Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't really think that particular policy point would get the Liberals or NDP to stop having dogshit policy that drives down voter engagement. I think that the only way to move that needle is to pressure your MP/MLA directly. For example if they were to applaud a Nazi in parliament it would be a good idea to harass them about it. Maybe do a little protest. Stuff like that. I'm particularly hopeful for the student protests in the states right now, as a good example.

What pressure?
We don’t have any resources or leverage!
The only pressure that they’d reasonably notice or react to would get most of us thrown in prison.

Modern society is set up so that while we continuously seem to have less and less to lose what little we do have is too much to lose for us to risk suffering through the kind of real effort it would take to force our political leaders to the bargaining table.

I must remind you all that following WW1 and WW2 you had a majority male population who just risked their lives for your political survival returning to the country with real military experience. Many of them are non commissioned officers or veterans who have put people in the ground and know how to operate weapons and fight a real war.

If you didn’t do something to placate and make these people comfortable and continued to subject them to garbage material conditions they would have eventually mobilized into a full scale revolution.

Compare that to today where we’ve successfully divided allies into distinct camps who consider themselves separate from others despite all being different flavors of oppressed. You’ve got land owners got worked their lives to get on the property ladder that are scared the unhoused will take their expensive slice of paradise away from them. You’ve got blue collar salt of the earth people convinced the earth is flat and the immigrants are coming to take away their jobs and way of life. Finally you’ve got various minorities and young people besieged by both capital and those other groups fighting for their slice of the proverbial pie.

On top of all that is a relentless multi billion dollar propaganda machine that even the fever dreams of Joseph Goebbels couldn’t conceive. A machine that drives us to consume and spend while dividing and atomizing us through algorithms so we become unconscious to the degree of exploitation and artificial divisions we have built around us.

How the gently caress do you fight against that? The second you gain any kind of traction, every bot and media apparatus on the internet will be muddying the waters with a megaphone the size of the moon mainlining propaganda to counter you. All so the interests of the wealthy elites are safe and protected.

There’s no way to construct the mass movement necessary for us to put the real kind of pressure needed. We’re all just those weirdos that get ignored. The people who would normally listen to us and side with us are too busy talking about Klaus Schwab, the great reset and QAnon bullshit due to all the factors I mentioned above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kraftwerk posted:

What pressure?

that's called fascism, btw

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Evis posted:

Regularly discussing voting in a politics thread seems appropriate?

It's specifically the hysterical "If you post in this thread that you aren't going to vote for the 99% Hitler party you might as well be executing women and LGBTQ in the streets personally" part of the voting discourse. Not discussion of voting itself. Those statements, aren't helpful and provide cover for the dogshit politics held by the neoliberal center that directly drive down voter engagement and enable the christofascists to enact the brutal policies for which they advocate.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

It's specifically the hysterical "If you post in this thread that you aren't going to vote for the 99% Hitler party you might as well be executing women and LGBTQ in the streets personally"

Nobody says this. You're the IK inflaming rhetoric right now.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Modern society is set up so that while we continuously seem to have less and less to lose what little we do have is too much to lose for us to risk suffering through the kind of real effort it would take to force our political leaders to the bargaining table.

I must remind you all that following WW1 and WW2 you had a majority male population who just risked their lives for your political survival returning to the country with real military experience. Many of them are non commissioned officers or veterans who have put people in the ground and know how to operate weapons and fight a real war.

If you didn’t do something to placate and make these people comfortable and continued to subject them to garbage material conditions they would have eventually mobilized into a full scale revolution.

Compare that to today where we’ve successfully divided allies into distinct camps who consider themselves separate from others despite all being different flavors of oppressed. You’ve got land owners got worked their lives to get on the property ladder that are scared the unhoused will take their expensive slice of paradise away from them. You’ve got blue collar salt of the earth people convinced the earth is flat and the immigrants are coming to take away their jobs and way of life. Finally you’ve got various minorities and young people besieged by both capital and those other groups fighting for their slice of the proverbial pie.

