Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

a primate posted:

Honestly the world economy taking money out of Blackrock and putting it into some shitcoin would probably have a positive impact at this point.

You'll have to show your work on the idea that enriching almost exclusively the most delusional lolbertarian shitheads mostly at the expense of everyone's retirement savings could have a positive impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
As opposed to the current practice of enriching almost exclusively the most delusional lolbertarian shitheads mostly at the expense of everyone's retirement savings

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Banning corporate ownership of anything but huge rental buildings would have huge support. Blackrock is basically the only thing I’ve heard both far left and right people hate on for exactly the same reason.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When they've banned non-individual owner ownership of single family houses the only result has been pricing renters out of neighbourhoods. That's it, that's all it does. But it's very popular red meat populist policy.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Until the NDP supports nationalizing all natural resource companies I don't think I'll be voting for them again.

Bring back all crown corporations and expand them. That would get a lot of votes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

Until the NDP supports nationalizing all natural resource companies I don't think I'll be voting for them again.

Bring back all crown corporations and expand them. That would get a lot of votes.

Aren't most crown corporations handled at the provincial level? I'm all for taking back the means of public-owned corporations, I'm just wondering how many were at the federal level?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Randalor posted:

Aren't most crown corporations handled at the provincial level? I'm all for taking back the means of public-owned corporations, I'm just wondering how many were at the federal level?

Federally its basically the railways, ports, airports etc. Canada has already privatized CN/CP and they spun off Nav Canada as a privately owned non-profit for air traffic control services and charts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh, in that case, gently caress yeah let's reclaim CN and make passenger rail a thing again! I want a way to travel to other cities that don't involve me having to actually drive myself or deal with air travel.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I will take a week to get to Vancouver if it doesn't cost me more than a business class flight to do

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Randalor posted:

Oh, in that case, gently caress yeah let's reclaim CN and make passenger rail a thing again! I want a way to travel to other cities that don't involve me having to actually drive myself or deal with air travel.

VIA rail is still a crown corporation. Just spend twice as much on a train that might be 24 hours late per 1000kms travelled.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I took a train somewhere for the first time a couple of years ago and it really is a nicer way to travel, just uh make sure you don't need to get where you're going on time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Trains are good and also we shouldn't be satisfied with the fact that they're constantly late, that's a fixable problem.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm sure that reddit has a few ideas to make the trains run on time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Alter the schedules so that "on time" is whenever the train arrives?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just get the Japanese to run it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Powershift posted:

VIA rail is still a crown corporation. Just spend twice as much on a train that might be 24 hours late per 1000kms travelled.

Aren't all the lines owned by CN and they prioritize freight over VIA? I'd like an option that would give me an accurate enough time frame that I could actually plan things and not have to assume my train will arrive a day late both ways.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'd put Mulcair ahead of Landlord Singh personally but I'll concede that's based entirely on vibes

Angry Tom was a Zionist, he went after Robinson and Libby Davies and others for criticizing Israel

Drunk Canuck posted:

We all wish Niki Ashton won

Canpol? Not how I remember that time, general consensus seemed very much against her. Not so much for concrete reasons, like her policies - rather her personality, and that she made typical cringe tweets. For some reason there's nothing more important to goons than good tweets!

ARACHTION posted:

I think also one of the big problems is also people’s general theory of change revolves around having “good people in the room”, which is a very neoliberal framework and this includes the NDP. If you have bold policy but do not have the movement to support it, it’s very easy for even well-intentioned advocates to cave when the answer is no from power. Getting average people involved whether it’s community groups, labour etc. is just as much the key as having the good policy makers elected.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3OwnUY2rDGJgVnxyBvedTD?si=EWjW3qERSZSiCaqukT3LNg

This podcast episode is really interesting and helps understand what is the difference between advocacy and mobilizing vs. organizing.

In my union work experience this phenomenon is endemic and most union members just expect that the people in office will do everything for them. This falls strongly on generational lines where Gen x workers are solidly neolib in approach and don’t want to do anything to make the union work, it’s a “I pay my dues and you do it all” mentality, which ultimately is ineffective. Millennial and now zoomer workers think differently and are more likely to see their involvement as critical in success, though I suspect that the housing crisis has put these workers in more dire straights and they have less to lose.

Good post

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If the NDP managed to elect an anti zionist leader, they'd just get buried like they did to the absolute boy Corbyn.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Yeah in the fantasy where Matthew Green is allowed to win the leadership he better immediately turn around and fire all the paid staff or his goose would be cooked from the get go.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

When they've banned non-individual owner ownership of single family houses the only result has been pricing renters out of neighbourhoods. That's it, that's all it does. But it's very popular red meat populist policy.

