Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Burns
May 10, 2008

Are anti-whatever convoys just a thing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheCenturion posted:

Well, the symbols came up on my screen as square boxes, so I didn't see any pinching fingers.

And I don't know what 'fredophibic' means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredo_Corleone

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arivia posted:

That’s because it’s Diagolon.

Still ugly, just like their ideology.

And hey look, at least people are talking about Pierre the Prick's little RV adventure:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-trudeau-carbon-protest-alex-jones-diagolon-1.7183430

quote:

In video filmed by the protesters, who have been living at the site for three weeks, Poilievre tells the group to "keep it up" and calls their protest "a good, old-fashioned Canadian tax revolt."

"Everyone hates the tax because everyone's been screwed over," Poilievre is heard saying in the video, which shows protesters with "Axe the tax" and "F--k Trudeau" signs and flags. A car with Make Canada Great Again scrawled on the rear window is seen parked at the site.
"People believed his lies. Everything he said was bullshit, from top to bottom."

What an odious little dipshit.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

In case anyone forgot, the Diagolon assholes PP is cozying up to threatened to rape his wife on their podcast two years ago.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mad Hamish posted:

Still ugly, just like their ideology.

And hey look, at least people are talking about Pierre the Prick's little RV adventure:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-trudeau-carbon-protest-alex-jones-diagolon-1.7183430

What an odious little dipshit.

Dismiss that at your own risk. Lots of people think this country overtaxes them without giving anything in return and I can't blame them. I'm happy to pay the tax necessary to maintain a civilized society with all of the good public services. But it seems most of the burdens on paying for that fall on the people who simply file their T4s on their income tax returns once a year and call it a day. The rich families that run this country are just hoarding all the money, refusing to invest and we are continuously underpaid vs Americans for all but the most menial jobs where the state finally steps up and makes a half decent attempt at helping you. On top of all that the solution to climate change in this country is to simply make everything expensive for everyone except the rich and then patronize everyone for not moving to central Toronto and riding a bike everywhere. You can't have it both ways. You can't discourage fossil fuel use with carbon taxes and other fuckery that makes it more expensive to own a car without making substantial and serious changes to how urban planning is done across all municipalities. So far NIMBYISM has prevented that. The carbon tax in my opinion is just a GST hike - its not about the money, its the principle and spirit behind the idea. If they were building high speed rail and increasing urban density with walkable cities and electrified public transport options I'd all over it. But as it stands right now it just looks like a way for the Liberals to stuff their pockets.

Trudeau and the Liberals have done very little with their mandate to materially help regular people in Canada. They brought in a shitload of immigration via dubious student visa loopholes and other means and then had zero plans for how to house and care for the people who showed up. It just looks like a variation of the TFW program under Harper which was abused to generate cheap labor and depress the labor costs or unionization efforts in the service sector. So yeah if you're just someone who kept their head down and wasn't terminally online like we are you'd be out there waving gently caress Trudeau flags too. Because they don't know any better. He's become a convenient scapegoat for the economic malaise that is plaguing this country.

I don't even know why we're so expensive. It's not like we have any valuable domestic industry outside of a few foreign owned branch plants. Everything is tertiary sector bullshit like finance, real estate, insurance and H1B overflow farms for America's tech sector.

To me Canada is a scam. It's riding on its reputation from the 1980s and 1990s but is not that country anymore. It's dysfunctional and not much better than the US. What good is free healthcare if you're waiting in line for 10 hours or can't even get a primary care physician. Either way you're being denied care. In the US it's because you're too poor and in Canada it's because the system is starved and falling apart. One way or another you aren't getting care.

The problems that this country faces are large, nuanced and complicated. But what remains clear is everyone is frustrated. Housing, cost of living and an indifferent government bureaucracy that is careening off a cliff as massive lineups snake around town for things like passports and social insurance numbers.... or like I dunno, Transport Canada's inability to issue aviation medicals to new pilots for 6+ months at a time. We're a loving joke.

Corporate America is a hellhole with no workers protections but at least they have an actual industry that makes things. We just extract natural resources and collect money from new comers to juice the growth numbers and fake out a working economy. Eventually people are going to get wise and stop coming here because they'll see they've been scammed.

To reiterate, I do not think PP is the solution to these problems and I won't be voting conservative in the next election.
But he is capitalizing on the frustration with the status quo if he and his party win a majority next election that frustration is going to get vented out into space as people convince themselves things will be better now.

