Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

you should vote for the people you want to win

That works against you in a FPTP system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm a lesser evil voter which is why I will be writing in Hamas

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Isentropy posted:

Mid content is how we get the Weeknd. More importantly I wonder how hell try to avoid cutting radio Canada which is still a really respectable institution and still covers things people love (e.g. sports)

Say what you will about his music, but he donated a few million bucks to Gaza aid

Kraftwerk posted:

This is why I'll hold my nose and vote Liberal next election. It's futile as gently caress but I can't support the kind of hosed up policies PP wants to ram down our throats while using IDPol and Trudeau grievances as cover. The NDP have zero chance of winning my riding as it's an affluent GTA suburb. So it comes down to a few hundred votes between NDP and Liberal.

I mean, you don't have to listen to me, but if you really hate the grits and are in such a close riding you might want to consider voting dipper. Not that they're truly good obviously, but they are objectively less lovely than the alternative :shrug:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

Say what you will about his music, but he donated a few million bucks to Gaza aid

I mean, you don't have to listen to me, but if you really hate the grits and are in such a close riding you might want to consider voting dipper. Not that they're truly good obviously, but they are objectively less lovely than the alternative :shrug:

I like his music. It's perfect for what he is and he seems to be a nice guy. Not every rapper has to be Kendrick or Lupe.

And yeah honestly I'm not sure what to do in Etobicoke North. Kristy Duncan has been MIA for fighting cancer for a year now. I think if they try to drop in a random Indian slumlord...

1) if she's well she should run, she's been MPP here and wins with 80 pct

2) if she isn't resign and allow the Liberals to choose someone acceptable to the whole community here not just the rich slumlords who profited from fake colleges

3) nothing matters sauve qui peut

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Because we live in hell: the Liberals and NDP will both nominate slumlords who rent to not-just-here-for-the-PR Indians and both lose to a Conservative who is the same.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bleck posted:

Rolling my eyes so hard and fast that I get the Sharingan

Where's the lie, though? Voting for the party most likely to defeat the religious fascists, to avoid a religious fascist government, is the way to stop them from coming to power

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Like sure, the better way is to raise a society that cares more about the truth and the facts than the brainless gibbering of steven harper's facebook bots, and that belives in the system enough to make contributions to it on days other than election day, but that's not the society we raised because the hippies who should be educating us are burnt out from getting the poo poo kicked out of them in packed classrooms full of ten year olds who can't use a toilet or write their own fuckin names. It's hellscapes all the way down, with the rich tories actively making it worse and the crooked grits indolently anchoring the overton window and only promising better in the six months leading up to the next dissolution of parliament, all while the third option hugs its knees in the corner and prays teacher won't call on them to go to the front of the room and do anything

Nobody feels good about voting liberal. We're doing it to stop the people who feel good about voting conservative, and this time around, we do it knowing we're probably going to fail.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Blood Boils posted:

Sorry that’s a typo. I meant the Liberals and Conservatives are within a few hundred votes with the NDP trailing by 5 digits in third place.

Where I live people have actively benefitted from home equity and neoliberal economics. If I walk a few minutes down some streets near my house it’s all McMansions and in some cases literal mansions. This is not the kind of place that is sympathetic to the NDP. You may as well be asking the Bridle Path to vote NDP. So I’d rather not let the cryptofascists win.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 26, 2024

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Like sure, the better way is to raise a society that cares more about the truth and the facts than the brainless gibbering of steven harper's facebook bots, and that belives in the system enough to make contributions to it on days other than election day, but that's not the society we raised because the hippies who should be educating us are burnt out from getting the poo poo kicked out of them in packed classrooms full of ten year olds who can't use a toilet or write their own fuckin names. It's hellscapes all the way down, with the rich tories actively making it worse and the crooked grits indolently anchoring the overton window and only promising better in the six months leading up to the next dissolution of parliament, all while the third option hugs its knees in the corner and prays teacher won't call on them to go to the front of the room and do anything

Nobody feels good about voting liberal. We're doing it to stop the people who feel good about voting conservative, and this time around, we do it knowing we're probably going to fail.

Agreed 100%

Liberal voters are a coalition where the swing vote consists of indifferent baystreet businessmen and wealthy elites whose one and only political interest is to keep people like us from touching the bag. As long as the unwashed masses don’t touch the bag they are happy to cut the donation checks.

The rest of the coalition expects meaningful progress towards a more equitable society and after a decade of indolence will stay home because they realize there’s no good options.