On top of all that is a relentless multi billion dollar propaganda machine that even the fever dreams of Joseph Goebbels couldn’t conceive. A machine that drives us to consume and spend while dividing and atomizing us through algorithms so we become unconscious to the degree of exploitation and artificial divisions we have built around us.

How the gently caress do you fight against that? The second you gain any kind of traction, every bot and media apparatus on the internet will be muddying the waters with a megaphone the size of the moon mainlining propaganda to counter you. All so the interests of the wealthy elites are safe and protected.

There’s no way to construct the mass movement necessary for us to put the real kind of pressure needed. We’re all just those weirdos that get ignored. The people who would normally listen to us and side with us are too busy talking about Klaus Schwab, the great reset and QAnon bullshit due to all the factors I mentioned above.

I agree with everything you posted here, and it makes me want to give into nihilism because:

Kraftwerk posted:

What pressure?
The only pressure that they’d reasonably notice or react to would get most of us thrown in prison.

If this is true, and I desperately want to believe that it isn't, then we have lost and fighting for a better future is futile.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Fart Amplifier posted:

I know this always comes as a shock to neolibs but saying different words that mean the same thing is not actually meaningfully different enough to justify saying "hey nobody said this"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

If you care to re-read the thread you will discover about a half a page of posts on this topic before I decided to get involved. Being IK doesn't mean I have to set aside my beliefs and be a bloodless liberal enforcing decorum. You all chose me for this position knowing my posting history in this thread. fwiw if the majority of the thread wants me gone, I'll happily tell koos to chose someone else or, more likely, just let the DnD mods come in here and enforce the forum rules.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Bleck posted:

I know this always comes as a shock to neolibs but saying different words that mean the same thing is not actually meaningfully different enough to justify saying "hey nobody said this"

If you advocate for voting for Party A, and I think that Party A is the Hitler Party, then I say that you're advocating for voting for the Hitler Party, I am engaging in propaganda, not honest debate.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

If you advocate for voting for Party A, and I think that Party A is the Hitler Party, then I say that you're advocating for voting for the Hitler Party, I am engaging in propaganda, not honest debate.

This is actually an excellent characterization of people who say "if you don't vote for the Liberal party you are supporting the conservative party". Kudos.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

This is actually an excellent characterization of people who say "if you don't vote for the Liberal party you are supporting the conservative party". Kudos.

So when I described the propaganda you're engaging in, you recognize it as an excellent characterization of something else that you don't like. Will you stop doing the thing that you recognize to be equivalent to a thing that you don't want to see in this thread?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

So when I described the propaganda you're engaging in, you recognize it as an excellent characterization of something else that you don't like. Will you stop doing the thing that you recognize to be equivalent to a thing that you don't want to see in this thread?

Insomuch that on a technical level literally everything posted in this forum is propaganda, I agree with you. I genuinely despise this topic and have probed posters in the past for engaging in it. I thought I might let this one cook a bit but it has obviously been a mistake. I will drop the topic on the condition that all other posters do as well.

e: my CAT submitted a partial post!

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 26, 2024

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I agree with everything you posted here, and it makes me want to give into nihilism because:

If this is true, and I desperately want to believe that it isn't, then we have lost and fighting for a better future is futile.

Every revolutionary movement has a braintrust to harness popular discontent with the status quo.

The French Revolution, Russian Revolution and others took place due to misplays by people in power and outside forces like famines, wars, economic crises or environmental issues that contributed to these things. In all cases the status quo was upset, a wave of popular discontent swept through the country and some people of middle class or bourgeoise background decided it was “their turn” and organized a movement to overthrow the status quo. They did this by taking basic issues such as famine, land reform or other things that upset the lower classes and codified it into a movement that harnessed the unfocused anger of the masses.

Back then all you needed was a printing press. Communities were also more homogenous and intertwined due to the more “organic” way that cities were built and evolved. Spreading an idea was more difficult but doable and it was easier to get a consensus in your community.

Today the very design of cities is such that forming communities is much tougher. The first thing I noticed about moving to Canada and living in suburbs most of my life was how estranged I felt from my neighbours and community compared to Europe. How nobody really says hi to you in the elevator and how nobody really gives a poo poo about their neighbour. Nobody really “knows” each-other and outside of basic societal expectations and decorum we don’t really trust one another either.