Can you explain how that happens? My instinct was that corporate buyers drive up prices by having more resources and outbidding individuals buying.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Randalor posted:

I mean for years now they've talked (and I stress talked) about building a high speed rail line along the Quebec Windsor corridor. But the cowards refuse to build it. It would have been a dedicated line away from all the freight train companies like CN/CP allowing for true HSR between major population centres....

Here's the problem though 1) We're in Canada where paying more is a national pastime. So somehow it will become an over budget boondoggle that'll sink whatever govt greenlit the project. 2) Following 1), someone is going to give it all to Bombardier to gently caress up instead of just going to Hitachi for an off the shelf solution like the Chinese did.
3) Most of those high speed rail stations are in the middle of nowhere with minimal last mile transit connections. So you're really only serving Toronto and Montreal with such an arrangement unless they do something extra to make it worth it for the other stops. .

Did I forget to mention public procurement in Canada is turbo expensive and we never get a good deal because we're corrupt?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Meanwhile China has covered half the continent in high speed rail. I want a crumb of that infrastructure spending.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Randalor posted:

Aren't most crown corporations handled at the provincial level?

If by "handled" you mean "sold"

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The amount of howling I'm reading about on the capital gains tax is hilarious. Most won't feel it, and they're crying over how this will stymie innovation and investment.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

Meanwhile China has covered half the continent in high speed rail. I want a crumb of that infrastructure spending.

China laid down more high speed rail track in like less than a decade than America has laid railroads since the industrial revolution. That's with all the bullshit about how American rail barons were paid by the mile so they built zig zagging snaking railroads to make extra money. Even with that China has more miles of HSR track right now in 2024.

For all our talk about being tough on China and competing with them more seriously we aren't doing gently caress all in infrastructure investment or material investment in our citizens to back that talk up.

If this was the cold war and China's current pace of development instead that of the Soviet Union we would be living in a utopia right now just to prove our system was better than theirs. But capital is so entrenched that they've shrugged their shoulders and continued to double down on stock market speculation and asset back debts to keep the gravy train going.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 17, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Syfe posted:

The amount of howling I'm reading about on the capital gains tax is hilarious. Most won't feel it, and they're crying over how this will stymie innovation and investment.

They're trying to create a controversy so the dips & grits fold on it

It might even work, considering

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bleck posted:

If by "handled" you mean "sold"

Listen, I'm deep in denial about how much of our country has been bought and is owned by corporate overlords. I would also love nothing more than to take a baseball bat to Bell and get MTS back from their clutches.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Randalor posted:

Listen, I'm deep in denial about how much of our country has been bought and is owned by corporate overlords. I would also love nothing more than to take a baseball bat to Bell and get MTS back from their clutches.

How the gently caress did the Bell/MTS merger or the Shaw/Rogers merger even pass all the anti-trust laws? I'm reasonably sure if the spirit of the laws was followed this would never have been permitted in say the 1950s.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

How the gently caress did the Bell/MTS merger or the Shaw/Rogers merger even pass all the anti-trust laws? I'm reasonably sure if the spirit of the laws was followed this would never have been permitted in say the 1950s.

I worked at Shaw when the merger was getting looked over by regulators and iirc the CRTC said "Hey maybe this would be bad" and the courts said "Nah it's fine" and the Shaw family got hundreds of billions of dollars and the rest of us got hosed. I may have this wrong as the pandemic was also going on at this time and I ended up getting laid off somewhere in there so it was a whole thing

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

China laid down more high speed rail track in like less than a decade than America has laid railroads since the industrial revolution. That's with all the bullshit about how American rail barons were paid by the mile so they built zig zagging snaking railroads to make extra money. Even with that China has more miles of HSR track right now in 2024.

For all our talk about being tough on China and competing with them more seriously we aren't doing gently caress all in infrastructure investment or material investment in our citizens to back that talk up.

If this was the cold war and China's current pace of development instead that of the Soviet Union we would be living in a utopia right now just to prove our system was better than theirs. But capital is so entrenched that they've shrugged their shoulders and continued to double down on stock market speculation and asset back debts to keep the gravy train going.

Like 99% of the focus of our government and industry is exports. As a country we really kind of suck at funding and promoting innovation and growth at home. The only time good things happen here is when they also happen to benefit a major export.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ARACHTION posted:

Can you explain how that happens? My instinct was that corporate buyers drive up prices by having more resources and outbidding individuals buying.

"corporate buyers" just make houses into rentals. Most apartment buildings and good long term purpose built rentals are owned by "corporate buyers", that's who ends up supplying most of our rental housing. Single family house only neighborhoods generally have little to no rental options. Banning the conversion of owner-occupied houses into rentals does zero to lower the price of buying housing, all it does it lock renters out of a neighbourhood. There's been a couple good studies on places that did this and it did nothing good. It just gross populist policy.