Then he probably will "ax the tax" but probably repackage it in a way that has poor people footing the bill. Then he'll go to town on what's left of our decrepit healthcare system and start firing federal employees, and passing right to work legislation to union bust even further.

I wonder how the libs are going to handle the coming CN/CP Rail strike. In the past the management had zero incentive to negotiate because 1 week later the federal govt legislates them back to work. This time around maybe the Libs and NDP will figure they need those 9000 votes if they want to have any hope of re-election.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 25, 2024

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Another Bill posted:

In case anyone forgot, the Diagolon assholes PP is cozying up to threatened to rape his wife on their podcast two years ago.

Conveniently, the article I linked states this very plainly. This was something I'd been unaware of beforehand, and I wish I could say I was surprised that Pierre the Prick is now stanning for these freaks. He's like Ted Cruz but without the skill in using government.

I had no idea before reading it that Alex loving Jones was a Pollievre fan, but of loving course he is.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Not giving a poo poo about threats of violence against women is on the first page of the Conservatism instruction manual.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I agree with most all of this. The Liberals hosed up majorly by not investing in greener technologies, like high speed rail or renewable energy solutions, and screaming from the hilltops THIS IS WHAT THE CARBON TAX IS PAYING FOR. Instead they bought a white elephant pipeline that will never be profitable.

I mean, everywhere I go in Ontario there are signs on infrastructure projects that say BUILDING ONTARIO. Doug Ford at least got that part right, even if they are a bunch of corporate handouts to his supporters' companies.

e: all the EV and lithium battery plant subsidies in the world won't matter if we're burning coal and gas to charge our cars

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 25, 2024

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Another Bill posted:

I agree with most all of this. The Liberals hosed up majorly by not investing in greener technologies, like high speed rail or renewable energy solutions, and screaming from the hilltops THIS IS WHAT THE CARBON TAX IS PAYING FOR. Instead they bought a white elephant pipeline that will never be profitable.

I mean, everywhere I go in Ontario there are signs on infrastructure projects that say BUILDING ONTARIO. Doug Ford at least got that part right, even if they are a bunch of corporate handouts to his supporters' companies.

e: all the EV and lithium battery plant subsidies in the world won't matter if we're burning coal and gas to charge our cars

Agree.
It's a travesty that HSR Windsor-Quebec wasn't built 20 years ago but it's still something that should have gotten major investment as soon as the Liberals were in power.

That said, the provinces are basically all conservative and they control municipal design/planning which is a big problem. The feds should have put way more pressure via funding, way earlier, and had the spine to ignore the whining about MUH JURISDICTION.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Anyone complaining how Canada "used to be better" just needs to take a look at the top marginal tax rate in place at the time.

Canada sucks because the rich aren't paying their share.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
https://twitter.com/krushowy/status/1783506200736272508

Genuinely didn't think I'd see an Anglo province try to race Quebec to the bottom on it's overt racism but in retrospect it's the least surprising thing ever.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 25, 2024

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

McGavin posted:

Anyone complaining how Canada "used to be better" just needs to take a look at the top marginal tax rate in place at the time.

Canada sucks because the rich aren't paying their share.

Yes which I said at the top of my original post. But it’s more than that.
There’s been a mandate since the Mulroney era to undo government involvement in literally everything. To privatize and restructure public housing to private housing and to spend little to nothing on infrastructure. Chrétien oversaw the largest contraction in public service spending in Canadian history. Those very same liberals we look to protect public services were the ones who did the most damage that not even Harper was able to achieve in his most fever dreams.

They’ve almost privatized all the crown corporations and continue to outsource essential frontline public services to private contractors loosely governed by provincial and federal governments.

Just look at Ford wanting to put Service Ontario kiosks in shoppers drug mart locations.

I’m deeply fortunate that my personal circumstances may lead to a very lucrative career in a few years and I’m probably one of very few people who might be able to eke out a very nice middle class lifestyle in the United States provided I don’t suffer any serious health issues. So I may just move there. Not for the politics but because it represents the largest material improvement in my standard of living that I can personally achieve in the absence of any major macroeconomic or political changes.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/MaritStiles/status/1783529594710089735?t=l_lvsHIQ8lrIY4cF-rAoQQ&s=19

Hmm I wonder WHY IS SARAH SITTING AS A INDEPENDENT MPP, MARIT?!

