Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Sure, but arguably that can mean a lot of people who were committed to voting Liberal last time out are on the fence*.

The end result may be the same, but it's not quite "36% of 18-29 year-olds support the Conservatives"

*Possibly because they suck out loud and life has gotten materially worse in that time frame for most of that demographic.

e: I wonder what's driving the hypothetical NDP gains in the 60 and over segment.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm more committed to voting Liberal because the other parties and their leaders have managed to piss me off slightly more than Trudeau has.

It's a sad state of affairs, really. I think "none of the above" would easily win an election now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Being an ABC voter means I have to lie and say I want Mona Fortier to win, which I loving don't, in the hopes that it might keep us from sliding straight into american christian fascism with bitcoin and a renewed assault on my career and pension, which I say in my own personal opinion as an ordinary person and not on behalf of anyone else.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think it's fair to assume we're heading into another "throw the bastards out" election. Unfortunately that means we know exactly the bastards who will be coming in.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...cec7f444a8.html

quote:

Speaker Ted Arnott has prohibited Palestinian kaffiyehs from being worn by anyone — MPPs or guests — in the Ontario legislature over concerns the scarves make “an overt political statement.”

I look forward to yet another court case brought forward by the shortsightedness of our elected government officials. loving moron racist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Huh. Making an overt political statement, in the legislature.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Doug Ford urges reversal on Palestinian kaffiyeh ban at the Ontario legislature

A squirrel with a broken cock still nuts twice a day I guess

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

flakeloaf posted:

Being an ABC voter means I have to lie and say I want Mona Fortier to win, which I loving don't, in the hopes that it might keep us from sliding straight into american christian fascism with bitcoin and a renewed assault on my career and pension, which I say in my own personal opinion as an ordinary person and not on behalf of anyone else.

We're in the same riding and I can assure you you don't need to do that. Even our lovely NDP candidate outperformed the conservatives last election. There is zero chance of anyone but Liberals winning here for the foreseeable future.
You can vote Marxist-Leninist if you like.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The middle class, people working hard to join it and the extremely rich who consider themselves middle class.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Another Bill posted:

The middle class, people working hard to join it and the extremely rich who consider themselves middle class.
It’s cool seeing the mental gymnastics people are doing when they say this stuff. It’s usually things like “sure, it won’t impact you now, but what happens if you become a billionaire?”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Ah, the GTA "middle class"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

More like the Bay Street middle class.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mostly, but a lot of those people live in, like, Oakville

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

McGavin posted:

Ok, so wtf is wrong with Canadian youth so that 36% of 18 to 29-year-olds support the Conservatives?

Is it just because he's angry and the Liberals and NDP are still singing kumbaya?

Houses are a million dollars and no one takes Singh seriously

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Arabian Jesus posted:

Houses are a million dollars and no one takes Singh seriously

I agree this is the reason but supporting the cons over the housing market strikes me as throwing gas on the fire.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Weirdly, a generation of people who are locked out of home ownership and a decent standard of living and don't see a path forward may be willing to just burn things down, on purpose.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

McGavin posted:

Ok, so wtf is wrong with Canadian youth so that 36% of 18 to 29-year-olds support the Conservatives?

Is it just because he's angry and the Liberals and NDP are still singing kumbaya?

The kids are still shitheads in proportion to the rest of the population and they never really truly experienced the Harper years.

Drive out to the country and you'll see plenty of younger dumbasses driving trucks with gently caress Trudeau flags.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Weirdly, a generation of people who are locked out of home ownership and a decent standard of living and don't see a path forward may be willing to just burn things down, on purpose.

Well I hope they still feel great about sticking it to the LPC for being inept when the country is still here after the election except now run by a majority government that's openly hostile to trans and Indigenous people and constantly try opening up an "abortion debate" again.

Edit: Oh and housing will still be stupid expensive

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Those 18 - 39 year olds were going to vote conservative anyway. Whenever I’ve had to engage with younger gently caress Trudeau types, hosing has never once come up as an issue. It’s always “he’s letting in too many immigrants” and/or “he’s too woke and wants to make kids gay”.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

McGavin posted:

Pretty simple honestly, things are pretty hosed at the moment and when that happens you get mad at the guy in charge.