The reason housing is expensive isn't "corporate buyers buying it all up!" it's because there isn't enough housing. That corporate owned housing is rented out, people live in the housing. But it comes back to this classist anti-renter sentiment that's rife in north america. Where renters should live in a big dense housing towers downtown, but hands off our SFH neighbourhoods, those should be owned only be local speculators.

Also the only reason housing is so attractive for bigger speculation-based groups is the scarcity of it. Their own internal reports will explicitly lay out that their earnings absolutely depend on the artificial restriction in housing we've created. People see "corporate ownership" of housing going up as a percentage around the same time prices have shot up and mix up the cause and effect. The prices went up due to a lack of supply, which made housing a more attractive investment.

There's a good Oh the Urbanity episode on this topic. Some lovely Cancon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRqZBuu_Ers

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

"corporate buyers" just make houses into rentals. Most apartment buildings and good long term purpose built rentals are owned by "corporate buyers", that's who ends up supplying most of our rental housing. Single family house only neighborhoods generally have little to no rental options. Banning the conversion of owner-occupied houses into rentals does zero to lower the price of buying housing, all it does it lock renters out of a neighbourhood. There's been a couple good studies on places that did this and it did nothing good. It just gross populist policy.

The reason housing is expensive isn't "corporate buyers buying it all up!" it's because there isn't enough housing. That corporate owned housing is rented out, people live in the housing. But it comes back to this classist anti-renter sentiment that's rife in north america. Where renters should live in a big dense housing towers downtown, but hands off our SFH neighbourhoods, those should be owned only be local speculators.

Also the only reason housing is so attractive for bigger speculation-based groups is the scarcity of it. Their own internal reports will explicitly lay out that their earnings absolutely depend on the artificial restriction in housing we've created. People see "corporate ownership" of housing going up as a percentage around the same time prices have shot up and mix up the cause and effect. The prices went up due to a lack of supply, which made housing a more attractive investment.

There's a good Oh the Urbanity episode on this topic. Some lovely Cancon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRqZBuu_Ers

Thanks for the explainer !

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ZShakespeare posted:

As opposed to the current practice of enriching almost exclusively the most delusional lolbertarian shitheads mostly at the expense of everyone's retirement savings

Funny you should mention that

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPublicServants/comments/1c5xzyj/the_conservative_partys_official_policy/

quote:

The Conservative party's Policy Declaration (which is published here: https://cpcassets.conservative.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/23175001/990863517f7a575.pdf) indicates their party's commitment to switch the public service to a DC-model pension, which is similar to RRSP matching provided by companies in the private sector, and to move away from the current defined benefit model of the Public Service Pension Plan.

Here is the verbatim quote from the linked document on Page 3, Section B-3 "Public Service Excellence": We believe that Public Service benefits and pensions should be comparable to those of similar employees in the private sector, and to the extent that they are not, they should be made comparable to such private sector benefits and pensions in future contract negotiations.

The document goes on to further affirm the Conservative Party's commitment to get rid of the DB pension, here is another verbatim quote from the linked document on Page 10, Section E-33 "Pensions": The Conservative Party is committed to bring public sector pensions in-line with Canadian norms by switching to a defined contribution pension model, which includes employer contributions comparable to the private sector.

In case there are any issues with accessing the link first link, you can find their Policy Declaration under the Governing Documents section of their website: https://www.conservative.ca/about-us/governing-documents/.

Back in 2015, Pierre Poilievre is seen in this CBC News video stating that the Conservative party has no intention of switching the Public Service Pension Plan to a DC model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZD19DMOWMs, directly contradicting what is published in their 2023 Policy Declaration.

Pierre praises how completely funded the PSPP in that video, which is in line with the President of the Treasury Board Anita Anand reporting on the performance of the PSPP this past fiscal year: Of note this year, the report indicates the plan’s strong financial results. As of March 31, 2023, the plan was in a surplus position and the long-term return on assets exceeded performance objectives, which is great news for all plan members (from: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-b...ch-31-2023.html)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, so wtf is wrong with Canadian youth so that 36% of 18 to 29-year-olds support the Conservatives?

Is it just because he's angry and the Liberals and NDP are still singing kumbaya?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Where's that number from?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Abacus Data on March 10th.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's committed vote intention. i.e. People who have already decided who they will vote for, not the entire responding demographic. The people who are undecided are not counted in the result.

At best this tells you Conservative voters are not undecided.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 18, 2024

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I just assume that pollsters pull their numbers for younger people out of their asses since no one but 60+ year old conservatives respond to polls. I don't think li'l pp has anywhere near the support they claim with any demographic.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That specific poll just says that of people who have already decided who they'll vote for, a plurality are Conservatives. I guess it might reflect broader sentiment or whatever, but it also may just mean that people who vote Conservative only vote Conservative. It's not meaningful in terms of figuring out who is going to form a government or who any particular demographic supports.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Same polling ~18 months before the 2021 election: