Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You can come back from a ban much faster than a probe so it's not the worst thing to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
...what.....

Last time I benefit of doubt the mods

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pleads posted:

You can come back from a ban much faster than a probe so it's not the worst thing to happen.

He was meant to be ban + probed but the admin removed the probe, too, when they removed the ban

bunnyofdoom posted:

...what.....

Last time I benefit of doubt the mods

The ban being queued wasn't a mistake. The admin in question says that they made a mistake approving it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Herstory Begins Now posted:

He was meant to be ban + probed but the admin removed the probe, too, when they removed the ban

well heck

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Pleads posted:

well heck

That was apparently an accident and has been fixed.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The ban being queued wasn't a mistake. The admin in question says that they made a mistake approving it.

But it should have been approved. That's the issue. Dude was legit denying genocide.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah I agree.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Don't worry about it, we'll get another crack at it in a few days.

In the meantime, let's sit back and watch officials and corporations embarrass themselves with shows of performative grief over the discovery of yet more proof that Canada is a genocidal wasteland

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 30, 2021

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

flakeloaf posted:

In the meantime, let's sit back and watch officials and corporations embarrass themselves with shows of performative grief over the discovery of yet more proof that Canada is a genocidal wasteland

Roll up the rim to reconcile

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

apatheticman posted:

:discourse:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

apatheticman posted:

Excuse me we make you play it on the phone app now :eng101: (thank god, one of the positive changes from covid).

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 31, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I think it's been mentioned before but the BC Health Gateway is loving excellent

Literally all your past doctor visits, prescriptions, vaccinations (and soon apparently) test results all in one place.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Alctel posted:

I think it's been mentioned before but the BC Health Gateway is loving excellent

Literally all your past doctor visits, prescriptions, vaccinations (and soon apparently) test results all in one place.

I live in Ontario and I feel attacked by this post

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
:same:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

apatheticman posted:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

apatheticman posted:

I think we've got a new thread title already! And it continues the theme!

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

pokeyman posted:

I think we've got a new thread title already! And it continues the theme!

Let's make fun of truth and reconciliation in the thread title, terrific idea

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

I live in Ontario and I feel attacked by this post

My last job in Ontario was associated with eHealth and even after 'reforming' it post scandal it was very lmao worthy. I wish I hadn't signed an NDA it'd make a hell of a post.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

redbrouw posted:

Wouldn't be any worse than the farce the Feds are running.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

EvilJoven posted:

My last job in Ontario was associated with eHealth and even after 'reforming' it post scandal it was very lmao worthy. I wish I hadn't signed an NDA it'd make a hell of a post.

NDA's have expiry dates

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

NDA's have expiry dates

this nda will expire in 100,000 hours

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

redbrouw posted:

My apologies. I do not want that in the thread title.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Alctel posted:

Now if the BC Services card worked on my iPhone and not only on my iPad that’d be amazing. But apparently it’s not been working for iOS phone users for months.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ChickenDoodle posted:

Now if the BC Services card worked on my iPhone and not only on my iPad that’d be amazing. But apparently it’s not been working for iOS phone users for months.

Android Supremacy

(I also love the BC services card as I can use it to log into the CRA site just using my fingerprint)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

pokeyman posted:

My apologies. I do not want that in the thread title.

To clarify my joke was also made against the commodification of suffering/grief/pain rather than the TRC itself.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Canuckistan posted:

I got my Pfizer shot in late April through a PEI Public Health clinic and have yet to be contacted by PEI Public Health for a second shot. Meanwhile, pharmacies are now giving Moderna shots and immediately booking 2nd shot appointments for about 5 weeks out. It's very likely that people getting their first Moderna shot today will have their second shot before I get mine.

I'm not going to complain too much because at my age the 1st shot is very effective and PEI isn't due to open up for another three weeks, but I do wish that PEI would move ahead with booking 2nd shots so we can stop wondering.

Yeah, I got mine about 3 weeks ago and still no sign of a second appointment. Just let me book online again like the first time, I'm not sure why they've added this complexity of being contacted for a second shot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ChickenDoodle posted:

I have an Android and have been having an annoying time trying to get it set up. I had to enter a password from a verification email but when I tried to access said email it closed down the app and because the app was closed down it started from the beginning again so I had to request another verification email that I could access on another device so not to close to the BC service card app. Then I had to send a video claiming who I was to get verification which took a few a hours and of course within those few hours the app closed down again meaning I had to request a new verification code via email and take a new video to prove I was who I said I was

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Alctel posted:

Same. otoh it's amazing to have all that info readily available, otoh it's creepy as hell. Not sure I want to know all the drugs I've been on over the years, nevermind the government. :tinfoil:

I installed the BC Services phone app in a desperate attempt to access my CCRA records (you can log in using it instead of the usual CCRA passkeys and whatnot). It could be that the CCRA website is allergic to my browser and the various ad blockers I run, but whatever it was the BC Services app worked and I can get in now.