Say what you will about religion but it does a good job of glueing people together and I think Christianity had a major role in helping social democratic political movements succeed in Canada among other places. Now even religion has been co opted to advance the interests of capital so you can’t count on it.

But I digress. Fighting for a better future is possible. But it requires a consensus we have been unable to achieve because we have failed to convince people of the truth of our politics today.

The truth is that it doesn’t really matter who you vote for because the rich have purchased all the choices on your ballot that stand a chance of winning and thus the politicians work for them and not us.

To take out your hate or political dissatisfaction on Trudeau or PP or Harper is a waste of time because they aren’t really in charge.

The ones who are really in charge are the Irvings, The Pattisons, The Westons, The Rogers family and the other wealthy people who represent a de facto aristocracy in our country. You won’t get to them by voting. You get to them by threatening their interests in other ways. Those are the people who make the real decisions. Everyone else is a patsy for when that decision pisses you off.

On top of that there’s foreign megacorps who also write the laws and make the decisions.

All that said. Until there’s an outside crisis that somehow undermines the fortunes of these companies or until people become aware where political power in neoliberal countries truly comes from, nothing will change.

To quote a former Stasi officer:
“You can’t shoot capitalism. If you could we’d have done it already”

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Every revolutionary movement has a braintrust to harness popular discontent with the status quo.

The French Revolution, Russian Revolution and others took place due to misplays by people in power and outside forces like famines, wars, economic crises or environmental issues that contributed to these things. In all cases the status quo was upset, a wave of popular discontent swept through the country and some people of middle class or bourgeoise background decided it was “their turn” and organized a movement to overthrow the status quo. They did this by taking basic issues such as famine, land reform or other things that upset the lower classes and codified it into a movement that harnessed the unfocused anger of the masses.

Back then all you needed was a printing press. Communities were also more homogenous and intertwined due to the more “organic” way that cities were built and evolved. Spreading an idea was more difficult but doable and it was easier to get a consensus in your community.

Today the very design of cities is such that forming communities is much tougher. The first thing I noticed about moving to Canada and living in suburbs most of my life was how estranged I felt from my neighbours and community compared to Europe. How nobody really says hi to you in the elevator and how nobody really gives a poo poo about their neighbour. Nobody really “knows” each-other and outside of basic societal expectations and decorum we don’t really trust one another either.

Say what you will about religion but it does a good job of glueing people together and I think Christianity had a major role in helping social democratic political movements succeed in Canada among other places. Now even religion has been co opted to advance the interests of capital so you can’t count on it.

But I digress. Fighting for a better future is possible. But it requires a consensus we have been unable to achieve because we have failed to convince people of the truth of our politics today.

The truth is that it doesn’t really matter who you vote for because the rich have purchased all the choices on your ballot that stand a chance of winning and thus the politicians work for them and not us.

To take out your hate or political dissatisfaction on Trudeau or PP or Harper is a waste of time because they aren’t really in charge.

The ones who are really in charge are the Irvings, The Pattisons, The Westons, The Rogers family and the other wealthy people who represent a de facto aristocracy in our country. You won’t get to them by voting. You get to them by threatening their interests in other ways. Those are the people who make the real decisions. Everyone else is a patsy for when that decision pisses you off.

On top of that there’s foreign megacorps who also write the laws and make the decisions.

All that said. Until there’s an outside crisis that somehow undermines the fortunes of these companies or until people become aware where political power in neoliberal countries truly comes from, nothing will change.

To quote a former Stasi officer:
“You can’t shoot capitalism. If you could we’d have done it already”

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
So what all you posters, despite your differences, are saying are that there is nothing to discuss or debate due to lack of actionable political activity in Canada, with all potentially relevant activities being down in the USA.
Maybe we do not need this thread at all, except for doomposting, since relevant economic policy is discussed in the Canadian debt thread.

RC01214 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

RC01214 posted:

So what all you posters, despite your differences, are saying are that there is nothing to discuss or debate due to lack of actionable political activity in Canada, with all potentially relevant activities being down in the USA.
Maybe we do not need this thread at all, except for doomposting, since relevant economic policy is discussed in the Canadian debt thread.

