnected from reality, too, to say nothing of TikTok stars and religious figures.

We’re a credulous species, biologically biased to believe that what we’re hearing or seeing is true.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

Last company I was at for more than 2 weeks before layoffs did statistical analysis using "AI" where "AI" is "a bunch of chronically overworked data scientists".

Lol reminds me of that story that came out recently about Amazon's grocery store that used "AI" to track what you put in your cart so you could just walk out and they'd bill you. Turns out they had 1000 people in India manually checking 2/3rds of the transactions. Presumably all named Al of course.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've had people send me Chat GPT queries in lieu of filling out legally required paperwork and providing back up documentation.

For example, imagine a lawyer saying in court "I asked Chat GPT if my client is guilty and it said no" instead of providing an actual legal defense.

When they're told that Chat GPT output won't be accepted as proof by the various regulatory bodies, they usually get upset and say something like "But it's AI, it can't be wrong. It knows everything".

This is the modern day version of quoting Wikipedia as your source for an essay.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Joink posted:

This is the modern day version of quoting Wikipedia as your source for an essay.

Way worse.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Squibbles posted:

Lol reminds me of that story that came out recently about Amazon's grocery store that used "AI" to track what you put in your cart so you could just walk out and they'd bill you. Turns out they had 1000 people in India manually checking 2/3rds of the transactions. Presumably all named Al of course.

I thought that was obvious when they billed me hours after the fact and not immediately.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

They basically do this for parole and sentencing in huge parts of the US though, and the algorithm is a trade secret lol. It's actually a big contributing factor to racial differences in sentencing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve been working in computer vision for the last little bit making an AI safety detector as part of my work and more money to help me do that would be awesome

AI as job displacement tool = bad, AI as tool to make certain things easier = good.

Now if it would just stop mistaking my face for an apple

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

It seems like Jagmeet is planning on using the carbon tax as a wedge issue against the Liberals.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-singh-carbon-tax-hedge-support-1.7171986

quote:

"It can't be done by letting working families bear the cost of climate change while big polluters make bigger and bigger profits," said Singh. "We all lose if we make Canadians choose between an affordable life and fighting the climate crisis."

After the speech, Singh told reporters he doesn't want the burden of fighting climate change to fall on working people — but he wouldn't say whether that means he wants to get rid of the consumer carbon tax.

In a statement issued to CBC News, Singh said the NDP has not changed its position on the consumer carbon price.

"What we have done is commit to building a climate plan to make big polluters pay, bring down costs for Canadians, meet our emissions targets and ⁠unify people in taking on the climate crisis. Despite being in power for nine years, the Liberal government has failed to do this," wrote Singh.

Seems like nothing substantive if they’re not going to change the consumer tax. I think the NDP are releasing their climate plan, so more detail may be forthcoming.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think it can really be overstated what a massive, steaming pile of poo poo Jagmeet Singh and the federal NDP are at the moment. I actually find him more repulsive than Polliver, on the basis that at least that little prick has the decency to be reasonably honest about what a venal, stupid little dweeb he is. Singh is very much the same, but pretends to be something else.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

a primate posted:

It seems like Jagmeet is planning on using the carbon tax as a wedge issue against the Liberals.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-singh-carbon-tax-hedge-support-1.7171986

Seems like nothing substantive if they’re not going to change the consumer tax. I think the NDP are releasing their climate plan, so more detail may be forthcoming.

One would hope because it would at least be interesting, and probably a good strategy, but nope, as expected, the timid NDP folded at the moment's notice of any controversy.

quote:

After Jagmeet Singh raises doubts, NDP says it still supports a consumer carbon levy
Under fire, the federal New Democrats said Friday they continue to support a consumer carbon levy, a day after Leader Jagmeet Singh suggested his party is looking at alternatives.

OTTAWA — Under fire, the federal New Democrats said Friday they continue to support a consumer carbon levy, a day after Leader Jagmeet Singh suggested his party is looking at alternatives.

“New Democrats have not changed our position on the consumer carbon price. What we have done is commit to building a climate plan to make big polluters pay, bring down costs for Canadians, meet our emissions targets and ⁠unify people in taking on the climate crisis,” Singh said in a statement.

After repeatedly refusing to clarify Friday whether the party saying it has “not changed” its position meant the New Democrats continue to support a consumer price on carbon, a senior NDP staff member told the Star, “We have supported it and that hasn’t changed.”

The clarification came two days after New Democrats supported a Tory motion in the House of Commons calling on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to host a televised national summit with Canada’s premiers to hear alternatives to his government’s carbon pricing policy.

Following Wednesday’s vote, the NDP had refused to say whether it believed a consumer carbon levy remained a necessary part of any climate action plan. Singh would only say his party would release its own plan, which would not place a burden on workers.

The NDP leader doubled down in a speech Thursday, distancing himself from the Liberal program under which, he said, “working families bear the cost of climate change while big polluters make bigger and bigger profits.” He called for more attention on policies that he said are “the biggest drivers of lowering emissions,” such as the industrial price on pollution.

“It can’t just be that our only approach to fighting the climate crisis is using free-market solutions,” Singh said. “That is not sufficient to meet the seriousness of what we’re up against.”

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

PT6A posted:

I don't think it can really be overstated what a massive, steaming pile of poo poo Jagmeet Singh and the federal NDP are at the moment. I actually find him more repulsive than Polliver, on the basis that at least that little prick has the decency to be reasonably honest about what a venal, stupid little dweeb he is. Singh is very much the same, but pretends to be something else.

I’ve decided not to vote for them in the future. I would support the NDP provincially (Manitoba) but I’m abroad so can’t vote. I’ll be voting communist in the future because there is zero chance in a Liberal getting my vote, even strategic, after moving from applauding Nazis to supporting them politically in the last few months.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

One would hope because it would at least be interesting, and probably a good strategy, but nope, as expected, the timid NDP folded at the moment's notice of any controversy.

Wow, what a trash bag party. They really love losing.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1779286852953935964

I'm certain that he issued a similar condemnation when Israel struck the Iranian consulate that directly precipitated this attack.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Trudeau is honestly such a bitch

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm certain that he issued a similar condemnation when Israel struck the Iranian consulate that directly precipitated this attack.

They also damaged the Canadian embassy in the same attack.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

We are the most cucked nation

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

"Peace and stability in the region" while an ongoing genocide is happening?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Randalor posted:

"Peace and stability in the region" while an ongoing genocide is happening?

Carthage is pretty peaceful nowadays

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

COPE 27 posted:

Trudeau is honestly such a bitch

Not the only one:

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1779323316416794857

"Serious escalation" :jerkbag:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

10,000 missiles would be an escalation

300 is a warning shot

loving morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WHO KILLED THE INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE REGION, JAGMEET?