JUST WANTING TO REMEMBER THE PART THAT LED TO THIS

You opportunistic fucker

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Not really familiar with Ontario Politics aside from when they are comically evil. What's the story there?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

Not really familiar with Ontario Politics aside from when they are comically evil. What's the story there?

buddy, they won't even let me support palestine

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Jama was in the ONDP and right after the Oct 7th attack made a post saying that the occupation of Palestine should end. Ford's government then censured her and Stiles' NDP kicked her out.

Edit: here's more

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Less Fat Luke posted:

Jama was in the ONDP and right after the Oct 7th attack made a post saying that the occupation of Palestine should end. Ford's government then censured her and Stiles' NDP kicked her out.

More to correct to say that the NDP kicked her out simultaneously or moments before she was censured ensuring the story of the unprecedented censure was buried. Stiles rushed to make sure she was fired that day without so much as meeting with Jama or consulting anyone in caucus, presumably because she didn't want the story to be "NDP votes against censuring Jama".

She really is the worst NDP leader at any level in quite a long time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

More to correct to say that the NDP kicked her out simultaneously or moments before she was censured ensuring the story of the unprecedented censure was buried. Stiles rushed to make sure she was fired that day without so much as meeting with Jama or consulting anyone in caucus, presumably because she didn't want the story to be "NDP votes against censuring Jama".

She really is the worst NDP leader at any level in quite a long time.

It should be noted we know Stiles didn’t consult others in caucus, because other NDP MPPs went on the record saying “we didn’t get asked, and if we had been asked, we wouldn’t have approved of kicking her out.” So Stiles hosed up so hard her own MPPs pierced caucus secrecy to make it clear they didn’t agree with kicking Jama out.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

Lol for suing the priemeir for libeling her as a terrorist...

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Arivia posted:

It should be noted we know Stiles didn’t consult others in caucus, because other NDP MPPs went on the record saying “we didn’t get asked, and if we had been asked, we wouldn’t have approved of kicking her out.” So Stiles hosed up so hard her own MPPs pierced caucus secrecy to make it clear they didn’t agree with kicking Jama out.

Yes, though I believe it was just Dr. Jill Andrew the sole survivor of a once vibrant black caucus who spoke out (for which she was labeled "unhelpful" by the Deputy Leader Doly Begum). Every single other ONDP MPP sat on their thumbs when Stiles initially implied it had been a caucus approved decision and to my knowledge none have spoked out since.

Segue
May 23, 2007

The Liberals hosed up but given that education and health are provincial responsibilities, it's frustrating this all fell on their wishy washy asses. They realized far too late they have a stick they can use, and it's too little too late.

A big part of the post-secondary crisis in Ontario was Ford opening up colleges to just sell syllabuses to scam institutions, which the Wynne government had expressly vetoed. Ford has frozen the payment system for family doctors so all the slots go unfilled because there's no monetary gain.

After years of being mismanaged it's kind of remarkable to see the good vibes coming out of BC and Manitoba as their Premiers jump on with federal funding and look to meaningfully improve lives. While Ontario is running record deficits for no material benefit whatsoever.

And given the low information voters that re-elected Ford, I'm confident Poilievre will benefit from the same, dismantle institutions, and make things much worse but face little pushback from his supporters because he justifies their identity politics. It's not great times!

Also, the one thing I think a lot of people will notice is he and his supporters are very anti-CBC and he's ideologically committed to cutting all its funding. With the lack of rural news and Canadian content (mid as it is) that's gonna be a hard thing to bring back

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Segue posted:

The Liberals hosed up but given that education and health are provincial responsibilities, it's frustrating this all fell on their wishy washy asses. They realized far too late they have a stick they can use, and it's too little too late.

A big part of the post-secondary crisis in Ontario was Ford opening up colleges to just sell syllabuses to scam institutions, which the Wynne government had expressly vetoed. Ford has frozen the payment system for family doctors so all the slots go unfilled because there's no monetary gain.

After years of being mismanaged it's kind of remarkable to see the good vibes coming out of BC and Manitoba as their Premiers jump on with federal funding and look to meaningfully improve lives. While Ontario is running record deficits for no material benefit whatsoever.

And given the low information voters that re-elected Ford, I'm confident Poilievre will benefit from the same, dismantle institutions, and make things much worse but face little pushback from his supporters because he justifies their identity politics. It's not great times!