The bay streeters then flip their votes to Tory because either way their core interest of us not touching the bag is addressed.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

flakeloaf posted:

Where's the lie, though? Voting for the party most likely to defeat the religious fascists, to avoid a religious fascist government, is the way to stop them from coming to power

Hot take: the Liberals are religious fascists

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Bleck posted:

No they absolutely are not, they understand that to win the bourgeois you need women

They don't have Leslyn Lewis "trying to get me murdered as a black queer" in their cabinet and they don't loving go to hang out with culty religious churches that ban women from wearing pants

I love computer touchers telling me they're the same so lol nothing matters. Accelerationism dot gif except not as a joke

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah just ask American women, especially in red states, if both parties are the same.

Right wing parties directly benefit from that way of thinking.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I mean ultimately the super wealthy have us right where they want us.

Now when I say the super wealthy I’m not talking about the guy with the corner office who drives a BMW or the guy who managed to buy a 4 bedroom SFH on a 1.5 million dollar mortgage. Ultimately they’re in the same boat as us but are more comfortable than we are. If this was a labor camp they’d be the capos.

But anyway the wealthy land owners and billionaires who secretly run our society locked down the economic system and rigged it so it benefits them. No political party currently in existence has any kind of economic policy that so much as dares shift a penny of money in that balance towards our favor. Macroeconomic policy that helps labor or the working class is simply off the table. It doesn’t exist. The language to describe it is about as dead as Latin and anyone who uses Marxist theory to try and explain it gets laughed off the stage just like someone who knows Latin would if they tried to have a casual talk with you about anything.

So all that’s up for debate are the social issues. That’s what you’re really voting for. Do you want an economically unequal globalist government that is friendly to non male genders, oppressed minorities and the disabled? Or do you want and economically neoliberal government that is parochial and believes in white supremacy and social Darwinism. That’s it. That’s your political choice. You can’t touch the bag. But you can have gay and trans rights. Or you can put them all in jail and revoke women’s rights.

Those are your choices. And they are choices that get a lot of people extremely angry and they turn worker against worker which prevents us from realizing we are all slaves to the rich and should be fighting to balance the economic playing field so we can have some real political power rather than trying to punch down at people who might be different than us over “traditional values” or whatever the latest buzzword is.

I vote the way I do to protect the vulnerable who would suffer even more otherwise. Until I can figure out a way to fight against neoliberalism and unrestricted capitalism it’s all I know how to do.

The difference between liberal and conservative can be summed up as the following:

You are a slave. You get to choose if your slave holder has a whip or not. Vote conservative and someone is going to get whipped. But ultimately you’re still a slave with no power and there is nothing in the table that is available right now for you to change that.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 26, 2024

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Another Bill posted:

Yeah just ask American women, especially in red states, if both parties are the same.

Right wing parties directly benefit from that way of thinking.

I’m not sure that bringing up the party that consistently promised to codify women’s right to health care to get elected over and over again only to never actually do it and allow the aforementioned religious fascists to take it away is a particularly good argument.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Isentropy posted:

No they absolutely are not, they understand that to win the bourgeois you need women

Yeah, and then they spend the entirety of their tenure, at best, doing nothing to help women. Who cares?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

every moron in the thread racing to be the first to say "harm reduction" while patting themselves on the back

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bleck posted:

Yeah, and then they spend the entirety of their tenure, at best, doing nothing to help women. Who cares?

Presuming you mean the Liberals, the national child care plan is huge for women.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

Presuming you mean the Liberals, the national child care plan is huge for women.

I'm glad the NDP pushed them to do it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ZShakespeare posted:

I’m not sure that bringing up the party that consistently promised to codify women’s right to health care to get elected over and over again only to never actually do it and allow the aforementioned religious fascists to take it away is a particularly good argument.

My brother in christ, are you not paying attention to the emerging Gilead everywhere south of the Mason Dixon?

I don't love the Liberals either, but I have daughters and I'd like to protect their reproductive rights. The paradigm has shifted.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I’m sure genocide Joe will succeed at fulfilling his promise where Clinton and Obama, who also made the same promise and were obviously more incompetent failed.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ZShakespeare posted:

I’m sure genocide Joe will succeed at fulfilling his promise where Clinton and Obama, who also made the same promise and were obviously more incompetent failed.

