Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I worked on the project to connect Parliament to the internet in the early 90s and those folks seemed to be OK. Same with the people we built gov.on.ca for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can you folks just kiss and get it over with?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

am I not supposed to post here if I also post in CSPAM? I wonder which faction would be more upset by the crossover

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vintersorg posted:

Honestly, more poo poo like this - just be real, gently caress decorum. Messy hair, mad - do it. This world doesn't need pleasantries .

this is also the poo poo that Bell’s government affairs people are least equipped to deal with

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I don’t want their loving voicemail either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tighclops posted:

outstanding work, full support

best mod action I’ve seen in some time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apatheticman posted:

Dropping the news of your lawsuit on the friday before a long weekend is good right?

Lots of time for press interviews over the next 3 days!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like someone on that discord is in the pocket of Big Carbon Monoxide.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RBC posted:

The loving guys name is a mispelling of genius? Lmao

This post is bait.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fidelitious posted:

This town only has around 5,000 people. 13% of the entire town cared enough to go out and vote against crosswalks. That's way too many.

Yes, apathy on the remaining part of the town led to this, but that's a large enough number to indicate an endemic hatred in the population of this town.

Yeah, 25 more people voting for decency wouldn’t have altered the primary dynamic, which is that there is sufficient social support for bigotry that people are comfortable publicly organizing these campaigns in the first place.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flair is actually better than most of these airlines that I’ve looked at in the past, because it’s all pretty clear on their “optional fees” page. I don’t think most people think of cancellation as an optional fee, but it’s close enough.

The cancellation fees are independent of the price of the ticket, and added up quite badly in this case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Poverty is a systematic stressor, which definitely affects the quality of decision making and other executive function (as does any stressor). See also: “why don’t they just cook from scratch when they get home from their lovely job plus long commute and start looking after their kids, it’s a much more economically-rational approach?”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MikeC posted:

And there was zero agency with regards to how this hypothetical individual ended up with a lovely job at the end of a long commute yet still decided children, with all their financial burdens were a good choice despite their precarious financial situation.

This is a bit, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Precambrian Video Games posted:

You're so close to fully understanding the issue here.

I’m not sure you’re correct.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MikeC posted:

human dignity

you guys are wrong, this has to be a bit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I don't know much of anything about the theory of LLMs, but it's frankly bizarre that they don't seem to have included any sort of confidence metric. They'll happily hallucinate an answer to an unanswerable question, present it with complete confidence, and if told they’re wrong, happily hallucinate a different answer with complete confidence.

They have a “temperature” setting for controlling how much hallucination is permitted (making low-probability tokens more or less likely). The confidence metrics you can get from an LLM are basically per-token and don’t (indeed, can’t) reflect how close the generated sequence is in semantic meaning to assertions from the input set. LLMs operate on text patterns, not factual associations, and the chief failure in their application is confusing “plausible sequences of words” with “reasoning a human would use to produce those sequences”. There are a lot of tasks that can be mapped more or less successfully to analogical transformation of text, and LLMs really do best when sticking to those.

My daughter was precocious in terms of speech, and I routinely had to remind myself that adult-like diction and vocabulary didn’t indicate adult-like reasoning or knowledge. It’s the same thing here, except that my daughter grew up faster than the AI models will IMO.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oxyclean posted:

When people hear "AI" they are rightfully cynical about what the implications are because investors are by and large, loving morons.

as a former professional AI investor, I agree with this

(one of my investments was a seed stage in a Canadian AI hardware company that’s now “worth” a billion, so at least that part went well)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can write some bullet points and use ChatGPT to turn it into paragraphs of prose. My recipients will then have ChatGPT produce a summary of the text as bullet points.

I’ve started just sending the raw bullet points and saving a few kWh per email.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People do that with spreadsheets and random metrics graphs and such that might be entirely disconnected from reality, too, to say nothing of TikTok stars and religious figures.

We’re a credulous species, biologically biased to believe that what we’re hearing or seeing is true.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Joink posted:

This is the modern day version of quoting Wikipedia as your source for an essay.

Way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WHO KILLED THE INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE REGION, JAGMEET?