Also, the one thing I think a lot of people will notice is he and his supporters are very anti-CBC and he's ideologically committed to cutting all its funding. With the lack of rural news and Canadian content (mid as it is) that's gonna be a hard thing to bring back

Mid content is how we get the Weeknd. More importantly I wonder how hell try to avoid cutting radio Canada which is still a really respectable institution and still covers things people love (e.g. sports)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

This is why I'll hold my nose and vote Liberal next election. It's futile as gently caress but I can't support the kind of hosed up policies PP wants to ram down our throats while using IDPol and Trudeau grievances as cover. The NDP have zero chance of winning my riding as it's an affluent GTA suburb. So it comes down to a few hundred votes between NDP and Liberal.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/MaritStiles/status/1783529594710089735?t=l_lvsHIQ8lrIY4cF-rAoQQ&s=19

Hmm I wonder WHY IS SARAH SITTING AS A INDEPENDENT MPP, MARIT?!

JUST WANTING TO REMEMBER THE PART THAT LED TO THIS

You opportunistic fucker

Nili Kaplan-Myrth never missing an opportunity to defend genocidal Israel.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kraftwerk posted:

This is why I'll hold my nose and vote Liberal next election.

Yeah I can't just sit idly by as the PP Cons build pipelines and dismantle Canadian institutions and economies, we gotta bring in the Libs instead that will, uh, they'll uh, well they'll, um,

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Bleck posted:

Yeah I can't just sit idly by as the PP Cons build pipelines and dismantle Canadian institutions and economies, we gotta bring in the Libs instead that will, uh, they'll uh, well they'll, um,

It's harm mitigation at this point. Choosing vaping over smoking in the absence of anything more viable.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Well, the libs do all that poo poo but without open persecution of marginalized communities to sate the bloodlust of an Evangelical base, which isn't nothing.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Also no matter what they say leading up to election day, the Conservatives will 100% try to roll back abortion access in Canada if they form the next government. A plurality of their constituency and their MPs watch Fox News daily, have seen the repeal of Roe v Wade and will want to do the same to women here.

I imagine it will be the same argument, but replace "states' rights" with "healthcare is provincial jurisdiction."

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Another Bill posted:

Also no matter what they say leading up to election day, the Conservatives will 100% try to roll back abortion access in Canada if they form the next government. A plurality of their constituency and their MPs watch Fox News daily, have seen the repeal of Roe v Wade and will want to do the same to women here.

I imagine it will be the same argument, but replace "states' rights" with "healthcare is provincial jurisdiction."

What makes you think Orangeman Blaine Higgs will do that first thing?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Didn't a few conservative MPs try to bring it up twice already and PP played it down in a very "Shhhh shut up about abortion until we win guys" kind of way? I don't really recall, honest question.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

The obvious route to erode abortion rights is via the provinces, all Milhouse has to do is to refrain from using the Canada Health Act strings to push back.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm glad everyone around at the time kept him from offing himself, but I don't think I ought to have been probated for telling him to gently caress himself, given the circumstances.

I ate a 30 over that, taking your side. Last time this came up, I learned the mod handing out the terrible probes that week was justly run off the site shortly thereafter. So there's that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

It's harm mitigation at this point.

Rolling my eyes so hard and fast that I get the Sharingan

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

This is why I'll hold my nose and vote Liberal next election. It's futile as gently caress but I can't support the kind of hosed up policies PP wants to ram down our throats while using IDPol and Trudeau grievances as cover. The NDP have zero chance of winning my riding as it's an affluent GTA suburb. So it comes down to a few hundred votes between NDP and Liberal.

you should vote for the people you want to win

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

Rolling my eyes so hard and fast that I get the Sharingan

Bleck do you want the world’s most divorced dad Prime Minister or a guy whose acting title might as well be 2 degrees removed from The Minority Extinguisher, Now With Bitcoin

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
To be clear I want the NDP to win and my current intent is to vote for them but it would be very deeply stupid to pretend otherwise as to who’s going to likely win from that because FPTP lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strategic voting is fine. So long as people actually understand how it works.

My dad voted for the Libs federally last election because he thought he had to hold his nose and vote for them because "it's too close with the conservatives" except it doesn't work that way, it's riding per riding. The contest in our riding was entirely between the NDP and Greens with the Liberals a distant 3rd and the cons barely existing. I tried to explain how stupid this was but I'm not sure he understood.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fried Watermelon posted:

you should vote for the people you want to win

I don't want any of the current options to win, they are all poo poo from an rear end.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If an option were put on the ballot to eject every current leader from Parliament I would hammer down on it so fast my bones would crack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I'd vote for a lifetime ban on any MP who clapped for the Nazi.