The thread to me was always a chat room for the more politically interested Canada goons to hang out, shoot the poo poo and vent their frustrations about politics. Occasionally we are disagreeing on the finer points of our mostly aligned political beliefs. Then there’s a one off thread conservative who gets dogpiled. Finally we air out our opinions on current events and elections while the nihilists tell us nothing matters. It helps get through the day and dealing with the frustrations of modern day life.

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
Then it sounds that this thread is better categorized under the LAN subforum, but that subforum seems too specifically regional, so I understand why this thread is here instead.
Unfortunately, I have nothing more to add to this discussion.

RC01214 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 26, 2024

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I say we dissolve Confederation and become a loose association of city states.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah we can agree that electoralism in a system where the press and who can run is controlled by the rich is just a rigged game and the good guys only win by mistake/error. If Niki Ashton or Angus won she'd have gotten the Corbyn treatment

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I've been in and out of this thread for longer than I can remember (since maybe '08?) and I don't think there's ever been anything approaching "Debate and Discussion" in here. It's the whole reason we have the IK system and aren't moderated like the rest of DnD.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

If the NDP managed to elect an anti zionist leader, they'd just get buried like they did to the absolute boy Corbyn.

Isentropy posted:

Yeah we can agree that electoralism in a system where the press and who can run is controlled by the rich is just a rigged game and the good guys only win by mistake/error. If Niki Ashton or Angus won she'd have gotten the Corbyn treatment

Great minds etc.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Voting is the perfect representation of the atomization and individualization of neoliberal ideology. We have people fretting for days about what their individual vote will do, when that is just one tick.

Collective action is what gets positive change happening and a lot of it is currently legal(ish) in our country. At least in BC, there is a huge uptick of unionization, and the people in those new unions are increasingly radical, coming into the movement already aware of its failures and neoliberal co-opting. It’s slow, but it’s happening, and is happening at much more rapid pace in the US, which is great because we’re always a few years behind them.

Look at the UAW strike and its ripple effects. 130% wage gains for some workers, overnight elimination of two tier wage systems. The masterful use of real organizing and strategy when striking. Thousands of workers trying to join them now, unionizing places people said were impossible.

Vote for who you want, vote strategically, don’t vote, or vote 3 times it doesn’t matter individually.

(This next bit is not directed at any one poster, just at the general hopelessness I see in about 40/50% of the population, whom if they were activated could move mountains)

Either way, in my opinion, the biggest hurdle to positive change is the MANY people who agree with you, but don’t believe a better world is possible and won’t take any action to achieve it.

I don’t have time for naysayers anymore. Repeating to yourself that nothing better is ever possible is a nice comfortable blanket that keeps you from ever having to do anything. I am no naive and understand the stranglehold the rich have on everything. But life has always been a constant struggle between good and bad forces, and I know I will spend my time on earth trying to do my part to move it a bit in a better direction.

I’m no utopian, but revolutions have always seemed impossible until they weren’t.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

RC01214 posted:

Then it sounds that this thread is better categorized under the LAN subforum, but that subforum seems too specifically regional, so I understand why this thread is here instead.

how long have you been lurking this thread lol

2 posts and you want to shut it down already

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RC01214 posted:

get out yank

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Arivia posted:

Presuming you mean the Liberals, the national child care plan is huge for women.

The one that'll benefit a vanishingly small, almost certainly means-tested percentage of the populace? That doesn't address any of the material conditions and social strata that led to child care being such a hot button issue in the first place? Conditions and strata that are observably, consistently and enthusiastically fostered by Liberal policy?

If the Liberals even do it at all, which I frankly doubt?

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
I am not a yank! Sorry for jumping the gun on the thread, it just feels very repetitive sometimes, as things have not changed much in Canada since the previous iteration of the thread, except for worse.
If I seem too focused on the USA in previous comments, it is because I feel the federal political parties here are also too focused on following the USA's lead, for better or worse.
ARACHTION said I can contribute more to BC politics by engaging in union activities, but I am not sure what I can do for my union, especially on how to prevent it from being coopted to lower or freeze wages. Any advice on what to do?