The wonders of government programming never cease.

edit:

ChickenDoodle posted:

How odd. I'm glad my wife and I didn't know that when we installed and ran it on her iPhone this afternoon. Won't receive the final clearance email until tomorrow so there's still time for it to blow up, I guess.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 31, 2021

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

It's working on my iPhone no problem

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Madkal posted:

I have an Android and have been having an annoying time trying to get it set up. I had to enter a password from a verification email but when I tried to access said email it closed down the app and because the app was closed down it started from the beginning again so I had to request another verification email that I could access on another device so not to close to the BC service card app. Then I had to send a video claiming who I was to get verification which took a few a hours and of course within those few hours the app closed down again meaning I had to request a new verification code via email and take a new video to prove I was who I said I was

I think i just had to do a live video chat which took around 2 minutes

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

redbrouw posted:

I read it as making fun of our government's pathetic attempt at truth and reconciliation, rather than the concept itself.
Not only was the TRC significantly limited in scope (residential schools mostly), but they've barely implemented 10% of the calls to action since the release of the final report.

It has been pointed out that even having 'reconciliation' in the name is a bit of a stretch, implying that there were ever good relations between colonizers and indigenous peoples and that the schools were just a sad interruption to said relations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

I read it as making fun of our government's pathetic attempt at truth and reconciliation, rather than the concept itself.
Not only was the TRC significantly limited in scope (residential schools mostly), but they've barely implemented 10% of the calls to action since the release of the final report.

It has been pointed out that even having 'reconciliation' in the name is a bit of a stretch, implying that there were ever good relations between colonizers and indigenous peoples and that the schools were just a sad interruption to said relations.

As others have noted, the TRC asked the government for $1.5m back in 2009 to do the exact sort of research that has now uncovered these additional murdered children (ground-penetrating radar looking for unmarked graves surrounding residential schools), and the government said no. To me there's maybe no better encapsulation of how limited the TRC process was than that.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

vyelkin posted:

As others have noted, the TRC asked the government for $1.5m back in 2009 to do the exact sort of research that has now uncovered these additional murdered children (ground-penetrating radar looking for unmarked graves surrounding residential schools), and the government said no. To me there's maybe no better encapsulation of how limited the TRC process was than that.

Plus ça change...
https://twitter.com/cblackst/status/1398386259341492228?s=20

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hexigrammus posted:

The wonders of government programming never cease.

My uncle worked on the BC services card project and would bring it up at family dinners. Apparently it supports access controls that allow some cool features. e.g. The merchant at the liquor store doesn’t need to know your address, birthday, or even your name. They need to know that you’re of legal drinking age and that it’s actually you standing in front of them, so you scan your card and they only get a yes/no to sell the booze and your photo and physical features to verify returned from the government database. The queries are logged for auditing and the clerk hasn’t skimmed your other info for identity fraud. At least, it was designed for scenarios like this. When we see it is another story.

Not that they could roll this out quickly enough, but you can see how this system could work as a vaccine passport.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Following up on the fact that the government denied funding in 2009 for further investigation of residential schools the tweet author followed up by finding that there was funding added in 2016 when the government changed.

https://twitter.com/dgardner/status/1399364223478767635?s=20

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Now I guess the apology Harper issued for residential schools makes more sense. People asking for relatively paltry sums to understand the scope of the crimes that were committed? gently caress that, how about some words worth $0 instead?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1399089553718272002

:vince:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As much as I think it's important to actually find the bodies of these victims, I can't shake the feeling that some people are focusing on the wrong aspect of this. This wasn't a mystery, we knew children were being neglected, abused and killed because survivors told us. The discovery of mass graves that resulted from this is outrageous, and it's a sad reminder of what went on, but it shouldn't be a surprise unless you a) didn't believe the stories or b) imagined that all the bodies of the victims simply vanished into non-existence.

These children were dead long before the graves were found, and we knew they were dead because someone killed them, someone buried them, and a bunch of other children knew, and watched, and remembered even if they couldn't do anything about it. They told their stories, those stories have been documented, and the shock at the discovery of these graves has a distinct whiff of "oh my god, I didn't think they were telling the whole truth!"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It was just stories before. Stories are much easier to ignore than the bones of potentially thousands of children.

Check all the schools. Find all the bones. Give them an honorable burial. And create a national day of loving shame. Make sure it's known we are no better than king Leopold or any of the other colonial monsters.

The national mythos of the "nice" Canadian should be buried with those kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Ontario population 14.5 million - 916 new COVID cases today
Manitoba population 1.3 million - 303 new COVID cases today (and that number will actually be higher due to technical issues). Still no meaningful restrictions being enacted, despite anyone with half a brain actively calling for them.

In addition to having transferred 35 patients to out of province ICUs due to the MB Cons healthcare cuts, there's a pretty good chance there will be a nursing strike shortly due to the Pallister government's insulting offer of a 4% wage rollback where a full time nurse would be required to pay back about $20,000 of wages from the last 4+ years. Nurses have been without a contract for 4+ years now.

I am eagerly awaiting Pallister and his cronies to denounce the nurses for being selfish and not being on Team Manitoba, or some other such poo poo.