The problem is we’re in essentially a 2 party system and the other party has loving PP

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There legitimately should be a movement to put a permanent ballot option that just dumps all the current party leadership unconditionally

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I remain convinced that the gap between the Libs and Cons drops to 5% the moment the writ drops.

e: Setting up the ultimate comedy option where the Conservatives win the most votes and most seats nationally, but the Liberals and NDP draft a new confidence agreement to keep PP out of power.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Gas is jumping about 14 cents tonight so dont forget to fill up.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Burns posted:

Gas is jumping about 14 cents tonight so dont forget to fill up.

Lol, day late. It's all anyone at work is talking about. And I'm going full Calvin's dad "I hope it goes to 10$ a litre".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

e: Setting up the ultimate comedy option where the Conservatives win the most votes and most seats nationally, but the Liberals and NDP draft a new confidence agreement to keep PP out of power.

The absolute shitfit thrown by the CPC and sympathetic media would be hilarious.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is gas increased by 0.14/L due to taxes or some kind of geopolitical event driving prices up?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Is gas increased by 0.14/L due to taxes or some kind of geopolitical event driving prices up?

Summer blend I think.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Gas prices have always been voodoo anyway

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Kraftwerk posted:

It's profit. They never stop making money, so any increases are profits.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

For the record when gas was like 1.55-1.57/L for regular I crossed the US border and upstate new york is equivalent to 1.12/L CAD.

We're being gouged.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

For the record when gas was like 1.55-1.57/L for regular I crossed the US border and upstate new york is equivalent to 1.12/L CAD.

We're being gouged.

Carbon tax! :argh:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

infernal machines posted:

This and also our society has always been majority liberal/conservative, hence why the official parties just trade spots every couple decades.

Kraftwerk posted:

Like groceries it's just corporate greed, they don't need a material reason!

Another Bill posted:

I remain convinced that the gap between the Libs and Cons drops to 5% the moment the writ drops.

This is where I'm at too, I just don't see much shifting amongst the people I know who are voters. Pollsters & media certainly are trying to convince them tho. But who knows

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kraftwerk posted:

Calumanjaro posted:

Summer blend I think.

A couple of days ago, the news was saying that oil companies are passing on the cost of switching to summer blend gas and the carbon tax. However, today they're just mentioning the summer blend switch.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Willatron posted:

I agree this is the reason but supporting the cons over the housing market strikes me as throwing gas on the fire.

It's because the cons (rightfully) point out that poo poo is hosed up and have a solution for it. The problem, of course, is that their "solution" is won't actually fix anything and will actively harm them. The cons want to EARN your vote by promising you nice things. The liberal parties have no discernible policy. For example, housing. What is their solution? Don't build new homes because they will be l*xury condos, and/or a minor tax rebate that has no tangible benefit. That's it. They think they can slide into a win by saying that they aren't the conservatives and waving a rainbow flag while allowing all of our social safety nets that we actually benefit from to get privatized. If they want people to actually get fired up to vote for them they need to do something to earn it.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

It's because the cons (rightfully) point out that poo poo is hosed up and have a solution for it. The problem, of course, is that their "solution" is won't actually fix anything and will actively harm them. The cons want to EARN your vote by promising you nice things. The liberal parties have no discernible policy. For example, housing. What is their solution? Don't build new homes because they will be l*xury condos, and/or a minor tax rebate that has no tangible benefit. That's it. They think they can slide into a win by saying that they aren't the conservatives and waving a rainbow flag while allowing all of our social safety nets that we actually benefit from to get privatized. If they want people to actually get fired up to vote for them they need to do something to earn it.

Didn't they just pass a massive amount of funding for construction of new housing on public land, though?