Hmmm what has changed regarding abortion law since Clinton and Obama were president

hmmmmm

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Another Bill posted:

Hmmm what has changed regarding abortion law since Clinton and Obama were president

hmmmmm

The failed promised of the Clinton and Obama administrations allowed the trump administration to actually catch the car?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I hope you feel good all day playing rhetorical games while women are literally being forced to have children they don't want or dying for lack of medical care. I hope it just makes your Friday.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I hope you feel good all day playing rhetorical games while women are literally being forced to have children they don't want or dying for lack of medical care. I hope it just makes your Friday.

If you truly believe that women’s lives hinge on casting a vote once every four years for either 99% hitler or turbohitler, then there is genuinely no hope. I am not one of these people, however, and I believe that voting is, by far, the least impactful thing you can do to affect political change. Right behind posting about it on dead comedy forums.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Another Bill posted:

It's ok, they're owning the libs, you see.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZShakespeare posted:

If you truly believe that women’s lives hinge on casting a vote once every four years for either 99% hitler or turbohitler, then there is genuinely no hope. I am not one of these people, however, and I believe that voting is, by far, the least impactful thing you can do to affect political change. Right behind posting about it on dead comedy forums.

Voting is the most directly impactful thing you can do to affect political change. Indirect things like donating large sums of money, running ads, and doing other things that encourage others to vote are of course more impactful because you only have one vote. If few people don’t take the direct action of voting, however, they won’t have any effect on who leads. This brings up another way of affecting political change, which is to encourage your opponents not to vote by saying things like it doesn’t matter or by emphasizing their representatives’ flaws.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Joe is a way better president for domestic issues than Obama ever was. I’d argue he accomplished more with a slim majority in Congress than Obama ever did with his filibuster proof majority. He also decided to acknowledge at least some of the needs of the Bernie Sanders supporters.

He’s also pro union and is allowing the resurgent labor movement in America to flourish.

The UAW just certified the VW Chattanooga TN plant. Right in the middle of the seat of power of anti labor “Gilead” style states. I set the bar very low but Biden did a running high jump way above where I expected him to. I’d say he’s a way better leader than Trudeau is when it comes to actual substance. As for his stance on I/P issues - yes that sucks. All political leaders are beholden to AIPAC and without AIPAC support you lose the election. So I’d rather pick the genocide supporter who benefits me domestically than the one who treats me like he would treat the Palestinians because I collect a paycheck for a living or happen to be the “wrong” background.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

If you truly believe that women’s lives hinge on casting a vote once every four years for either 99% hitler or turbohitler, then there is genuinely no hope.

The words you're putting in their mouth are disgusting

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Evis posted:

Voting is the most directly impactful thing you can do to affect political change. Indirect things like donating large sums of money, running ads, and doing other things that encourage others to vote are of course more impactful because you only have one vote. If few people don’t take the direct action of voting, however, they won’t have any effect on who leads. This brings up another way of affecting political change, which is to encourage your opponents not to vote by saying things like it doesn’t matter or by emphasizing their representatives’ flaws.

Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, if there were some way to put pressure on elected representatives to adopt policies that would actually encourage people to vote. No, I think the best thing to do is to yell (post) at the voter for the utter failure of neoliberal centrist parties to actually earn your vote.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

The words you're putting in their mouth are disgusting

the words they put in my mouth are disgusting. At least I hedge mine with an "if", because that's what their posts come off as.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Bleck posted:

Can you explain this line of thinking a bit? I don’t know what you’re referring to.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZShakespeare posted:

Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, if there were some way to put pressure on elected representatives to adopt policies that would actually encourage people to vote. No, I think the best thing to do is to yell (post) at the voter for the utter failure of neoliberal centrist parties to actually earn your vote.

Like what? A federal holiday on election day? I would support that.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

the words they put in my mouth are disgusting. At least I hedge mine with an "if", because that's what their posts come off as.

Where did they put words in your mouth?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I would not vote for the genociders

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

Where did they put words in your mouth?

Did you read the post you quoted?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Did you read the post you quoted?

Yes and they weren't putting words in your mouth.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Evis posted:

Like what? A federal holiday on election day? I would support that.

I don't really think that particular policy point would get the Liberals or NDP to stop having dogshit policy that drives down voter engagement. I think that the only way to move that needle is to pressure your MP/MLA directly. For example if they were to applaud a Nazi in parliament it would be a good idea to harass them about it. Maybe do a little protest. Stuff like that. I'm particularly hopeful for the student protests in the states right now, as a good example.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yes and they weren't putting words in your mouth.

Yes they were.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I also find it endlessly amusing that we get to have the perennial voting discourse spat in this thread because things are constantly getting worse and worse despite the having voted against the christofascists for the past 9 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Regularly discussing voting in a politics thread seems appropriate?