RC01214 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 26, 2024

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bleck posted:

The one that'll benefit a vanishingly small, almost certainly means-tested percentage of the populace? That doesn't address any of the material conditions and social strata that led to child care being such a hot button issue in the first place? Conditions and strata that are observably, consistently and enthusiastically fostered by Liberal policy?

If the Liberals even do it at all, which I frankly doubt?

They already did it. The bill passed in 2021 and was why there was all that "Hey there's actually some $10 a day daycare spots now" thing a while ago including fights with the provinces to actually get on board.

The 2016 Canada Child Benefit also dropped the child poverty rate by a significant amount.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They already did it. The bill passed in 2021 and was why there was all that "Hey there's actually some $10 a day daycare spots now" thing a while ago including fights with the provinces to actually get on board.

The 2016 Canada Child Benefit also dropped the child poverty rate by a significant amount.

Yeah here’s the government page going over how it all works for Canadians https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/campaigns/child-care.html

Also I don’t think it’s means-tested or anything it’s government to provider, parents/caregivers just sign up for child care slots as normal

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

ARACHTION posted:

Voting is the perfect representation of the atomization and individualization of neoliberal ideology. We have people fretting for days about what their individual vote will do, when that is just one tick.

Collective action is what gets positive change happening and a lot of it is currently legal(ish) in our country. At least in BC, there is a huge uptick of unionization, and the people in those new unions are increasingly radical, coming into the movement already aware of its failures and neoliberal co-opting. It’s slow, but it’s happening, and is happening at much more rapid pace in the US, which is great because we’re always a few years behind them.

Look at the UAW strike and its ripple effects. 130% wage gains for some workers, overnight elimination of two tier wage systems. The masterful use of real organizing and strategy when striking. Thousands of workers trying to join them now, unionizing places people said were impossible.

Vote for who you want, vote strategically, don’t vote, or vote 3 times it doesn’t matter individually.

(This next bit is not directed at any one poster, just at the general hopelessness I see in about 40/50% of the population, whom if they were activated could move mountains)

Either way, in my opinion, the biggest hurdle to positive change is the MANY people who agree with you, but don’t believe a better world is possible and won’t take any action to achieve it.

I don’t have time for naysayers anymore. Repeating to yourself that nothing better is ever possible is a nice comfortable blanket that keeps you from ever having to do anything. I am no naive and understand the stranglehold the rich have on everything. But life has always been a constant struggle between good and bad forces, and I know I will spend my time on earth trying to do my part to move it a bit in a better direction.

I’m no utopian, but revolutions have always seemed impossible until they weren’t.
I agree with you on collective action being important to wages.
Apologies for repeating my previous post, but If I am already part of a BC Union, what specifically can I do to help my union?
Unfortunately, I do not have friends or family I can convince to join the union nor do they qualify for it, and my coworkers are already part of the union.

RC01214 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 26, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RC01214 posted:

I agree with you on collective action being important to wages.
Apologies for repeating my previous post, but If I am already part of a BC Union, what specifically can I do to help my union?
Unfortunately, I do not have friends or family I can convince to join the union nor do they qualify for it, and my coworkers are already part of the union.

Do you have the time/interest to run for a shop steward or board position? Do you know if your local is active in supporting regional labour initiatives, and if they're not, do you think the leadership would be open to it?

IDK what union you're in and there can be a pretty wide gap in involvement from industry to industry and local to local, but it's a place to start.

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

infernal machines posted:

Do you have the time/interest to run for a shop steward or board position? Do you know if your local is active in supporting regional labour initiatives, and if they're not, do you think the leadership would be open to it?

IDK what union you're in and there can be a pretty wide gap in involvement from industry to industry and local to local, but it's a place to start.

Not sure if I can give any specific union in case I get doxxed, but I might just be paranoid.
Think union is supporting Vancouver's labour initiatives, but unsure of where to find the specifics, save for last year's wage increases and respecting picket lines.
Do not think any shop steward or board positions are open at the moment. Or do you mean Job steward?