I get they're trying to undermine conservative messaging ahead of the next election in doing so, but that's a good thing, right?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I've said this before but anyone who actually launches a program to resolve the housing crisis is wiping out all the equity a chunk of the active voting population is using to finance its post retirement lifestyles. We have spent decades encouraging people to "build equity" and use their homes as piggy banks to live high on the hog. You buy a home, watch it appreciate a few hundred thousand, borrow against it and buy another one. Then you get your tenants to pay the carrying costs with rent. Rinse and repeat.

The same basic framework applies to much of the tech stocks. The reason billionaires are so rich is they keep borrowing against their stock equity hence why the number must go up. If it ever stopped they will have to make some kind of (now taxable) income. But if you keep borrowing off ever rising equity you can pay that back with more equity, rinse and repeat no tax.

It's mind numbingly stupid but it is what it is. Going back to a sane system backed by market fundamentals wipes out the wealth of too many people who have a bigger say in things than us.

The housing crisis and the ineffectual half measures employed to fix it exists because people don't actually want it fixed.

EDIT:
Also hilarious to see our younger selves believing the youth will somehow shift politics to the left as boomers lose influence only to see the conservatives grabbing Gen Z and Gen Alpha and generating a new voting base.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 18, 2024

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Willatron posted:

Didn't they just pass a massive amount of funding for construction of new housing on public land, though?

I get they're trying to undermine conservative messaging ahead of the next election in doing so, but that's a good thing, right?

Yeah it's good, but it's also just drops in the bucket. A huge amount of people have nothing to look forward to in the future because they constantly see things getting worse and worse and more unaffordable for them and no one is really addressing the problem.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well hold on now, first they have to decide if the problem is rapacious capitalism or immigrants and people with dyed hair

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

Yeah it's good, but it's also just drops in the bucket. A huge amount of people have nothing to look forward to in the future because they constantly see things getting worse and worse and more unaffordable for them and no one is really addressing the problem.

Yeah a lot of this stuff has made me grow increasingly disillusioned with Canada. This is not the country it was in the 1980s and 1990s. Everything is expensive, jobs are disappearing and the jobs that remain pay like 60% of the pay that an American equivalent pays and that's before you adjust for currency exchange. I'm not even sure where everyone is finding the money to sustain their lifestyles here when the economic fundamentals are not holding up at all for what it costs to be here.

We also have abysmal productivity ratings relative to other countries, even the US is more productive. And Im not approaching this from a right wing perspective either. This country simply does not respect its people, it does not invest in its people nobody even gives a poo poo.

You want to train yourself to more in demand professions? Go gently caress yourself - pay for it out of pocket.
You want a promotion? Too bad, quit and go work for someone else.
You want more money? Okay - but the moment Weston, Irving and Suncor sees you buy an RTX 4090 they're gonna jack up the price of essentials to take that raise from you so you're back to being net zero on income and not able to afford anything.
How about competition in business? Nah - lets just consolidate everything so its owned by like 5 families.

At this point why don't we stop pretending and just admit we're a feudal society ruled by noble families who have venal privileges and charge us seignorial dues.

This is a country that does not respect its citizens and routinely insults their intelligence and we're all such gluttons for punishment that we sit there and take it up the rear end day in and day out as we watch the goalposts move ever further out each time we gain something.

In 2015 I was making maybe 60k/yr today when I adjust for inflation my pay is about 68k per year in 2015 money. My nominal purchasing power has only increased by 8000 dollars in 10 years and I'm one of the lucky ones. Lots of other people have to get by with a lot less... The only winners here are the boomers and some millennials and gen Xers who focused on home ownership from the day they filed their first T4 slip.

Unfortunately for the time being no political solution to this problem exists. The guys in the blue ties are just spitting out the right noises from their mouths that aggravates and agitates resistance to the status quo but their plan is to further entrench and worsen it once they win the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Our family does well. Two professional incomes. We own a home in a major urban area.

The idea of us having more than $250,000 in capital gain income in a single year is incomprehensible. Only if we sold our home, and principal residences remain tax exempt. This is a tax on the very rich. The Globe and Mail is utterly adrift from reality.

Edit: Also, people will now just start to incur capital events a certain amount each year to avoid the $250,000 threshold. The people who can't avoid this are wildly wealthy.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 18, 2024