Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Giant bitch. The biggest bitch anyone has seen. Many people are saying it!

It’s amazing that the only credible alternative to Trudeau and Polliver is a man who manages to combine the most disagreeable qualities of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

PT6A posted:

I don't think it can really be overstated what a massive, steaming pile of poo poo Jagmeet Singh and the federal NDP are at the moment. I actually find him more repulsive than Polliver, on the basis that at least that little prick has the decency to be reasonably honest about what a venal, stupid little dweeb he is. Singh is very much the same, but pretends to be something else.

Agreed 100% easily the worst NDP leader at any level I've ever seen

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Arabian Jesus posted:

Let's not be too hasty while Andrea Horwath exists.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It feels like we're living in some loving alternate reality here. WHAT ESCALATION JAGMEET?
Israel bombed them, they acted with massive restraint.

What the gently caress is going on.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

It feels like we're living in some loving alternate reality here. WHAT ESCALATION JAGMEET?
Israel bombed them, they acted with massive restraint.

What the gently caress is going on.

He’s saying nothing out of ordinary from the entire political class all over the western world. Every elected official is lying to us and it’s obvious.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think what’s completely incomprehensible about Jagmeet is this: if he’s acting based on ideology, I can’t make sense of what that ideology might be; if he’s acting strategically, I can make out even less of what that strategy might be.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

McGavin posted:

We made somebody who spent years under Andrea Horwath party leader and you won't believe what happened next

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Arabian Jesus posted:

Let me introduce you to Tom Mulcair.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Let me introduce you to Tom Mulcair.

I'd put Mulcair ahead of Landlord Singh personally but I'll concede that's based entirely on vibes

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I do wonder why any party that holds seats in parliament or queen's park seems so weak and ineffectual (unless they're conservative in which case they do exactly what their base wants). Like if someone campaigned on a more aggressive platform, would it translate to votes or are milquetoast centrist parties simply a reflection of the Canadian electorate and WE are the extremists?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kraftwerk posted:

Like if someone campaigned on a more aggressive platform, would it translate to votes or are milquetoast centrist parties simply a reflection of the Canadian electorate and WE are the extremists?

Neoliberalism is the norm among the majority of Canadians, yes. Most people espouse leftist beliefs and ideals until the exact moment that they would have to pay for something or do something slightly less comfortable.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

McGavin posted:

Horwath isn't even the worst ONDP leader of the 21st century. Not that her reputation deserves any increase but the leader her staff arranged to take her place is already hemorrhaging seats and is going to leave the caucus a smoking crater after 2026.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

if he’s acting based on ideology, I can’t make sense of what that ideology might be; if he’s acting strategically, I can make out even less of what that strategy might be.

This kind of sums up the NDP for a long while now sadly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kraftwerk posted:

I do wonder why any party that holds seats in parliament or queen's park seems so weak and ineffectual (unless they're conservative in which case they do exactly what their base wants). Like if someone campaigned on a more aggressive platform, would it translate to votes or are milquetoast centrist parties simply a reflection of the Canadian electorate and WE are the extremists?

Buddy, this thread will probably get you on a watchlist. There's a reason leftist parties barely even exist and the NDP couldn't form a federal government to save their lives and it's not because they're too mainstream. OTOH, being Liberals but Orange is not actually a selling point for anyone, because they can just vote for the real deal instead of the store brand knock-off.

DynamicSloth posted:

Horwath isn't even the worst ONDP leader of the 21st century. Not that her reputation deserves any increase but the leader her staff arranged to take her place is already hemorrhaging seats and is going to leave the caucus a smoking crater after 2026.

I can't wait to see if the vote congeals behind Bonnie Crombie's Liberals or if we can enjoy 1000 years of PCPO reign because neither of the other parties can get their poo poo together in less than a generation.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 15, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Can we make Charlie Angus the leader of the NDP yet?

e: flipping back through NDP leadership contests is wild, Svend Robinson apparently was part of a group of NDP MPs who heckled Ronnie Reagan when he was giving some pro-Contra speech in the House of Commons? That rules.

also fuckin' :lol: I am now a Svend Robinson stan 20 years too late:

quote:

In 2003, Liberal Senator Jerry Grafstein suggested that September 11 be designated as "America Day" to commemorate the American victims of September 11, 2001. Robinson proposed that the day also be designated as "Chile Day", to mark the overthrow of Chilean president Salvador Allende's democratically elected government on September 11, 1973. Neither proposal was accepted.

e2: on the other hand what a dumb way to go out, on a third hand the RCMP swooping in to villain it up as reliably as ever

quote:

In April 2004, shortly before the 2004 election, Robinson admitted to the theft of an expensive ring from a public auction site. He turned himself in to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and returned the ring shortly after police visited his home and office, wishing to speak with him. While the auction company publicly stated that they did not wish to pursue charges, Robinson was charged and pleaded guilty.