RC01214 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 26, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RC01214 posted:

Not sure if I can give any specific union in case I get doxxed, but I might just be paranoid.
Think union is supporting Vancouver's labour initiatives, but unsure of where to find the specifics, save for last year's wage increases.
Do not think any shop steward or board positions are open at the moment. Or do you mean Job steward?

Sorry, shop steward is probably more specific, the general term would be steward. If there aren't any open positions now, would you have the time or interest to run for one during your next election? The idea being you can become more involved in union activities, get to know your fellow members a bit more by helping to represent/engage on their behalf, and ultimately have a position within the local to make suggestions on further involvement in local issues*.

Don't doxx yourself over this or share anything more than you're comfortable with, it's just a very broad suggestion based on your interest in further engagement.

*You may also, in the course of your duties, decide that this is not for you, for whatever reason, but it's good to know.

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

Sorry, shop steward is probably more specific, the general term would be steward. If there aren't any open positions now, would you have the time or interest to run for one during your next election? The idea being you can become more involved in union activities, get to know your fellow members a bit more by helping to represent/engage on their behalf, and ultimately have a position within the local to make suggestions on further involvement in local issues.

Don't doxx yourself over this or share anything more than you're comfortable with, it's just a very broad suggestion based on your interest in further engagement.

I should have enough time to run for a position in the next election, but I am not sure if it will conflict with my existing job.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TIL that the Canadian Pain Society isn’t what it sounds like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

you probably mean something different but it's always funny watching us military ration reviewers get their hands on a canadian IMP and being slightly distressed when a vacuum zipped "Pain" is inside.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RC01214 posted:

I should have enough time to run for a position in the next election, but I am not sure if it will conflict with my existing job.

I should clarify that I am not a union member, but I've worked closely with a number of locals (and their broader federal lobbying orgs) in a few different sectors, providing support and services over the last 15 years. So while I'm not directly involved, I've watched the sausage being made for a while and at this point I've worked with a few of them longer than any of the board have.

I've seen some pretty big shifts in the operation of at least one of them*, and it was all due to the membership deciding they wanted better representation and effectively turning over the board one election. I think it's worked out pretty well for them, and the new president is a lot more engaged in broader labour mobilizations than the old ones ever were.

*And to a lesser extent another, on the lines of equity, inclusion, and representation focus internally

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

During the worst of the supply chain issues at my day job I seriously considered unionizing my workplace and even called the steelworkers union for help. But my coworkers balked at the idea of unionizing the white collar positions and wouldn’t get on board despite frustrations with management. Then people started talking and I backed off.

When I switch careers I plan to be super involved if I become an ALPA member.

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

I should clarify that I am not a union member, but I've worked closely with a number of locals (and their broader federal lobbying orgs) in a few different sectors, providing support and services over the last 15 years. So while I'm not directly involved, I've watched the sausage being made for a while and at this point I've worked with a few of them longer than any of the board have.

I've seen some pretty big shifts in the operation of at least one of them*, and it was all due to the membership deciding they wanted better representation and effectively turning over the board one election. I think it's worked out pretty well for them, and the new president is a lot more engaged in broader labour mobilizations than the old ones ever were.

*And to a lesser extent another, on the lines of equity, inclusion, and representation focus internally

To clarify, I am not certain I can be a job steward and a crown corporation employee at the same time, or is that not an issue?
I also may not be sociable or knowledgeable enough for negotiations either, having just provoked this thread accidentally.

RC01214 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 26, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They're not a C level wrestling Canadian based tag team duo? drat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RC01214 posted:

To clarify, I am not certain I can be a job steward and a crown corporation employee at the same time, or is that not an issue?

I do not know, none of the orgs I work with are crown corps. I don't know why that would be an issue, assuming your union membership stems from your employment for said crown corp, but you could make a call to your local to inquire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

I do not know, none of the orgs I work with are crown corps. I don't know why that would be an issue, assuming your union membership stems from your employment for said crown corp, but you could make a call to your local to inquire.
Primary issue will be conflicting work hours, unless the job steward position supercedes my current position entirely. Commute to work is quite long.