The Crown and defence agreed that he was undergoing major personal stress and mental health issues at the time; Robinson was given a discharge, meaning that he would have no criminal record, but he volunteered for some time at the Burnaby Wildlife Centre as part of a public service commitment.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 15, 2024

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I got a federal ndp membership just to vote for Charlie Angus for leadership. I think he came second? He would have been a way more passionate and straightforward leader. I've appreciated how bluntly he calls poo poo out over the years, and I rarely disagree with his opinions. Unfortunately, he's stepping down as MP, not sure if he's just retiring or pursuing something else.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

We all wish Niki Ashton won

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I think also one of the big problems is also people’s general theory of change revolves around having “good people in the room”, which is a very neoliberal framework and this includes the NDP. If you have bold policy but do not have the movement to support it, it’s very easy for even well-intentioned advocates to cave when the answer is no from power. Getting average people involved whether it’s community groups, labour etc. is just as much the key as having the good policy makers elected.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3OwnUY2rDGJgVnxyBvedTD?si=EWjW3qERSZSiCaqukT3LNg

This podcast episode is really interesting and helps understand what is the difference between advocacy and mobilizing vs. organizing.

In my union work experience this phenomenon is endemic and most union members just expect that the people in office will do everything for them. This falls strongly on generational lines where Gen x workers are solidly neolib in approach and don’t want to do anything to make the union work, it’s a “I pay my dues and you do it all” mentality, which ultimately is ineffective. Millennial and now zoomer workers think differently and are more likely to see their involvement as critical in success, though I suspect that the housing crisis has put these workers in more dire straights and they have less to lose.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Can we make Charlie Angus the leader of the NDP yet?

Well he recently announced he won't be seeking re-election so probably not.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Leah Gazan seems cool, I'd nominate her for NDP leadership if I ever hated myself enough to actually be a member of a political party.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Well he recently announced he won't be seeking re-election so probably not.

https://x.com/StephanieKusie/status/1777506290820128790

Maybe he'll change his mind just to spite this woman

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

drat pretty cold of Charlie to post that own.

Wait she posted it? LMAO

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

quote:

On Monday morning, Conservative MP Garnett Genuis posted on social media that the party would move a motion to immediately list the IRGC as a terrorist organization.

Hours later, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said the party believes "the IRGC is a terrorist organization and should be thus named."

NDP going to win the next election outflanking the Liberals from the right on foreign policy.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

apatheticman posted:

https://x.com/StephanieKusie/status/1777506290820128790

Maybe he'll change his mind just to spite this woman

Hahaha "we're going to miss you... NOT" what an epic own! Who is she and what does she do again?

She served as a senior policy advisor to Peter Kent on Latin America. Her responsibilities included negotiating free trade deals, work related to the Keystone Pipeline project, and lobbying the United Nations to place Canada on the Security Council.

Yeah good luck with all of that... NOT.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

In retrospect Guy Caron was probably the right move of the four in that contest considering that Singh's selling point of being able to make in roads in fast growing suburban Canada absolutely and spectacularly failed to materialize and being from QC Caron presumably had a better of a chance than all other candidates of holding onto the QC seats that Mulcair was losing, and which Singh ended up entirely losing.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bring back Pat Martin

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

#belllet'stalk about never watching parliament unless you're paid to as the best form of mental health care.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

DynamicSloth posted:

NDP going to win the next election outflanking the Liberals from the right on foreign policy.

Yeah, was going to post about this also. These feckless assholes have no line when it comes to backing up Israel.

Obviously the IRGC sucks but if they're a terrorist organization then so is the IDF.
It mostly makes no sense to bring back up the designation topic after a very restrained response to having their consulate bombed by Israel.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Drunk Canuck posted:

We all wish Niki Ashton won

And here I thought we had learned our lesson about second-generation politicians.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Fairness for every generation, lol.

Can I trade my free school lunches for a couple decades of insane capital appreciation on multiple properties?

E. Snark notwithstanding, resurrection of the standardized housing design catalogue containing pre-approved designs is nice to see. I hope the line about scaling up prefabricated construction goes somewhere as well.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2024

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah, was going to post about this also. These feckless assholes have no line when it comes to backing up Israel.

Obviously the IRGC sucks but if they're a terrorist organization then so is the IDF.
It mostly makes no sense to bring back up the designation topic after a very restrained response to having their consulate bombed by Israel.

I'm a lesser evil voter as well.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I can not wait for a Carbon Tax Election™.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

McGavin posted:

I can not wait for a Carbon Tax Election™.

Can’t wait to relitigate (again) whether climate change is happening as the country burns to a crisp around us

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I mean Ontario had an election over a loving pointless highway, so even just acknowlging climate change is a bit of progress, no?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I’m picturing our various political parties debating trans bathroom stuff and how its inhumane not to allow people to own multiple houses as our quality of life continues to nosedive.

Already thinking of what protest vote to write in my Tory rear end riding.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

My MP is probably and really shouldn't run for re election even though she's been fine. She's been out like a year plus with cancer.

Terrified of what empty Brampton business suit slumlords the Liberals and NDP will drop into Etobicoke North

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 17, 2024

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
my right-wing boss told me he's voting Trudeau despite hating him specifically because he thinks Poilievre's bitcoin obsession is the stupidest thing to ever exist

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Typo posted:

my right-wing boss told me he's voting Trudeau despite hating him specifically because he thinks Poilievre's bitcoin obsession is the stupidest thing to ever exist

He's not wrong.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Honestly the world economy taking money out of Blackrock and putting it into some shitcoin would probably have a positive impact at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Typo posted:

there is a small glimmer of hope in the world